ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 05-11-10, 11:32 PM
Jr Member

peachy76 is on a distinguished road
Re: Controversial Treatments for Children With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disord

it's so sad to see how everything is controlled by big pharma etc.. and that we suffer because of it.

it's like cancer .. cures were found long ago by credible doctors but they refused and still refuse to continue the research .. some people are making to much money.
Old 05-12-10, 06:19 AM
Contributor

qanda will become famous soon enough
Re: Controversial Treatments for Children With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disord

Don't want to spend the time right now to find the article, but did read a study that transcedental (spelling?) meditation helped with adhd. The kids did it in school.
Old 05-12-10, 08:21 AM

mrkellen1 is on a distinguished road

Types Of ADHD:

Predominantly Inattentive Type: It is hard for the individual to organize or finish a task, to pay attention to details, or to follow instructions or conversations. The person is easily distracted or forgets details of daily routines.

Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type: The person fidgets and talks a lot. It is hard to sit still for long (e.g., for a meal or while doing homework). Smaller children may run, jump or climb constantly. The individual feels restless and has trouble with impulsivity. Someone who is impulsive may interrupt others a lot, grab things from people, or speak at inappropriate times. It is hard for the person to wait their turn or listen to directions. A person with impulsiveness may have more accidents and injuries than others.

Combined Type: Symptoms of the above two types are equally present in the person.

Last edited by Lady Lark; 05-12-10 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: removed weblink
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-10, 08:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachy76 View Post
it's so sad to see how everything is controlled by big pharma etc.. and that we suffer because of it.

it's like cancer .. cures were found long ago by credible doctors but they refused and still refuse to continue the research .. some people are making to much money.
And some of us are still able to walk because someone bothered to do the research and develop new medication. Many people are alive today because they have access to modern drugs.

In the dark ages, people with medical conditions were institutionalized, put in asylums for things like epilepsy.

Meadd823 has a great post about the most commonly dispensed medications in North America - stimulant medications aren't one of them.

Phaedrus

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
Amtram (05-12-10), Dizfriz (05-12-10), ginniebean (12-03-11), Luvmybully (10-20-12)
Old 05-12-10, 12:17 PM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachy76 View Post

You make a very serious accusation in regards to the cancer issue. I am assuming that you can support this rather startling statement and ask that you do so. Keep in mind that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Looking forward to your informative response.

Dizfriz.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-12-10), LynneC (12-03-11), mctavish23 (12-02-11)
Old 05-12-10, 03:10 PM

Thanked 17,517 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

And they never will find a "cure for cancer" because it's not just one disease. Extensive research has found effective treatments for many kinds of cancer, saved a huge number of lives, and added years to the lives of those who could not be completely cured. Check out PubMed, or a list of studies being conducted, which you can find on the National Institute of Health website, or even look at the number of hits you get for "oncology study" on Google. There's no dearth of research into the many, many varieties of cancer.

And it's no secret that a lot of the research is funded by companies that make pharmaceuticals and medical devices. Would you refuse a pacemaker because it was developed by a for-profit company? For that matter, do you boycott post-its, OTC painkillers, all motorized transport, or machine-sewn clothing? If all research was done only through university or government funding, we'd still be in the Dark Ages of medicine.

In addition, all researchers who publish are required to disclose, at the very top of their abstracts, any professional connections to for-profit industries. Funding sources for the research are also disclosed, sometimes at the beginning, sometimes at the end, depending upon the number of sources. It's illegal to keep it secret, and for a number of years has been required for anything that is submitted for peer review.

In fact, it doesn't take a lot of effort to find studies, compare them, find which organization reviewed them, see the methodology and the number (and species) of the test subjects, and get some idea of their validity based on those factors.

It may be easier to dismiss them out of hand, of course, but that has no impact upon the actual findings. Plus, it's a lot easier to check on the veracity of subjects that have been researched and published than it is to validate anecdotal evidence. Of course, I like to question and research and compare, so I don't mind the amount of time it takes. And what I've found is that the place the money came from is less important than the results of the research it funded.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (05-12-10), Imnapl (05-12-10)
Old 12-02-11, 07:24 AM

miller234 is on a distinguished road

Thank you Stacy Long!!! I also did my research and decided to do alernative therapies with my son. I was not going to put toxic pharmaceuticals in his young body with all those side affects and toxify his young liver at such a young age.

I found that diet, food sensitivities, adding lots of fresh fruit and veggies to his diet, Homeopathy, detoxifying him and his colon, taking probiotics, some supplements and a few vitamins, and especially auriculotherapy worked wonders for him. He is no longer add/adhd. He is a sophomore in high school, has never been on a "special" plan like a 504 in school, is taking regular classes AND AP classes to boot and a B grad point.

Everyones body is different and what works for one person is different from another person, which is why one supplement or vitamin works for one person and not another. You just need to figure out what YOUR body needs.

When he was born he ended up with 10 days of ampicillin and genamiacin (not sure of spelling). This anti-biotics killed the bacteria, including the good bacteria in his gut which is why we did the colon therapies to clean out the bad bacteria that had built up in his colon, and added the probiotics ( good bacteria) back into his body, but we did not figure this out until he was in 6th grade. It made such a huge difference that within 2 weeks 2 teachers and a principal commented on how improved he was. I did not need a scientific study to know that this worked for MY child.

I hope this helps. feel free to contact me.
Old 12-02-11, 09:32 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,590 Times in 15,090 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

You do not grow out of adhd. It is a life long chronic condition. If he "no longer has it' then he didn't have it to begin with. Medication is not for everyone but, it has been studied and is considered the most effective first line treatment
available. The use of medication has been studied for many years.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (12-02-11), Dizfriz (12-02-11), Luvmybully (10-20-12), mctavish23 (12-02-11), SquarePeg (10-19-12)
Old 12-02-11, 11:21 AM
Forum Guru

ccom5100 has disabled reputation

There are many conditions that mimic adhd. That could be why it is widely believed that adhd is over-diagnosed. How many of us are treating our kids for adhd, when they really have something else going on? It could be good thing to reserach and try other modes of treatment rather than just relying on the adhd diagnosis and usual treatment with stimulants.
Old 12-02-11, 11:34 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,590 Times in 15,090 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccom5100 View Post
There are many conditions that mimic adhd. That could be why it is widely believed that adhd is over-diagnosed. How many of us are treating our kids for adhd, when they really have something else going on? It could be good thing to reserach and try other modes of treatment rather than just relying on the adhd diagnosis and usual treatment with stimulants.

I agree with investigating all options my main point was that while symptoms can be reduced and managed adhd doesn't go away. Stimulants as well as supplements (and diet too ) are both effective and neither should be looked down upon.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (12-02-11), Dizfriz (12-02-11), Luvmybully (10-20-12)
Old 12-02-11, 06:49 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I agree with investigating all options my main point was that while symptoms can be reduced and managed adhd doesn't go away. Stimulants as well as supplements (and diet too ) are both effective and neither should be looked down upon.
I wasn't disputing your point; I was just making an observation.
The Following User Says Thank You to ccom5100 For This Useful Post:
LynneC (12-02-11)
Old 12-02-11, 09:59 PM

Thanked 10,193 Times in 3,205 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

For the record,

ADHD is actually underdiagnosed.

However, I do agree that understanding the comorbid conditions

is imperative.

That is where I believe an equally strong understanding of genetics,

as well as age and gender symptom changes and differences across

the lifespan, really pays off.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (12-05-11), Lady Lark (12-03-11)
Old 12-04-11, 07:46 AM

miller234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
You do not grow out of adhd. It is a life long chronic condition. If he "no longer has it' then he didn't have it to begin with. Medication is not for everyone but, it has been studied and is considered the most effective first line treatment
available. The use of medication has been studied for many years.

To say "You do not grow out of adhd. It is a life long chronic condition. If he "no longer has it' then he didn't have it to begin with" is just not true. You did not live with my son and you have no right to say this.

If you stay on pharmaceutical drugs to "manage" the condition and never try alternatives, then it will be chronic for you. I can say with 100% certainty that he absolutely is cured from ADD/ADHD. How can you say that he never had it?? when you dont even know him.

Drugs do nothing to "fix" the problem. All it does is put a bandage on the problem. When you stop taking them you still have the problem. Getting rid of the toxins in the body is a huge first step. Their young bodies cant handle all the toxins in the environment, food and medicines, so by getting rid of these toxins naturally helps tremendously. One of the many things we did was hydro-colon therapy because we realized that the anti-biotic he had killed the good and bad bacteria in his gut and intestines. This cleaned out the bad bacteria that had built up over the years, so we added in the pro-biotics to encourage good bacteria in his gut. I was shocked at what a difference this made!! I forgot to mention that we did biofeedback as well that was also great.

A friend of mine's son tried Auriculo Therapy on her son with Asperger and his grades went from flunking all his tests to passing them within a couple of weeks starting the treatment. He started making conversation and it is continuing to improve and quite quickly i might say ... needless to say, his parents are thrilled... and the medical community says this cant be reversed either.

I know tons of people that use alternative treatments to actually reverse the effects of many dis-eases that the medical community says can be reversed.

If you stay on pharmaceutical drugs to "manage" the condition and never try alternatives, then it will be chronic for you.
Old 12-05-11, 05:54 PM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller234 View Post
To say "You do not grow out of adhd. It is a life long chronic condition. If he "no longer has it' then he didn't have it to begin with" is just not true. You did not live with my son and you have no right to say this.
Living with your son has little to do with the science of ADHD. ADHD is a neurobiological disorder that is mostly but not totally hereditary. None of the things you listed can affect the brain make up. There are a number of things that can mimic ADHD which can be "cured" with these remedies but as far a ADHD itself-they can have little effect on the underlying causes.

Quote:
{I found that diet, food sensitivities, adding lots of fresh fruit and veggies to his diet, Homeopathy, detoxifying him and his colon, taking probiotics, some supplements and a few vitamins, and especially auriculotherapy worked wonders for him. He is no longer add/adhd. He is a sophomore in high school, has never been on a "special" plan like a 504 in school, is taking regular classes AND AP classes to boot and a B grad point.
That is very good but if these "cured" your son then again he very likely was not ADHD in the first place for the reasons I gave above. How do these these things affect the makeup of the brain?

Quote:
If you stay on pharmaceutical drugs to "manage" the condition and never try alternatives, then it will be chronic for you. I can say with 100% certainty that he absolutely is cured from ADD/ADHD.
And I can say with 100% certainty that you cannot say the kid was "cured" by the methods listed.
Quote:
How can you say that he never had it?? when you dont even know him.
Again, what does knowing him have to do with the science of the disorder?

Quote:
Drugs do nothing to "fix" the problem. All it does is put a bandage on the problem. When you stop taking them you still have the problem.
This is quite true and fits in with the scientific knowledge of ADHD.

Quote:
Getting rid of the toxins in the body is a huge first step. Their young bodies cant handle all the toxins in the environment, food and medicines, so by getting rid of these toxins naturally helps tremendously. One of the many things we did was hydro-colon therapy because we realized that the anti-biotic he had killed the good and bad bacteria in his gut and intestines. This cleaned out the bad bacteria that had built up over the years, so we added in the pro-biotics to encourage good bacteria in his gut. I was shocked at what a difference this made!!
Again I am glad it helped but how did these these things change his brain structure?
Quote:
I forgot to mention that we did biofeedback as well that was also great.
We do know that Biofeedback helps some ADHD kids but the results are not permanent and there are many that it doesn't help.

Quote:
A friend of mine's son tried Auriculo Therapy on her son with Asperger and his grades went from flunking all his tests to passing them within a couple of weeks starting the treatment. He started making conversation and it is continuing to improve and quite quickly i might say ... needless to say, his parents are thrilled... and the medical community says this cant be reversed either.
I am stumped, I have never heard of acupuncture on the ear helping autistic spectrum disorders. Also do you mean that the treatment cannot be reversed or that the medical community says the disorder cannot be reversed? I am not clear on this.

Quote:
I know tons of people that use alternative treatments to actually reverse the effects of many dis-eases that the medical community says can be reversed.
I am sorry, could you rewrite this. I suspect you mean cannot be reversed. I cannot comment until I am sure of what you meant.

Quote:
If you stay on pharmaceutical drugs to "manage" the condition and never try alternatives, then it will be chronic for you.
Oh what judgmental statements we use.

Right now, we have your opinion that these things helped your son. The problem is your trying to generalize this to others. We need just a little more than your opinion and one case.

Interesting concepts but needs more evidence. I must admit that treating ADHD by detoxifying colons is a new one on me.

Might I suggest you taking a look at the references listed at http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...14#post1099114

and bring yourself a bit more up to date on the current work on ADHD. From this, I think you will understand a little better what people are trying to tell you. You don't have to agree with that the sites say but you do need to be aware of what the current stance of science on ADHD. Knowledge is the key to dealing with this disorder.

Dizfriz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (12-05-11), Luvmybully (10-20-12), sarahsweets (12-05-11)
Old 12-05-11, 11:10 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfriz View Post
ADHD is a neurobiological disorder that is mostly but not totally hereditary. None of the things you listed can affect the brain make up. There are a number of things that can mimic ADHD which can be "cured" with these remedies but as far a ADHD itself-they can have little effect on the underlying causes. That is very good but if these "cured" your son then again he very likely was not ADHD in the first place for the reasons I gave above. How do these these things affect the makeup of the brain?..Dizfriz
That sure opens a Pandoras box. You admit that so many things mimic adhd and can be cured with these remedies. Yet, how do we know if our kid really has the neurobiological disorder? There are no medical tests for adhd, like an MRI, cat scan, etc. A diagnosis is based solely on the symptoms (primarily using the Conner Scale). So, if the symptoms are the same and if we only treat those symptoms with pharmaceutical drugs that help to manage adhd, it will remain chronic. However, if we go beyond the pharmaceutical treatment and try other natural-based treatments, that would be the only way to really know if it is a neurobiological disorder we are dealing with OR if there possibly is a food sensitivity, or buildup of toxins, which can actually be cured by those treatments. Wow!

--------------
Hester Prynne
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ccom5100 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (12-06-11), Luvmybully (10-20-12), miller234 (12-06-11), qanda (12-06-11)