ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 11-27-07, 11:08 PM

Vince is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

Hi everyone, this is my first posting, hope I don't violate any rules!

The posts by Jeremynd and Luthien especially resonate with me. I was diagnosed with ADD back in Jan '05.....and I have read tons of stuff on the subject, trying to understand it better....and it wasn't till just LAST WEEK that I first encountered the term:

"Sluggish Cognitive Tempo"

........but it describes sooooo many facets of me, it is spooky!

Like Luthien's description, I have been "tested out" as having "a high IQ" (for whatever that is worth), supposedly over 140. HOWEVER, once I got past High School freshman algebra, learning math beyond that was like pulling teeth.

(I tortured and browbeat myself all the way thru Calculus III in college...failing Calc I and Calc II once each before passing....just to "prove to myself I could do it." Of course, within one week after each course was over, I probably forgot 95% of everything).

I'm super good at recalling things that "interest me," or that I "care about," or that "resonate with me"......

.......of course, how to define each of those categories is a whole 'nother story.

I often say, "my brain has a mind of its own," in the sense that I usually feel like there is something like an "inner gyroscope" in my head that has its OWN agenda about what it does and does NOT care about....and that my "conscious mind" can run itself ragged trying to "force" myself to get interested in this or that, or study this or that...but it is like "pounding sand down a rathole."
The Following User Says Thank You to Vince For This Useful Post:
xxskar34 (09-02-08)
Old 12-02-07, 08:19 PM
Forum Guru

sloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

Dear Echo -

Although I can't claim any REMARKABLE improvement from my ADHD treatment attempts as of yet, I would like you to know that (if I'm remembering correctly) the SCT subtype really resonates with me as well. And I also cannot understand why anyone here would get so "passionate" about your posts regarding the subject.

I'm sorry you haven't received the kind of replies you were hoping for. I would definitely have been interested in those responses myself.

Sincerely,
Sue
Old 12-06-07, 06:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

Dear all,
I am a little surprised to read how much emotion this debate is generating; the mentioning of creating in- and out-groups ("purple eyes") etcetera.
For me all this is simply trying to understand myself - not about defining a group and erecting borders of any kind. When I first read about the "SCT profile" it made a lot of sense to me because it described me so well. And of course it is helpful and healing to see all this in others as well.
In the time between this post and my previous in this thread I have received a second opinion diagnosis, and this pdoc was more detailed than the previous one: severely inattentive, and not hyperactive/impulsive at all. He does not use the term SCT, but just ADHD-PI - which is totally fine with me. I don't care what the name of my label is, and I am totally happy to share thoughts, opinions and emotions with all ADD people, hyper, not hyper, what have you.

It may be that the ADHD-PI group will be subdivided in the future. But to me, that is entirely a scientific issue, and therefore an interesting subject for debate. As it is now, the group is indeed quite varied. But that is just an observation, and not something that I resent or feel bad about at all.

I am merely relieved and touched to find that there are also people under the ADD 'umbrella' who are so much like I am.
And that's all there is to it for me.

love & light,
~luthien

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 50 mg/d

The Following User Says Thank You to Luthien For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-19-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-07, 05:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

xav has disabled reputation
Re: Treatment framework for adults with SCT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo5Tango
<p>...
<p>However, as I am now an adult, without access to such time machine, and more than a little frustrated with the lack of info on what works for Adults with ADHD, I am wondering if any one here has any links to effective strategies, tactics, compensations, approaches or treatments, other than medication, specific to Adults with SCT. Nothing against meds, I'm on a stimulant and it helps, but not enough for me to be functional and stable. </p>
<p>Am looking through the other topics on treatment, but every thing I've found so far has been very generalized, or honestly reads more like a sales pitch for a coach, rather than a treatment module. I'm trying to find a framework of what works and why. Thanks for any pointers or info any one may share.</p>
Hello,

To be frank your post interested me like no other post since almost two years!
I totally agree with your fustration about the help specific to Adults.
I agree ever more since , as a french, i have no treatment and no way to test for add...
...i don't know if i am inattentive, sluggish or whatever type of inattention deficit...
What i know is that since childhood my working memory is awfull. My calculation skills too but i not too bad in maths ...

Now past forty i have more than 20 years of tactics and compensations with this problem.
Briefly what work ? reading, playing chess ( at least trying to ... ), coffee, aspirin and vitamin C ( not all in the same time of course ), sport and manual work.
What don't work ? Alcohol !! stay away of that !!

What improvment during these years ? electronic agendas and definitively smartphones !! The youngs adults have no ideas how it was difficult to juggle with work and agenda before having the possibility to synchronise your pocket phone and your computer..
Old 02-26-08, 06:49 PM
Jr Member

alextai356 is on a distinguished road

I'm currently a student at Harvard Law School and have been on adderall since 9th grade. I would absolutely describe myself as a person that perfectly fits the SCT description, which I have only learned about recently. Particularly, the "in a fog" effect is the best characterization I have ever found of my problems. Daydreaming, being socially shy (although I would say that my baseline personality, without the SCT is extroverted - leading to much internal conflict), etc. all fit my issues.

The adderall treatment has worked very well for me, at least work-wise. But it has had adverse effects on my social abilities, as I often feel a lack of emotion that makes me seem very disconnected and "stiff," for lack of a better word, to many of my peers. Since I don't take adderall on the weekends for the most part, many of my friends have mentioned to me how differently I act in social settings on those occasions.

So recently I decided to go a week in school without using adderall. While I have definitely gone for long stretches of time without use of medication (on vacations, etc.), I have never done so while in school or at work. Thus far, I'm finding that the "in the fog" effect hasn't changed a bit since I was in high school. For subjects that I find interesting, for the most part I can focus and perform well, but for other subjects the experience is very comparable to repeatedly hitting my head against a brick wall - the more I try to focus, the cloudier my head gets.

My big question is - are there any medications that have the efficacy of Adderall in treating the focusing problems of SCT without the subsequent loss of emotion that so impairs sociability? Or is there some way to use Adderall and not suffer the loss of emotion? Thanks a ton guys!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alextai356 For This Useful Post:
aystro (10-15-11), evanh (09-30-08), willinabox (07-13-09)
Old 02-26-08, 07:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextai356 View Post
My big question is - are there any medications that have the efficacy of Adderall in treating the focusing problems of SCT without the subsequent loss of emotion that so impairs sociability? Or is there some way to use Adderall and not suffer the loss of emotion? Thanks a ton guys!
I don't have the loss of emotion on dexedrine. But then again, I've tried Adderal for a short time and it seemed quite similar to dexedrine .. although, maybe dexedrine is a bit more "mellow".

Old 02-26-08, 08:53 PM

Captain Obvious has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Obvious has a spectacular aura about

I'm the opposite of you guys. The meds seem to actually increase my emotions. And I have SCT/ADHD-I.

If ya'll want a good chemical that helps with the "fog" effect, try some ALCAR (acetyl-L-Carnitine). Stack it with a good choline source such as bitartrate or citrate, a B-complex, and some ALA (alpha lipoic acid). Last maybe some potassium.

This stack really seems to make everything more clear for me. Especially when you first start taking ALA, your vision is clearer, which only adds to the good "clear" feeling this stack gives you.

It's not a solution to the sluggishness/motivation difficulties. That's best solved with meds + therapy. Nor does it help with processing speed, per se. When I'm on it, my thoughts and task accomplishment are still slower than the average person, but everything "clicks" more, and you're just a little closer to "normal."

If you have no idea what any of that stuff is, just google "nootropics" and immerse yourself in a brave new world of brain chemicals.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (01-26-11), Jewelz81 (11-12-11), oreomunky (05-09-13)
Old 02-27-08, 01:29 AM
Jr Member

Luthien and Capt. Obvious - thanks for the responses! It's good to find other people to discuss this issue with it that can understand where I'm coming from.

Luthien - if you don't mind me asking, what dosage of dexedrine do you take? I take one 20mg pill of Adderall (not XR) once per day in the morning, and only when I have classes/work to do that day.

Given that the Adderall is really only effective for about 2-3 hours for me, I don't think my dosage is too high. 2-3 hours is enough time for me to get most if not all of my work done, so the dosage is probably not too low either (esp. given my concerns about side effects).
Old 02-27-08, 02:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Luthien - if you don't mind me asking, what dosage of dexedrine do you take? I take one 20mg pill of Adderall (not XR) once per day in the morning, and only when I have classes/work to do that day.
I usually take 40 mg/day .. 2x10 mg spansules in the morning and 8 hrs later either 2x5mg IR & again after 4 hrs .. or another 2x10 mg spansules.

I'm not totally certain if the spansules really work 8 hrs. They seem to have an initial boost, and wear of very gradually.
Maybe it's more effective to take the IR's.

Old 02-27-08, 02:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

orbit1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I'm the opposite of you guys. The meds seem to actually increase my emotions. And I have SCT/ADHD-I.

If ya'll want a good chemical that helps with the "fog" effect, try some ALCAR (acetyl-L-Carnitine). Stack it with a good choline source such as bitartrate or citrate, a B-complex, and some ALA (alpha lipoic acid). Last maybe some potassium.

This stack really seems to make everything more clear for me. Especially when you first start taking ALA, your vision is clearer, which only adds to the good "clear" feeling this stack gives you.

It's not a solution to the sluggishness/motivation difficulties. That's best solved with meds + therapy. Nor does it help with processing speed, per se. When I'm on it, my thoughts and task accomplishment are still slower than the average person, but everything "clicks" more, and you're just a little closer to "normal."

If you have no idea what any of that stuff is, just google "nootropics" and immerse yourself in a brave new world of brain chemicals.

Do you cycle alcar? I love it, coffee+alcar+choline, but it seems to loose effectiveness quickly.
Old 02-27-08, 08:03 AM

Captain Obvious has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Obvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I take one 20mg pill of Adderall (not XR) once per day in the morning, and only when I have classes/work to do that day.

(esp. given my concerns about side effects).
Wow.... that's it? *shrugs* well, whatever works. I hate the short-acting stuff. Too many hills and valleys. I can see why it's the most addictive type (besides the fact that it's easier to smoke/snort than extended-release versions) because it really sucks when you "come down" so to speak. "Aww... is it over already? Maybe I'll have just one more...." And so begins the cycle of lameness....

But that's me.... you're not me.... so yeah.

I take 70mg Vyvanse... Great stuff, but my body seems to process it rather quickly compared to most people. It's supposed to last for 12 hours.... I can only feel it working for 6. I'm going to be lobbying my doctor to give me some smaller dosage pills along with the initial morning dose to... "keep my buzz going" so to speak. But by "buzz" I mean adrenaline release so I get up off my behind and accomplish my goals. At the end of next week, I'm possibly looking at taking 160mg of Vyvanse throught the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit1 View Post
Do you cycle alcar? I love it, coffee+alcar+choline, but it seems to loose effectiveness quickly.
Not as of yet, but I am beginning to feel a decline in its effects. I've used it consistently for about two weeks now, as pre-spring break exam period is incredibly taxing, but since spring break is coming up next week, I'll see if a week is enough down-time.

--------------

Last, I realize I'm about two months late for this specific thread, but I thought I'd put in my two cents about the SCT classification/exclusion/"breaking up our happy family" debate going on.

Does the classification of my disorder matter to the little screwed up chemicals in my brain that make me think slow? No. Would changing my diagnosis effect my treatment right now? No. The fact of the matter is a diagnosis of ADD/SCT/ABCDEFG will not change the fact that "SCTish" people respond most favorably to amphetamines or bupropion. The same treatments also, conveniently, apply to broadly defined ADHD.

Why change the classification, then?

Simple. Research.

Just because adderall may work for a certain individual with SCT doesn't mean a BETTER cure won't be discovered tomorrow. Perhaps this new drug is a blanket panacea for everyone in the ADHD spectrum, SCT included. However, we all know the likelyhood of that happening... More likely, a more effective treatment for inattentive type would NOT benefit hyperactive/combined type. But since inattentives are only a small part of the ADHD spectrum, why make a drug that benefits the minority only?

Profits are the bottom line. Why would GlaxcoSmithKline spend the millions of dollars in research for 1/8th {arbitrary #} of the ADHD population while Shire just combines amphetamine with an amino acid and develops Vyvanse, a drug that will help the other 7/8ths? The most effort they're going to put into this would be to develop their own generic when Adderall's patent runs out. Or perhaps try to find a broad spectrum ADHD drug to compete with Vyvanse/Adderall.

They're not gonna waste their time with a disease that doesn't "technically" exist.

For those of you who are prescribed Vyvanse, and I'm talking to anyone of any ADHD subtype, look at the drug info. Near the bottom of the page they list some studies done that back up their claims to how well it works. I don't have it with me, but from what I remember, every study specifically mentioned the test subjects were ADHD-hyperactive or ADHD-combined. Inattentives were excluded for undivulged reasons, but I've got a hunch it's because members of this subtype would skew the results and make the product look less effective.

Inattentives are being excluded from many research studies.... because less is known about them...?

Irony?

The drug companies already recognize that the pieces don't fit. I don't think the world would end if you made a whole new category for people who are already being excluded anyway.

If you separate SCT (or, preferably, the broader classification of ADHD-inattentive) from ADHD completely, now there is incentive for research. Now you have the "Omg, that fits me perfectly" people getting their own label. Hell, look through the thread, we had about 15 already.

And now all of a sudden, there's a brave new world out there for research. And a chance to make money from all the newly-diagnosed "me too" people who jump on the bandwagon. You're no longer doing research for 1/8th of a disease population. You're doing research for 8/8ths of a new disease.

And yes, as has been pointed out, there is no shortage of research on google about SCT. However, this research is dedicated to differentiation only. Not to treatment.

"ADHD inattentive subtype shows different neuroactivity than combined or hyperactive subtype" or something of the sort.

Yeah.... no sh*t..... how do you fix it?

This very thread deteriorated from a support thread on SCT to a debate over its existance.

With all due respect to free speech and open board discussion, calling someone's symptoms imaginary isn't very "supportive"...

Google SCT again. Now google ADHD. Merely the act of giving something an official title has drastic effects.

Okay.... so that was more than two cents. Shoot me. Anyone else find it ironic that an ADHD forum is filled with such long posts?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:
ADifferentDrum (01-02-13), ajmit3 (04-09-14), bradd (09-26-09), inmotion (01-16-10), Jshect (12-23-11), Luthien (02-27-08), neuron (09-18-08), Prusilusken (08-10-08)
Old 02-27-08, 02:32 PM
Jr Member

The 20mg only lasts about 2-3 hours for me, but that's about all I need to get things done. Taking more means more side effects – precisely what I want to avoid. I've taken 20mg twice in a day before when I'm swamped with work, and I feel like a zombie after awhile. The "overmedicated" feeling is absolutely horrible for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to alextai356 For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (06-09-11)
Old 02-27-08, 05:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Wow.... that's it? *shrugs* well, whatever works. I hate the short-acting stuff. Too many hills and valleys. I can see why it's the most addictive type (besides the fact that it's easier to smoke/snort than extended-release versions) because it really sucks when you "come down" so to speak. "Aww... is it over already? Maybe I'll have just one more...." And so begins the cycle of lameness....

But that's me.... you're not me.... so yeah.
I like the short-acting better .. it allows imo for more control. I find the effect much more clear-cut .. f.i. when a dex spansule is worked out, it is so gradual that I almost always forget to take a next dose. With the IM, that does not happen so fast. I'm not really afraid to get addicted - let alone that I'd snort the stuff , but I do watch myself for those telltale 'ahh just ONE more' signs.

I was thinking a bit more about the intensity of emotions on meds .. I said that I did not experience a decrease in emotions. Come to think of it - it is indeed rather an increase.
Quote:
Okay.... so that was more than two cents. Shoot me. Anyone else find it ironic that an ADHD forum is filled with such long posts?
it is ironic considering that the first D stands for Deficit - but like Ned Hallowell says, that's not correct. He proposes the term Attention Variability Syndrome

btw - you make good points about SCT as a category. Thanks!

Old 02-27-08, 05:51 PM
Forum Guru

sloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of light

Yes - I second that, Luthien. You do make EXCELLENT POINTS, Captain Obvious! (Great name!)

Sue
Old 02-28-08, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
I was thinking a bit more about the intensity of emotions on meds .. I said that I did not experience a decrease in emotions. Come to think of it - it is indeed rather an increase.
Yeah. Without being too sciency, the meds increase dopamine and norepinephrine, giving you both energy and desire to concentrate. The percieved "emotionless" state is because your thoughts aren't ON your emotions. But if they ARE on these emotions, whether positive or negative, it "greases the rails" of whatever train of thought is on the track.

This is why you never give ADHD meds to someone who is bi-polar or OCD... I think you can guess the results for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
it is ironic considering that the first D stands for Deficit - but like Ned Hallowell says, that's not correct. He proposes the term Attention Variability Syndrome
I don't even think it's that. It's actually the opposite, at least with me. It's hyperfocus on irrelevant crap. I talked about this with my psychiatrist. A "normal" brain (if there is such a thing) is able to multitask by keeping 90% focused on the current task at hand, while every once in a while the mind trails off to other tasks like, "oh, yeah, I gotta go get milk on the way home" or "I have a meeting at this time." They're still able to revert attention back to the current task in a snap.

ADHD people are unable to do that. It's either 100% or nothing.

Screw that attention "deficit" or "variability" junk. It just appears that way to an observer when, in fact, it's the opposite.

ADHD people either have a dopamine deficit or are hypersensitive to it (or probably both). When something is interesting, it increases dopamine and, for whatever reason, our brains CRAVE dopamine moreso than the average human.

And, on the flip side, boring tasks produce less dopamine -- or at least we have a lower baseline level.

So, it is LITERALLY more painful for an ADHD person to do a mundane task than the average person. So, in turn, the brain is actually LOOKING for distractions.

Tell THAT to someone who believes ADHD isn't a real disease.

And yes, I have a dopamine boost while writing this.... supercharged by Vyvanse..... as well as the above post. That's why they're so long... Attention deficit my *ss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppitty-sue View Post
Yes - I second that, Luthien. You do make EXCELLENT POINTS, Captain Obvious! (Great name!)

Sue
Avast there, matey.

-------------

One problem I have with the "SCT" label, though. You would have to keep it under the umbrella of ADHD inattentive, even if you separate ADHD-I from the other types. There are a billion causes for people thinking slow, and if you make "sluggish cognitive tempo" it's own disease, you have to include everyone. Then the disease is way too broad, easy to fake just to get meds/accomodations, and hard to research.

I'm quite sure SCT and ADHD-I are somehow linked and the specific cause of it is unique to only this disease. You sever that link and you effectively eliminate all hope of proper treatment.

I do, however, believe ADHD-I is distinct and separate from ADHD-H and ADHD-C and must be labeled accordingly.

They don't treat ADHD-inattentive. Nor do they treat ADHD-hyperactive or ADHD-combined.

They treat ADHD.

The sub-groups are ignored and you just hope you respond to the treatment you're given.

Stims ain't the best answer for us. They overstress our adrenal glands and our cardiovascular system. Off meds, my pulse is 65-70. On, it's about 90.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:
ajmit3 (04-09-14), Jewelz81 (11-12-11), Schroeder (05-28-09)