ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-03, 11:22 AM
Forum Guru

smooch has disabled reputation
Post General Characteristics of the Adult With ADD/ADHD

This information is pasted from an article on the About.com ADHD pages. It was under "Men with ADHD," but I think the information presented could apply to both genders:

General Characteristics of the Adult With ADD/ADHD

Please keep in mind that this is a generalized overview of how characteristics and symptoms of ADD/ADHD may present themselves in Adults. In addition, if there is no “impairment” in your life, you do not have a disorder. How these characteristics affect each individual will be different and unique.

Inattention and Memory Characteristics

**May lose things such as keys, important papers, phone numbers etc on a regular basis.

**May be forgetful in daily activities. “I know there was something I was supposed to do!” or consistently forget to take out the trash, instructions from your partner, or picking the kids up from an activity.

**May consistently begin a task and not complete it. Maybe you start to cut the grass, go inside to get a drink, answer the phone, see there is a sporting event on TV, sit down and watch it and leave the lawn mower in the middle of the yard. Maybe you have a “workshop” with projects began with good intentions, all half finished.

**May have a problem following conversations. Maybe your wife/girlfriend/partner talks to you and always complains that you never listen. Maybe you are always wondering when someone told you something when they say “Don’t you remember I told you about this last week.” Maybe you miss deadlines at work or hand in something irrelevant because you only heard half the conversation.

**May be difficult to motivate yourself to begin a project. “Oh sure, that sounds great, I’ll get started on it, well, maybe tomorrow!” A project that doesn’t instantly sound great and exciting may continually be placed on hold, making you look lazy.

**May have difficulty following a timed schedule. Misjudging time can create havoc in any schedule. Either you begin with an unrealistic schedule, allowing too much or too little time for each activity, or you can’t follow the schedule because you forgot about the time and just spend 3 hours on an activity that should have taken 20 minutes.

Hyperactivity

Okay, so you don’t bounce off the furniture any more, (or maybe you do) but the hyperactivity is still present, it just shows up in different ways as you grow into adulthood.

**You may be in constant movement. You play with your pencil all during a meeting, or tap your foot on the floor. You doodle on any piece of paper that is around, including those important statements you just received in the mail.

**You may get bored easily. Boredom begins to set in about 15 minutes after you begin a project, or a few months after you begin a new job. You find TV boring, the computer is better, a little more interactive, but still becomes boring. You have an intense need to make everything in life a little more interesting. Your food contains more spices, your desk contains toys, your life is filled with gadgets that looked great at the store but you lost interest when you got home.

**You may become restless after a few minutes of inactivity. Time to sit down to a relaxing evening with your partner and 15 minutes later you are ready to go and do something, or you begin to fade in and out of the conversation, planning what else you can do. You spend your day at work walking around and talking, getting coffee, making phone calls or anything else you can do to relieve the restlessness from sitting at a desk.

**You may have a great desire for active, risky and fast paced activities. Basketball is great, baseball much to slow, you start counting grass blades while standing in the outfield. Driving 20 miles over the speed limit makes that boring road so much more exciting and gets you off it quicker. Hang gliding; jumping from airplanes, racecar driving, and other such sports exhilarate you. Riding a bike is great; riding down a steep mountain on a bike is even better.

Impulsiveness

**You may interrupt others or answer a question before the other person is finished. Entering in a conversation in the middle of someone else’s sentence can be embarrassing and lead to others thinking that you are rude and inconsiderate.

**You may blurt out your thoughts without thinking first. Do your friends and family know you for your “bluntness” or “complete honesty?” Do your thoughts jump out of your head before you even have time to decide if it is an appropriate response? Do you tend to hurt other people’s feelings with your remarks, even though you never intended to be insulting?

Emotional Turmoil

**You may become easily angered. Do you find your temper rising over the smallest incident? Does your family and friends wonder why you can get angry so quickly? At the same time, are you able to release your anger quickly, left wondering what all the fuss is about?

**You may have a low tolerance for frustration. Without instant success, do you find yourself become frustrated with a project and leaving it alone? It is possible that consistent failures in the past due to ADHD (diagnosed and undiagnosed) may have left you with a bad taste for “failure” and your frustration with not being able to complete a project successfully can create stress in your life.

**You may have unpredictable moods. Instability in moods, happy one moment, frustrated the next; depressed the next can create havoc in social relationships.

Low Self Esteem

**You may have the ability to appear confident to others. Previous failures and frustrations can cause your confidence to waver. On the outside, you might appear a confident outgoing individual, while you secretly fear your “imminent” failure.

**You may avoid new situations. To avoid the fear of failure, do you avoid entering into new relationships, or into situations involving something new in order to avoid possible failure?

Your ADD Guide

Eileen Bailey
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smooch For This Useful Post:
KCTang (06-03-08), NickL30 (01-02-09), oogenesis (09-17-08), prairiedawg (03-08-09), superstressed (02-11-09), ~carol~ (11-12-08)
Old 10-13-03, 01:39 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
I have all of that...
Old 10-13-03, 02:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
Nice well written piece of info smooch

thanks for finding and posting it

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-03, 02:59 PM
Forum Guru

Y'all are welcome! I was looking for something "short & sweet" that I could share with a "Linear Thinker...." I thought it was very well written, too.
Old 11-29-03, 03:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

Salsa is on a distinguished road
I passed about 97% of those.
Old 11-29-03, 09:10 AM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
I'd like to enter challenge...

I'd like to challenge every reader to ORGANIZE that list according to his or her OWN impressions, independent, if possible, of the opinions of others they have read, of which items in the list are related to each other, and which represent independent difficulties, that combine to make up what it is to be ADHD!

Please play... I'll wait to take my turn... if that is ok?
Old 11-29-03, 12:01 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
David: That sounds like a "David" project....(and way over the head of my ADD brain, in any event).....Please do go ahead and take your turn....and share your results.....

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
The Following User Says Thank You to joanrdtobe For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (05-28-09)
Old 12-17-03, 02:57 PM

Christine7777 is on a distinguished road
Wheel1975..I congratulate for even WRITING that challenge! haha Sometimes just reading directions like that throws me for a loop.
The Following User Says Thank You to Christine7777 For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (05-28-09)
Old 12-19-03, 02:15 AM

wizephoenix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Wheel1975
I'd like to enter challenge...

I'd like to challenge every reader to ORGANIZE that list according to his or her OWN impressions, independent, if possible, of the opinions of others they have read, of which items in the list are related to each other, and which represent independent difficulties, that combine to make up what it is to be ADHD!

Please play... I'll wait to take my turn... if that is ok?
Wow, this is tricky.
Nobody else tried though, so I'm gonna give it a shot. Bear with me.

May be forgetful in daily activities....and directions. I can walk into a building for an appointment, be inside for 10, 15 minutes, and not be able to get out of the building

You may have unpredictable moods....um, yeah

May lose things...it is not so much that I lose things, I tend to put things in wierd places, then when I need them later I can't find them...car keys end up in the bathroom frequently, my bankcard was under my fouton the other day, strange, strange things.

You may become easily angered...hair-trigger temper

May be difficult to motivate yourself to begin a project...it is wierd, there are always 30 different projects I want to complete, but somehow sitting on the Internet for hours, organizing my music, or watching my kittens beat up on each other takes prioriries, also procrastinate horribly

You may blurt out your thoughts without thinking first...nobody seems to appreciate my honesty....

You may get bored easily...I am ALWAYS bored. It is so annoying! I totally envy people that can just sit and watch TV, I can't

You may become restless after a few minutes of inactivity..."why can't you just sit and relax?" my mom is always saying to me

Okay, there is is. I'm not sure I followed the challenge correctly, but I don't always read the directions completely. Anyway, these are some of the things that bug my the most.
Old 12-19-03, 06:19 PM
Jr Member

millie is on a distinguished road
hey what was the challenge again??
ok i have all those things!!
memory is useless, always lose things, go to another room - what am i in there for again??
why is that person so stupid - very intolerant of others
"michelle you re so confident" no i am not - not deep down inside i feel stupid and inadequate
how can poeple watch mind numbing television - wish i could just switch off and do the same!
u left the milk out argh!!! so what? only me gettin upset over nothing!!
why is everyone better at their job, better looking, better at housekeeping, better at organising things than me??
gotta keep my body moving moving moving even though i am so tired - yawn!
constantly buttin in to conversations then feeling so rude and again inadequate.
imaptient with anything that takes longer than 2 seconds ie computer starting up argh hurry up!!

do i sound adhd?
Old 12-19-03, 11:29 PM
Forum Guru

Millie~

All I can say is, "Big ol' WELCOME to the family!!" You are at least among friends and fam here at the Forums--if not clones!!!

smoo
Old 01-11-04, 01:09 AM
Committee Member

wlfbear27 is on a distinguished road
On the challenge I am pretty much all of that except that i never lose anything (mainly because my wife puts them in the right place when she sees them laying around). I am able to watch a little tv mainly movies that are really interesting.
As my drill sergeant said to my mother if I couldn't get him to stop shaking that leg no one will (and still hasn't )
I constantly get irritated over stupid stuff and then have to be reminded why i was upset.
I was diagnosed when i was younger. I thought i could handle it by myself (dead wrong). My wife kinda put 2 and 2 together and said i needed to get help.
I'm just scared. I guess it's like I feel I have to admit I'm messed up or something. Sorry for rambleing.
Back to the challange.
I think the only thing i ever finised that I started was a book.
And my time management totally sucks.
well that about covers it thanks for bearing with me

Nick
Old 01-11-04, 01:12 AM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
Nick,

click New thread and start your own.. everybody will say hi!
Old 01-12-04, 12:17 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by wlfbear27
I'm just scared. I guess it's like I feel I have to admit I'm messed up or something. Sorry for rambleing.
Back to the challange.
Nick
Welcome to the Forums, Nick!

Just wanted you to know that being ADHD doesn't mean you're "messed up or something." My (unsolicited ) advice is to learn all that you possibly can about your diagnosis. In so doing, you'll learn a lot about your own brain wiring, and eventually/hopefully, you'll come to accept the way you are.

Regardless, you've found a FANTASTIC group of folks just like you here at ADD Forums. Thanks for joining us and posting--we like having everybody's 2 cents--or more!

smooch
Old 01-12-04, 09:04 PM
Committee Member

wlfbear27 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reassurance smooch.
Well I made my first adult appointment today.
I was diagnosed when I was younger and thought I could control it some how on my own and it just got harder and harder. I was never on meds my dad took the shut up and study approach.
My wife talked to her doctor today to find out if he knew anything about it. I was kinda lucky as he does and understands whats involved.
So wish me luck
thanks