ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choose all that apply: any of the stimuli listed below too much for you?
Sensitivity to clothing (elastic, tags, etc.) 283 57.64%
Sensitivity to food textures 193 39.31%
Sensitive skin (slimy, to describe smooth surfaces, etc.) 182 37.07%
Sensitive to heat/cold 270 54.99%
Sensitive hearing/to certain noises 396 80.65%
Sensitivity to being touched 314 63.95%
Claustrophobia 156 31.77%
Sensitive to certain smells 262 53.36%
Other (please post your Other stimulus below) 76 15.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-07, 11:07 PM
Contributor

acceptance has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuG
Andreaa000-

Your post on the cotton ball phobia KILLED me! I had never heard of such a thing until I met my husband. If he has to get an aspirin out of a container that has a piece of cotton in it, he WIGS out. He always has me remove the cotton. But if I'm mad at him and refuse, he makes this weird yell "argh!" sound as he grabs it (as though he touching a piece of poop!) and then he flings it across the room. The first time I saw him do this, I thought he was mucking around and I DIED laughing. But as time went by I learned that it really PAINS him to touch it. I still crack up when he does that (and so does he).

I showed him your post and he was so HAPPY to know that there are others that feel similarly....
and heres me thinking i was the only one lol
Old 08-07-07, 01:57 AM

Kanibe is on a distinguished road
My 12 yo just laughed his way through the list, ticking everything. He has trouble with smell, a school excursion to a water processing plant was a delight! He struggles with loud noise, can't go to concerts without earplugs, I've cut all tags out of his clothes for years and he can pick which t-shirt he wore for a haircut even after I've washed it. Can't wear jeans (hates the denim), don't even start about sock seams!

The hardest things though are his responses to emotional and pain stimuli, he has chronic nausea (possibly from anxiety) and because he's so sensitive to it, it's really hard to treat, also, the slightest raised voice from me is screaming and any vaguely unhappy look is disapproval. When you are trying to combat anxiety and stress it's hard to remember you not only have to be positive, you have to look and sound that way too, all the time. Which is so easy with an anxious ADD 12yo. Good thing I love him.
Old 08-29-07, 10:59 PM

dede4004 will become famous soon enough
Re: amazing thread

Wow, this is really amazing. I had no idea this hypersensitivity thing could be related to add/adhd. My husband has many of these and I don't think his counselor has touched on this subject yet. But, it helps me to know this.

He is hypersensitive to touch, (he won't let me ever rub him or give him a backrub), also he is terrified of heights but loves rollercoasters and crazy rides that are high. He is also hypersensitive to sound but in reverse of the previous posts. The level on the tv, computer and such is so loud it makes MY ears hurt. He has a hearing problem, but still not to where he needs the tv so terribly loud. I'm always having to turn things down. But, he can hear intricate things in music, like chords, intervals, and melody lines in an entire orchestration which he can transcribe as he hears it. (which is a real talent)

Bugs are a REAL problem, especially spiders and bees. When our girls were small, we were all riding in the car and a little spider crawled under his seat. My husband whipped the car off the highway and jumped out the door. He wouldn't get back in until we killed the spider. (lots of stories about bugs)

Food is also an issue. He only eats about 10 things. All meat has to be plain, nothing on it including hot dogs and hamburgers. NO meat type dishes like casseroles or anything. He also eats plain bread with butter, two types of cereal (again plain) and cheese pizza. (but will not eat cheese by itself)
No vegetables except corn (which is a starch) a couple fruits and that's it.
Oh, and he does eat one type of soup, which is Lipton chicken noodle.

He DOES eat a lot of candy, doughnuts, sugar stuff and soda drinks. His mother was the same way and taught all her kids to eat this way. She also taught them that they would "throw up" if they ate anything else.

We know his mother would be classified add/adhd if she was ok, but she is now in an Alzhiemer's facility. My husband's brother is bipolar (recovering drug addict) and his sister is add (not diagnosed) and a recovering alcoholic.

His father ate a normal diet, which his mother hated, because she had to actually "cook" for him, but she fed her kids all "processed" fast food and sugar foods, cereal etc.

I never knew this stuff was connected to add/adhd. Astounding!! Thanks to all of you who posted. It helps me understand this particular side of my husband that has been really difficult to deal with, because his hypersensitivity to these things (and a few more) borders on paranoia/phobic at times, and that's what I thought it was. Wow.

Thanks again,

Dede
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-07, 02:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

dixiepeep has disabled reputation
Re: The sounds of eating

I can't stand the sound of someone eating especially if they are eating potato chips from a bag. It drives me crazy. I pour my chips out of the bag because of this. It is good to know I am not the only one.
Old 10-16-07, 02:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Re: ADHD and Hypersensitivity (for the 2nd time)

I hate the cotton ball squeak too. I thought it was just me.
Old 10-16-07, 02:38 PM

Guest1 will become famous soon enough

im all above and to what people put also
Old 10-16-07, 02:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

no, you sound normal to me. I can't eat raw tomatoes due to texture. I hate the feel of my rugged office chair under me. Everything is too loud and it is really bad because my husband is hearing impaired. I tend to avoid the t.v. I would rather read a book alone with no noise. Hubby thinks I am ignoring him but I can't stand the loud noise of the t.v.
I was at a meeting last night (which was hard to sit still for anyway) and the woman kept clicking her ink pen as she spoke. I thought I would lose my mind. First thing was the woman just kept talking on and on and on plus the pen clicking. She talked about being a foster parent to five kids. I have 3. I felt like she wanted to be a martyr for her deeds. I wanted to say...you are in it for the wrong reason if you have to tell everyone that you have five and they are all races, ect. It was all I could do to sit there and listen to her.
Old 10-16-07, 03:00 PM

Guest1 will become famous soon enough

if you knew me you say diffrent
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiepeep
no, you sound normal to me. I can't eat raw tomatoes due to texture. I hate the feel of my rugged office chair under me. Everything is too loud and it is really bad because my husband is hearing impaired. I tend to avoid the t.v. I would rather read a book alone with no noise. Hubby thinks I am ignoring him but I can't stand the loud noise of the t.v.
I was at a meeting last night (which was hard to sit still for anyway) and the woman kept clicking her ink pen as she spoke. I thought I would lose my mind. First thing was the woman just kept talking on and on and on plus the pen clicking. She talked about being a foster parent to five kids. I have 3. I felt like she wanted to be a martyr for her deeds. I wanted to say...you are in it for the wrong reason if you have to tell everyone that you have five and they are all races, ect. It was all I could do to sit there and listen to her.
Old 10-17-07, 08:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about

One thing I did not see was sensitivity to light. My eyes are very sensitive to light. Bright sun really hurts my eyes, more so than most people. I usually am still wearing my sunglass while my headlights are on!

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.
Old 10-31-07, 01:40 PM
Jr Member

allome is on a distinguished road

Well my son can't stand to wear sweats because of the elastic...i can't stand touching slimy things...can't stand for things to be caked up on my hands( Playdough...cookie dough...etc) If i'm not focused on the sound...meaning if its not a song I'M listening to it annoys me for it to be loud...and if I'M not talking I can't stand when ppl talk loud...He doesn't like to get his hair combed or brushed...I absolute CANNOT do COLD weather...and being hot is almost just as annoying
Old 12-06-07, 10:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

Tiddlywinks is on a distinguished road

I am sensitive to many many things, but especially hate to touch bumpy things like baby rattles that have bumps or steering wheel covers. I shutter just to think about them. Ants crawling on my skin makes me feel like I am going to explode! Really loud music and the racket students make at pep rallies sends me over the edge. That's terrible since I am a teacher and sponsor the cheerleaders. After every football and basketball game I have to come home and wrap up in a weight blanket just to calm down.
Old 12-10-07, 03:53 PM

Melvin Schmekel is on a distinguished road

Yowza-
And all this time I thought it was just me!

I've recently been diagnosed with ADD at the age of 34, and have been carefully re-looking at myself: my behaviours, my quirks and differences, my problems, etc. through the lens of having ADD. I'm sorta taking stock of where I end, the ADD begins and how much of it overlaps. Now I find that I can add my skin problems to the list too!

Anyway, here I am cozily tucked in my carrel at my college's library. For the past 3 hours I've doing anything except study for my next final and write the final paper that is due tomorrow (silly me!). One of the things I have been doing however, is chasing a particularly nasty itch all over my back and up and down my legs, and now it seems like the little monster has invited a few friends over to the party called "me". I've always been super sensitive to so many different things. I remember my Mother taking me to the Planetarium when I was about 4 years old. I don't remember anything about the experience except the wool sweater which she forced me to wear, that, and her telling me to just sit still and to stop scratching for God's sake! Ever since then I just assumed it was an allergy to wool and have avoided the wretched stuff like the plague!
There are about a million other substances which make me break out in hives and scratching fits from Neosporin to polyester naps. In doing my current research I came apon these links: (Note, I'm not endorsing anything or anybody, this is just stuff I found on the Inter-Nerd today!)

http://web4health.info/en/answers/so...xcoriation.htm
see number 3 on her list
and
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0303204044.htm

I don't know if any of this stuff got covered anywhere on this thread, after two pages of reading, I got so excited that I had to post NOW!, I'm sure you know what I mean. I'll go back and read the rest after I post.

I've always been meaning to go to an allergist and get some testing done and see what the problem is, but I haven't quite gotten to it yet, along with 3,000,000 other things.

Other oddities: I can't get too near to perfume counters, I can't go down detergent and cleaning supply aisles in supermarkets without holding my breath, the texture of okra, I can't touch rust, and EMERY BOARDS!!! I can't even think about them without my teeth getting all itchy, my fingers involuntarily crinkling, and grimacing like someone just stuck something horrid in my nose. SHUDDER! I can't even believe I typed the word!

Just a few things to think about for me and hopefully you too.

I'm off to read the rest of this thread and hope I don't find myself repeating too much!
Old 12-20-07, 09:16 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

CHEWING! God I hate the sound of someone eating! It realy makes me want to choke people. I feel bad about it but it just irritates me to no end!

I can actually feel certain sounds. Like metal on concrete. I feel physical pain from that. And the chewing will make me shake if I try to ignore it long enough.
I startle fairly easily. I hate one friend of mine's phone because I nearly jump out of my skin every time it goes off!

I'm sensitive to clothing (tags, elastic, textures, etc).
I'm also sensitive to touch in general. It's not always bad. Makes for some great sex sometimes. Lol. But if I don't feel like being touched and someone rubs my arm or something, it hurts!

I'm really sensitive to smells. They give me headaches easily. I'm also sensitive to good smells though. They can totally make me feel better or different or give me flashbacks and some of them I can almost taste (for some reason I can taste the smell of jasmine).
I get goosebumps easily and get hot super easily. Lately I've started being more sensitive to cold as well.

I kinda like weird textured food though.

*ETA*
No fan = No sleep

And flourescent lights give me a horrible headache and make me really really cranky.
Old 12-20-07, 10:58 PM
Forum Guru

blueyeyore is a jewel in the roughblueyeyore is a jewel in the roughblueyeyore is a jewel in the rough

When I was a child I had a HUGE dislike for Jeans....I refused to wear them...I didn't wear jeans until I was about 12 years old. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember screaming and crying if mom tried to put me in them.

Lamictal
Wellbutrin
Old 12-21-07, 12:02 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyeyore
When I was a child I had a HUGE dislike for Jeans....I refused to wear them...I didn't wear jeans until I was about 12 years old. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember screaming and crying if mom tried to put me in them.
Me too! I couldn't wear them until I was 12 or 13. Even now I'm super picky about my jeans. I'm so happy the lower waist, thinner, stretchy jeans have been around for a while because that's the only kind I'm confortable in.

And I absolutely cannot stand any pants up around my natural waist. *shudder*