ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-15-05, 06:03 PM

OVhasADD is on a distinguished road
Is taking two 10mg capsules of XR the same as taking one 20mg?

Is there a diffrence between taking one 20mg capsule of Adderal XR or two 10mg capsules?
Old 12-15-05, 06:19 PM

Maxprime is on a distinguished road
I'm curious about this one too - on a chemical level they seem the same. If you swallow them both at the same time then you will get 10mg of the IR salts and 10mg of the delayed-release salts. This is not a professional opinion, just stating what I would assume to be logical.

Anyone know anything more?
Old 12-15-05, 07:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

barbyma has disabled reputation
There's no difference.

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-05, 07:09 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 9,004 Times in 3,760 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute
Theoretically, no; they both have the same amount of "active" ingredient.

When I first got my script, I was given 90 pills with the instructions to start w/ 1 pill a day and then, if that didn't work, wait a week and start taking 2 . . . then 3 if necessary.

That said (and I ended up on 20 mgs) when I switched over to the 20mg capsule, the effects seemed much stronger somehow. The only thing I can think of is that the 2 10 mg capsules release slower??? b/c you have to dissolve 2 capsules instead of 1 and they don't release at exactly the same time?
Old 12-15-05, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan
Theoretically, no; they both have the same amount of "active" ingredient.

When I first got my script, I was given 90 pills with the instructions to start w/ 1 pill a day and then, if that didn't work, wait a week and start taking 2 . . . then 3 if necessary.

That said (and I ended up on 20 mgs) when I switched over to the 20mg capsule, the effects seemed much stronger somehow. The only thing I can think of is that the 2 10 mg capsules release slower??? b/c you have to dissolve 2 capsules instead of 1 and they don't release at exactly the same time?
It is my understanding that it is 20mg over 10mg of the exact same chemical makeup and mixture. Therefore, a "double dose" of 10mg would be the same as a single dose of 20mg. Dissolving the two capsulses simultaneously should not have a marked effect - your stomach is much too large.
Old 12-15-05, 07:40 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 9,004 Times in 3,760 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
It is my understanding that it is 20mg over 10mg of the exact same chemical makeup and mixture. Therefore, a "double dose" of 10mg would be the same as a single dose of 20mg. Dissolving the two capsulses simultaneously should not have a marked effect - your stomach is much too large.
Yeah, I know it should be the same. From personal experience, it wasn't . . .

I was just thinking aloud about the dissolving as a reason for them being different I mean, the subjective effects you feel from the drug tend to be when drug plasma levels are *increasing.* so when you take XR, the feeling of something "kicking in" is much less than if you take the IR. If you have to swallow 2 pills instead of 1, isn't there a *remote* chance that the gelatin coating on 1 would release the beads slightly before the other, meaning there's a slightly longer, smoother rate of onset with the 2 vs. 1 capsule. (OK, I admit I'd probably have to be Superman in order to feel the difference, but it's the best I could come up with

Anyone else have this experience, or explanations?
Old 12-15-05, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan
Yeah, I know it should be the same. From personal experience, it wasn't . . .

Anyone else have this experience, or explanations?
I'm one of those people that is VERY sensitive to small changes in meds. Going from Prozac to a generic was a BIG mess for me.

So, if each pill has an error margin then the variance is doubled in two of them. It could be that the very slight differences might be noticable to you.

Just an idea.

Old 12-16-05, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbyma
I'm one of those people that is VERY sensitive to small changes in meds. Going from Prozac to a generic was a BIG mess for me.

So, if each pill has an error margin then the variance is doubled in two of them. It could be that the very slight differences might be noticable to you.

Just an idea.
The variance of the whole dose is actually the sum of the individual variances (sorry - math dork) hehe.

When you're dealing with such tiny amounts of such powerful medicines, I'm sure that having it in two seperate parts of your stomach or something like that could be an issue. The medicine could easily see more surface area to be absorbed when in two seperate pills - that's the key factor I think.
Old 12-16-05, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxprime
The variance of the whole dose is actually the sum of the individual variances (sorry - math dork) hehe.
Is the quality control variance based on dosage, or based on pill? If it's dosage, then yeah, the variance would be the same, but if it's based on pill, it's going to be double, right?

Of course, I'm flying blind here. I don't know what the controls are for these.