ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 05-10-10, 11:25 PM
Jr Member

shamu321 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

I have another question to the people on this thread...do you believe your SCT is within the realm of ADD-I or do you see it as a separate issue? I was wondering, because I've been wondering about this with myself. I was tested for ADD in 2nd grade and was within the ADD spectrum, but the psychologists said I was bright enough to compensate. Since I wasn't severely ADD and not having too many problems in school at the time, my parents decided not to diagnose or medicate me. I was tested for ADD/ADHD again when I was 16, and my results were negative but I had anxiety issues. After finding out about SCT, I realized my symptoms matched very closely with the descriptions online. I have had my IQ tested, and although I scored well above average the parts that measured porcessing speed were average-significantly below average. I am confused though...I didn't think it was possible to grow out of ADD, but apparently I did. I do believe I fit much more closely into SCT than ADD-I. I'm curious whether other people think they are actually ADD, or that their SCT is a separate issue altogether.
The Following User Says Thank You to shamu321 For This Useful Post:
hw83 (05-16-10)
Old 05-11-10, 09:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

Spence's Mom has a spectacular aura aboutSpence's Mom has a spectacular aura about

according to an answer I directly ask Dr. Barkley ....yes, SCT is a separate issue and is likely not treated well with stims and amphets ..it reacts better to intuniv and straterra..if you ALSO have ADHD-I then the stims and amphets work for that. Does that make any sense? YMMV of course
Old 05-11-10, 02:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold

Informative article on ADHD with a section on what is now known as SCT: http://www.greatschools.org/search/contentSearch.page?q=Dr.+Russell+Barkley&type=arti cles click on http://www.greatschools.org/search/contentSearch.page?q=Dr.+Russell+Barkley&type=arti cles and download transcript. SCT section begins on page 5, "Is Inattentive AD/HD Really Another Type of Disorder?"

See also video, "The ADHD Model: How Normal Self-Control Develops" at http://www.caddac.ca/cms/page.php?2 CADDAC Videos in left-hand column, and click "Essential Ideas for Parents," then click "Self-Control and DSM Subtypes." SCT-specific info begins toward the last 3/4 of video.

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

"Spend a day in my head before you tell me what my problem is!"
The Following User Says Thank You to firstdesserts For This Useful Post:
lomipo (05-12-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-10, 08:25 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence's Mom View Post
according to an answer I directly ask Dr. Barkley ....yes, SCT is a separate issue and is likely not treated well with stims and amphets ..it reacts better to intuniv and straterra..if you ALSO have ADHD-I then the stims and amphets work for that. Does that make any sense? YMMV of course
I disagree with Dr. Barkley on this. I have always understood SCT to be a subset of those with ADHD-I and I would definitely fit into that category. I take 140 mg. of Vyvanse and it improves my SCT symptoms considerably. It helps with my working memory, my reading comprehension, processing speed, etc. I can think more clearly and organize my thoughts better and I "get" what someone is saying much more quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDMagnet For This Useful Post:
lomipo (05-12-10)
Old 05-12-10, 09:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold

ADDMagnet,

I sincerely hope Dr. B. is wrong as well. However, I am one of those for whom stimulants (Ritalin, Adderall, Welbutrin too) do not work. They made me feel as though they were helping but did not. I cannot afford to wait another decade or more for researchers to come up with something that helps.

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

The Following User Says Thank You to firstdesserts For This Useful Post:
dy95 (06-22-10)
Old 05-13-10, 09:32 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdesserts View Post
ADDMagnet,

I sincerely hope Dr. B. is wrong as well. However, I am one of those for whom stimulants (Ritalin, Adderall, Welbutrin too) do not work. They made me feel as though they were helping but did not. I cannot afford to wait another decade or more for researchers to come up with something that helps.
Have you tried Straterra?

More research needs to be done on the inattentive ADHD and on adults. They can't just assume that whatever results they found on hyperactive kids translates the same to adults or those with inattentive ADHD. There are still a lot of unanswered questions and untested assumptions.
Old 05-13-10, 09:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

I am going to ask about it when I see my doc again.

Old 05-19-10, 03:29 AM

pop1 is on a distinguished road

Hello, everybody!

I have SCT too.
I barely speak English so..try use quotes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie49 View Post
I think this is what I have. It's not that I don't want to be social, or have casual conversations, it's just that it's damn nearly impossible for me.

I can ask a question or two, or answer something. But after that, there are awkward pauses while I'm trying to think of something to say, but my mind is usually blank. All my conversations just seem kind of forced and fake. But I see people just sitting around talking for what seems like hours, it all just seems to flow naturally to them. I've never been able to do that. It's like my brain is very slow to process thought to speech, or just thought in general.

Actually... I do remember this one time at a party, I was pretty drunk, and one of my friends offered me cocaine. At that point in my life I was a bit liberal with my actions and willing to try things, especially when drunk. Anyway, after snorting it, it changed me, it made me soooo social! I was just able to have casual conversation with anybody. I remember a specific conversation I had with two people, one was a friend at the time, the other one I had just barely met that night. I usually have trouble conversating with my own friends, strangers even more, but that night we just hit it off, I just felt so comfortable around them. Usually I feel like I have to interrupt a conversation to put my two cents in, but that night it all just felt so natural, the transition from one person speaking to the next was seamless. I've never been that effective at conversating before or after that.
this is exactly my case!
AWKWARD PAUSES!!!
don't know what to tell,not only having problem with english but with my native language too((
NO EYE CONTACT!
this is list of my most tipical SCT problems

1.Couldn't comunicate with most people,my conv sound awkward
i understand fast inaft but not able to respond right, construct sentenses too slow( often happen I find right respond 1 hour later or a day later.
Personal conversation with 1 person without attention much easier than group
so I gonna try ecstasy anybody have expirience?

2. Daydreaming, distracting yes it is big problem and for me it definetly genetic and every generation from my grandfather to me it's getting worst
so it's degeneration
also i'm lose stuff,forget stuff, come back at house 3-4 times before I finaly leave.. always late
3. Slow cognitive speed
impaired in the capacity for learning new skills;
Knowledge often limited to trivia (�headline intelligence�); forgetful of details, especially names,DATES,NUMBERS;
this was quote.
4.Problem with calculating I like to study math- but make careless mistakes,
5. Huuuge problem to get up in a morning aaah!
i'm not able to do it on regular basis so I found evening job
6. I'm 25 and never had girlfriend, because most girls consider me like
immature odd person and unfortunatly it's very true(

I am also have:
schizoid personality traits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoi...ality_disorder
Shy narcissist personality - http://www1.appstate.edu/~hillrw/Nar...omparison.html
Autogynephillia

afterall I am still able to take care of myself because my SCT case is not too severe
only thing that realy helps me is meditation,concentration,focus training
i try to do it phisycal like religious fanantic very close to praying state
(moving my head back and forth like autist)without it my mind just crawl away
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pop1 For This Useful Post:
BADDID (01-13-13), naninni (05-20-10), Sirrah (05-19-10)
Old 05-20-10, 05:35 PM

naninni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop1 View Post
Hello, everybody!

I have SCT too.
I barely speak English so..try use quotes..

this is exactly my case!
AWKWARD PAUSES!!!
don't know what to tell,not only having problem with english but with my native language too((
NO EYE CONTACT!
this is list of my most tipical SCT problems

1.Couldn't comunicate with most people,my conv sound awkward
i understand fast inaft but not able to respond right, construct sentenses too slow( often happen I find right respond 1 hour later or a day later.
Personal conversation with 1 person without attention much easier than group
so I gonna try ecstasy anybody have expirience?

2. Daydreaming, distracting yes it is big problem and for me it definetly genetic and every generation from my grandfather to me it's getting worst
so it's degeneration
also i'm lose stuff,forget stuff, come back at house 3-4 times before I finaly leave.. always late
3. Slow cognitive speed
impaired in the capacity for learning new skills;
Knowledge often limited to trivia (�headline intelligence�); forgetful of details, especially names,DATES,NUMBERS;
this was quote.
4.Problem with calculating I like to study math- but make careless mistakes,
5. Huuuge problem to get up in a morning aaah!
i'm not able to do it on regular basis so I found evening job
6. I'm 25 and never had girlfriend, because most girls consider me like
immature odd person and unfortunatly it's very true(

I am also have:
schizoid personality traits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoi...ality_disorder
Shy narcissist personality - http://www1.appstate.edu/~hillrw/Narcissism/arrogantshycomparison.html
Autogynephillia

afterall I am still able to take care of myself because my SCT case is not too severe
only thing that realy helps me is meditation,concentration,focus training
i try to do it phisycal like religious fanantic very close to praying state
(moving my head back and forth like autist)without it my mind just crawl away
Even i have exact problems like you both have. In some of our team parties i have spent the whole 4 or 5 hours just like a bystander, listening to others conversations or just answering the questions others ask.
Old 06-22-10, 09:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

dy95 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdesserts View Post
ADDMagnet,

WOW! Finding this thread has got me questioning everything my doctors have told me (assumed) for the past three years! I was diagnosed with ADHD Innattentive. I've tried Adderall, Nuvigil, Ritalin and concerta. The ritalin and concerta turned me into an empty-headed, emotionless zombie. As for the Addy and nuvigil, the first three days were great! Plenty of energy and motivation. But later in the day, when they wore off, it felt like the "Creeping Death"! Anxiety and his cousin Depression paid me a visit. They brought some friends with them, too. Mr Shortness of Breath, Mr Extreme Fatigue and General Lack of Interest.

While my attention span was not nearly long enough to read every bit of info in this thread, "SCT" sounds more descriptive of the way i feel. I pray daily that i will soon discover the inner workings of my complex psyche. Thanks for listening! And thanks to all for this new insight!

Don

Last edited by dy95; 06-22-10 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Added comment
The Following User Says Thank You to dy95 For This Useful Post:
Sirrah (06-23-10)
Old 06-23-10, 02:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,906 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop1 View Post
Huuuge problem to get up in a morning aaah!
Tell me about it.

I think when I was younger I had SCT and overtime I learned to deal with it. Now I just have ADHD-I. But yeah, getting up in the morning feels like the hardest thing to do.
Old 06-23-10, 05:43 PM
Jr Member

sameer.h is on a distinguished road

I am ADD -I or SCT

Thanks to everyone who has participated on this thread. Together, as we share honest information, we can overcome anything. So far what I have learnt that will help me is:

1. Aerobic exercise
2. Fresh food (low sugar)
3. Amphetamine
4. Social skills training
5. Working memory training (I believe in neuroplasticity - the brain can allocate more power to working memory if trained)

I am taking Wellbutrin now (150mg) and L-Theanine (150mg) Omega 3, Magnesium Citrate, Vit C and B complex

This is working well as long as I can force myself to get up early at the same time in the morning, pop my pills and do some aerobic exercise.

However I am no where near my full potential and can just about keep a job and organise my life.

I'm looking forward to trying Dexedrine or Adderal.

Captain Obvious...WHERE ARE YOU? You were onto something with the Namenda (NMDA antagonist)

Thanks everyone
Old 07-17-10, 07:58 PM

avispartan117 is on a distinguished road

Hullo everyone im quite new here, and SCT describes me spot-on.

When I was in elementary school, my biggest problem was with the Mad Minute, which was one full minute of 60 speed math problems. Every time I did it, my brain would freeze up and I would not be able to think, and it was very embarassing when I failed every time. To this day I have problems with mental calculations, reading new sheet music, and reading for detail.

Now I need a head count: For how many people here has medication helped with their SCT symptoms? what meds were they?
Old 11-09-10, 11:55 PM

grumblyintumbly is on a distinguished road

I was surprised to find out how old this thread is- 2003? I must've been 12 years old then! While the thread isn't ancient by any means, I'm just shocked I hadn't come across this "SCT" business before, what with all my constant research.

Anyway, I was brought to this forum today after a quick google search on "sluggish cognitive tempo." I found out the existence of this term from wikipedia.com (I know it's not the most reliable and scholarly but I adore that site for quick lookups on whatever.) If you were to look at my bookmarks, you'd see "non sequitur," "absent-mindedness," "imagination," and "daydreaming."

I'm excited SCT is being looked into or at least acknowledged by others because I've never seen a diagnostic framework that matches me so perfectly!
Old 11-10-10, 12:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,932 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Day three of turning our clocks back and I definitely have symptoms of SCT.

Phaedrus

The Following User Says Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-10-10)