ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 04-26-10, 12:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

dm_laugh3r has a spectacular aura aboutdm_laugh3r has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultOfByron View Post
Is motivation measured by outside observation or a person's own thoughts? My own experience is that I 'feel' intensely driven to 'do something' but have no direction for that feeling, thus to some I would appear to not have any motivation. Perhaps I am mistaking motivation for something else, just a thought anyway...

I've just realised the etymology of motivation and it's something like: Enabled Movement - so motivation should be measured by a correlation between internal thought processes and their manifestation in motion...?

So what I'm saying is that it's not that there is no motivation, but a poor relationship between the thought and the action. Executive dysfunction
Sounds like a typical ADHD trait. You feel motivated to do something but you don't take any direction with the motivation you feel. Why not? Is your mind moving to fast. Do you not think of the steps to fulfill that motivation? Motivation doesn't just make something happen. You have to take steps. Even if they're baby steps.
Old 04-26-10, 01:34 PM

CultOfByron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherADDkid View Post
Sounds like a typical ADHD trait. You feel motivated to do something but you don't take any direction with the motivation you feel. Why not? Is your mind moving to fast. Do you not think of the steps to fulfill that motivation? Motivation doesn't just make something happen. You have to take steps. Even if they're baby steps.
I tend to describe the feeling as a blockage - there are specific instances of stuff I need and want to do - but something prevents me from acting. The song title "Swimming Through Molasses" by Tsunami Bomb is a good description. In general, when I feel driven, it turns to resignation because I feel I 'ought' to be doing something but instead feel frustrated.

I don't know if this sounds similar to other people's experiences?

I fully appreciate the baby steps approach, I've tried an Ultimate To Do list, but it was too damn vague - I'm now on a day-to-day list of simple tasks, kindof a take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves approach
Old 04-29-10, 07:12 PM

eddie49 is on a distinguished road

I think this is what I have. It's not that I don't want to be social, or have casual conversations, it's just that it's damn nearly impossible for me.

I can ask a question or two, or answer something. But after that, there are awkward pauses while I'm trying to think of something to say, but my mind is usually blank. All my conversations just seem kind of forced and fake. But I see people just sitting around talking for what seems like hours, it all just seems to flow naturally to them. I've never been able to do that. It's like my brain is very slow to process thought to speech, or just thought in general.

Actually... I do remember this one time at a party, I was pretty drunk, and one of my friends offered me cocaine. At that point in my life I was a bit liberal with my actions and willing to try things, especially when drunk. Anyway, after snorting it, it changed me, it made me soooo social! I was just able to have casual conversation with anybody. I remember a specific conversation I had with two people, one was a friend at the time, the other one I had just barely met that night. I usually have trouble conversating with my own friends, strangers even more, but that night we just hit it off, I just felt so comfortable around them. Usually I feel like I have to interrupt a conversation to put my two cents in, but that night it all just felt so natural, the transition from one person speaking to the next was seamless. I've never been that effective at conversating before or after that.

I obviously don't recommend anyone to go and do cocaine in hopes of curing SCT but from that experience I learned that obviously it's not impossible to I guess overcome SCT. I'd never get on coke to try and rekindle those types of moments. But it'd be nice if there was a prescription drug available that could have the same effects on whatever it was that cocaine triggered that night that made me that social.

I barely started taking medication for ADHD a few days ago. Right now I'm taking dextroamphetamines for one week, and then I will take methylphenidate to see which one works better.

I did try a dose of methylphenidate, but it didn't really seem to have much effect on me. I was still pretty out of focus, and I think it calmed me down a bit, but I have inattentive ADD, so that doesn't really help.

Dextroamphetamines do help me focus and I've been able to get some schoolwork done, but I feel like it makes me even more antisocial because I'm just tuning out everything around me, and I feel kinda secluded. I don't think it's helped me one bit making conversation.

Man! I don't like SCT, anyone have any success so far against SCT?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to eddie49 For This Useful Post:
willinabox (05-05-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-10, 08:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,902 Times in 4,069 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have SCT, because if I eat anything remotely unhealthy I'm pretty tired and unmotivated but when I eat healthy I don't feel like I have SCT. When I was a kid I wasn't very healthy and I fit all the symptoms for SCT. They do say diet helps with ADHD. So now I'm trying to eat right and not stray from it no matter how tempting junk food may be. I like having energy.
Old 04-30-10, 05:31 AM
Jr Member

Derp is on a distinguished road

You have described my issues exactly. I have been prescribed ritalin, i'm taking 10mg in the morning and 10mg at lunch. Apparently it has almost identical effects to cocaine on the brain, i suggest you take it for a few weeks to get the dose correct, reality has become clear for me, i'm enjoying conversing and socialing, a huge difference in my life. It can make me a tad jittery so i'm contemplating trying the dex to see if they are more suited. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie49 View Post
I think this is what I have. It's not that I don't want to be social, or have casual conversations, it's just that it's damn nearly impossible for me.

I can ask a question or two, or answer something. But after that, there are awkward pauses while I'm trying to think of something to say, but my mind is usually blank. All my conversations just seem kind of forced and fake. But I see people just sitting around talking for what seems like hours, it all just seems to flow naturally to them. I've never been able to do that. It's like my brain is very slow to process thought to speech, or just thought in general.

Actually... I do remember this one time at a party, I was pretty drunk, and one of my friends offered me cocaine. At that point in my life I was a bit liberal with my actions and willing to try things, especially when drunk. Anyway, after snorting it, it changed me, it made me soooo social! I was just able to have casual conversation with anybody. I remember a specific conversation I had with two people, one was a friend at the time, the other one I had just barely met that night. I usually have trouble conversating with my own friends, strangers even more, but that night we just hit it off, I just felt so comfortable around them. Usually I feel like I have to interrupt a conversation to put my two cents in, but that night it all just felt so natural, the transition from one person speaking to the next was seamless. I've never been that effective at conversating before or after that.

I obviously don't recommend anyone to go and do cocaine in hopes of curing SCT but from that experience I learned that obviously it's not impossible to I guess overcome SCT. I'd never get on coke to try and rekindle those types of moments. But it'd be nice if there was a prescription drug available that could have the same effects on whatever it was that cocaine triggered that night that made me that social.

I barely started taking medication for ADHD a few days ago. Right now I'm taking dextroamphetamines for one week, and then I will take methylphenidate to see which one works better.

I did try a dose of methylphenidate, but it didn't really seem to have much effect on me. I was still pretty out of focus, and I think it calmed me down a bit, but I have inattentive ADD, so that doesn't really help.

Dextroamphetamines do help me focus and I've been able to get some schoolwork done, but I feel like it makes me even more antisocial because I'm just tuning out everything around me, and I feel kinda secluded. I don't think it's helped me one bit making conversation.

Old 04-30-10, 06:21 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dude102 has a spectacular aura aboutdude102 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
You have described my issues exactly. I have been prescribed ritalin, i'm taking 10mg in the morning and 10mg at lunch. Apparently it has almost identical effects to cocaine on the brain, i suggest you take it for a few weeks to get the dose correct, reality has become clear for me, i'm enjoying conversing and socialing, a huge difference in my life. It can make me a tad jittery so i'm contemplating trying the dex to see if they are more suited. Good luck
Have you ever experienced thought poverty?

Quote:

hmm interesting. I also have that thought poverty issue that you mentioned. It feels like it takes so much energy to keep up with conversations and think of stuff to say.

Just wondering, how was your memory while on coke? Were you able to remember things you weren't able to in the past?
Old 04-30-10, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude102 View Post

hmm interesting. I also have that thought poverty issue that you mentioned. It feels like it takes so much energy to keep up with conversations and think of stuff to say.

Just wondering, how was your memory while on coke? Were you able to remember things you weren't able to in the past?
Honestly, that was so long ago, I can't really recall all the details. But the thing is, I think it was the combination of both alcohol and coke that made me very social. Because I did try coke another two times a bit later on, and it didn't have the same effect. I felt the numbness and it did make me more alert, but my social skills just weren't up to par as when I combined the coke with alcohol. But I felt really normal that first night, the coke somehow took my drunkness away and I just felt how I believe a normal person feels all the time... smooth, well constructed sentences were coming out of my mouth, trading sentences back and forth, just very natural conversations
Old 04-30-10, 11:35 PM

Is it possible I may just have social anxiety instead of SCT? Along with ADD-I of course.

I really get anxious when I see someone I know, but I don't see too often. My first reaction is to see if I can avoid them if possible. People I see often though, I don't really get as anxious though, just because I guess I kinda expect to see them. And they know I'm pretty quiet, so we don't really get past the casual greeting and maybe like a very small conversation. But when someone wants to engage me into a conversation though, I do start to get a bit anxious.

Is it possible that I have difficulty holding a conversation due to anxiety? Or maybe it is SCT?

Even with relatives and close friends, I've never really been able to have natural, long, deep conversations. It always feels kinda fake and almost like an interview, or they're usually very short conversations.

I'm hoping a socially anxious person can chime in... can you hold a conversation with people you are familiar and comfortable around, like family and close friends? Or do you have trouble talking with everybody? Family, friends, strangers, groups, crowds?
Old 04-30-10, 11:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dude102 has a spectacular aura aboutdude102 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Honestly, that was so long ago, I can't really recall all the details. But the thing is, I think it was the combination of both alcohol and coke that made me very social. Because I did try coke another two times a bit later on, and it didn't have the same effect. I felt the numbness and it did make me more alert, but my social skills just weren't up to par as when I combined the coke with alcohol. But I felt really normal that first night, the coke somehow took my drunkness away and I just felt how I believe a normal person feels all the time... smooth, well constructed sentences were coming out of my mouth, trading sentences back and forth, just very natural conversations
It could've been the alcohol making you think that you were having smooth convos, i dunno, you know how alcohol makes you think you can drive better when you really aren't..
Old 05-01-10, 12:09 AM

Thanked 7,902 Times in 4,069 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It could've been the alcohol making you think that you were having smooth convos, i dunno, you know how alcohol makes you think you can drive better when you really aren't..
I was thinking maybe they thought they did it well but that could have just been the effect of the drug. Usually when I think I'm doing well people think otherwise.
Just my theory.
Old 05-01-10, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I don't think so. Usually even on alcohol, I'm still pretty much anti-social. When and if I do become social on alcohol, I can pretty much tell when I act a fool. That night I only had enough alcohol to get a nice buzz going, so I act pretty normal when just buzzed. I can tell when I'm drunk. I'm never really one to think I'm that I'm not drunk when I am. I pretty know my intentions, either I'm just going for a nice buzz, or f**k it, I'm gonna get wasted. Anyway, when I took the coke, it snapped me out of my buzz and made me very social. I was able to hold a convo with this cute girl that had barely just gotten there, so she was sober, I'm not saying it was a smooth convo like I was casanova putting my moves on her or anything, it was just a nice long chat, which I'm never really capable of having.
Old 05-01-10, 04:04 AM

ADD3r will become famous soon enough

Like a lot of you I have SCT symptoms, actually I have most of these symptoms in a very severe way. I’ve always had problems with quietly daydreaming and feeling tired but the social symptoms I’ve been hearing on this thread feel more anxiety than SCT.

I've always been blessed with some great friends who were usually very popular don’t ask why they liked hanging around me because I don’t have a clue. Anyway I also experienced a lot of awkward moments in social situations. Not always though since I’m kind of a creative guy and I can crack a well placed joke now and then but this is more of a front since I’m usually so shy I have a lot of trouble looking people in the eye when I talk to them.

I’ve watched my own friends in action enough to learn from them and began to learn how to fake it. When I say fake it I don’t mean I’m insincere with people but more like rehashing other peoples lines or using creative stalling techniques.

Let me demonstrate years ago I was at a party and found myself in a conversation with a very beautiful lady who knew my friends. She said Hey I’ve seen you before your that quiet guy who hangs out with Robert and Todd. I almost froze then said "Wait wait a minute I don’t know who you been talking to but I’m not gay as matter of fact I want to ask you out on a date right now". This actually went off very well she laughed pretty hard and gave me her phone number. My buddy Rob had used this line a week earlier when a chick said "I thought you went home". Now I know home and homo is a lot funnier than quiet and gay but it still worked. Sometimes I would use the “wait wait thing are you saying” (repeat back there question here) sometimes I would do this while purposely emphasizing the wrong word. Just to put them on edge thinking they offended me then smile and say I was kidding.

What I’m saying here these are just skills that you will get better at if you practice. Don’t get me wrong once in a while I still say something that’s inappropriate or insensitive because I more consumed in making my point before I forget it, instead of considering who my audience is. I think this is something ADDers are just cursed to do this now and then

Pay attention to people you care about or want to care about lives. If this person mentions she is nervous about seeing her Ex in court or her mother over the holidays. Make it a point to ask them about how it went the next time you talk to them. Ive learned the most meaningful conversations you can have, your actually doing mostly listening. And when I say listening I don’t mean you look like your listening but actually going over possible things you can say next.

Sorry its seems this post turned into a rambling rant I hope it make sense to someone.
kwekkwek (05-01-10), willinabox (05-05-10)
Old 05-05-10, 01:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road

Yeah I definitely do a lot of not listening because I'm thinking about what I want to say next. I think because I have always been slow I want to think of something to say quickly so I don't look stupid.

I also think though that because of my add I'm naturally just not interested in what most people have to say, because I find most people boring lol, so in conversations I have to put on an act. I think because of this I have developed some social anxiety because I sometimes wont say or do things according to how they should be done...

In terms of alcohol, I came up with a theory that when I drink it "stimulates" my normally under-aroused brain, similar to the way a stimulant medication would work. A ADHD coach I used to have proposed it to me, and it makes sense. It truly does make me wan to be social, unfortunately its not exactly healthy nor a long term fix.

I find that stimulant medications work in terms of the focus aspect, but I'm definitely kinda boring on them, and like someone said before, they calm me down, but I dont need to be anymore calm than I am. I'm trying to come up with some dosing that works. I also took wellbutrin for awhile and I think its a really good medication for SCT, I just couldn't drink the the medication, so I will probably go back to it when I graduate from college.

Its great to hear all your comments, they are definitely all making sense to me....good luck
Old 05-05-10, 01:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road

Also, I sent and email to Dr. Barkley regarding treatment for SCT. He is a very knowledgeable Doctor who focuses soley on ADHD. He was the only one I saw mention SCT in his lecture (its on youtube)....This is the email he sent back to me

There is not much new research on treatment of SCT in adults. Just one new paper on behavioral treatment of children with SCT at home and school that is not relevant to your situation. As for possible meds, none other than stimulants have been tried. Some colleagues and I have hypothesized that Strattera might work (it also treats anxiety) or even modafinil (an antinarcoleptic shown to work with ADHD). You can speak with your MD about them but understand there is no research – these are just conjectures from a clinical scientist about where things may be headed in medication management of SCT.

Be well,
Old 05-05-10, 01:36 AM

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,776 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

Quote:
I drink Molson Exel. It's an .5% beverage and I can attest that it speeds up my convos a good half step

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.