ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 01-16-06, 03:16 PM
Jr Member

winter78200 is on a distinguished road
How long does Wellbutrin take to kick in?

I've been on 150mg of WellbutrinXL once and day... this is my fourth day. The thing is, I havent had any real side effects.. in fact I havent really had any effects at all. Except, I dont feel like smoking anymore (a plus) and I noticed I cry a lot easier over things the last few days... but emotionally I feel pretty much the way I always have.. how long does this pill take to kick in?
Old 01-16-06, 03:36 PM
Jr Member

rcm1973 is on a distinguished road
Wellbutrin can take 4-6 weeks to take full effect. I think I started noticing positive changes after a couple weeks. I just moved up to 300mg.
Old 01-16-06, 05:09 PM
Jr Member

winter78200 is on a distinguished road
hey rcm... when u first started, did you feel anything at all? Any side effects or mood changes? Or did i just happen?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-06, 06:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Welbutrin takes effect in about an hour, with the first dose. It is not like SSRI's that take several weeks to begin working. I've been on it for a year and so far, so good. I suspect that I will be going off of it in the next few months.

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 01-16-06, 07:04 PM

Location: In a cynical state of mind where mankind fails to impress
FightingBoredom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo
Welbutrin takes effect in about an hour, with the first dose. It is not like SSRI's that take several weeks to begin working. I've been on it for a year and so far, so good. I suspect that I will be going off of it in the next few months.

Me
In answer to the original post: I noticed some effect from WB the first week I started it but it took a full 30 days before it really helped and I could consistently notice a difference.

Speedo, What's next on the shopping list from the pharmacy? I've been on WB for about a year now at 300mg and I have begun seeing diminished effects.
our "higher" selves.
I just hope I can remember that I came to this realization!

And I'm sick of giving people advice. They don't listen. They don't really want to deal with their issues. They just want to whine and complain and have someone else listen and tell them everything is going to be OK!

Well, everything is NOT going to be OK unless you learn to handle whatever comes your way.
Old 01-16-06, 07:35 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
I don't know why you are having a diminished effect... welbutrin does not develop a tolerance...

I am thinking that I may need to move to something more appropriate for my diagnosis. Possibly a combination of an SSRI and a stimulant.

I have two problems with welbutrin. I have a history of absence seizure disorder, and I cant seem to take more than 150 mg of welbutrin without developing anger. This means I have difficulty getting the full benefit of welbutrin. I have compensated for that by moving to a combo of welbutrin, neurontin, and risperdal.

I think a combination of a stimulant , and ssri and mybe risperdal might be effective in working the same neurotransmitters, and I think I'd be better focused than I am at present.

I have finally got a diagnosis of ADHD combined type from the psychologist and am waiting to see what my neurologist says this week... and I still have to find a psychiatrist who knows how treat adult ADHD, etc.

My case is further complicated by an anxiety disorder, hyperacusus and hypersensitivity, so I have a way to go before any changes in my meds are made.
At present, the combo I have seems to be working nicely, but I think I would be a lot safer and less scattered on a different suite of meds... provided they will work for me.

ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingBoredom
In answer to the original post: I noticed some effect from WB the first week I started it but it took a full 30 days before it really helped and I could consistently notice a difference.

Speedo, What's next on the shopping list from the pharmacy? I've been on WB for about a year now at 300mg and I have begun seeing diminished effects.
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 05-16-06, 12:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

Simfish is a jewel in the roughSimfish is a jewel in the roughSimfish is a jewel in the rough
Also, don't the ADD effects come almost immediately while the anti-depressant effect take several weeks?

Umm, I think it's possible for people to get tolerant to pretty much any drug - but it depends on the person. And if you get tolerant to bupropion, will that make you tolerant to other dopamine reuptake inhibitors like Adderall?
Old 05-04-12, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

FocusPocus10 is on a distinguished road
Re: How long does Wellbutrin take to kick in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simfish View Post
Also, don't the ADD effects come almost immediately while the anti-depressant effect take several weeks?

Umm, I think it's possible for people to get tolerant to pretty much any drug - but it depends on the person. And if you get tolerant to bupropion, will that make you tolerant to other dopamine reuptake inhibitors like Adderall?
Adderall is an amphetamine (not a DRI). Ritalin/Focalin are DRI's. Some people find wellbutrin enhances adderall, others find that it inhibits adderall. If it enhances the adderall, it could feel less effective when you stop (but why would you). If it in hinders it, which it did to me a few years ago, you may find that adderall feels stronger when you stop.
Old 05-05-12, 05:45 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

I started on Wellbutrin XL 150 today, so far just feeling more calm. I also take 70 mg Vyvanse in the morning and the Wellbutrin at noon. My main problem is motivation and getting things done plus ruminating thoughts about the past, feeling guilty etc. etc. so I hope it kicks in soon!!
Old 05-06-12, 11:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

FocusPocus10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425runner View Post
I started on Wellbutrin XL 150 today, so far just feeling more calm. I also take 70 mg Vyvanse in the morning and the Wellbutrin at noon. My main problem is motivation and getting things done plus ruminating thoughts about the past, feeling guilty etc. etc. so I hope it kicks in soon!!
day 4 of wellbutrin xl 300mg, and I noticed a boost in motivation and energy from day 1, hope you do too. still inattentive once on task, but at least I'm getting on task in the first place! pretty huge for me.
Old 05-08-12, 04:38 PM
Contributor

PickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusPocus10 View Post
Adderall is an amphetamine (not a DRI). Ritalin/Focalin are DRI's. Some people find wellbutrin enhances adderall, others find that it inhibits adderall. If it enhances the adderall, it could feel less effective when you stop (but why would you). If it in hinders it, which it did to me a few years ago, you may find that adderall feels stronger when you stop.
Methylphenidate is an NDRI, as is bupropion (albeit, less strong of one). Amphetamine (not substituted amphetamines in general, but amphetamine as in dextrorotary and levorotary forms of amphetamine) is a Norepinephrine and dopamine releasing agent. Technically, bupropion is a substituted amphetamine with the only differences lying in an extra Chlorine on the benzene group, a double-bonded oxygen in the beta position and a tertiary butyl group in the N position
bupropion and amphetamine molecules.jpg

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.”

“I never remember feeling tired by work, though idleness exhausts me completely”

"If we are going to be damned, let us be damned for what we really are." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

"The saxophones...are not expected...to behave like demented cats... "
Ralph Vaughan Williams, notes to his Symphony No.9 in E minor

The Following User Says Thank You to PickMeUpRoadie For This Useful Post:
Karamo (04-17-14)
Old 05-08-12, 05:26 PM
Social Committee Executive

Thanked 13,825 Times in 6,942 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

2-6 weeks, sometimes a little less or a llittle more

i felt a positive response in 8 days.

When talking with [NTers] it's like exchanging floppy discs but with fellow neurodiverse its like using high speed wifi - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 05-08-12, 07:17 PM

aeon has much to be proud ofaeon has much to be proud ofaeon has much to be proud ofaeon has much to be proud ofaeon has much to be proud ofaeon has much to be proud ofaeon has much to be proud ofaeon has much to be proud ofaeon has much to be proud ofaeon has much to be proud of

2 weeks for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Abi (05-08-12)
Old 05-09-12, 04:04 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I don't know what exacty it is but the build up is no good. After some time I could focus in the morning but all my afternoon and evening doses became useless. Seems consistent speaking of the whole time I took or have ever taken wellbutrin . It just seems like it works against the stimulants in the long run. After a winter on wellbutrin both 300xl and 150xl and I had some good even focus with it for awhile . I finally am off . Thank god. Yuck.

"The Focalin King"
Old 05-09-12, 07:13 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

Today is my 4th day on Wellbutrin. Took the 150 XL in the morning and felt totally out of it, then the fog lifted but I felt very depressed all day. Also, having upset stomach like gurgling noises, bloat and gas. I don't know what else to take as SSRI's virtually rendered my ADHD meds ineffective and I need to be focused & sharp.
The Following User Says Thank You to 425runner For This Useful Post:
reflection08 (06-04-12)