ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-06, 06:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

chameleon has disabled reputation
Does ADD=Overactive Imagination?

One of my sons has the most severe ADHD I've ever seen. Frankly, he can barely function. Been through meds, psychs, the whole bit.
The topic I want to approach in this post is my son's overactive imagination.
It is a real problem, to the point that it's interfering in his daily life and formation as a person.
I am talking about the kind of imagination that leads to feelings of paranoia and "seeing" things.
Has anyone else experienced an extremely overactive imagination with AD/HD?
Old 02-25-06, 06:47 PM
The Guy Behind the Curtain

Thanked 1,866 Times in 553 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
*Waves at Chameleon from his imaginary castle* Yep...imagination ran rampant in my childhood (and still does to a certain degree).

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 02-25-06, 06:54 PM

Andrew - did your imagination think up spooky things too? Did it lessen on its own when you grew up? My son is 15 now, did you suffer from it at that age too? He's had this problem for as far back as I could tell. Is there anything he or I can do to help him quiet his imagination?
I know I overworry things as a mother. Is this an area where I probably shouldn't worry as much as I am?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-06, 07:22 PM

Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
I've had it all my life. My advice would be to offer as many creative channels as you can. After school activities? What are his hobbies? I think the goal might be to help him channel his creativity, not quiet it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:
JavaJunkie37 (03-23-14), Mr. Guy (03-23-14)
Old 02-25-06, 07:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

Tater is on a distinguished road
I have had this problem all my life, and was probably most pronounce up until i was about 12, but that was more the vampires coming to get me type of thing. Now it manifests itself in different ways and I can be very very paranoid of other people when its totally uncalled for.

Andrew is really correct in trying to channel it to other aspects, this is what i have done and it has really helped me deal with it. One thing though, dont force it on him, you need to help lead him to do this, if you force him to do it, he will just push back hard and will be counter-productive. Work with him on it, dont work against him.

In the black, There is some white; In the wrong, There is some right; In the dark,There is some light; In the blind,There is some sight.
-Abhinyana

After observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
-Buddha
The Following User Says Thank You to Tater For This Useful Post:
AshT (03-22-14)
Old 02-25-06, 08:22 PM

You have no idea what a relief it is to hear that this isn't so abnormal!
Hmm...creative outlets....I don't know. He's played sports, but isn't right now. He wanted to go join the track team but I said no and he agreed because his grades are terrible right now - he was only thinking of girls and not paying any attention to his school work. So besides sports, any suggestions as to other creative outlets that could help him stop seeing "demons" and "feeling" threats and such?
Old 02-25-06, 08:45 PM

Chameleon,

Writing, painting, role playing are all good creative outlets. What concerns me more is your description of "demons" and paranoia ("feeling threats and such"). Those are not hallmarks of ADD and should be discussed with his doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:
JavaJunkie37 (03-23-14)
Old 02-26-06, 12:08 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,784 Times in 5,851 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
am talking about the kind of imagination that leads to feelings of paranoia and "seeing" things.
Hi Chameleon,

I am on-line buying C.D’s can you tell??? No I aint on those forums again (lol)…I couldn’t keep going without saying some thing.
I have always had an active imagination, I could make up complex characters in my head. I would keep these characters in my mind for months, one set lasted almost a year.
I would place the different characters in different scenarios, various conflicts ect.
My emotions would be affected to a degree but honestly I could “snap out” of my internal world and come back to the external. I would have residual left over feelings for maybe an hour at the most.
Once engaged in an activity I would be able to separate myself from the internal world I had created. The separation process came naturally I did not have to “make myself” disengage.

Quote:
Has anyone else experienced an extremely overactive imagination with AD/HD?
I believe ADDers can have active imaginations, I do not know if I am reading your post correctly but from what I gather your son isn’t able to readily “detach” himself emotionally from what is going on in his internal world.

I was able to “see” the scenarios in my head, I could even see myself in there along side my characters however I was able to readily separate from these “plays” in my head. I knew what was internal and generated from with in from what was happening in the external world. My ability to function emotionally and physically was not affected by my “imagination” ….

I am gathering that your son is having problems with the ability to separate the two.

Quote:
My son is 15 now, did you suffer from it at that age too? He's had this problem for as far back as I could tell. Is there anything he or I can do to help him quiet his imagination?
If I read your post wrong please accept my apology. If I am correct I would recommend seeking some help.

Quote:
I know I overworry things as a mother. Is this an area where I probably shouldn't worry as much as I am?
I do not blame you it sounds as if you have good reason to be concerned. At fifteen he should be getting better not worse. I know you have had some really rough times I do want to be helpful. Please seek help don’t try to handle this stressful situation alone. We all need help from time to time when things get a bit deep!!!

Quote:
suggestions as to other creative outlets that could help him stop seeing "demons" and "feeling" threats and such?
Having to go through life seeing demons and feeling threats doesn’t sound like it would be very pleasant. I believe you like all loving mothers wants your child to be happy which is why this is worrisome.

Quote:
What concerns me more is your description of "demons" and paranoia ("feeling threats and such"). Those are not hallmarks of ADD and should be discussed with his doctor
I completely agree. Getting help and relieving your son of these unpleasant experiences will be a huge relief for both you and your son.

Please keep us post and feel free to private message me if there is any thing I can do to help.

Old 03-22-14, 02:02 PM

Braink37 will become famous soon enough
Re: Does ADD=Overactive Imagination?

I have a really overactive imagination, but my whole life I have been a wallflower and now that I figured out that I have add, I just go insane. When I talk to people every word in my sentences comes directly from my imagination. Always makes people the happiest I've ever seen to the point of tears even if it doesn't make sence. Hahaha!!
Old 03-22-14, 10:00 PM
Forum Guru

AshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to all

Interesting that people disagree that ADHDers are not more creative.
And yet when it comes to imagination, everyone seems on the same page. Not making a point there, just an observation.

Quote:
He wanted to go join the track team but I said no and he agreed because his grades are terrible right now
Man, he's got to have an outlet somehow!! . That's like saying "I'm not going to let you do the things you are good at unless you get good at the things you're bad at".
I'm dyslexic, won't matter how much I read, reading is still a problem for me it's conscious effort and thought. ADHDers NEED PLAY we NEED to recuperate! It's as vital to an athlete needing water, it stops procrastination, it allows creativity, it's like meditation. It's also the only way we get the boring stuff done.

Why not let him use his imagination for good stuff? It might help him become less scared if he can learn to channel it elsewhere when it becomes bad =). Also, if I feel helpless, that's when I start getting intruded with bad imaginative thoughts, I think anyway but i've not had it in a while...but i've never had paranoia.

But in general, I LOVE MY IMAGINATION. It's my escape it's where my ideas and creativity come. I'll imagine something impossible and then think...hang on...how can I make this real?? And then my ideas come into fruition. I'm lucky i'm a computer scientist because most things I imagine I can make in some way or form.

P.s it's good he's so open with you about it .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AshT For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-23-14), Mr. Guy (03-23-14)
Old 03-22-14, 10:09 PM

Thanked 4,146 Times in 2,020 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I was told repetitively when I was younger that I had an overactive imagination.

Now that i'm older and wiser. I realize that I simply have the ability to see things that most people are blind to.
AshT (03-23-14), Drogheda (03-22-14), stef (03-23-14)
Old 03-22-14, 10:54 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Drogheda has much to be proud ofDrogheda has much to be proud ofDrogheda has much to be proud ofDrogheda has much to be proud ofDrogheda has much to be proud ofDrogheda has much to be proud ofDrogheda has much to be proud ofDrogheda has much to be proud ofDrogheda has much to be proud of

over active imagination yes, I think most will say they have that, atleast as a kid. I still do. however I never saw anything that wasn't there.

paranoia though is kind of a common thing to have.

I would see if he would be interested in reading, the arts (music, canvas) and/or acting.
Old 03-23-14, 03:22 AM

Thanked 7,681 Times in 3,967 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I got scared by my own fantasies too. I like films. For some reason I wanted to be scared while watching them and making them up in my head.
I would give more advice if this thread wasn't started in 2006/

I zone out, a lot. While I do I come up with ideas for new blog posts or a few scenes of my screenplay.
Old 03-23-14, 07:39 AM

Thanked 17,352 Times in 7,817 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's like saying "I'm not going to let you do the things you are good at unless you get good at the things you're bad at".
I dont have anything to add to the thread but I had to quote this because its so powerful.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-23-14), JavaJunkie37 (03-23-14)
Old 03-23-14, 08:04 AM

Thanked 7,681 Times in 3,967 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but to be fair if someone is doing bad at school, then they need to put all concentration in that and not get distracted. I don't think I could balance sports and homework.

Grades are more important than sports in the long run. Yes, exercise is better for your physical health but you can do that once you're in college or whatever you do after you finish school.

Sometimes setting a reward is good motivation for those with ADHD. I rewarded myself with a second lamington slice today. OK, so it was just so I could get past this one part of a video game I was stuck on, but, it worked.

I suppose it's just the fact that I was a failure educationally wise, so I think it's very important for children to get on top of that before it's too late.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-23-14)