ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 12-05-11, 11:47 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,861 Times in 14,138 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Controversial Treatments for Children With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disord

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller234 View Post
To say "You do not grow out of adhd. It is a life long chronic condition. If he "no longer has it' then he didn't have it to begin with" is just not true. You did not live with my son and you have no right to say this.

If you stay on pharmaceutical drugs to "manage" the condition and never try alternatives, then it will be chronic for you. I can say with 100% certainty that he absolutely is cured from ADD/ADHD. How can you say that he never had it?? when you dont even know him.

Drugs do nothing to "fix" the problem. All it does is put a bandage on the problem. When you stop taking them you still have the problem. Getting rid of the toxins in the body is a huge first step. Their young bodies cant handle all the toxins in the environment, food and medicines, so by getting rid of these toxins naturally helps tremendously. One of the many things we did was hydro-colon therapy because we realized that the anti-biotic he had killed the good and bad bacteria in his gut and intestines. This cleaned out the bad bacteria that had built up over the years, so we added in the pro-biotics to encourage good bacteria in his gut. I was shocked at what a difference this made!! I forgot to mention that we did biofeedback as well that was also great.

A friend of mine's son tried Auriculo Therapy on her son with Asperger and his grades went from flunking all his tests to passing them within a couple of weeks starting the treatment. He started making conversation and it is continuing to improve and quite quickly i might say ... needless to say, his parents are thrilled... and the medical community says this cant be reversed either.

I know tons of people that use alternative treatments to actually reverse the effects of many dis-eases that the medical community says can be reversed.

If you stay on pharmaceutical drugs to "manage" the condition and never try alternatives, then it will be chronic for you.
This cannot be debated with you due to your inability to separate your emotions from your son. Show me 5 well written scientific studies about a cure for adhd and I will nominate you for the nobel peace prize.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-06-11, 05:05 AM
Contributor

qanda will become famous soon enough
Re: Controversial Treatments for Children With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disord

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdogwalker View Post
I haven't done any scientific research as others have, but I'll just share a little of my personal experience. I was on the Feingold diet from the age of 4-17. My mother saw the Phil Donahue show discussing AD/HD and the Feingold diet when I was a toddler, decided that was what was wrong with me and put me on the diet. Of course, I have no idea what life would have been like had I not been on it, but I will say that I was still severely hyperactive and had major attentional and behavior problems. My brother and sister were also on this diet. I managed to do well in school despite my difficulties. My brother and sister did not do as well in school and were both on Ritalin when in junior high. I continued to suffer from severe emotional problems and struggled with anorexia. Not once did my parents ever take me to a psychologist or psychiatrist for any type of help or official diagnosis-- they just kept me on the Feingold diet and somehow thought that I would be ok.
Even as an adult, I was very against medication and never even considered doing anything about my ADHD until this past spring-- I wanted to return to school and finish my degree but also knew that I would flip out and drop out. I made an appointment with a psychiatrist, underwent neuropsychological testing and found out that not only was I ADHD but bipolar as well. I now realize that much of what I suffered through as a child/adolescent can be attributed to childhood onset bipolar disorder.
I still get tons of exercise (I walk dogs for a living), eat a very healthy diet (because I have no taste for artificial food), and struggle to get through the day without meds. I am now medicated with adderall and seroquel and feel my life is vastly improved, although it still has a ways to go. I've tried all kinds of supplements, etc., and none of them have aided me in any way. Rather, they delayed me getting the help I needed.
Sorry if I sound a bit vehement about this matter, it's just that I've suffered for years as a result of these controversial treatments.
I can understand if you are not interested & if meds are working for you then I could also understand why you would not want to rock the boat, but you might want to look into True Hope Empower Plus. Lots of parents of children with bipolar are having great results with this vitamin.
Old 12-06-11, 05:08 AM
Contributor

qanda will become famous soon enough

How do any of us know if we really have adhd or not? How were you all evaluated? Everyone I know, including my daughter, was evaluated by her symptoms. No one looked at changes in her brain.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-11, 12:31 PM

miller234 is on a distinguished road

From all the people i know that have these add/adhd symptoms, as they when they get rid of toxins, they improve. This absolutely does include (burt is certainly not limited to) food allergies, food sensitivities, toxic colon, digestive issues, etc.

If you google "vetiver essential Oils" you'll find that it helps with add/adhd.

I was just reading on the maryland medical school (www.mmu.edu) web site if you look up "Hawthorn" on their web site, they talk about research that its good for your heart in many ways -natural Herbs do let the body actually heal your selves. (http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/hawthorn-000256.htm)

There are many ways to enable your body to heal itself, you just need to be open to investigating various options.
Old 01-15-12, 06:12 PM

kb62078 is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Controversial Treatments for Children With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
EEG Biofeedback

has anyone tried this - what are your experiences. Is it expensive?
Tried it with my daughter for over a year. About an hour after the first session I thought I had found the miracle cure, unfortunately, it didn't last and it became a game of chasing the dragon. (an extremely expensive one at that). Far be it from me to suggest that my experience is the only one that matters, many would probably say it's a god-send. I think when it comes to treating ADHD the treatments that work to treat it are as individual as the people who suffer from it. In other words, if you think it might work, give it a shot, just don't expect miracles... Oh! and make sure you go to someone who's adequately trained, not some schmo who got a wild hair and bought a machine and a computer...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kb62078 For This Useful Post:
bytorz (04-17-12), ccom5100 (01-16-12), Dizfriz (01-16-12), Luvmybully (10-20-12), meadd823 (10-19-12)
Old 07-07-12, 07:37 AM

zainuk is on a distinguished road

hi every one i am new here
i am trying to get for my son who is now 8 years old. during his childhood we have noticed that he wasnt similar to other children and all the symtoms of ADHA are there, i have been to my GP trying to get help for him? all i get he will grow out of this recently his behaviour got little be out of control went back GP relayed my concern and now i have the child protection serivce up my back.

what do i do????
Old 09-09-12, 05:32 PM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

Hello:

Here's a link to a similar discussion going on over at Newsvine.com called:

"The ADHD Scam and the Mass Drugging of Schoolchildren (Transcript)"
from this website:
naturalnews.com
It illuminates three things for me, yes, the drug companies love to overprescribe for just about everything; yes, some people are misdiagnosed, and sadly, some people believe the condition does not exist.

Last edited by Amtram; 09-09-12 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: edited commercial link
Old 09-09-12, 07:17 PM

rainingstar is on a distinguished road
Re: Controversial Treatment for Children With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disord

For those of you who are interested and are willing to try, my friend actually just created an iPhone game targeted for kids with ADHD. It's a very simple game but my son (who has ADHD) could play that game for 30-45 minutes straight. The game is called 'Quick Tiles' (search it on AppStore) and it only costs $1.
Old 09-10-12, 09:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Controversial Treatment for Children With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainingstar View Post
For those of you who are interested and are willing to try, my friend actually just created an iPhone game targeted for kids with ADHD. It's a very simple game but my son (who has ADHD) could play that game for 30-45 minutes straight. The game is called 'Quick Tiles' (search it on AppStore) and it only costs $1.
My son could play just about any video game for 30-45 minutes straight. Not sure how this is beneficial...
The Following User Says Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (10-19-12)
Old 09-10-12, 10:54 AM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX2012 View Post
Hello:

Here's a link to a similar discussion going on over at Newsvine.com called:

"The ADHD Scam and the Mass Drugging of Schoolchildren (Transcript)" from this website: naturalnews.com

It illuminates three things for me, yes, the drug companies love to overprescribe for just about everything; yes, some people are misdiagnosed, and sadly, some people believe the condition does not exist.
You can find the discussion at:
http://drrexdexter-1241358.newsvine....ren-transcript

You can find the article at: naturalnews.com

I looked at the natural news article and it sounded very much like a Scientology screed. Sure enough, I looked it up on rationalwiki and found this concerning the owner.
Quote:
He thinks Scientology (of which he is an ex-member) is treated unfairly.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/NaturalNews

Out of curiosity I did a search on the site for "Baughman, ADHD" and got a number of hits confirming this indeed is a Scientology connected site and therefore has to be taken as limited or no creditability in the matter of ADHD.

Here are a couple of quotes from the article:

Quote:
If someone gave your children a drug that stunted their growth, inhibited their brain development, and ultimately caused them permanent damage, what would you, as parents, do?
Good grief, one should wear high rubber boots before tackling this.

Quote:
MRI's show a difference in the brains of those treated for ADHD, alright...the NIH findings show slowed brain development which thousands of MRI's have confirmed.
Well in fact this is the result we find with most ADHD kids. I would love to see some evidence supporting this. He did not really give any but cherry picked instead and gave it his own interpretation.

Quote:
The True Cause of ADHD Nothing is wrong with these children other than probably their diet, a little too much refined sugar and too many food additives.
How many times have we heard things like this?

Interesting catch. There are sites like this out there and this is one of the things we have to overcome in the struggle to get ADHD accepted, diagnosed and treated.

Thanks

Dizfriz

Last edited by Amtram; 09-10-12 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: removed commercial link
Old 09-10-12, 01:41 PM

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Scientologist or not, naturalnews.com is not a place to be getting any kind of health information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-10-12), meadd823 (10-19-12)
Old 09-21-12, 10:40 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to behold

It would be silly to pay for that game when there are many better games available for free. By the way, none of these games treat ADHD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainingstar View Post
For those of you who are interested and are willing to try, my friend actually just created an iPhone game targeted for kids with ADHD.
Old 10-19-12, 01:29 AM

Slybfoxx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
I agree about all the good things you think a person with ADD/ADHD should eat. But I would add removing artificial perservatives and colors.
There are lots of studies on this subject, they just don't have the financial backing of the pharmacudical industry.

Many of you have know about the recent Lancet study in Britain. They tested several artificial ingredients on kids with and without ADHD and found them to cause hyperactivity. Many supermarkets and big companies like cadbury are voluntarily removing these ingredients from their products. The government has not yet made any ruling.

I personally do not need a study to prove anything to me. I'm not waiting around like the 30 years it took scientists to say folic acid decreases birth defects. What good did that do the next 30 years after it was reccomended for those babies. All I need is the evidence that it has not lightly, but dramaticly improved our life at home now. A year ago I had an appointment to medicate myself (stress, depression from dealing) and I thought I would put my son on meds sometime this year. We are both med free and doing great! (fyi some do the diet and take a lower dose of meds)

I don't think there is an exact fit for everyone. For some it's meds, herbal remedies etc. I give parents credit for finding something that helps their child be happy and loved. You might have to kiss a few frogs before your kid turns into a prince.

I didn't think this diet would work. I did it because I was going through the motions of being a good mom. Boy was I surprized!
Excellent post. It is hard to read some of the posts in this thread, some of the pro-meds are disturbing, and dismissing other treatments out of hand because they lack "science". Let's take something simple like knee-pain in a 67 year old woman. Every time rain comes, she has pain in her knee. She can feel it. But, when she mentions this to her doctor, he says there is no science to prove such a claim can exist.

If you had to point to the ignorant person in the room, who would you point at?
Old 10-19-12, 01:55 AM

Slybfoxx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfriz View Post
Living with your son has little to do with the science of ADHD. ADHD is a neurobiological disorder that is mostly but not totally hereditary. None of the things you listed can affect the brain make up. There are a number of things that can mimic ADHD which can be "cured" with these remedies but as far a ADHD itself-they can have little effect on the underlying causes.

That is very good but if these "cured" your son then again he very likely was not ADHD in the first place for the reasons I gave above. How do these these things affect the makeup of the brain?

And I can say with 100% certainty that you cannot say the kid was "cured" by the methods listed. Again, what does knowing him have to do with the science of the disorder?

This is quite true and fits in with the scientific knowledge of ADHD.

Again I am glad it helped but how did these these things change his brain structure? We do know that Biofeedback helps some ADHD kids but the results are not permanent and there are many that it doesn't help.

I am stumped, I have never heard of acupuncture on the ear helping autistic spectrum disorders. Also do you mean that the treatment cannot be reversed or that the medical community says the disorder cannot be reversed? I am not clear on this.

I am sorry, could you rewrite this. I suspect you mean cannot be reversed. I cannot comment until I am sure of what you meant.

Oh what judgmental statements we use.

Right now, we have your opinion that these things helped your son. The problem is your trying to generalize this to others. We need just a little more than your opinion and one case.

Interesting concepts but needs more evidence. I must admit that treating ADHD by detoxifying colons is a new one on me.

Might I suggest you taking a look at the references listed at http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...14#post1099114

and bring yourself a bit more up to date on the current work on ADHD. From this, I think you will understand a little better what people are trying to tell you. You don't have to agree with that the sites say but you do need to be aware of what the current stance of science on ADHD. Knowledge is the key to dealing with this disorder.

Dizfriz
Kindly look at my previous post. Have you tried any of the more healthy or natural approaches such as the ones written about in this thread? Were you ever on the Feingold diet? Who would be the best judge of whether or not that diet worked on a child...or not then their parents? Please be much more clear about the current work being done on ADHD, because in another post you basically said you knew little about neurofeedback- but suddenly- in this thread you are all for it. It sounds like you are a big Barkley fan, why exactly?

I think getting advice on ADD/ADHD from someone who doesn't have it is like getting advice on marriage from a lifelong bachelor. I'd rather take flying lessons from a pilot then a guy under the hood fixing engines.
Old 10-19-12, 03:47 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,385 Times in 6,106 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slybfoxx View Post
Kindly look at my previous post. Have you tried any of the more healthy or natural approaches such as the ones written about in this thread? Were you ever on the Feingold diet? Who would be the best judge of whether or not that diet worked on a child...or not then their parents? Please be much more clear about the current work being done on ADHD, because in another post you basically said you knew little about neurofeedback- but suddenly- in this thread you are all for it. It sounds like you are a big Barkley fan, why exactly?

I think getting advice on ADD/ADHD from someone who doesn't have it is like getting advice on marriage from a lifelong bachelor. I'd rather take flying lessons from a pilot then a guy under the hood fixing engines.

I think dismissing some one because you do not think they have ADHD is especially inappropriate seeing as we are in the parental section and many of the parents here looking for support may not be ADHD themselves.

One does not have to be in a motor vehicle accident to know what one is when they see it - An ER doc does not need to have first hand information of what it is like to be in a crash to be capable of sewing the victims of one back together.

I find multiple perceptions presented in civilized respectful manner to the most productive for all concerned. Reading the various exchanges allows those following this discussion to see the topic from a variety of perceptions and come to their own conclusions.

I am NOT a Barkley fan and make no secret of it but I can extend a bit of courtesy to those who are and respect their contributions even if I disagree with them.

The thing I have yet to understand about any of these natural versus pharmaceutical treatments is the all or nothing approach that I find so common.

Few of us if any know the children's whose condition is being discussed, never mind know as much about them as their own parents I find it presumptuous when people pretend they do.

If a parent wants to try diet therapy or even neurofeedback for their child and they have the resources to do so no reason they shouldn't if that is what they feel to be in the best interest of their child.

If parents find that medication to be the best option then there is no reason why they shouldn't be supported for their decision.

Please do realize medical research is about treatment results as they apply to the whole population of ADDers - There are always exceptions to the rule. Most find ADHD medication beneficial but not every one will, some find special diets beneficial but not every one will -

Mileage may vary no matter which treatment is being used. So far no one has corned the market on the single unshakeable universal truth. I find it presumptuous when folks pretend they have.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

Last edited by meadd823; 10-19-12 at 04:03 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Amtram (10-19-12), Dizfriz (10-19-12), Luvmybully (10-20-12), LynneC (10-19-12)