ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 09-22-09, 11:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold
Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willinabox View Post
I know that this threat is jumbled with different questions but I am just curious to see what medications if any all you ADHD-I SCT are currently taking. This is the only thread I have found regarding SCT
Anyone with SCT had results with wellbutrin or modifinil?
There is a group of us SCTers here. I am spending little time with it as study and research of it and related subjects command so much of my attention. http://www.addforums.com/forums/group.php?groupid=60

I have tried Ritalin, Wellbutrin, and recently, Adderall. The Adderall came the closest to actually helping, but the side effects were ugly and my wife didn't like who I was on it.

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

"Spend a day in my head before you tell me what my problem is!"
Old 09-26-09, 04:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

bradd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperann View Post
I'm glad the bickering earlier in the thread seems to have simmered down.
As an aside, I'm not sure I see how that should be characterized as as "bickering".

(But then a possible comorbid of mine falls under the category of NLD -non-verbal learning disorder-, so possibly this was just the cognitive equivalent of a 'blind spot'. [???])

Bradd

Pardon me for not first introducing myself: I'm 49 years old, male, with a recent official diagnosis of AD/HD-I. My symptoms fit the SCT construct to a tee. (FWIW, recent IQ score: 131.)

(I also have a non-verbal learning disorder of some kind which I was informed of from the clinical psychologist my shrink had once sent me to for psychometric testing. However my shrink would later only stifle my attempts to discuss or get any more information regarding that, so I do not know for certain whether this was something officially diagnosed or not.)
The Following User Says Thank You to bradd For This Useful Post:
ADD3r (04-14-10)
Old 09-26-09, 05:09 PM

Technojunkie will become famous soon enough

Vision therapy update: I've made enough progress that I could stop now if I had to but I'm going to do several more weeks for good measure. I'm still often sluggish but I don't think that my eyes are holding me back. I probably need to tweak my diet and exercise program some more. I'm still off Adderall. Once I'm done with weekly vision therapy sessions I'll be doing exercises three days per week instead of daily and follow up with the doc in three months.

All Inattentives should get screened for Convergence Insufficiency and related eye muscle disorders. It's worth the minor expense to at least rule it out. Vision therapy is not cheap, my total bill by the time I'm done will probably be around $2500 and that's way better than most, but I'm so dependent on reading for my livelihood that it's well worth it.
GET TESTED FOR HEAVY METALS! Read Andrew Cutler and this Mercury Detox site devoted to Cutler's protocol. Mercury fillings are the common but far from only source. Mercury is one cause of Convergence Insufficiency, treated with vision therapy, presents similar to ADHD-PI, will come back if you don't chelate mercury. Mercury can also screw up your adrenals which, again, looks a lot like ADD. Eat Paleo! Petrochemical food additives aggravate ADHD!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-09, 04:03 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,022 Times in 360 Posts
Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technojunkie View Post
Vision therapy update: I've made enough progress that I could stop now if I had to but I'm going to do several more weeks for good measure. I'm still often sluggish but I don't think that my eyes are holding me back. I probably need to tweak my diet and exercise program some more. I'm still off Adderall. Once I'm done with weekly vision therapy sessions I'll be doing exercises three days per week instead of daily and follow up with the doc in three months.

All Inattentives should get screened for Convergence Insufficiency and related eye muscle disorders. It's worth the minor expense to at least rule it out. Vision therapy is not cheap, my total bill by the time I'm done will probably be around $2500 and that's way better than most, but I'm so dependent on reading for my livelihood that it's well worth it.
Yeah dude, keep it up!
Old 11-23-09, 05:08 PM

lamby is on a distinguished road

I don't know what I'm going to do with my life, having these limitations. I feel everyone on here functions much better than I do. It makes me wonder if my SCT is compounded with a low IQ.

One area I excelled at was drawing and other visual arts. Unlike other activities I could do it hours on end. Growing up, I didn't know anyone else that outdid in me in that area. Maybe I should pursue it again, as it might be the only way to escape my mediocrity.
Old 11-24-09, 12:57 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,154 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

People with a low IQ do not write "It makes me wonder if my SCT is compounded with a low IQ. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamby View Post
I don't know what I'm going to do with my life, having these limitations. I feel everyone on here functions much better than I do. It makes me wonder if my SCT is compounded with a low IQ.

One area I excelled at was drawing and other visual arts. Unlike other activities I could do it hours on end. Growing up, I didn't know anyone else that outdid in me in that area. Maybe I should pursue it again, as it might be the only way to escape my mediocrity.
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 11-24-09, 02:21 AM

Addelerious will become famous soon enough

When I first read about Sluggish Cognitive Tempo type, that's when all doubt about really having ADD disappeared for good. Even though I was diagnosed and put on meds, I was married to someone who I secretly suspected didn't believe in it, because he was very non-supportive. Well now I know what type of person not to be partnered with

You know how sometimes people who don't know any better say, "yeah, well everybody acts that way -blah, blah,blah. Then you start doubting yourself and your diagnosis even though you know other people don't struggle all the time and to the extent you do.However, I have ALL the traits of SCT. Although I now know I have above average intelligence,I used to feel stupid sometimes because it seemed like everyone but me, understood something right off and I didn't "get it". When your brain is still slowly assimilating the first part after the verbal instructions have gone on to the next step, you lose everything that comes after it.

For example, I used to be a dancer (ballet, modern) and I was very good at it. However, when I had to audition and was given a series of steps to quickly learn and execute - it was humiliating, because I looked like someone who didn't have a clue as to what they were doing!

It's only now, decades later I understand what happened. It was the working memory dysfunction. I cannot quickly learn something while I'm trying to do it. I can learn to do or understand anything as well as anyone else, however, I can't learn it as quickly. My brain just doesn't work in the same way. I can't do numbers in my head and I can't cook and talk to people at the same time. I either don't really hear what they're saying or I find myself talking to them while I've stopped working and I'm standing there talking with a spoon or knife in my hand. When my kids were little and always interrupting as kids will do,I described it to them like this: "When mommy is cooking, her brain is tuned to the cooking channel and when you interrupt me, I have to stop what I'm doing and tune into the kid channel so dinner will take a lot longer".

Normally I have no trouble concentrating on what I'm reading, but if there's loud noise or music, I'll find myself reading the same thing over again or reading it slower.

I found when I took ski lessons, the lessons never sunk in until hours or days later. Often I do better when I stop trying to think about what I'm doing cause my thinking seems to interfere with the doing.

Can anyone relate to what I'm describing?
jgthejedi510 (06-05-11), Keep0nkeepn0n (12-02-09), kpinvt (11-17-12)
Old 11-24-09, 06:07 PM
Jr Member

Linkx is on a distinguished road

That sounds a lot like me - maybe I should make an appointment sometime in the next year. >_>
Old 11-24-09, 06:13 PM
Jr Member

Linkx is on a distinguished road

Addelerious, I can fully relate to everything you've just said! I'm a musician, not a dancer, and I've always had the same problem on auditions that required sight-reading material.

I'm good at learning new music, but I need to work out in my mind exactly how it is supposed to sound before I can start playing it. It always felt like there was something missing in my mind and that I was in some way disabled even though I was known to be "gifted" (I'm not trying to brag, and I don't agree with that label.)
Old 11-24-09, 07:05 PM

Addelerious will become famous soon enough

I've just thought of something interesting .............

I don't seem to have this working memory problem when the steps are given slowly enough and there's plenty of time to execute it before going on to the next step. It appears to be a function of speed, how fast the information is coming in and how much time between doing and getting new information.

I still have to practice doing it a few times and practicing before I forget what I've learned. The practice afterwards seems to "set" the memory.

Also what helps me: reviewing the action mentally before starting, not during, but beforehand.

For example, I was learning how to paraglide. I quickly realized that I have to review mentally what to do before attempting to inflate the paraglider wing off the ground. Once you've started to lift it, everything seems to move very fast and it's hard for me to remember "right side falling, use opposite break, move laterally to that side,etc." By the time I've thought out what I'm supposed to do, it's crashed to the ground

Also, I discovered I learn much better from some teachers and others are useless to me. The senior instructor constantly fired off instructions at lightening speed and my brain just "crashed" from overload. The guy I learned from was slow and patient.

So if possible, choose your teachers carefully.
Old 11-29-09, 05:13 PM

irony is on a distinguished road

I'm fairly certain I have SCT.

I completely understand the above posters talking about "not getting something right away". I have felt like a complete idiot at times.

I think I have a math deficiency too. As a teen I took the ACT test instead of the SATs- ACTs have sections on science, math, social studies, etc. I scored in the 90+% range on everything except math, which I scored in the 70s.

As far as treatments, I think stims make me worse, at least for concentrating on work stuff, which is computer programming. I was given desipramine in college and my calculus class grades went from Fs to As.

Unfortunately, I cannot really tolerate desipramine - it makes me anxious and depressed. Nasty drug really.

So I keep waiting for something to come along that will work.
Old 11-30-09, 05:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by irony View Post
I'm fairly certain I have SCT.
As far as treatments, I think stims make me worse, at least for concentrating on work stuff, which is computer programming. I was given desipramine in college and my calculus class grades went from Fs to As.
It's still surprising me how different people react on medications. Stims make me a lot better, even in creativity of which I have heard many others say that medication suppresses it. It is as if I can now keep following thoughts and ideas long enough to actually start doing things; while without meds it would generally remain stuck in the "gee, that's a cool idea" phase.
Disadvantage of medication is that it makes me even more sensitive to things like traffic noise. But that's doable.

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 50 mg/d

The Following User Says Thank You to Luthien For This Useful Post:
jgthejedi510 (06-05-11)
Old 11-30-09, 05:28 PM

Ladedk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addelerious View Post
I've just thought of something interesting .............For example, I was learning how to paraglide.
Hey. The above, coupled with what you said about delayed learning when skiing, made me think of what i experience in high-adrenaline situations.
When parachuting or bungeejumping, i remember how people would be hollering and screaming while doing it, and i thought "pi** off, there no chance you can get that kind of reaction out of it". I would get back on gound kind of shrugging my shoulders thinking that it was a cool experience, and that was it. But my "kick" or rush came hours later. I don't know if anyone else can relate, it's just one of those things that i have always thought of as strange.....
Old 12-02-09, 02:25 PM

lamby is on a distinguished road

I just have two questions: how do you guys get **** done with your disorder? Do you have trouble following and participating in a conversation?
Old 12-02-09, 02:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

Quote:
I just have two questions:
ah

Quote:
how do you guys get **** done with your disorder?
Now I have two questions ..
- with guys, do you mean men only? Just asking b/c I'm not a native speaker; and sometimes it is used in a general sense - like people; but at other times it seems to mean men.
- what does "****" mean?

or wait, it's three questions. (no Monty Python reference intended)
- what does to get done with (...) mean? Or, for that matter, to get **** done with (...)?

Quote:
Do you have trouble following and participating in a conversation?
Yes. It gets harder the:
- more people are involved;
- more background noise there is;
- more analysis-at-the-same-time is required (as when being explained something);
- more annoying group dynamics (i.e. hidden agenda's, machismo) is displayed;
- more distraction there is;
- more boring the subject is (economics, sports, cars, TV, celebrities, to name a few;
- slower the other person(s) speaks;
- more formal the gathering is;
- less I can move about.

So it's very easy to talk to one other person about something personal when walking in a forest; but it is extremely hard following a conversation between a jock, a bodybuilder, a fundamentalist and a drama queen who are trying to explain the gory details of bookkeeping to one another sitting in a busy bar
Actually, I think that last one cannot be done at all.

Sorry, this sounds quite silly, but I am serious. Those things really do make it very hard.

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 50 mg/d