ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 11-03-07, 12:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,015 Times in 638 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Slow Processing Speed

I have no idea what it means. Ive read the DSM and various neuropsychology and LD textbooks thru [more than a few times], and truly have no idea what this SCT thing is.

I tend to think "SCT" is a made up term.

It might be something translated from another language, meaning: "slow processing speed" ?
Old 11-05-07, 03:44 PM
Jr Member

Echo5Tango is on a distinguished road
Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

QueensU, I do not quite understand your post. Are you questioning if "Sluggish Cognative Tempo" actually exists? ADD-SCT is currently a provisional diagnosis that is under debate and review for the next edition of the DSM. However, a quick search on Google brings up over twenty thousand hits, most pointing to articles published in medical journals on the subject. For a quick summary, you can see the Wikipedia article on Sluggish Cognative Tempo at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sluggish_cognitive_tempo with another excellant summary found at this location http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...32/ai_n6234463<http: findarticles.com="" p="" articles="" mi_m0902="" is_5_32="" ai_n6234463=""></http:>
If you are need of a book, Dr. Russell Barkely's "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: A Handbook for Diagnosis and Treatment" includes some information on this sub-type.

Regarding my own experience, I've recently switched to Adderall from Concerta, and am at a dosage comparable to what I was at with Concerta. I find that Adderall seems to take slightly longer to kick in, but so far provides a similar level of benefit, as far as not feeling sleepy through out the day, less forgetful, more able to stay on task, and more cognizant of time. However, I do not feel that I am getting the maximum benefit I could, and still struggle with intiating tasks, dealing with boredom, and motivation. At the suggestion of my psychiatrist, I am also taking Nordic Natural's Ultimate Omega-3 suppliment at three 1000mg capsules in the morning with breakfast, which I believe has offered some additional help with the depressive-like symptoms associated with ADD-SCT. However, while I am cautiously encouraged by this, I still am of the belief that some practical interventions and skill building are needed.

I found Luthien's experience to be very similar to mine, as far as the ability to deal with abstract concepts and be considered quick in some respects, yet have the difficulty with math and slowness. I think this may be a cultural bias in that was tend to equate speed of thought with intelligence, while forgetting that many who were known in the past as very intelligent, were not always the fastest. Einstein is the example that many will point to, with the exceptionally long time it took him to speak, and his own struggles (including being labeled "slow") in his elemenatry-education years, yet his creativity and brilliance with abstract concepts was exceptional.

My own experience has me wonder if perhaps those in this SCT subtype while intellectually as capable as those with out this issue, find it harder to evaluate some information as quickly, and develop from it appropriate expectations. The fact that SCT is seen as a developmental issue, i.e., it takes these people more time, but they do get there, seems to go hand in hand with this.

Last edited by ajterreault; 11-05-07 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Entered link address incorrectly.
Old 11-05-07, 04:03 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough

I personally would not ever rely on Wiki as any kind of definitive "expert source"...the contributions are made by whomever wishes to contribute.

Difficulties with mathematics, and processing the written word can often be expplained by LDs. Nothing about the ADHD DX, no matter what type or whatever you wish to call it, rules out a LD. Certainly muddies up this particular puddle of water, IMHO of course.

Last edited by Andrew; 11-10-07 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Edited for content
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-07, 04:51 PM
Jr Member

This is somewhat off topic but this seriously has me perplexed. Perhaps it is my "slow processing speed" but I find the responses regarding Wikipedia confusing. While I do agree with the idea that relying on Wikipedia for "authorative content" would be a fallacy considering how it operates, refering to it in a discussion board as providing a helpful summary seems to me to be an appropriate use. If Wikipedia cannot be used for such a purpose, then what value does it have at all?

ADHD/ADD is not something you self-diagnose. What information can be found online, in books and magazines and in other media is information a patient can discuss with their doctor, and hopefully helps provide avenues of effective treatment. Science and Medicine are not disiplines that are static and unchanging. New ideas, infomation and tools are constantly being developed and researched. Any educated consumer is served by gathering what information can be found and critically examining that information. More than once, a patient has become aware of some new treatment or new procedure their doctor was not aware of. Most practioners I know of, welcome having these things brought to their attention, and discussing if what was found would be helpful to the patient.

Regarding those who have never heard of Sluggish Cognative Tempo. Obviously, you now have. Perhaps I'm being over-literal, but are you trying to imply that if you haven't heard of it before it must not exist? Therefore every possible illness or disorder that Medicine will address has already been discovered and defined? If Sluggish Cognative Tempo does not seem to apply to you, okay, good for you. Do you lose out if those of us it does seem to apply to discuss it?

I am seriously baffled by how the idea that there may be a distinctive subtype of ADHD-I seems to arrouse a religous passion over whether it is or is not a proper diagnosis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Echo5Tango For This Useful Post:
dresser (01-15-13), JDog (10-31-10)
Old 11-10-07, 06:52 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,041 Times in 577 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

This is a support forum, and everyone is encouraged to be mindful of the guidelines when responding to threads.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 11-11-07, 09:01 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,344 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
While I do agree with the idea that relying on Wikipedia for "authorative content" would be a fallacy considering how it operates, refering to it in a discussion board as providing a helpful summary seems to me to be an appropriate use. If Wikipedia cannot be used for such a purpose, then what value does it have at all?

I think that there may be a difference in perception here.

I believe the reference to Wikipedia was used by echo5tango as a source to explain what SCT is for those who do not know - however the response from CF that Wikipedia was not a authoritative resource in psychiatric conditions was made so that readers would see the Wikipedia in the proper light {informative perhaps but not authoritative}.

I do know even in debate communities using Wikipedia is considered a poor source to back up ones presentation because of the nature of the contributions.

OKay next point is:

My questions tp the seperate condition supporters are if inattenve ADD is really a seperate condition:

1)Why would hyperactive ADD traits be replaced by inattentive traits as a person ages

2)Why would the same medication and treatments used for hyperactive and combined ADDers also work for inattentive ADDers as well.

3)Why don't the medication non-responders fall exclusive into the inattentive sub-type as opposed to following the population trend - meaning that most medication non-responder are combined simply because most ADDers are combined - inattentive some time do not respond but the number correlate with the percentage of the ADD population the represent

4)To what benefit is changing the name from ADD-PI to SCT-> Really does it make a difference seeing the conditions respond to the same treatments.

Quote:
I am seriously baffled by how the idea that there may be a distinctive subtype of ADHD-I seems to arouse a religious passion over whether it is or is not a proper diagnosis.

First of all religion is a banned topic so I can't touch it {this is meant to be funny}

Second of all SCT isn't a proper diagnosis as of this writing { this isn't}

answer your question as to why this SCT idea arouses such a passionate response - seriously there are several possibilities

First reason the SCT raises such passions in those who are not inattentive - because you are basically saying to the rest of us who are not inattentive " We are different from you so you can't be part of our little group, because only "people with purple eyes" belong to this group"

Second reason - reality I see the entire SCT issue as adding confusion to a subject that is murky enough as it is - personally I am looking to simplify not create more confusion.

The third reason will be addressing why some of the respondents are inattentive themselves.

If you will step back for a moment with me in the objective realm - using only the English language as a reference point what are you really saying when you say "SCT is a separate condition" You are saying " we aren't ADD at all"

Some with the inattentive ADD diagnosis do not wish to be separated from the ADD community they now call home - they finally found a place where they belong and frankly those who purpose that inattentive become a separate condition are threating to yank that away from them - which btw would engender strong emotions in those who have searched a life time for a place to belong thus the reason behind the "religious passions"

{so the reasons are really very obvious on many levels okay they are for me - well so much for hyperactive ADDers being unable to have insight -shrug}

I do hope my post helps answer as many question as it generates-

Last edited by meadd823; 11-11-07 at 09:13 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Eilert (01-01-12), kpinvt (11-14-12), namazu (12-22-09)
Old 11-11-07, 01:32 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

From what I understood with the articles I read they seemed to suggest that Sluggish Cognitive Tempo was ADHD-I, but I really don't read everything and I am most likely repeating meadd823's post but I figured I would constructively add something since I thought I did already, even though I had to google it because I had never heard of it.
Old 11-11-07, 03:56 PM
Jr Member

<!-- ================================================== ===== --><!-- Created by AbiWord, a free, Open Source wordprocessor. --><!-- For more information visit http://www.abisource.com. --><!-- ================================================== ===== -->
An interesting response meadd823...

The way you frame the Wikipedia usage does make sense and serves to make the thrust of Crazy~Feet's response much clearer to me. Perhaps it makes even more sense as I had not viewed this as a "debate" forum, but a "support" forum.

I have little interest in arguing if ADHD or ADD exists, nor the respective validity of the subtypes and differentiations (I believe Dr. Amen argues there are six different types of ADHD/ADD). My interest lies solely on what works in helping those with ADD-SCT, a framework that I have found fits for me, and my practitioner agrees with. However, to answer the explicit and implied questions...

Regarding whether or not ADD-SCT is a "separate" condition. First, let me quote some one well known on this forum and who has an acknowledged level of expertise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashTheHound
Not again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashTheHound

This keeps coming up. There is a common misperception that all ADHD Inattentive people have this Sluggish Cognitive Tempo or SCT.

The truth is, only some inattentives fall into this SCT group (maybe 30%-50%) and it may or may not be a separate disorder (depending on which research papers you read)

Also, the way to distinguish SCT from plain ADHD inattentive isn't well defined yet.

In other words, as currently defined, some one with ADD-SCT fits under the ADHD-I subtype, but not every one that has ADHD-I would be ADD-SCT. The research that I have found since Unleashed made the statement above back in 2005 has gone farther to hone and define the symptomatology of ADD-SCT, but over all, the thrust that SCT is subset of ADHD-I and does not fit all of those with ADHD-I remains constant.

So are we then are we "ADD at all?"

Well, I guess that comes down too how wide is the umbrella? My understanding is that one of Russell Barkley's more controversial assertions is that ADHD and ADD are in-fact subtypes of what have been labeled "Executive Function Disorders" and which may include Aspergers, Autism, Bipolar, and OCD. All of which have overlaps and similarities in symptomatology and impact. So, if what label is on your medical chart is important to you, then perhaps this opens up for the choice to either see this as an expanded family, with variations and differing aspects, but still under one big tent, or you (and this is a general you, not any one in specific) can look for what makes you different from others and try to fit in with an exclusive little tribe that requires everyone to conform to one specific title.

I would find it troubling if we have made ADHD/ADD into an identity, where we only want to talk to those who have it, or only allow them to be part of the group. ADHD/ADD is a diagnosis, that is, a definition of difficulties and problems that need to be addressed. It is not a group nor a person. It confers no special status, nor does it bestow some exclusivity to any of us. I have seen people on this forum refer to "us Hyperactives" as if we all shared that in common. Those with SCT to battle would probably find that phrasing exclusionary, as they are hypoactive and could only wish for the energy those who experience hyperactivity try to focus, control and contain. To pound the point home, while we may share some characteristics, and have some things in common, there are many differences. We take different meds, we use different compensations, and adjust as individuals to how this disorder affects us as individuals. There is not one drug that works for all, there is not one intervention or compensation that works for all. We are all not the same.

Acknowledging ADD-SCT may fit some does not diminish the ADHD community, but does allow for the differences that individuals experience to be accepted and acknowledged. We all do not have to be the same in order to get along, share, and support one another, accept and understand that what applies and works for one, may not apply and work for all. To be blunt, if the ADHD community is so insecure that it is threatened by the idea a very small percentage of those labeled ADHD-I may have a slightly different disorder, then that speaks to their issues, and not the validity of ADD-SCT.

In none of the reading I have done since coming across ADHD or ADD-SCT have I ever found anything that says "this disorder is completely unlike anything ever seen before in the history of mankind". Indeed, what I see often are articles, such as "Sluggish Cognitive Tempo Predicts a Different Pattern of Impairment in the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive Type" that compare and contrast ADHD and ADD-SCT, and state where they have similarities and differences. If we want to set up ADHD and ADD cliques, then I would guess articles such as that could be seen as a way to divide people up. I think most researchers would vomit at finding such a use for their work, as they are more likely interested in what is going to help people have better lives.

The question is not "does the ADHD community lose out if ADD-SCT is found to be a distinct disorder?" but, "what information can be shared and found helpful for both?" That does not require that we all be alike. Nor does it mean that any of us should limit where we look for answers to only what is provided by neurology and psychiatry, or even be content with what is in the DSM-IV-R. One of the positive characteristics noted among those with ADHD is a wide range of interests, and being able to look for ideas and similarities in dissimilar information is a strength to be used for our benefit. Others do. Indeed, one of the most active ideas in psychology right now deals with the ideas of "mindfulness" which has its roots in Zen Buddhism, a tradition centuries old. As I pointed out in an early post, some of symptoms that heavy crystal meth users describe are very similar to the SCT framework, and there are several interventions being tried to deal with those issues, including giving those people Addreall. It seems foolish to me to say, well, they are crystal meth addicts and therefore it is of no help. What makes more sense is to say, do they have a similar problem, is what is tried helpful, and can I do something similar? Something that may help some one with hyperactivity, may not help some one dealing with hypoactivity, but something that deals with disorganization may help both.

Regarding how ADD-SCT differs from ADHD, that already has been addressed by scruo's posts at the start of this thread, the Wikipedia summary, and Adele Diamond's article that scruo quoted, and over a hundred articles you can find by looking for "Sluggish Cognitive Tempo" on Google Scholar or PubMed. That those with SCT respond to drugs differently, seem to benefit from different interventions as children, and exhibit differing issues, in my opinion, cannot be made more clear. Whether or not any one makes an individual choice to accept the findings of this research is a matter for that person alone. None of these things make any one with ADD-SCT "better" than some one struggling with ADHD, nor do they mean the similarities both share are any less valid. No one has to lose out by refining what differing individuals struggle with. It comes down to how accepting and supporting a community choses to be. How supportive of those who find the ADD-SCT framework helpful this forum will be is up to its members and administration.

As far as the changes those with ADHD experience in symptoms undergo as they get older, that is beyond what I can address. Indeed, that seems to be something that would require research into developmental neurology. Frankly, it seems only tangentially related to ADD-SCT, as those who are dealing with SCT as adults do not seem to indicate they have experienced much in the way of change in symptoms from childhood to adulthood. By accident, meadd823, you seem to have inadvertently pointed out another difference between these types. How does it feel to have added fuel to the fire?

Again, I actually have little interest in a debate on if SCT exists or not. As I said in one of my earlier posts, it fits me. While this thread has been moved over to "Diagnosis" from the Adult area, I would like to see it return to the original theme that ericdl58 opened it up with back in 2003, and which I also asked in my first post. What have those who have SCT found helpful in treatment? Honestly, to me, that is really all that matters.

Last edited by Echo5Tango; 11-11-07 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: correct ANOTHER formatting and spelling error. So much for spell check..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Echo5Tango For This Useful Post:
ADifferentDrum (02-14-13), ajmit3 (04-09-14), Jshect (12-23-11), kpinvt (11-14-12), PeteM62 (12-18-09)
Old 11-12-07, 03:36 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,344 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The way you frame the Wikipedia usage does make sense and serves to make the thrust of Crazy~Feet's response much clearer to me. Perhaps it makes even more sense as I had not viewed this as a "debate" forum, but a "support" forum.
Perhaps it is the meaning of debate you misunderstand - I find this to be very common. You are presently engaged in a debate on a support forum. Debates occur here on a regular basis.

Debating is simply a civilized rational way of presenting two opposing opinions. Debating requires intellect, sound reasoning, and the ability to be persuasive - debating is NOT arguing however it is disagreeing but in a civilized respectful manner.

Quote:
"us Hyperactives"
I often use this phrase to show which sub-type I fall into while acknowledging that not all with in the ADD population will experience {what ever} - "us hyperactives" isn't presented as being separate or removed from the ADD population but it is acknowledging that some individuals with ADD are NOT hyperactive. For me as a person it is an attempt at brevity as some of my post can be um ur lengthy.

Quote:
To pound the point home, while we may share some characteristics, and have some things in common, there are many differences. We take different meds, we use different compensations, and adjust as individuals to how this disorder affects us as individuals. There is not one drug that works for all, there is not one intervention or compensation that works for all. We are all not the same.

"We" meaning the entire ADD population or we as in SCT sub-type, or is it both - sorry I read solely in context, individual words have no meaning for me so I may have to ask for clarifications that may seem obvious to many other readers. I shall pick the meaning I think you mean {oh boy}

We are all individuals of this I agree - no two hyperactive ADDers are exactly alike any more than two inattentive or combined ADDers of this I agree. However we all have BA = boredom aversion - we simply can not apply our selves to the unstimulating mundane boring to the point of mental/physical death by merely "willing" our selves to - while inattentive ADDers are often accused of being lazy hyperactive ADDers and often seen as being rebellious while both are often accused of being "uncaring" / "unwilling / uncooperative/ self centered/ ect. . . .which can set up an entire unpleasant chain of events.

Quote:
To be blunt, if the ADHD community is so insecure that it is threatened by the idea a very small percentage of those labeled ADHD-I may have a slightly different disorder, then that speaks to their issues, and not the validity of ADD-SCT.
Please do remember

The ADD community is made up of individuals who are reacting according to their individual feelings and experience - I presented several reasons in response to your question that is all I did.

You stated the point very well {and concise too} IN my experience the lack of clarity as to weather or not SCT is a part of the ADD population is the one of the things that baffles most and causes the great amount of "debates" and emotional reactions about this subject of SCT.

Quote:
are we then are we "ADD at all?"

Well, I guess that comes down too how wide is the umbrella?
Yes enquiring minds want to know how big if the umbrella any way?

My point is the SCT boundaries are ill defined at best - which only serves to confuse the ADD condition.

Quote:
I think most researchers would vomit at finding such a use for their work, as they are more likely interested in what is going to help people have better lives.
I think most researchers would be ambivalent - their jobs are all about identifying differences with in groups however even they can create a lot of controversies with in the general population if their findings are not presented correctly and in a tactful manner {Barkely is guilty of presenting things in a tactless manner IMHO} -

Responses are a reaction not only to what you say but how you say it - as a dyslexic I know this all too well.

Quote:
It comes down to how accepting and supporting a community choses to be. How supportive of those who find the ADD-SCT framework helpful this forum will be is up to its members and administration.
The administration does it's best to provide a free thinking forum where each member {even ADDF members who happen to also be staff members} is entitled to their own personal opinion and feelings as long as that opinion is communicated with respect to other members. This is why debates are allowed however flaming is not.

One of the largest supplies of information can be found in a debate done right - as two opposing opinions are presented in a civilized manner each carrying their own line of reasoning and often coming complete with documentation and sources.

Quote:
As far as the changes those with ADHD experience in symptoms undergo as they get older, that is beyond what I can address. Indeed, that seems to be something that would require research into developmental neurology. Frankly, it seems only tangentially related to ADD-SCT, as those who are dealing with SCT as adults do not seem to indicate they have experienced much in the way of change in symptoms from childhood to adulthood. By accident, meadd823, you seem to have inadvertently pointed out another difference between these types. How does it feel to have added fuel to the fire?
No you said it right the first time = there is not enough research to address this question at present time. Besides NOT ALL ADDers symptoms change from childhood to adult hood only the difficulties they cause - remember my comment was about hyperactive ADDers having their hyperactive traits turn into inattentive traits My example wasn't about the entire ADD population - many with the combined subtype do not experience any changes in their ADD either - besides changes only seem to affect hyperactive traits and those changes occur most in those of us who have hyperactive impulsive symptoms apart from which sub-type we fall into - don't forget many with the combined ADD type have hyperactive traits while other combined ADDers do not.

Oh yea NOT being able to answer my question does not constitute "making a point" nor does turning around the evidence {I will admit it is a nice maneuver though- it might work except I have used it too often myself}

According to your sources some of the inattentive would fall into the SCT category while others would not - what evidence is their that this is a separate condition in itself apart from simply having a secondary condition in addition to ADD? Bi-polar combined with ADD can drastically change the appearance of ADD even though bi-polar and ADD are two separate conditions.

The amount of difference between some one who qualifies for SCT and some one who does not can be one impulsive trait?????? Also SCTers I have read on this thread take the same schedule two narcotics the rest of the ADD population does????? SCTers take these medications so they can focus {just like I do} while claiming not to have ADD???? This equals the late great wtf????? Your own discussions and exchanges create the doubts and questions. Different symptoms are not causing any heated exchanges I believe it is attitudes about those differences that ignites the bad memories and creates conflicts - I am not pointing fingers I am saying before "pounding in a point" intentions may want to be checked at the door - remember I came on this thread only to answer a question you had and try to clear up a misunderstanding because I could see both sides - I asked a few questions of my own - I believe I had four maybe five - and the reaction is????? {point pounding?}

Now to close the meadd823 way -

Bottom line - To date there is not enough scientific evidence to indicate SCT to be a separate diagnosis unto itself apart from ADD-PI,{sources provided upon request - persently I have a baby kitten I have to go feed - he is screaming starvation} I do understand research is still being done. Although some "experts" maybe pushing for SCT to be included in the next issue of the DSMV at present SCT like Dr. Amen's six ADD subtypes is not recognized as a "proper diagnosis" In reality that is the only fact I need to make my point valid.

Have a good day - now to go feed Mr Starvation. . . . . . .

Old 11-12-07, 03:55 AM

QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

re WIKIPEDIA

Wikipedia is NOT an authoritative source.

Recently, the entry for George Bush was hacked to describe him as a "Muppet in a monkey suit".

Funny, perhaps, but it just shows how people with biases or non-authoritative information can 'hack' the site.

Upon searching, I do not find "real" scientific journal titles (psychology, neurscience, psychiatry) describing this term as a real current diagnosis.

Sorry.

Go search MEDLINEplus yourself, I guess. (I pulled "0" entries.)
Old 11-12-07, 03:57 AM

NeuroPsych TESTING

Have you had testing? (These results may uncover the mystery of this SCT thing.)

I'm betting my money on it being a sleep/wake/arousal (raphe nucleus? ARAS?) problem or an EF deficit or a 'processing disorder'.

Last edited by QueensU_girl; 11-12-07 at 04:09 AM..
Old 11-12-07, 01:15 PM
Jr Member

In at least three different posts on this thread, I have stated clearly that my interest in this forum and thread is for those who find the SCT framework to fit them, what have they found helpful as far as treatment? I have also stated, I think very clearly, that I am not interested in a debate over if SCT exists or not.

I have provided links, most of which had already been sited by others on this thread, (see the very first five posts on page one of this thread), which describe what SCT is, and provide some of the research on it.

It is very easy to find a great deal of research on Sluggish Cognitive Tempo. Google Scholar lists over five hundred articles, and the National Institute of Health's PubMed directly sites fifteen. Never mind the over twenty thousand links Google has listed, or other articles on Blackwell and other search engines. But I am not here to get into a link and citation war either. If SCT interests you, you know where to look. If it doesn't, don't waste your time.

There are specific sub-forums on this board devoted to arguing and debating over the research and definiton of disorders, including SCT. I've looked at them, they don't fit my need, so they are not where I post.

I am not here to argue over how useful or not Wikiepedia is, define the word "We" so that it clearly includes all, or speculate on what enlightenment the future of neurology will provide.

Once again - I am here to find out what works for those with SCT. If you look at the very first post on this thread, that is what the orginal theme was, and what I asked about in my very first post.

No where on this board, I have found a single person who identified with ADD-SCT saying anything disparging or derogatory about any one who does NOT have ADD-SCT, or attacking the validity of the ADHD issues. Nor has any one who states they have ADD-SCT expressed relief that they some how are not "ADHD". Indeed, they are looking for information on an ADHD/ADD board.

No one has critizied those with ADHD-Hyperactive, for having their own little group. No one has complained that those with ADHD-Combined are throwing an exclusive party. Yet, for the very few looking to get more information on Sluggish Cognitive Tempo, there is an immediate and what I find to be rather hostile, response.

The only ones who have expressed any hostility or anxiety over the SCT definition are those for whom it does not fit.

Again, as Unleashed, and others have stated, and any review of the research papers you can pull up will confirm. ADD-SCT represents at most 30 to 50 percent of those with ADHD-I. Not every one that is ADHD-I is ADD-SCT. The defintions are not equivalant. It is disingenuous at this point for any one to use them as synonyms.

To me, there is no "mystery" about SCT, other than what helps with treatment of it. It has a very clear and much more thorough definition than most of the current definitions found the DSM. My practioner who has one of several articles, research papers, and letters to academic journals he has published quoted directly in a different thread, agrees.

I have clearly stated in an earlier post that ADD-SCT is a provisional diagnosis not yet officially adopted. That does not mean it is any less valid, or that seeking information about it hurts me or any one else. Again, as I have stated previously, you do not self-diagnose ADHD, it is something that is done by a doctor in concert with the patient.

I have presented my point of view on why I find it absurd for any one to be threatened or upset that a small group of users here would be seeking information and support about ADD-SCT. Looking for what works and what support can be gained does not diminish the ADHD/ADD community at all, and may even help those with a differing diagnosis.

If some one has information on what is helpful for those with SCT, I will be interested to see what you share here. A scientific debate on some other topic I MAY engage in on a different thread if it is of interest to me. I feel no obligation to post, reply or participate in each and every discussion here, or questions not related to what I am trying to find out.

If you are interested in providing information, support and assistance, I look forward to what you have to share. That's what I came here for.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Echo5Tango For This Useful Post:
bradd (09-26-09), dresser (01-15-13), JDog (10-31-10), Jshect (12-23-11), Schroeder (05-28-09)
Old 11-12-07, 01:55 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough

**MODERATOR NOTE**

The categories provided herein are for organizational purposes only. Any topic in the open forums is subject to replies from any member at all, and as such, different opinions can and will be represented. Members who dislike the general tone of a thread may make the choice to withdraw or continue as they see fit and feel comfortable doing so. This includes such things as men posting in the women's areas, and vice versa, and supporters and detractors of a given subject.

In a place the provides information , any and all information is welcomed. Persons who dislike the open forum policies are encouraged to apply to the private forums provided by contacting the moderator in charge for the password.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. Carry on.

**END MODERATOR NOTE**

The Following User Says Thank You to Crazy~Feet For This Useful Post:
bradd (09-26-09)
Old 11-14-07, 01:39 PM

jrwhitley is on a distinguished road

Just heard Dr. Barkley talk about it yesterday at an LD/ADHD forum. They are still in process of researching and not much info yet. The wikipedia info is about all that was listed in the notes for the Western North Carolina Symposium's keynote speaker, Dr. Barkley himself.
Old 11-18-07, 12:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

Stabby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Reading and language deficits and problems with mental mathematical calculations are more commonly comorbid with ADD than with ADHD.
Can someone explain to me what is meant by reading deficits? I can read outloud very fast and clear, but understanding what I'm reading at the same time is an entirely different thing. I can read extremely fast, but I usually drift off, not knowing what the text was about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stabby For This Useful Post:
dresser (01-15-13), Schroeder (05-28-09)