ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 02-26-04, 02:33 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
Every tme I see this topic, I go down it going, "check, check, check..." I have done all ten.
Old 02-29-04, 02:41 AM
Jr Member

jinglebts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by joanrdtobe
Paul: Have I Got a Career For You......

Jerry Seinfeld is touring right now....the reason I know that is because he's coming to my area of Florida on November 15.....

GO SEE HIM!! Go see his comedy act....Go find out where and when he's coming to your area.....

And then sneak behind stage afterwards and see if you can get an interview with him....Ask him how he did what he did and got where he got......

OR join his fan club......and send him a letter, telling him about yourself....maybe he will write back and share how you TOO can become a famous comedian.....

I hope I haven't gone off topic here.....
uhhh ... yes you have -- this is not an ad for a jerry seinfeld show ...

jb
Old 11-19-04, 02:36 AM

Chaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentat50
Hey atomx,
I do not know how long you were into programming, but I guess not as long as I was - 32 years. Only my very first programming job lasted more than 3 years. All others lasted less than 2. I found out close to 10 years ago that I am ADD and Bipolar 2, but it did not keep me from trying again and again. That is, until I worked for my last employer that is a subsidiary of a Japanese company. Apparently Japanese companies set up their offices in very large rooms without any dividers like cubicles, just desk after desk after desk. That is about the worst you can do to an ADDer - nothing BUT distractions!! Anyway, I lasted a year and a week.
After filing for unemployment benefits I started taking aptitude/interest tests. One through Employment Security, one through Vocational Rehabilitation, one on the internet that I paid for, and one as part of a training program through the Software Association of New Hampshire. Guess what - all of them came up with the same result: I am in the wrong profession. They all recommended to go into an arts field like painting or music or writing. I scored the highest in music where my score compared favorably with professional musicians. I suggest you do the same. Get tested. It may change your life. If you score high for the arts I have some additional suggestions.
if you have some suggestions on jobs in the arts and how to start .....please help me out I have always been interested in art but never had anyone give me any input on the subject...please help me out..I think I have had over 100 jobs in my 27 years of life and never been fired..
thanx ,
Charley
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-06, 03:50 AM
Jr Member

darrensnospam is on a distinguished road
atomx,

Perhaps you could freelance. Network with local resellers/VARs in your area and let them know you're available. They often have small projects that need completing. Many of these small resellers don't have a developer on staff but need custom coding from time to time.

.NET seems to be a very popular platform, lately.

You may not want to dump the computer programing industry, just see if you can make it fit your style.

Small projects that take several weeks to complete could be just the ticket.
Old 05-05-06, 10:29 PM

turbofish has disabled reputation
I'm thinking about that too. By going back to consulting, I could work the hours that I need. Work a few hours, go for a bike ride, work a few more hours, mow the year,... until 20 hours of the day is spent being REALLY productive and even fun.
I did this for a while and loved it. I would go see a client, see how bad they messed things up again, go for a bike ride, come back and do some coding for another client until I need to get some exercise again to clear my head,... I made more money, got the time off that I needed and was allowed to work the crazy nights that I would work with. I found that I can always get more done at 4 am. No phone calls, no interuptions, just pure hyperfocus.
Old 05-08-06, 01:53 PM

vir novum is on a distinguished road
I'd add another one, namely that you shouldn't go into a field that there's no demand for, unless you enjoy being unemployed. But for the most part, a good list of valid points.
Old 01-05-07, 09:06 AM
Contributor

oddjobace has a spectacular aura aboutoddjobace has a spectacular aura about
I've never trusted aptitude tests, every day I feel differant. I can do so many things well but just because you can do something doesn't mean it is your true passion.

Find true passion and you'll find where you truely live. How many of us can ride a bike really well. It doesn't mean we should join the marathon or a circus.

Perception is 9/10ths reality

Those who define others define themselves.
Old 02-23-07, 07:54 AM

tomboygirl is on a distinguished road
What about a career as a teacher of children? is it a good job for a person with add? Tell me please.
Old 02-23-07, 12:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

jeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboygirl
What about a career as a teacher of children? is it a good job for a person with add? Tell me please.
Yes, it can be. You will have more empathy for the ADHD kids for sure. I work in the residential part of a school for hearing/visually impaired kids. I got this job because my own daughter went to school there (she's hearing impaired). And I know a lot about hearing impaired children and sign language.

I run into stress when I have to keep switching gears. Or when my co-workers lose it, or when I feel I am "red alert" because we have extra kids who have problems with stealing things from other kids or trying to blame other kids for things they did. And teaching the little boys the "dirty" signs for example, F**K Off!" etc."

I did teach at the college level for 4 years, and I loved that! "Foundations of Earth Science" which included geology, meteorology, and astronomy. My degrees and most of my career are in Earth Science/Geology. Originally, I worked in the oil industry for 12 years right out of grad school. Now if you want to work on drilling oil rigs, you can make mucho dinero. I did some mudlogging in the Williston basin last summer and made $3500 in 10 days.

I am currently studying to take the state exam to become a Registered Sanitarian. I did that (as a trainee) for a year and a half, two years ago. Good career for ADHD, you get to meet lots of people, run all over the county, and there are many deadlines (which forces me into hyperfocus, and making lists). It pays pretty well (relatively speaking) and it is a good fit with my background in soils, teaching, groundwater and public water supplies, general science and microbiology. And I am a people person. Plus you feel like you accomplish something every day, and can check things off a list. It was good for my self esteem. (Until my only co-worker, who was also my boss, revealed how psychotic he was, started stalking me and failed to turn in inspections to the state and I found out about it.) There is a shortage of sanitarians in my state, don't know about nation-wide.

But now that I've moved anyway, I'm going to go back to being a health inspector (not to be confused with Larry what's his name) "Git-er-Done!" (But you do seem some really gross things. My advice, do not dine in bars in small towns. EVER!) :foot:

Old 09-01-07, 03:59 PM

jc10101 will become famous soon enough
new job careers

great tips I also suggest that you watch this video as just cause you may not be able to focus at a regular job, there is still many jobs you can do ;0).

his is but a very small sample of autistic owned businesses. Like neurotypical people, some autistic people have been successful operating their own businesses rather than working for someone else. Being self employed allows these autistic people the freedome to work and earn a living without having to act "neurotypical" or fear for their jobs because of their autism and how others in the office may react to them. Of course, not all autistic people are able or capable of what these people have accomplished. But, whenever you hear of a study that says that autistic people are a "financial" drain on society or the "costs of autism over a lifetime" nonsense, then keep this video in mind and realize that there are a number of autistic people both self employed and employed that work, pay taxes AND raise children.

dx considerations:aspergers,somatization disorder,anxiety disorder,PTSD,artheritis,lumbar lordosis.

The Following User Says Thank You to jc10101 For This Useful Post:
BartStorm (02-25-08)
Old 01-22-08, 08:29 PM

gwit is on a distinguished road
Re: The 10 Worst Mistakes Career Changers Make - ADHD

Yea you are definatly right about not switching too soon. I made this mistake a couple of years ago and even though I went back to my old career, I'm still paying for my mistake financially. If I could have a do over I would have gotten my feet a little wet at first instead of diving in head first. What looks glammerous on the outside far too many times isn't so on the inside, or to quote....... "the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence."
Old 02-25-08, 10:18 AM

Saint is on a distinguished road

Good post, I made a switch from accounting to computer programming. ADHD gives me grief so right now I am lost. I just have a difficult time studying and practising a new programming language, its has been killing me for months now. I have no focus, drive, memory nor the ability to stick to my studies. God help me!!! Sorry for the pity party but... ahh well, just sorry.
Old 06-03-08, 12:04 AM
Forum ADDvocate

DotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really nice
Smile Re: The 10 Worst Mistakes Career Changers Make - ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanrdtobe View Post
Hmmm.....you don't sound very excited about having seen Jerry Seinfeld...or even the thought of it.....

P.S. Comment about Number 8 above: Placement agencies and search firms are out to make money.....They may not have your best interests at heart.....I would get referrals to these places from friends, people one knows, etc.
I wonder about a new Medical Staffing agency that I contacted, hoping that they will get me a specific temp job relating to my chosen major Medical Office assistant)? Well, they called me last Friday. By the time I got the message, though (on my home phone ans. mach.), I had to wait until today to call them. They want me to come in for an interview. So, I'll be spending this week gathering up all related info, my resume, and other detailed education/work experience to have on hand to be ready to fill out forms, applications, etc. But, not until next Tuesday. Why? because I have a dr's appt on wednesday (going to have a growth on my tongue, removed) and an appt with our state vocational rehab commission (for people with ADD/ADHD, hearing and other impairments, etc. that have had a hard time getting and/or keeping a job), on Thursday. Anyway... I assume that if they are specializing in specific types of jobs, then I might be able to get a suitable job relating specifically to my major.

It's been my past experience... that there are good staffing agencies and there are NOT so good ones... depending on who's in charge. And believe me, the supervisors and workers of most of those "NOT so good" temp/staffing agencies have a large turnover rate. Hopefully, not this one... if I don't get a temp job (until classes start), then I cross that one off my list, too. I'll just take it as an experimental job search... and see what happens.

SUCCESS COMES IN CANS NOT "CAN'TS"

Dx's: ADD, OCD,and MILD DEPRESSION, and occasional generalized anxiety (minor)

Breast Cancer Survivor since 2005
Old 04-01-09, 11:20 AM

klaatu62 is on a distinguished road

Before you make any decisions, READ "The Peter Principal" and consider what it says introspectively. Some times you need to move down a notch in order to be happy. A good teacher does not make a good principal by default. A good programmer does not make a good IT manager by default. Inventory your skills and your likes and dislikes, and ask yourself not only "Can I do ?this" but also "Will I like doing this?"
Old 04-01-09, 12:20 PM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about

One problem with changing jobs often, is that you gotta remember a bunch more stuff for your job history (keep it written down, this has gotten me before)

I myself have gone back to cab driving. I was a cab driver for 13 years, the longest of anything.

The cool thing about cab driving is that it's a job that is ALWAYS different, every minute. So It's like I am always changing jobs.

Last edited by Old School MBD; 04-01-09 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: HD-ADD