ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 12-17-05, 09:29 PM

freediver is on a distinguished road
Play Attention

Does anyone know if stuff like this helps?
http://www.playattention.com

Has anyone tried it? Did it or did it not work for you? Does it work for adults?
Old 12-17-05, 10:36 PM

Thanked 8,270 Times in 2,564 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Ty 4 the link.

I've never heard of it but I'll definately ask around to see if others have.
Old 12-17-05, 10:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

stanzen has a spectacular aura aboutstanzen has a spectacular aura about
The only thing I noticed on the site is the abscence of any listed costs. You need to provide an address or call their salespeople to obtain that information.

Dr. Pangloss: "There is a concatenation of all events in the best of possible worlds . . ."

"Excellently observed," answered Candide; "but let us cultivate our garden."

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-05, 03:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

MGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud of
It is biofeedback. Look up the patents.

6,097,981, 6,402,520, and 6,626,676
The Following User Says Thank You to MGDAD For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (10-16-08)
Old 12-20-05, 07:56 AM

MGDAD,

Thanks for the clarifcation.

To the best of my knowledge, biofeedback has not been substantiated as a clinical treatment for ADHD.

There are certainly those who believe in it, however, I've never read where longitudinal validity & reliabilty have been established;especially outside of the company in question's own auspices.

My first job out of grad school was in a pain clinic as a biofeeedback technician.

Biofeedback has come a long way since then, however, I am personally & professionally skeptical.

That doesn't mean I won't read the literature.

However, it does mean that it will take some acknowledgement of it working for ADHD by mainstream researchers and journals, before I change my mind.

thanks again
Old 12-20-05, 03:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

MGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud of
It is interesting that on the site they do not want to admit that it is biofeedback. That is probably because biofeedback is not an accepted treatment for ADHD.
Old 01-19-06, 10:07 PM

babybear is on a distinguished road
I checked into this quite a while ago. It did seem very interesting but the price was way beyond us. I really don't remember but it was around a thousand dollars???
Old 01-19-06, 10:09 PM

It's more than just the cost that matters.

Research DOES NOT support that it works.
Old 01-19-06, 10:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

Albino Fox has disabled reputation
A little Googling about reveals this pretty objective review:
Quote:
From http://www.chieftain.com/life/1136137863/3:

Biofeedback

Used for decades, biofeedback allows people to increase brain-wave activity through training. One company, Play Attention ( www.playattention.com ), uses an EEG biofeedback-based system (the patented name is ‘‘Edufeedback’’) that attempts to form new neural networks.

During each session, the user wears a helmet equipped with sensors that record theta (daydreaming) and beta (focused) brain-wave activity.

The video-game-like interface coaches ADD subjects through tasks designed to maintain concentration for a certain period. For example, the screen might show a bird flying through the sky. A loss of concentration would cause the poor bird to fall. A live ‘‘coach’’ could be present to give instruction encouragement and verbal feedback.

Pros: Biofeedback has been used for conditions including seizure disorders, mood disorders and ADD for the last 30 years. The evidence shows biofeedback is ‘‘probably efficacious,’’ according to a June study in the journal Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback.

Cons: The knock against biofeedback has always been that the benefits likely vanish once you unhook yourself from the machine. It’s also expensive and time-consuming. Hourly fees at freestanding Play Attention ‘‘learning’’ centers can range from $35 to $250, and about 40 hours of training (two hourlong sessions per week) is recommended.
Old 10-16-08, 05:20 PM

Dudeyowuzup is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Play Attention

Well, I see that the last posting was made in 06, but I'll add to this anyways. I was doing some research on AD/HD and potential treatments. I was reading peer reviewed literature from medical journals. I came across an international symposium that discussed MANY aspects of ADHD... comorbidities, genetic aspects, brain scans, treatments and side-effects... One part of it had about 5 studies on neurofeedback, including one which tested the long-term efficacy. That study concluded that the improvements made during treatment did not decrease over time. All of the studies I have read showed only positive improvements and none showed negative side-effects. This launched me into a full-on pursuit of affordable neurofeedback options. I am still researching all I can, including looking for comments from previous Play Attention users.

I just don't understand why so many reject neurofeedback as a viable treatment option. Why would other types of training be considered acceptable but not direct brain-training? I know the answer. It's all about the money. Neurofeedback is expensive. Insurance will always opt to pay for the cheaper option, even if it's not the most efficacious. There's no reason for the pharmaceutical companies to research neurofeedback, because there's no profit to be made by them. It's all about whether it's worth the gamble. The larger the dollar sign, the more cautiously people consider it. It's easier to gamble with possible side-effects because we can afford medication and we figure the benefits will out-weigh the side-effects. However, when we are spending a lot of money on something, we want to know we will get it back somehow, like in results. That's the real problem. Neurofeedback has been effective for many with ADHD, but what if you or your child is in that small percentage that doesn't respond? You don't want to take that risk when it's $1,000 or more on the line.

In my case, it's my whole life. I am sick of being ADHD 24/7. I don't like the way stimulants make me feel, but I hate the way I can't function in everyday life. My room is a constant mess. I forget EVERYTHING. It affects my work, my school, my home life, and even my mental health. I'm sick of feeling like a failure, afraid of losing my job or failing my classes because I'm always forgetting everything. I hate it when I feel like a burden on my family because of my severe ADHD. I see the strain my ADHD puts on my family members, and I see how the ADHD in my other family members puts a strain on the ones they rely on. I am at my wits end with myself. I need to fix myself.

Unless anyone can tell me that Play Attention doesn't actually work, I'm considering buying it for me and my other family members with ADHD. I know it's not a cure-all, but it shows you how to retrain your brain; change your habits. It sounds like exactly the tool I need to do what my mom's been telling me to do all this time but I could never figure out how.
BTW, the home-version of Play-Attention with 2 user-licenses costs about $1,800. I already spoke with someone at the company, and they said I would probably be able to work out a deal for extra users. (There's a number of people with ADD/ADHD in my family)

Another thing, I found a company that will soon be releasing affordable headsets that reads a variety of brainwaves and interprets them into actions you can use on your computer. If you know anyone that knows software develpment, I'd like to develop a program to use this headset for a more affordable neurofeedback program (maybe even for epilepsy, too!).
please contact me if you know anything about writing programs. They provide you with the software to make the program compatible with the headset!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dudeyowuzup For This Useful Post:
MGDAD (10-16-08)
Old 10-17-08, 05:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 9,954 Times in 3,118 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Play Attention

As I understand the research, biofeedback has not been established as a validated treatment for ADHD nor has it been established that it is not effective. In other words, the jury is still out. Here is a summary from the help4adhd site:

"Further Research Needed
Neurofeedback continues to be an intervention that generates much interest and attention from both researchers and consumers alike. While there is enough evidence to warrant its continued study as a possible intervention to reduce AD/HD symptoms, current research does not support conclusive claims about its efficacy. Based on the available evidence and the cost involved, parents and others should continue to exercise caution if considering neurofeedback as an intervention for themselves or their child"

http://www.help4adhd.org/en/treatmen...ementary/WWK6A

If you have the money to spend, I have seen no reports of it doing harm. Currently it is unknown if it helps or not. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Dizfriz