ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 02-28-08, 10:08 PM

Captain Obvious has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Obvious has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

I DO have a theory about this, though.

All you ADHD-inattentives, how often are you truly "stressed out"?

I am almost NEVER stressed out. My teacher could tell me to write a novel by next week worth 95% of my grade and I would not stress out about it at all. I probably wouldn't even think about it till the night before it's due. Not because I didn't care, and I would fully intend to do it. But neither the quickly approaching due date nor the importance of the assignment would be enough motivation to start.

Also, how many of you have trouble with your weight, or have had trouble when not consistently taking meds?

I personally don't have that problem with or without meds, but I'm curious as to others. If my theory is correct, there shouldn't be many...

I think it has something to do with cortisol. It's a horomone released in times of stress. It kind of goes hand-in-hand with adrenaline. Adrenaline is for fear/fight-or-flight response. Cortisol is released when the stress is more long term.

It's been shown that many people with certain types of depression, contrary to what you might think, have low levels of cortisol. These same people are the depressive types who lie in bed and don't engage in many activities.

I think cortisol, rather than being the "stress" horomone, is actually the "activity" horomone and I have a hunch that we, like the low-activity depressives, have a deficiency of it.

What do ya'll think? Anyone seen any studies about this?
Old 02-29-08, 04:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
This is why you never give ADHD meds to someone who is bi-polar or OCD... I think you can guess the results for yourself.
Hallowell mentions that too, indeed.

Quote:
Screw that attention "deficit" or "variability" junk. It just appears that way to an observer when, in fact, it's the opposite.
It may be a matter of perspective.
- deficit: is obvious for the teacher who observes that I am daydreaming all the time
- variability: hyperfocus on one subject - no focus on most others
- and for myself: it is maybe best described as attention adriftness (adriftity? )

Quote:
So, it is LITERALLY more painful for an ADHD person to do a mundane task than the average person. So, in turn, the brain is actually LOOKING for distractions.
This is so true. Meetings really, really hurt. People would always snigger about that .. no-one likes meetings (at least, no-one that I am on speaking terms with) and they always thought that I was exaggerating.

Quote:
And yes, I have a dopamine boost while writing this.... supercharged by Vyvanse..... as well as the above post. That's why they're so long... Attention deficit my *ss.
That's called 'cooking the data' hahahaha .. taking meds and then: whaddyamean Attention Deficit? *POOF* Here's our Hyperfocusing Hero!

Quote:
[...] The sub-groups are ignored and you just hope you respond to the treatment you're given.
Good point. I am for just doing the most simple thing: officially reinstate the term ADD for the inattentive / SCT variety and maintain ADHD for the others .. and maybe tweak the cutoff point a bit where you are ADD on one side and ADHD on the other since it is argued that the existing point is based on observations with young boys only (or mostly).

Quote:
Stims ain't the best answer for us. They overstress our adrenal glands and our cardiovascular system. Off meds, my pulse is 65-70. On, it's about 90.
For me, they are good. And my pulse does not change significantly.

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 50 mg/d

The Following User Says Thank You to Luthien For This Useful Post:
Retromancer (04-19-08)
Old 04-19-08, 04:26 PM

hummingbird135 is on a distinguished road
Re: Some personal thoughts on condensed version.

hi there, thanks for all your info - but this was new to me and im kind of a little depressed about it - i new i had problems but even dyslexia nad everything didnt hit the nail on the head but htis DID quite squarely - slugglish cognitive tempo - BUt it doesnt show in any of my parents- they are both fine and they get thing quite quickly - i dont - im sooooo slow.even once ive read something a milliion times i dont get it! - i never get the joke unless its explained to me - or only occasionaly.
I tried an exercise which improves your working memory but even that didnt help - i still have to read things a milion times. no hope it seems :-(
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-08, 04:40 PM

dear vince

i would like to ask you why you think you struggle so much with maths - do you think its working memory?? But SCT people are slow mentally like when reading they may have to read many times before the meaning becomes apparent - surely with your IQ you dont have that problem.
And as a possible fellow SCT sufferer, i say this with the greatest of respect aren't SCT sufferer not smart as isn't this the essence of the disabilty.
Thanks for yout time.
Old 04-19-08, 04:47 PM

hi ya,
What did the doc saY??
Thanks
Old 04-19-08, 04:54 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,154 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Attention Adriftness Disorder? I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
...it is maybe best described as attention adriftness...
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Jewelz81 (11-12-11)
Old 04-19-08, 05:44 PM

Arrow Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

hi jeremynd,
I think i prety much havethis problem but i think mine is also confounded my some physical probs.
thanks for your results on the aderall but do you not think that perhaps you have a physical disorder instead/also - i mean the tiredness- you may want to check hypothyroid or perhaps improving your diet??
Thanks
Old 04-19-08, 05:57 PM

Smile Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

hi there luthein,
did you get a response for your question about how you can be smart and a CST person at hte same time?? i dont know -if you have any new on that please enlighten me.

Also, you say that you a physically sluggush - CST people are thought to 'internalise' and suffer from depression/anxiety - is this the case with you? - maybe thats causing your problems, if not, have you looked into a physical cause fro this sluggishness - perhaps hypothyroidism - chronic fatigue, - i mean how does a learning disability like that cause physical symptoms also... i read it interferes with dopamine and depression therefore.

As much as i really want to learn about this problem i struggle cause my memory and reading is soo terrible and i flit from being strongly ambitious about discorvering mroe and feeling completely hopeless.

hope this helps,
Thanks fro any thoughts.
Old 04-28-08, 04:35 AM

dcmoney05 will become famous soon enough

ok i am 20 year old and was just reasontly dignoised with (adhd-I/ADHD-PI/ADD) they are the same. i was never hyperactive when i was a kid nor am i now. i have now learned that SCT describe me perfectly. my daydreaming is very bad and i have always had it. i have a lack of motivation to do things, i sleep like there no tomarrow because im always tired, my thought processing is jack up, its hard for me to focus on thing im not really interested in no matter how hard i try, i have become shy from the lack of my conversational skills, i have difficulty with verbal retrieval from long term memory, im always losing things, and i have a chill lay back, or slugges dimeanor.

however, im really smart. i have been in gift classes and honor classes all through grade school. i still have trouble academicly with things that are harder for me like spelling, reading, and reasoning. im very good with numbers and visual spatial capabilities or (pictoral recall) which is what got me in a lot of the gifted classes.

i have many friends but sometime its like they ignore me or arent really listining to me. when people talk to me im off in LA LA LAND somewhere which makes it hard to respond to them.

since the thinks my friends like to do for fun dont intrest me i have to do other stuff. i snowboard, ride motorcycle, skate board, etc. which they would never do.

its just when i havnt done anything in forever from being stuck in the house all day, sleeping and being extremly bored the high risk activities give me a rush.

im taking 20mg adderall xr which ive only been on for 4 day. it wakes me up in the mourning, keeps me from sleeping all day and motivates me to talk more. but thats it. it does nothing for my memory, focusing, or help me get out of that foggy place.

SCT being consider as a sperate group dosent make since to me since it fit perfectly with the inattentive group.

ADD should be seperated from ADHD because ADD is more mental than physical and ADHD is more physical than mental. and yes i know they are both mental problems. its like upper and downers. they are both pills that give u a high but with different effects.
Old 05-04-08, 10:14 PM

Glimpse Inside will become famous soon enough

Wow, I just read about the Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCD) and I must say the condition fits me almost perfectly. I have been searching for something that would describe the way I feel for about 7 years know, which is approximatelly how long I have had the condition. I was diagnosed with depression, dysthymia, anxiety, social anxiety, add, and what not, since they all share most of the symptoms, but most of these diagnoses somehow felt not right. I tried multiple antidepressants without positive response (except maybe for the first time I was prescribed fluoxetine - then it worked wonders). The only thing that worked after that is Adderall.

And I have classic SCD symptoms - I am constantly daydreaming, and its probably the first symptom I noticed in my condition, but I simply couldn't find it in symptoms lists for depression, add, which I was always surprised about. I have trouble with the short term memory, which is evident by the fact that when I am doing tests I need to read and re-read problem description, until I formulate in my head. Generally, I am good at school, but because of this I tend to do bad in fast paced tests, such as SAT or GRE. I have always been rather shy, withdrawn person. I have hypersomnia - can sleep for 12 hours if uninterrupted, but still wake unrefreshed. I am tired and easily fatigued.

What puzzles me, is that I wasn't like that all the time. I mean, I was rather shy and sluggish for as long as I remember, but I could focus really well, had no motivation problems, didn't get fatiqued easily, was alert and active. It all changed one day, as if out of nothing, when I was at the 10th grade. I slipped into depression, which gradually transformed into the add like symtoms I have today. But from what I read, SCD symtoms usually have a later onset than ADHD symtoms. And some people with ADD develop symtoms only in university, when they have to create their own motivational structure, which might have been previously maintained by parents/teachers.
Old 05-04-08, 10:19 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

scarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to behold

The SCT description fits me pretty well too.

Old 05-04-08, 10:25 PM

Glimpse Inside will become famous soon enough

Dcmoney05 - your symptoms actually sound exactly like mine. I also noticed, that I have always had problems maintaining conversations, loosing words, etc, which probably contributed to shyness, or social anxiety. I am less shy when on Adderall, likely because its easier to maintain interest in conversation, and the talk is somehow just natural then, not requiring much effort. I am surprised Adderall doesn't work for you. Maybe you would respond to IR Adderall better, which is the one I am taking. Also, one question - when did your symptoms occur, did you have them all the time?
The Following User Says Thank You to Glimpse Inside For This Useful Post:
willinabox (07-13-09)
Old 05-21-08, 01:21 AM

pepperann is on a distinguished road

I was kind upset at the idea of sluggish being used to describe my cognitive speed. Now that I've had a few days to think about it, I feel that is pretty accurate. I was wondering how I could have a high I, like quite a few of you have here, and term my brain processing as sluggish. To me the things that are in my head (the many things I ponder, toss about, pull and break apart) are part of the reason my processing of input (from the world outside of my head) is slow. Because I get bored so easily, I am always going back to the more interesting distractions I keep handy in my head. So, when someone begins a long explanation to something that they may be interested in and I am not, well, I've only processed a bit of what they've said. It's okay. I know that's just the way I am. The output part kind of bugs me more. I HATE that I can't express myself verbally as quickly and as wittily as I'd like. I am fine writing. And the witty retorts...oh they pop into my head way too late (usually during the car ride back home after I've had time to ponder the words fully). Sheesh. That really irritates me.

Oh, right...Hello! I'm new here. I love this board. I hope to learn more. I'm glad the bickering earlier in the thread seems to have simmered down.

Cheers!
Old 05-21-08, 07:49 AM
Jr Member

chadega will become famous soon enough

^^^^ I feel exactly the same about the verbal expression vs. written expression dichotomy. I always feel that I said the wrong thing or should have said something at all hours after a social interaction. I feel much more comfortable expressing myself in writing because I have time to think it through, and the end result is always much better.

Looking at the research and diagnostic criteria for SCT (at least the tentative criteria), it fits me far better than the ADHD criteria, even the ones for the inattentive subtype.
Old 05-23-08, 02:14 PM

pepperann is on a distinguished road

This sounds exactly like me. It's a description for ADHD-I. Hmm... SCT works for me as well. This is me to a T. I actually succeeded academically but it took me forever to figure out how to do it..my way.

As stated on previous occasions, It is unfortunate that most of the ADHD research to date has been with those who are ADHD-C. As mentioned above only about 30% of those with ADHD-I symptoms improve to clinical recognized levels with medication. However some adults find a balance of their symptoms with low doses of stimulates and SSRIíS. Some childrenís symptoms are relieved with a low of stimulate medication.
As medication is not always successful with ADHD-I children or adults, they are then left with the option of some sort of therapy or education, which will assist them in understanding how ADHD-I has impacted upon them, and how to overcome firstly their problems with sustaining their attention on the matter in hand, then they need to learn social skills and finally how to process information more effectively.
Now none of this is as easy as stated previously. It is not at all. An ADHD-I child at school will again most likely need some remedial teaching and on a one to one basis. The one to one basis is necessary, as the teacher needs to be close at hand to assist the child to keep their mind on their learning task. The teacher will also need to repeat the lessons, as this will help the child to learn.
ADHD-I children or adults are no less intelligent than the average person. They can in fact be very intelligent. It is known that there as some with high levels of intelligence can overcome the symptoms of ADHD-I and succeed very well academically. However, this comes at a cost, for they are exhausted at the end of the day by the effort of sustaining their attention. Superior intelligence does not automatically give social skills, so those people too could benefit from attending social skills courses.
And of course those with ADHD-I do indeed have their positives. Anything that they learn well they can become experts at and can give advice or input, which are very worthwhile. They are very loyal, caring towards others, have concern for others, are non-judgmental, will go into things in great depth and become very knowledgeable, they can go well in the performing arts or drama.

As with ADHD-C, it is important that those with children and adults with ADHD-I find out all they can about ADHD-I and if necessary seek treatment. In most cases treatment of some kind is needed. Why? Because if the condition became obvious then all is not well and obviously something needs to be done. Possibly medication and or therapy. Therapy maybe necessary if not for the ADHD-I but for any co-morbid condition, which may be there.

SOURCE: http://www.adhd.org.au/adhdi.html
The Following User Says Thank You to pepperann For This Useful Post:
Retromancer (05-23-08)