ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > Counseling & Therapy > Behavior Modification
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Behavior Modification Discuss behavior modification therapies and strategies

Old 02-18-06, 01:07 PM
Contributor

lettie has disabled reputation
Anyone tried Albert Ellis REBT

Just started this with a therapist, who also has ADHD. It's pretty interesting. It's not just working on your behavior, but your feelings and emotions. The REBT stands for Rational Emotion Behavior Therapy. I know if everyone here is like me, that title will freak you out. But, what it does is teaches you why these random emotions of anger, sadness, etc.. occur, and allows you to train your brain to control these.

Anyone done this
Old 02-18-06, 01:14 PM
Contributor

Kokomo has disabled reputation
No...any links that you know of? Guess I could Google it, but thought you might have already sifted through the junk for the best links.
Old 02-18-06, 02:05 PM
Contributor

lettie has disabled reputation
I know I've looked at some links...but I got all the paperwork from my therapist. It's easy to find with REBT of irrational emotions...sorry that's all I got.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-06, 04:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

katatak has disabled reputation
I've had it thrown at me and I just cannot swallow what they say. My question is always about emotions which are appropriate at the time. By their theory you should be capable of being happy at a funeral if you wanted to be. Your sadness at the death of a loved one could be banished with just a thought.

Is that appropriate? Why not, if it is possible? What are these emotions there for anyway? They don't seem to be able to answer any of these questions so I am not able to swallow any of their answers. There are some problems in life which are real, not imaginary. The aren't one's we've conjured up, though I know there are enogh of those.

I'd like a consistant view of my own psyche rather than one so inconsistant.

cheers,
katatak
Old 03-19-06, 09:51 AM

Thanked 8,617 Times in 2,672 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
I have a friend and former colleague who trained with him.

Most people I work with are certainly well versed in RET & RBT, but I don't know anyone who uses it almost exclusively.
Old 03-19-06, 05:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
I actually went to a workshop presented by Albert Ellis in my master's program. I really had liked what I had studied about RET and was anxious to see him in action. Unfortunately, in person, it felt a little like "smack you upside the head" and lets get over this already. Others have used his work quite successfully to work of changing cognitive processes, but I think in the pure form he taught it, that it wouldn't be great for ADDers. His whole belief was that you can change things by thinking differently about them and challenging your faulty beliefs. When something is neurobiological in nature, there may indeed be faulty beliefs that need to be changed (IE: I'm lazy, crazy and stupid or I could do this is I only tried harder) but the actual ADD symptoms aren't going to be rationalized away. I think Rational Emotive Therapy might have a place in treating secondary fallout from having ADHD after the ADD symptoms were treated, but I think it would be useless or even harmful if it was applied to trying to improve executive functions, processesing speed, working memory, impulsivity, etc. With ADD, the problem is that you don't have that pause for thought between the feeling or thought and the action. How will RET help with that? Just probably make you feel worse that you're not TRYING hard enough.

Scattered

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Old 03-19-06, 06:26 PM

Scattered,

Excellent summary.

At best, I may make a passing reference to it every once and awhile.

While I haven't seen any research on it, I would tend to agree with you on trying to treat ADHD.

The caveat here is that it would have to be Inattentive type, as only behavior management works for ADHD-H-I & C types.
Old 03-20-06, 06:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23
Scattered,

Excellent summary.

At best, I may make a passing reference to it every once and awhile.

While I haven't seen any research on it, I would tend to agree with you on trying to treat ADHD.

The caveat here is that it would have to be Inattentive type, as only behavior management works for ADHD-H-I & C types.
Thanks, McTavish. Is that true even when the ADHD (H/I & C) have comorbid issues such as anxiety, relationship problems, depression, low self esteem, ect? I realize you wouldn't use it alone certainly, but after addressing the ADHD issues would it be useful to this group or not in your experience? And would your answer be the same for both kids and adults?

Scattered

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Old 03-20-06, 10:44 PM

Yes and I don't know about adults.
Old 05-17-06, 11:09 AM

orthomolecular is on a distinguished road
I like Albert Ellis's books. His books are easy to read and some things are actually quite humorous.

REBT or CBT can help anyone think about their problems without getting more upset. That is the idea behind either cognitive therapy approaches, helping you think about your problems without making them worse with how you think. Ellis has many examples in his books.

For example, people can respond to something by saying "isn't that terrible" or "isn't that awful." Just using words like awful or terrible make it seem like you won't be able to handle it. And that is a big part of what cognitive therapy is about, the precise language you use to think about your problems. And Ellis calls this "awfulizing." We tend to make it seem so much worse by the choice of words we use.

"How dreaful for you?" Well, is it really so terrible, or so awful or so dreadful? No, but calling it that can make your PERCEPTION seem that way. So one basic skill you can learn is to think and respond like "OK, this is not good, but I can deal with it" or something along those lines. Don't go to a really negative thought process by using words that make you seem like a drama queen because that makes you feel a sense of hopelessness.

It is also a fact that people can learn how to OVER-react to problems because they learned this from their family. My favorite quote is from the character George Costannza on Sienfield when he says "Lets not get into a panic." I love that line because he says it sounding like he has already started to panic, which is how a lot of people respond in a crisis. And this is what we can learn as perfectly natural when it comes to dealing with a minor problem or a full-blown crisis. Again, learning to look at yourself and how you react to problems is what you can change about yourself so you can respond more rationally. It takes some practise but it is possible to change that automatic response we tend to have to OVER-react to situations using REBT.

REBT has plenty of tools to learn to help you deal with minor and major difficulties in life.
Old 05-20-06, 06:53 PM

Galaxy Girl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthomolecular
IMy favorite quote is from the character George Costannza on Sienfield when he says "Lets not get into a panic."
Ortho, I had to laugh at this. Recently my 7-yr-old son, when something goes wrong, has taken to saying: "Whatever you do, don't panic! Panic is the enemy."

Not sure where he picked that up, but it makes me laugh every time I hear him say it. Not a bad philosophy to have, IMO.
Old 05-20-06, 07:15 PM

Galaxy Girl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthomolecular
It is also a fact that people can learn how to OVER-react to problems because they learned this from their family.
Excellent point. As a parent of young children, I'm very aware that how I react to problem situations will shape how my children react to conflicts and problems in their lives for a long time to come.

When they have a fight or disagreement, I try to say: "I know you're mad at each other, and it's okay to disagree... but how can we work this out? Instead of just being mad, let's think about it together; what can we do to fix the situation?"

When they break or spill something, instead of yelling at them, I try to say: "That's okay...it was an accident... everyone makes mistakes. Let's just clean it up and move on." Because when they grow up and things go wrong and they make mistakes, as we all inevitably do, those are the words I want them to hear in their heads.
Old 05-22-06, 10:37 AM

orthomolecular is on a distinguished road
Yes, the ways that people can over-react to minor mishaps makes for great comedy skit routines but don't help your kids learn how to deal with problems in a healthy way. Some people can be so skilled at pushing other people's buttons; it's like they learned this in school or something.

I love it when someone is upset and another person tells them to calm down, like just saying that to someone has some magically effect on them. The only magical effect it has to make the person more upset. But so many times that is what we do, get caught up in the panic or the anxiety instead of stepping back and thinking about it rationally or objectively. My favorite expression is "It's not the end of the world." Nothing is really that bad if you think about it, so it is always good to remember that when something does go wrong.
Old 08-16-06, 07:27 AM

Lesovaren is on a distinguished road
I Agree with KATATAK completely behavioral therapy shouldn't be moulding your emotions to approriate situations it should be focusing on the base of the problem DOES anyone else forget things find it hard to gather their thoughts and begin new things these are the problems of ADD innapropriatness is relative maybe then your creative thinking the next step in human culture is starved by a therapist