ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 01-31-06, 06:59 PM

zz123zz has disabled reputation
Drugs are not the only solution to treat ADD/ADHD ... there are other options

Summit Daily News - January 29, 2006
By Dr. Tamara Boyd

Are you concerned with how much doctors are prescribing Ritalin and other drugs to treat ADD/ADHD disorder? We should be, since the long-term side effects are unknown. It's important to know that there are other options.

The Interactive Metronome is one such option. Using movement and a computer, you try to match a beat generated by the computer to different exercises, over and over again. By doing this thousands of times, you develop strong connections in the brain that people with ADD/ADHD struggle with, such as focusing. It is like learning to ski. The more times the basic sequences are performed, you really don't have to think about it anymore. Focusing is the same way - if you train yourself to focus, then obviously you will be more trained in focusing.

The Interactive Metronome is based on the same principal musicians use to keep a beat. It was originally developed to improve the poor physical condition which accompanies ADHD and ADD; however it is now found that it helps not only with coordination, but also with concentration, organization and focus. It is easy to learn and it works! The exercises are engaging and the participant is physically interactive, so they stay engaged. Participants hear a beat every second; when they hear it, there are 13 different exercises including hand clapping and foot tapping to match to the sound.

The repetition also teaches something else - timing and rhythm. We all have internal clocks and rhythms; the Interactive Metronome helps to regulate and adjust this internal clock for timing. People with ADD/ADHD have trouble with this. Something in the brain circuit is not giving them opportunity to hold the rhythm. This program helps to rebuild and refine the timing circuits in the brain (the basal ganglia) so coordination improves. Coordination requires that you time a series of particular movements at the right time. Rather than jumping frantically from one activity to the next, kids learn to pace themselves, and better organize their words, thoughts and actions.

This program has been heavily researched. The March/April 2001 issue of the American Journal of Occupational Therapy identified five key areas of significant improvement gained through the Metronome training. They are: attention/focus, motor control/coordination, language processing, reading/math fluency and control of aggression and impulsivity. To find out more research visit their website: Interactivemetronome.com

The Interactive Metronome isn't just for kids, though. After doing these exercises, some people feel calmer and more efficient. It can help with music as well as improve sports performance. Check out the Interactive Metronome/golf research study on their website ... the golf swing is all about timing, isn't it?

In a day and age where it seems the answer to every problem is just another pill, thanks to the Interactive Metronome, someone with ADD/ADHD doesn't have to spend the rest of their life and every waking minute on medication.

Dr. Tamara Boyd is trained in the Interactive Metronome and has openings for new patients now, however space is limited. She will be presenting the Interactive Metronome on Thursday, Feb. 16th at 5:30 p.m. in the Buffalo Room of the County Commons. *phone # removed by moderator, please see guidelines*

Last edited by EYEFORGOT; 01-31-06 at 07:38 PM..
Old 01-31-06, 07:29 PM

Thanked 8,855 Times in 2,742 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
That particular technique has absolutely NOT been proven to work.

There's currently No independent research (from outside that company), that has been successfully replicated as both valid & reliable.

On the other hand, meds have a long and successful track record for treating ADHD.

The first medication study was done in 1937.

The US Surgeon General's Report on Mental Health (Chapter 3) : Disorders of Infancy, Childhood and Adolescence, has excellent information to support that.

In addition, The ADHD Handbook : Third Edition ( 2005), has more information.
Old 02-01-06, 08:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
Interesting. I would also urge caution when approaching these kinds of methods. However, I know that some of the perceptual differences can be improved with occupational and physical therapy. My suggestion to anyone interested would be to do a lot of research! Also, most of what can be done doesn't cost a lot, if anything. Simple exercises that improve right brain, left brain coordination don't necessarily need ANY special equipment.
Old 02-01-06, 11:51 AM

zz123zz has disabled reputation
I thought it was interesting too - not necessarily a technique that is guaranteed to work. In fact, I would be surprised if it did work. While medications are not guaranteed to work either, overall they have a more than satisfactory success rate.
Old 02-01-06, 09:42 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
I have seen these people exhibit as national AD/HD conferences was a bit confused bt the program. It also seemed like something I would need to take my medication for before trying...lol
Old 02-02-06, 12:24 AM

Thanked 8,855 Times in 2,742 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
The key is that Meds Do work.

This (and other alternative treatments) have NEVER been shown to work via independent/outside replication(s).
Old 02-02-06, 12:44 AM

scuro has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz123zz
Summit Daily News - January 29, 2006
By Dr. Tamara Boyd

Are you concerned with how much doctors are prescribing Ritalin and other drugs to treat ADD/ADHD disorder? We should be, since the long-term side effects are unknown. It's important to know that there are other options.

The Interactive Metronome is one such option. Using movement and a computer, you try to match a beat generated by the computer to different exercises, over and over again. By doing this thousands of times, you develop strong connections in the brain that people with ADD/ADHD struggle with, such as focusing. It is like learning to ski. The more times the basic sequences are performed, you really don't have to think about it anymore. Focusing is the same way - if you train yourself to focus, then obviously you will be more trained in focusing.

The Interactive Metronome is based on the same principal musicians use to keep a beat. It was originally developed to improve the poor physical condition which accompanies ADHD and ADD; however it is now found that it helps not only with coordination, but also with concentration, organization and focus. It is easy to learn and it works! The exercises are engaging and the participant is physically interactive, so they stay engaged. Participants hear a beat every second; when they hear it, there are 13 different exercises including hand clapping and foot tapping to match to the sound.

The repetition also teaches something else - timing and rhythm. We all have internal clocks and rhythms; the Interactive Metronome helps to regulate and adjust this internal clock for timing. People with ADD/ADHD have trouble with this. Something in the brain circuit is not giving them opportunity to hold the rhythm. This program helps to rebuild and refine the timing circuits in the brain (the basal ganglia) so coordination improves. Coordination requires that you time a series of particular movements at the right time. Rather than jumping frantically from one activity to the next, kids learn to pace themselves, and better organize their words, thoughts and actions.

This program has been heavily researched. The March/April 2001 issue of the American Journal of Occupational Therapy identified five key areas of significant improvement gained through the Metronome training. They are: attention/focus, motor control/coordination, language processing, reading/math fluency and control of aggression and impulsivity. To find out more research visit their website: Interactivemetronome.com

The Interactive Metronome isn't just for kids, though. After doing these exercises, some people feel calmer and more efficient. It can help with music as well as improve sports performance. Check out the Interactive Metronome/golf research study on their website ... the golf swing is all about timing, isn't it?

In a day and age where it seems the answer to every problem is just another pill, thanks to the Interactive Metronome, someone with ADD/ADHD doesn't have to spend the rest of their life and every waking minute on medication.

Dr. Tamara Boyd is trained in the Interactive Metronome and has openings for new patients now, however space is limited. She will be presenting the Interactive Metronome on Thursday, Feb. 16th at 5:30 p.m. in the Buffalo Room of the County Commons. *phone # removed by moderator, please see guidelines*
Sorry to jump all over this one...but this one really ticks me off. This looks to be nothing but a hustling ad which has a phone number even. Give me a break. I did request that this post be deleted for the reason mentioned above. How do they sell? They are working on your fears. Don't parents of ADHD children have enough to worry about?

This first paragraph is a bunch of malarky, "Are you concerned with how much doctors are prescribing Ritalin and other drugs to treat ADD/ADHD disorder? We should be, since the long-term side effects are unknown. It's important to know that there are other options".

"unknown" ...fer CS.

Other options?...Yeah because if option A doesn't work then use the Interactive Metronome. I'd rather use the magnets my 80 year old aunt bought for me.
Old 02-02-06, 05:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

USMC has disabled reputation
I have noticed that usually people who are bashing ADHD medications have something else that they would like to sell you. They say that the drug companies are trying to make a fast buck, but they're usually doing the same. I know, common sense, but I decided to comment anyways.
Old 02-08-06, 03:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

katatak has disabled reputation
My standard generic metronome works very well. I can vouch for the advantages of time and rhythimn since I have been a musican all my life. There is something quite comforting sometimes about repititive things. and believe me, practicing an instrument can be repetitive.

Learning music taxes your brain in every way possible. It, from what I understand, is one of the best mental exercises you can do for your ADHD dis-ordered brain. It forces your whole upper cortex to become involved in the learning process.

Find a good music teacher, or learn yourslef.

Beware the man that hath no music in hiim, his sould is dark as Erubus -- let no such man be trusted! (Shakespeare, as used in RV Williams Serenade to Music)
Old 03-31-06, 05:34 AM

CherylR is on a distinguished road
Hi
I am new to the forum. I purchase something called shaprer brain for my son. It sounds similar to the above. It records your score on graph for different exercises. I thought it sounded great, but his scores never improved he just got so bored with the whole thing it was a struggle to do it.

I am now looking into a programme called LEAP - search google LEAP+Dr Charles Krebs. He is the author of a book called "A revolutionary Way of Thinking" written after he had a car accident. It is based on Kinesiology and accupressure points which act as a switch turned on where previously let say the brain took the long route around.
Please read this i think it sounds very promising.

They have had marvellous results. He now works all over the world, and has LEAP practitioners in many countries.
Old 03-31-06, 08:37 AM

scuro has disabled reputation
Where you can make money, there will be practitioners. There is no antiadhd switch to turn on. Accupressure, most likely has no science behind it. Do post if it does.
Old 04-02-06, 09:29 PM
can't remember diddly Moderator

Thanked 6,035 Times in 3,084 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the forums Cheryl.

Have you checked out our parenting section?

Moderators and administrators are happy to help in any way. Hope you can stop by the new members introductions and say hello to us all.

Please read our forum guidelines.
FAQ "How Do I...start here"
Old 12-20-07, 10:18 PM
Contributor

dyingInside is just really nicedyingInside is just really nicedyingInside is just really nicedyingInside is just really nice
Re: Drugs are not the only solution to treat ADD/ADHD ... there are other options

I have been a musician for years, and while my musical skills have improved, it certainly hasn't fixed my ADHD issues. Maybe the drums and pipes will work better than guitar...