ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-24-11, 03:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,936 Times in 6,751 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall side effect question

I think its more about max dose then recommended dose for each disorder. I take 60mg and I am not narcoleptic. When hubby who is narcoleptic started with Ritalin he took 20mg and it made him feel like a crackhead. Now he takes provigil. Different strokes for different folks.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-24-11, 05:44 PM

Notepad is on a distinguished road

Are you saying you are on 60 mg Adderall... If so I am relieved because I was looking at this thread and freaked, "I am on too much Adderall!" I took 10mg of Ritalin TID before Adderall and I felt like I've just taken extra dose of Benadryl.
Old 09-25-11, 08:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,936 Times in 6,751 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am. I started with 15mg xr then 2. 15mg xr. The xr is not great for me digestion wise so then it was 20 mg ir 3x a day. That was pretty good. Now its 30xr 1x a day with 3 10 mg ir boosters spread out. I prefer the smaller more frequent dosing combined with the initial longevity of the xr. I'm not familiar with the max dosage for adhd or even what is typical or too high but I've seen people here who are great on 90mg and great on 20ng. I have a great doc that i've been with for 12 years so we work together with all dosing issues with meds.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-11, 04:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

WorkAholic will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Adderall side effect question

I am so relieved to have found this thread. I have been all over the place trying to find a dose that works for me (with my psychiatrist AND psychologist). I have adderall XR and adderall IR.

The first day I took 10mg a few months ago I had a loss of appetite and was worried that taking more than 10mg would be bad for me (I couldn't seem to take my usual nap after work). My mouth was dry in the beginning and sometimes I had a bad taste. Ok I forgot to mention I took the Adderall IR in the morning around 6. It worked ok at first because I wasn't falling asleep when I drove home from work. Then I could tell it wasn't working anymore. I tried taking a 20mg XR at 6am and couldn't tell a difference. I took a 20 mg XR and then a 20mg IR at around 2:30. It seemed ok but I was still having trouble focusing on homework.

Since then, I have been on Adderall IR 30 mg 2x times a day, 6am and usually 4pm since I have school until 10 and don't get home until 1045. My pupils are bigger than normal so I know it's in my system but I cannot focus at all anymore. I read and fall asleep. I am tired and need to take naps. I have never had a problem since the first day with my appetite. Some days I have a rash and I have no idea where that comes from. It might be stress...the more I worry about overdosing the worse it seems to get (the internet has a long list of effects that indicate overdoses and it makes me paranoid).

This is a long post, sorry, I just wish I could find an answer. I work long days and have a lot of homework I need to be able to focus. My psychologist recommended I get blood work done.

This sounds gross but when I first started taking it, my urine had a really strong smell to it. I read somewhere that might be because my metabolism was processing it too fast. There doesn't seem to be an answer and I am so frustrated. I've googled everywhere. I don't take any medicines that would counteract it. I wonder if I'm on too low of a dose. I wonder what's going on in general.

Last edited by BR549; 10-16-11 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: paragraph breaks
The Following User Says Thank You to WorkAholic For This Useful Post:
Jaded152 (01-05-12)
Old 11-28-11, 05:41 PM
Contributor

gatorADDe has a spectacular aura aboutgatorADDe has a spectacular aura about

You may just be one of those people with unfortunate biochemistry that doesn't react well with this drug. Abdominal pain is a common side effect along with a loss of appetite. I say try it out for a lil while and if it persists you may want to talk to your doc about switching to something else if you can't bear the pain.
Old 01-05-12, 03:22 AM

Jaded152 is on a distinguished road

Hey, WorkAholic! Did you ever end up getting blood work done? Did you find any answers?

I also have trouble focusing on reading when I take it. My brain just works differently on it. It definitely helps me organize and follow through, but in the same token it stifles my creativity. I just get so focused on one thing.

How is your blood sugar? If you think your metabolism is too fast, your best bet would be to make sure you're feeding your body at least every 2-3 hours, even if it's just half an apple or handful of almonds. Getting enough protein is essential to your brain functioning properly. I sometimes will just carry protein shakes with me.

I am a firm believer that it all boils down to you knowing your body. If you feel like it's negatively effecting your mood &/or health, reevaluate your priorities. Are you happy? If I take it like I'm proscribed (30IR twice a day) I don't get nearly the amount of sleep my normal, drug-free body needs to function properly. Then, if I stop for a day, I'm exhausted & just struggle to find motivation. The drug IS working, but it's only as good as the body it is in.

Adderall is a serious drug, and when I didn't allow myself holidays away from the upper, I was less productive/happy in the long run. I would just turn into a zombie not really getting things done the way I could had I just slept a few extra hours.

You have to find your own personal balance. I work full-time, and run a very busy photography business, as well as host a local sports show, so I can completely relate. I guess I see myself in you & really wish I didn't have to figure it all out on my own. Goodluck with everything! & take care of yourself
Old 01-05-12, 09:50 PM

beradical is on a distinguished road

I'm a newbie. I take 30mg of Addarall 2x's a day. I've noticed the loss of apetite, and the weird taste in my mouth and of course, dry mouth. Another thing I've notice is that my mouth is always going. I don't talk more, I just have weird mouth play. My tonque won't stay still. I find that I lightly chatter my teeth. I chew a lot of sugar free gum. I've never heard of this side effect before. Does anyone else have this issue? Or am I just an odd ball? Maybe I did all of this when I wasn't on meds and just didn't notice it. According to my dentist, I don't grit my teeth at night. This is so weird.

Also, how do I know when I'm taking too high of a dose?

What happens when you get overfocused?

My teeth are chattering again. Doh!
Old 01-06-12, 03:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

Urgezz will become famous soon enough

i get the involuntary mouth movements as well (although i had them before as well, but only when concentrating REALLLLLY hard lol). your not alone on this, but given that your a newbie (60mg a day for a newb is a bit high but im not judging) you'll find that in time it reduces in severity. i consciously forced the habit away because i was scraping my tounge against my teeth so much that it just caused painful sores. that's damn good motivation right there! chewing gum helps a lot.

you'll know you took too much if: a) you get really lethargic when you should be up and ready to go, provided you had enough sleep... b) you get the "oh-****" feeling, you'll know it when/if it happens lol. don't worry, just get comfortable, take some deep breaths and ride it out.
Old 01-24-12, 04:50 AM

crazy_colie8 is on a distinguished road

I got horrible stomach aches from Adderall until I talked to my doctor and she recommended that I eat something, then take the medicine. It helped tremendously-- no more stomach problems! I hope this helps you
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy_colie8 For This Useful Post:
Distaggio (02-18-12)
Old 02-13-12, 04:27 PM
Jr Member

alphadeltadelta is on a distinguished road

Other than staying hydrated, a staple I rely on for self care is a macrobiotic drink which helps nervous system balance and digestive health. Umeboshi plum paste (Eden Organics) Kuzu root starch (also Eden), & Nama Shoyu (Ohsawa brand) soy sauce. 'The Macrobiotic Path to Total Health' is a a definitive text/resource & contains this recipe: mix thoroughly 1-2 tsp each of the soy sauce and plum paste in a cup, meanwhile dissolve 1-2 tsp kuzu starch in 1 cup Cold water before bringing to a boil. It will be a slightly thickened liquid..pour over mixture and stir before drinking. Enjoy as needed. good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to alphadeltadelta For This Useful Post:
Distaggio (02-18-12)
Old 04-26-12, 06:37 PM
Contributor

escott has disabled reputation
Smile Re: Adderall side effect question

The side effects adderall have given me are loss of appetite, insomnia, become overly emotional, hard to talk. There bad but the alternative is worse.
escott
Old 04-27-12, 02:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

WorkAholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded152 View Post
Hey, WorkAholic! Did you ever end up getting blood work done? Did you find any answers?

I also have trouble focusing on reading when I take it. My brain just works differently on it. It definitely helps me organize and follow through, but in the same token it stifles my creativity. I just get so focused on one thing.

How is your blood sugar? If you think your metabolism is too fast, your best bet would be to make sure you're feeding your body at least every 2-3 hours, even if it's just half an apple or handful of almonds. Getting enough protein is essential to your brain functioning properly. I sometimes will just carry protein shakes with me.

I am a firm believer that it all boils down to you knowing your body. If you feel like it's negatively effecting your mood &/or health, reevaluate your priorities. Are you happy? If I take it like I'm proscribed (30IR twice a day) I don't get nearly the amount of sleep my normal, drug-free body needs to function properly. Then, if I stop for a day, I'm exhausted & just struggle to find motivation. The drug IS working, but it's only as good as the body it is in.

Adderall is a serious drug, and when I didn't allow myself holidays away from the upper, I was less productive/happy in the long run. I would just turn into a zombie not really getting things done the way I could had I just slept a few extra hours.

You have to find your own personal balance. I work full-time, and run a very busy photography business, as well as host a local sports show, so I can completely relate. I guess I see myself in you & really wish I didn't have to figure it all out on my own. Goodluck with everything! & take care of yourself
Hey sorry for the late late response
I haven't been on the forums in a while.

I got blood work done but there still weren't any answers. The doctors all agreed that I just have an extremely high tolerance to the stimulants.

Right now I'm taking 20mg of Adderall 3-4 times a day and it seems to be working pretty well. I'm hoping that the Adderall isn't the reason I've been getting hives though...the doctors are all trying to figure it out.

I haven't tried the Adderall while going to school yet, that will be the true test!

Past: Vyvanse, Focalin, Adderall IR/XR, Ritalin, Strattera, Cymbalta
Old 06-09-12, 07:54 AM

mmak40 is on a distinguished road

You bring up a good point.

On a related topic, I have had 4 different knee surgeries. During the first 3, I had a very difficult time taking percocet. I needed it for the pain for several days but it made me sick, glassy eyed, unable to sleep for my then short spurts, etc. Basically, I was miserable. Before I had my last major surgery, I had a long talk with my doctor. I was miserable about the thought of having to take percocet again! We had a great discussion about research that was being done linking our DNA make up to drugs. They are finding that different drug families work better with different DNA.

With that in mind, for my last knee surgery (and my next 2 minor shoulder arthroscopic procedures), I was given Dilaudid (Morphine family). Wow, what a difference. The pain was well under control and I was a normal person during the recovery. When my mom showed up to help with my second major knee surgery she couldn't believe how well I looked and felt. She had felt obligated to get on a plane and come to me after being there for the first one and knowing how horrible I felt. She saw none of that with me on Dilaudid.

So, yes, different drugs work differently for each of us. I hope they continue to research the connection between our DNA and start finding better ways of matching us to drugs that will meet our health needs.

Last edited by BR549; 06-09-12 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: paragraph breaks only
Old 08-16-12, 05:37 PM

wolf1027 is on a distinguished road

I took airborne when I would get sick from adderall. Usually on comedown. I guess all the vitamin c and magnesium helps. I also have to take lorazapem with it to avoid panic attacks/withdrawals.
Old 08-28-12, 08:16 PM

aaddlex is on a distinguished road

Hi there...brand new...first post. I've tried, Concerta, Focalin, Vyvanse and now Adderall. So far I think this may be the best for me. Stomoach pains not incredibly but diareahh and loose bowels moevements pretty much exclusively and since began the adderall.

I have two questions....

1. Does that ever subside?
2. I've been prescribed 15mg (IR) 2Xper day. I feel like it might work but think that a higher dose might be better. Should I try to double up to 30mg just to see if that works better or maybe a 15 and a half?