ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choose all that apply: any of the stimuli listed below too much for you?
Sensitivity to clothing (elastic, tags, etc.) 283 57.64%
Sensitivity to food textures 193 39.31%
Sensitive skin (slimy, to describe smooth surfaces, etc.) 182 37.07%
Sensitive to heat/cold 270 54.99%
Sensitive hearing/to certain noises 396 80.65%
Sensitivity to being touched 314 63.95%
Claustrophobia 156 31.77%
Sensitive to certain smells 262 53.36%
Other (please post your Other stimulus below) 76 15.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-05, 12:35 PM

markmark is on a distinguished road
Question

Reading this forum I am fascinated by all the combiinations and variations of sensitivity that people suffer, and also count myself lucky that I don't have them all.

My overwhelming sensitivity has always been noise. Its come close to ruining my life at times. I've moved almost 15 times in as many years trying to find somewhere thats quiet at night so I can sleep, but invariably you can always hear something. Earplugs and white noise from the radio do help but its been a real nightmare for as long as I can remember.

My question is this: Has anyone ever found their sensitivity funny?

While noise always keeps awake at night there are noises during the day that make me laugh uncontrollably. People think I'm crazy, the sound of an electronic phone ringing off pitch if its been damaged maybe. Or someone trying to over-stuff an already full bin (trash can) which might make the contents starting squeaking. I find that hilarious. Anything that makes inanimate objects seem like they have a personality I get a great laugh out of.

I love music obviously and listening to different peoples accents and intonation is fascinating, however I would probably trade some of it to able to "switch off" the unwanted noise hell.

The itchy/scratchy annoying clothes thing I had big problems with as a kid - I used to cut holes in clothes I didn't like - obviously my parents were infuriated and thought I was mad.
Old 11-24-05, 01:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
markmark

If you have not had your hearing checked , you should go to an audiologist and get tested. There are a number of hearing problems that can lead to hyperacousus (hypersensitivity to sound). It can be debilitating if you let it get out of hand. See your doc...

As far as funny hypersensitivities go...

My hypersensitivities affect all the senses, but only one sense at a time. The strongest is sound. Sound owns me at all times. Sight and touch are a lot lesser than my sensitivity to sound, but can be severe at times. Sensitivity to scent seems to be less frequent, and hypersensitivity to taste seems to be kind of rare for me.

Yes. I am often amused by little "tweaks" that my senses give me. My continual war with things that squeak is a source of amusement. I keep a can of spray silicone grease handy, and I relentlessly chase down annoying squeaks and rattles...

Another thing that makes me laugh sometimes is the fact that I sometimes have spatial dislocation of sound. (a feature of my damaged hearing)

One particular incident involved a phone 20 feet away and to my left ringing and my ears were telling me that it was about 3 feet in front of me , slightly to my right ... in midair... I instinctively reached to grab for a phone that was not there!

OR talking with someone in a 7th floor office and conversation sounds in the hallway sounded as though they were coming from outside the window behind me (300 feet above ground!).

It can be very disorienting when a sound seems to come from everywhere or it seems to move from one place to another. Someitimes it is amusing. Usually it is annoying.

I sometimes find certain sounds or textures fascinating. I like my music a little loud and sometiime sounds of certain frequencies will surprise me... and can literally startle me enough to make me jump. If I am very sensitive I won't listen to music as it will simply make things worse even if I like the music I am listening to.

The texture of paper napkins is sometimes so funny to my sense of touch at times. I can feel the individual fibers sticking up and it tickles my fingertips when I rub a napkin.

Those braille signs in elevators feel really neat when I am hypersensitive.

Hypersensitive sense of taste is always nice to me. Some food and beverages are very yummy at those times.

Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmark
Reading this forum I am fascinated by all the combiinations and variations of sensitivity that people suffer, and also count myself lucky that I don't have them all.

My overwhelming sensitivity has always been noise. Its come close to ruining my life at times. I've moved almost 15 times in as many years trying to find somewhere thats quiet at night so I can sleep, but invariably you can always hear something. Earplugs and white noise from the radio do help but its been a real nightmare for as long as I can remember.

My question is this: Has anyone ever found their sensitivity funny?

While noise always keeps awake at night there are noises during the day that make me laugh uncontrollably. People think I'm crazy, the sound of an electronic phone ringing off pitch if its been damaged maybe. Or someone trying to over-stuff an already full bin (trash can) which might make the contents starting squeaking. I find that hilarious. Anything that makes inanimate objects seem like they have a personality I get a great laugh out of.

I love music obviously and listening to different peoples accents and intonation is fascinating, however I would probably trade some of it to able to "switch off" the unwanted noise hell.

The itchy/scratchy annoying clothes thing I had big problems with as a kid - I used to cut holes in clothes I didn't like - obviously my parents were infuriated and thought I was mad.
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 12-02-05, 04:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

Braack is on a distinguished road
I'm really sensitive to lights. Always make me move my eyes to the light source...except when waking up or bright lights that are painful. Those kind of lights, like turning on the lights to wake up in the morning, one of the most painful things I go through every day
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-05, 02:35 AM
Forum Guru

INaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of light
This is a funny thread. I work with children with Autism who have multiple sensory dysfunctions. I often wonder WHAT they're giggling about at times. LOL
Old 08-27-06, 03:20 AM
Jr Member

Backlash is on a distinguished road
Such a wonderful feeling to have others understand this!!

Touch: I can't stand the feel of wet cotton, like t-shirt material, against my fingernails. I have to stop and wring my hands to be rid of the feeling. Denim, terry, anything else is fine. I'm also one of those that can only (with very, very few exceptions) wear raw silk, linen, or cotton. I can't stand gabradine or polyester. I don't like to be touched or for others to stand too close if I don't know them very well. It's a struggle not to shrug off and get angry with my 2yo daughter when she tries to climb my back when I'm sitting or wants to hang on me. I'm not claustrophobic, but can't wear a nightgown or have my legs trapped. I'm getting to the point where I can't stand it being too hot, which personally I believe has more to do with my body temp being 97.2. I once went into shock and couldn't stand up for five minutes when I smashed my fingers against a concrete fence.

"I have to have blankets with smooth silky like edges on them and when I'm laying in bed or sitting on it I need to play with the "edgies". I play with them using my hands or feet...and I even love moving my face along it. When I say I play with them, I fold the edges then smooth them out with my hands, I string them in and out between my fingers and/or toes."

Y'know, you're the only other person I know that does this? I let DH know with no uncertain terms when we got together that any blanket or sheet with the silk-type bias trim was mine, as I simply had to fold a part into a tiny point and proceed to run it over and around my fingers and toes and my face.

Sound: My hearing is hyper-sensitive. I cringe at the sound of the cardboard tray sliding back into the sleeve with the 2 1/2 doz. egg container. Too much treble on a stereo system sends me running to adjust it or out the door. Emergency vehicle sirens hurt; I've been known to pull over and cover my ears while driving. My daughter can scream at a pitch that makes my eardrums warble; my hearing distorts. I'm one of those that can hear the hum and buzz of the computer monitor and florescent lights. The few good side effects are perfect pitch, being able to tell you exactly what a sound is and where it's coming from, and a distinct memory for voices (I'm a great mimic).

I'm very light-sensitive. I have to squint before opening the door to go out or have sunglasses already on, especially in the summer. Being in bright lights all day, even in an office, will give me a headache. The flip side is being able to almost see in the dark.

There really isn't anything I won't eat, except boiled okra, and that is simply due to it's resemblence to snot.

I'm one of those that have to smell everything. The smell of new vinyl gives me a headache; I have to leave whatever it is outside until the smell is gone. I smoke (am quitting!), but can't be closed up with the smell. The cleaning and air freshener isle is a horror, and I refuse to go down it. There are only a few perfumes I can wear. Newsprint and some copy paper smells like pumpkins. I had to hunt to find a shaving gel that had almost no smell. I love the smell of Campho-Phinique and bleach. Go figure.
Old 08-28-06, 07:03 PM
Jr Member

shteklatte is on a distinguished road

hmmm, bleeeaach...
Old 08-28-06, 08:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

pershingd will become famous soon enough
I checked "other" so I better post.

I am sensitive to emotionally charged environments. If the emotions are going full tilt, I'm looking for an exit.

Its like other people's emotions interferes with my ability to perceive the situation and therefore interferes with my abitility to process things rationally. I don't even have to be involved in the situation. The wife and I were at a restaurant once and the people a few tables over were having a dispute. Even though we could not hear what they were arguing about, I felt my temper rise to the point that I lost my appetite and had to leave the restaurant shortly after the manager made the couple leave. Fortunately for me, my wife understands and accept that these things happen with me and can often spot the changes in me before I can.

David
Old 08-28-06, 08:14 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
For those who may be new, a few pals here allow me to embrace my "dash of autism"...I checked all but one box .
Old 10-06-06, 04:49 AM

JmeB78 is on a distinguished road
I voted seneitive to clothes because my son Shane can't stand tags in the back of his shirt, and also the toe of socks where the seam is. He will take his shoes off, and adjust his socks several times before it is right.
Jamie
Old 12-14-06, 03:55 PM

~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of
Question Hypersensitivity

Sorry this post is a little long but I had much to say
I know even without benefit of a doctor diagnosis that right along with my A.D D, and Dyscalculia, I definitely have Sensory Intergration Disorder. My mother has baby pictures of me exhibiting that old startle reflex long past the age when it's expected to disappear. I was and am still hyper-alert to strange and/or loud noises, even soft noises like clicking fingernails against a table or a repetitious bird call irritates me to the point of hair-pulling Distraction! Too much movement going on around me makes me as dizzy as if I was riding on those "Drunken Barrel" ride at Six Flags. If some-one touches me unexpectedly I jump as though electrocuted. Seams in my socks really bother me. I wear mine inside-out and stretch them so the seam sits in a less sensitive area.I hate clothing labels at the back of my neck and absolutely avoid elasticized polyester stretch pants like the black plague! Most disconcerting of all is the un-explained all-over skin itching that occurs and the unexplained ear touch sensitivity that has caused two fainting spells.
Anyone else out there have this odd ear touch sensitivity that's located not in my lobe but in the upper part of my ears? I would really like to know if I'm alone in this or are there others out there who suffer this odd hyper sensitivity? My mom thinks it has to do with the nerves being to close to the surface but whatever causes it-it is really troublesome.
Thanks for any and all responses.

That's me, Odd-Scrooball
Old 12-14-06, 04:55 PM

~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of
I Hate English peas, pickles, cranberries and Kiwi fruit! YUCK. Peas and pickle relish look like snot from a bad sinus infection; pickles like slimy warts on the nose of an old hag. kiwi fruit tastes like the smell of un-washed smelly butt and cranberries like the a-fore mentioned unmentionables stink and taste Awful and make me Gag. Ditto for broiled lamb which smells like bad morning breath. O-o-h, I'm feeling sick, Now!

That's me, Odd-Scrooball :]
Old 12-14-06, 08:11 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
avacado... guacamoli. dried tomatoes, hummus.... all of those are just awful things.

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 12-21-06, 04:40 PM

liquid4012 is on a distinguished road
I have a strange one - wearing sunscreen or any kind of lotion. I have really fair skin and my father has skin cancer. When my wife and I go on vacation I will usually stay indoors or under an umbrella until it's safe for me to go out in the sun - that's how much that sticky/slimy feeling drives me nuts. I also can't go to the beach if there's no shower nearby. Any activity after being in the salt water and having sunscreen on is extremely uncomfortable.
Old 02-18-07, 04:56 PM

Thanked 5,999 Times in 2,485 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute
For me its
skin sensitivity.....grass, insects, wind, some kinds of fabrics and tags..but then I LOVE being caressed.
Noises.....unfortunately the noise the kids make fries my brain and after while I need peace.....extreme peace.....I have a boat so I sail somewhere remote....and then go round the boat making sure nothing can make any noise...a night of that and I'm sorted.
Old 02-18-07, 05:19 PM

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation
Hey Liguid I Hate Them As Well Anything Like That,,,

Dorm An Sounds That High Or Very Low Do My Head In

Dormy