ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 03-29-10, 07:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road
Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

thats pretty much the same for me....Exercise and 8 hours of sleep are two huge boosters for me...

I am also experimenting with wellbutrin and stimulants when I need them. Wellbutrin seems to work well. It also helps a little with focus and energy. However, I like to drink and I can't drink while I am on it so I dunno if its worth the trade off (I am still in college)
The Following User Says Thank You to willinabox For This Useful Post:
Oldwinger (04-13-10)
Old 03-29-10, 07:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road

Is anyone up to date on any information regarding Dr. Barkleys treatment towards SCT. He is the only doctor I have ever heard mention it.
Old 04-02-10, 09:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

windsoul will become famous soon enough

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and I am just as grateful as most of you here to have come across Sluggish Cognitive Tempo..

It's been 6 years going through the craziest of things.. from being diagnosed with OCD to Social Anxiety to Depression to Asperger's Syndrome and FINALLY I have found some kind of relief when I chanced upon SCT in Wikipedia.

It even went to the point that I was posting on an Asperger's Forum, the last "misdiagnosis" I remember, because I thought I had that condition from some comments by a psychiatrist a few years ago - which did match the traits I was displaying,

but I knew something was Off, because my mind was moving So damn slowly and I could interact with people.. just slower.

Today, I'm posting here in hopes of finding out more about Wellbutrin.

When I recently realised it was something Adhd-related that I had, not knowing it was ADD/Inattentive/SCT, I was given Strattera after telling them 'Adhd' - and I've been taking it two weeks now.. Only problem is that I think Strattera is for Adhd, and NOT Inattentive Adhd, and it's kind of "slowing" me down!

But I dont want to suddenly stop it, and want to consult my psychiatrist first.

I somehow strongly believe Wellbutrin should have been the medication prescribed to me - and it has been the quite "impossible" 2-4 week wait for Strattera to kick in (I have been taking it for 2 weeks now).. feeling Lethargic in the meantime, but I somehow have a strong feeling I'm taking the wrong medication..

Anyways, I'm very grateful to everyone who has posted here, your posts have been most helpful to me, only recently having understood why my brain moves so slowly.

Regards,
Windsoul
The Following User Says Thank You to windsoul For This Useful Post:
ADD3r (04-23-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-10, 02:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

Hi,

I'm having trouble sleeping and felt that I needed to come here and pour my heart out. This is perhaps the only other place I have left, besides speaking with my psychologist.

SCT probably started becoming apparent to me in my life when I became a teen at 13 - of course I didn't know what it was called or what my issue was. As of this year, it's been 6 long years for me being on different medications, not knowing what my issue was all along, until a week ago coming to learn about SCT.

And during those 6 years, all I noticed was my world closing in on me, not being able to make friends, not being able to manage on my own with the slowness of my thinking, and as someone mentioned in a post earlier, people simply pushing aside our explanations about feeling slow and telling us that we're 'just depressed, get over it!'

Through the 6 years has been nothing but loneliness.. even the thought of not being able to take care of my parents when they get old, because I couldn't take care of myself, I was both very ashamed and very frightened. There were many times that I was hopeful in the medications that I had been prescribed, thinking that I finally found my diagnosis.. it was Ocd, or Social Anxiety, or Depression, or Asperger's.. but they were all so-to-speak the "wrong" medications.. now that I'm finally here posting.

There have been many lonely tears. I simply started thinking I was going crazy.. and not to sound morbid, but the thought of simply cutting out that "slow" and "heavy" part of my brain was constantly on my mind.. not knowing what the cause was and frustration simply kept growing and growing. I got into fights with people at school, unaware how the medication I had been taking in the earlier years were actually numbing me emotionally BUT still under the impression that I was taking the right thing because I already had my so-called "diagnosis" at the time, and I felt I should keep up with it.

Along the way, I was hating myself more and more but didn't know what to do and then started questioning the medications and what my condition actually was.. that's when they whole crazy trip of jumping from depression to asperger's came - I got desperate in understanding what my condition was (as with anyone who wants to confirm what they have to treat it properly, and have a sense of relief.)

Naturally, there were many thoughts of suicide on many different occasions, but I have somehow always felt that I couldn't bring myself to do it. My siblings and parents didn't understand me too, and at times got angry with me as I was an angry person myself most of the time, but I am very fortunate that I have a loving family. They have however kind of reached a 'here we go again' phase when I tried to put across what Sluggish Cognitive Tempo is and how it's a sub-category of ADD, after different conditions I've tried to find out on the net and explain to them over the years simply to have some resolve for myself. But I can't blame them, it has been many years.

Now, I'm simply hopeful to get a switch to Wellbutrin next week, instead of taking the Strattera which is more for ADHD/Hyper. I'd like to get off the Prozac that I'm on too.

I pray that things will work out, and have planned out notes to "properly" put my discussion across to the psychiatrist, should they be hesitant to prescribe the medication, and of course to be calm and well-mannered, unlike the ideas I had a few days back of being rash with them and telling them how ***k*d up this has been for me and how they've been wasting my time.

I also pray for the rest of you, that things may work out and be manageable, not perfect or ideal because it can't be perfect.. but to get better with time, find suitable meds and get the support you need.

I look forward to many more updates and support from you guys. Thank you.

Cheers,
Windsoul
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to windsoul For This Useful Post:
ellebro (05-10-12), squarerootof2 (04-03-10)
Old 04-18-10, 03:22 PM
Jr Member

shamu321 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone. Windsoul, I'm glad you found this place, I'm sure it will be helpful to talk to others who are struggling with the same issues.

Willinabox...you said you were in college...mind if I ask what you're studying? I'm a senior in high school right now, and I have a dilemmna about what I should study.

Well...where to start? I have always been a motivated student, and cared about doing well in school. I pretty much breezed through school until my freshman year of high school. That year I began to struggle somewhat, not a lot, but I had about two Bs that year. I probably hurt myself by caring SO MUCH about the grades I had, and focusing less on the learning aspect, but my high school was very competitive and grades are a big deal. My interest have always been more towards the math/science area. I have always been fascinated with science and pretty much since 2nd grade thought I wanted to be a scientist. I also have always loved math because it was more black and white, and it felt more real to me than subjects like english/history.

My dilemmna exists because the classes that come easiest to me are english/history classes. I can usually get by with less effort put into those classes than my science and math. I have gotten some not as spectacular grades in particularly science courses in the past...a few Bs. I'm interested in being an engineer or possibly optometry/dentistry. I'm not bad at math and science, I have a good brain for concepts, but I sometimes seem to have a bit of a delay before it comes clear to me. Once I understand it, I usually do just as well or better than others on tests and projects. I know what I want to do, but I have a lack of confidence in myslef to achieve it.

I know part of my problem is biological, but I think part of it may be motivational related. I have had too many bad experiences in school because of my sct symptoms, and too many comments about being too slow on tests and things. I think that this has hurt my self-esteem and possibly hurt my motivation to try as hard as I coul be trying in some of my advance math/science courses. I think if I was dless concerned with what other people thought of me, I woouldn't be as embarassed that I sometimes had to work harder to perform at the same level. I also think I definitely have sct (which would be biological), and so I have less control over that.

I'm sorry this post is so long...it's just something that's been on my mind for a while. If anyone here can tell me there college/career experiences with having to deal with sct that would be cool. Especially, if you work or study in a more applied math/science field I would love to here your experiences. I just need some encouragement.
The Following User Says Thank You to shamu321 For This Useful Post:
willinabox (07-26-10)
Old 04-19-10, 11:57 AM
Jr Member

d3xter404 is on a distinguished road

@Willinabox:

I would highly suggest doing what your heart tells you and study what seems the most interesting. You're choosing a path that will likely steer the rest of your life. That said, there's no reason you can't jump ship and change paths down the road.

I was in very similar shoes 10 years ago (although I hated English and social sciences as subjects). I switched majors several times because I was conflicted about what I wanted to do, my personal interests, my abilities and my self-image.

On a side note: career opportunities for history/english are pretty dismal compared to engineering/computer science. There's a shortage of qualified personnel for technical type positions. And due to government restrictions, some of this type of work will never be outsourced to other countries.

But ultimately, choose whatever will make you happy. Not what will make you money (unless money will make you happy).
The Following User Says Thank You to d3xter404 For This Useful Post:
willinabox (07-26-10)
Old 04-19-10, 02:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Spence's Mom has a spectacular aura aboutSpence's Mom has a spectacular aura about

I was just talking to my son's Behavioral Psychologist about SCT. It is estimated that the SCT will hit the DSM in 2012 at it's next release. My son has been dx'd with this as well as AD/HD-PI..We are treating him with Metadate CD 20 mg. Thinking that we need to tweek it a bit so that he has no crash at the end of the day.

I am off to re read this 20 page thread again....this place is great...like crack for my brain
The Following User Says Thank You to Spence's Mom For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (04-24-10)
Old 04-19-10, 03:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence's Mom View Post
I was just talking to my son's Behavioral Psychologist about SCT. It is estimated that the SCT will hit the DSM in 2012 at it's next release. My son has been dx'd with this as well as AD/HD-PI..We are treating him with Metadate CD 20 mg. Thinking that we need to tweek it a bit so that he has no crash at the end of the day.

I am off to re read this 20 page thread again....this place is great...like crack for my brain

Hi Spence's Mom,

It's always wonderful to read about parents in the forums here really wanting to help their kids. There are parents who don't. All the best with reading through the 21 pages, and hope your son does well!

Also, you may want to look into the medications:
  • Wellbutrin (SR or XL)
  • Concerta
  • Adderall
They seem to be of discussion among those with ADHD-PI. And if you aren't already aware, each medication has its own Forum Topic, with their own set of Threads.

Cheers!
Windsoul
Imnapl (04-24-10)
Old 04-19-10, 03:23 PM
Jr Member

Hi again. I have another question for the people on this thread... are you on any medication to help treat your SCT? Do you feel that your medication had helped you overall or not?
Old 04-24-10, 09:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

markadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nice

Can somebody explain to me the difference between ADHD-PI and SCT or are they the same thing. If not what are some of the differences, I'm alittle confused on this subject and some insight would be great. Thanks
Old 04-24-10, 02:25 PM
Jr Member

Derp is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

me too, I'd like to know the differences.

i've recently been diagnosed with adhd-pi, but i don't have many thoughts in my head that people talk about, i just have bad brain fog, feel tired, unmotivated and switch off very easily etc. Ritalin has helped but i think that it makes me feel a bit wired, then zoned out sometimes if i have a tad too much. pseudo ephedrine seemed to 'snap me out of it' so i'm thinking maybe dex's might be better for me..

sct/add pi... what is the diff...
Old 04-25-10, 03:25 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
me too, I'd like to know the differences.

i've recently been diagnosed with adhd-pi, but i don't have many thoughts in my head that people talk about, i just have bad brain fog, feel tired, unmotivated and switch off very easily etc. Ritalin has helped but i think that it makes me feel a bit wired, then zoned out sometimes if i have a tad too much. pseudo ephedrine seemed to 'snap me out of it' so i'm thinking maybe dex's might be better for me..

sct/add pi... what is the diff...
Derp, I would reccomend watching Dr. Barkley's lecture on youtube about the different subtypes of ADD/ADHD. he talks specifically about SCT about 20-30 minutes into it. He is a well known professor from a university somewhere in california (sorry I don't know his details well, you'll have to look himup yourself) who has done much reasearch on ADD/ADHD. Right now, SCT is considered a subtype of ADD-I, but Dr. Brakley believes it isn't ADD at all. It is a great lecture, and at about 20 min into the lecture he talks about SCT exclusively. His lecture convinced me that if SCT does make it into the next DSMV, that is what I probably would be diagnosed with. Just search "Dr. Barkley SCT" and it should be ine of the first results.

Also...no one has answered my question about medication. Well, except for WillinaBox, no one has. Anyone on a medication to treat you SCT? Is it going well?
Old 04-25-10, 03:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

dm_laugh3r has a spectacular aura aboutdm_laugh3r has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdl58 View Post
I was diagnosed 10 years ago with Inattentive ADHD, and only just recently I discovered that thereís a subtype that more accurately describes me. Iíve read a fair bit about ADHD, however I had never heard of Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sluggish_cognitive_tempo .

Iím wondering if anyone can share with me what you may know about SCT and how itís been approached, treatment wise.
If it walks like a duck and if it quacks like a duck... Guess what? It's a duck. In the wiki, it says people with SCT "appear to be lacking in motivation." Maybe that is because you have no motivation? This sounds like another name for depression. Depression does the same thing and affects memory and learning in the same way.
Old 04-26-10, 08:25 AM
Jr Member

Derp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherADDkid View Post
If it walks like a duck and if it quacks like a duck... Guess what? It's a duck. In the wiki, it says people with SCT "appear to be lacking in motivation." Maybe that is because you have no motivation? This sounds like another name for depression. Depression does the same thing and affects memory and learning in the same way.
So why does drinking coffee, tea and eating chocolate and cold and flu meds make me feel 'with it'? Stimulants.

We've all been depressed. I can't have been depressed my entire life. The docs don't think so either..

I've got a brand new 4 bed house, good job, great car, live near the gold coast in Australia. I'm not depressed. I can't get fully with it unless something really interests me. I'm always late for work, I'm the worst procrastinator I know (the only reason i keep my job is because I'm really good at what i do, when i'm needed... lol)

shamu321, Ritalin helps immensely.. my doc started me on 10mg for breakfast, 10mg at lunch. Any more and I turn into a Zombie, can't function at all. 5mg and 5 is ok, but I seem to crash after 2-3 hours. Like I said pseudo ephedrine 'woke me up' when i had sinus issues last year, Ritalin makes me feel a bit jittery.

People on here are describing dex's to be smoother, I'm quite interested what people think, Ritalin or dex's for add-pi / sct...
Old 04-26-10, 12:38 PM

CultOfByron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherADDkid View Post
Is motivation measured by outside observation or a person's own thoughts? My own experience is that I 'feel' intensely driven to 'do something' but have no direction for that feeling, thus to some I would appear to not have any motivation. Perhaps I am mistaking motivation for something else, just a thought anyway...

I've just realised the etymology of motivation and it's something like: Enabled Movement - so motivation should be measured by a correlation between internal thought processes and their manifestation in motion...?

So what I'm saying is that it's not that there is no motivation, but a poor relationship between the thought and the action. Executive dysfunction