ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-25-05, 11:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Sun2707 is on a distinguished road
Side Effects!

When I start to take 3 pills of Adderall XR 5mg I had side effects, well at first it's normal, I saw that eating while I am taking Adderall help, I had not much side effects but when at the end of the days the Adderall wear off it's bad, I got big side effects, it's very hard to deal with. It's seem like I got demons in me, I feel angry and edgy, I feel like screaming. Will thoses side effects go with time? Do any of you have to deal with the same side effects has me and if so what you do to deal with them? Also when I woke up I feel really bad and tired but once I take the Adderall it get better, I feel like doing more things, I am less sleepy, I am able to focus and be interest in thing, when I don't take the Adderall I feel like doing nothing and I feel tired. For me the Adderall XR 5mg 3 times doesn't work for long and I only see a little difference in me but still it better then nothing and if the side effects are the price to pay for just having a few hours of feeling better well I am ready to pay that price. I guess my doctor need to higher the dose, the one I take doesn't work that much and that long and I think I gonna ask him to put me on Adderall IR, I red it work faster and longer, also it's cheaper, why my doctor would not want to change it to IR that will be stupid not to if it's cheaper?
Old 12-26-05, 12:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

barbyma has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun2707
I think I gonna ask him to put me on Adderall IR, I red it work faster and longer, also it's cheaper, why my doctor would not want to change it to IR that will be stupid not to if it's cheaper?
First, many here have discussed similar side effects. Your doctor will be able to tell you if raising the dosage is appropriate.

Second, Adderall IR does not work faster and lasts only 4-6 hours. So, you'd need to take it at least 2 times a day. Adderall IR is priced at about $120 for a 30-day supply (60 pills) and Adderall XR is priced at approximately $110 for a 30-day supply (30 pills). So, it's actually more expensive. If you choose to switch to the generic brand, which is cheaper, you would have to go with IR. XR is not available in generic.

There are many reasons to prescribe XR instead of IR. It's easier for the patient and insurance companies often require generic when it's available, so prescribing XR allows the patient to stay with the brand.

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 12-27-05, 12:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

Braack is on a distinguished road
Adderall IR is only cheaper in the sense that insurance companies will cover generics. I take Adderall IR and would chose to take XR if it was covered the same.

Adderall XR is basically (two) Adderall IR doses in a capsule, one relased immediately and the other released about 4 hours later. The reason they came up with this is (1) the needed a new product to patent since Adderall ran out =) (2) It is helpful for school children so that they don't have to take time out of class to go to the nurse and blah blah... (3) It is suppose to provide for a smoother effect and not as drastic of a comedown.

If you are experiencing problems with Adderall XR or Adderall IR, I would assume that you would receive the same side effects vice versa. The great thing about Adderall IR is that you can manage your own dosing.

About your questions with irritability I do not know. If it has been more than a month or two since you started the prescription and it hasn't gotten any better, I don't think it will. Also, I'm not sure if increasing your dose will help those distinct kinds of side effects. There are other meds out there that benefit people. Can give them a shot if you need to. Good luck.
People just taking the chemicals and diving in without having any kind of preparation about what they're about to experience tend to have no frame of reference...It's just a waste...they end up going, 'Well, now I need that drug to get back there again.' The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug.
~Maynard James Keenan
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-05, 02:11 PM
Contributor

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road
Have you ever had days where you weren't irritated? I know I've had those days where towards the end of the day I become very irritated and don't want to be bothered but the next day and most days I don't experience that. I have though and I know it's a pain, especially if you're invovled in a relationship and have a child.
Old 12-27-05, 03:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

Sun2707 is on a distinguished road
I start Adderall XR not long ago, and I do had day were the side effect is less strong then other day. I did saw some good change in me with Adderall, I am much more interest in things, got a bit more energy, not so sleepy like I usully am, if only it will work longer, it only work for a few hours, that why I am wondering if my doctor could increase the dose. Also I red that skipping a day will make the Adderall work stronger the next day and also the side effect will be less strong, is it true? Thanks for your reply I appreciate it.
Old 12-27-05, 04:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

barbyma has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun2707
Also I red that skipping a day will make the Adderall work stronger the next day and also the side effect will be less strong, is it true? Thanks for your reply I appreciate it.
Depends. My doctor suggested skipping weekends to "jump start" it, but my results were not good. It took 3 days to get back to where I was before.

So, I believe it's an individual thing.

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.