ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-03, 09:41 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,064 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Post AD/HD and Hypersensitivity

There has been some interesting research done on AD/HD and Hypersensitivity. Items that were reviewed included Tags, Elastic, Clothing, Textures, Tastes, Allergens, temperatures, phobias and more.

Research Summary:
http://www.add.org/main/treatment/pollmj.htm

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 03-30-09, 12:39 AM

Judia will become famous soon enough
Re: AD/HD and Hypersensitivity

I'm ADHD and hyper sensitive. A LOT of the people I know with adhd are.

What research,though? You didn't say anything, just that there is...
Old 09-28-09, 09:39 PM

equilibrium will become famous soon enough

Link does not work anymore. fyi.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-09, 12:24 PM

Scheezo is on a distinguished road

WOW! I have lots of allergies and I moved to Florida because I just couldn't take the winters in Michigan. I'll have to research this subject more.
Old 04-15-10, 08:32 AM

kristenmickel is on a distinguished road

I love your post.... Hope has a superior time with you every one.
Old 04-20-10, 12:13 PM
Contributor

mike1w is just really nicemike1w is just really nicemike1w is just really nicemike1w is just really nice

I don't like to be touched. Of course that could also be due to childhood and adolescent sexual trauma.
Old 04-20-10, 12:33 PM
Contributor

krb388 is a jewel in the roughkrb388 is a jewel in the roughkrb388 is a jewel in the rough

I don't like to be touched either........

Also I have bad allergies, I hate the feel of a crunching onion in my mouth, Or chewing certain textures of meat. O my friend just showed me this video of pork chops and coke on you tube and I don''t think I will ever eat pork again. I really wish I didn't watch the screen. I did just hear that it can happen with any meat so maybe I will just look that up and stop eating meat. not likely or maybe for a week.
Old 04-20-10, 11:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quiescent has a spectacular aura aboutQuiescent has a spectacular aura about

I did not know about this. I guess this explains why my boyfriend is also pretty sensitive to his surroundings. Hmm...

- "There will always be something better out there, so if you want to wait for something better, you will always be waiting" - Me

- "Negative thoughts, words, and paths are only noise for the signal for our brains. Just like the Signal to Noise ratio is for sound devices, the more noise we have, the less signal we have." - Me
Old 04-21-10, 05:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Scooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud of

Oh yep, this is a biggie for me. I don't like to be touched either, but I don't have a history of sexual abuse. I find physical touch overwhelming, actually I get sensory overload really easily but physical touch is a biggie because I find it's considered 'weird' by other people.
I found this one of the hardest things growing up and still as an adult, other people just cannot grasp it and its such a big problem in relationships.
I would say touch and sound are my two biggest sensitivities.
I'm funny with clothes too, I like them old and comfy! I wear them to death before I move on to new ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooter77 For This Useful Post:
redsneakers (06-30-10)
Old 06-30-10, 10:41 PM
Jr Member

redsneakers will become famous soon enough

Holy crap ME TOO! It's very destructive in relationships. It can be perceived that you dont like the person. I never understood my aversion to being touched. I thought it was some sort of emotional problem. But it literally makes me want to scream, squirm, do anything to make it stop. I have found that certain types of touch bother me more than others. Im not a fan of being "fake hugged" light touches make me crazy. Holding hands makes me cringe. Unless its a solid hold or firm touch I absolutely hate it. As a child I wasnt touchy feely at all. Im still not. But I have learned how to tolerate it a little better. But if Im caught off gaurd it freaks me out. all my friends and family know that I dont like it. I has always been a sort of joke. I dont find it funny anymore. It bums me out. How do you explain to someone you are romantically involved with that you dont like to be touched? How do you explain to someone why you are flinching when they come too close?
I am sound sensitive too. I jump at the door being opened or closed. Sometimes a persons voice will send me over the edge. When I was a kid, loud noises were a serious issue.
I remember my mom taking the family to see fireworks. I stayed in the car with my fingers plunged in my ears the whole time. I hated it. It wasnt fear...I felt the sound. same with crossing a busy street. The sound of traffic scared the crap out of me.
As an adult I can hear things other people dont. Its like I zone in on the slightest sound instead of the obvious one.

Clothes not too bad...Unless they are bunchy or too tight.

I guess Im glad im not the only one. But it still sucks
The Following User Says Thank You to redsneakers For This Useful Post:
ana futura (04-24-12)
Old 11-24-11, 11:13 PM

Lea Ann is on a distinguished road

That describes me. Lots of things annoy me, as you mentioned, shirt tags, a stray hair, certain noises. Last night my neighbors dogs barked continuously from the time I got home from work until I went to bed. I was trying to study and concentrate. (I do not ever turn on the t.v. because it is too distracting) This dog barking literally drove me nuts! I couldn't focus on anything but them barking! It consumed my entire evening. =( Also, my socks irritate me throughout the day, and long sleeves are particularly annoying. I can't even get out the front door with sleeves on I end up turning back and changing before I leave the house. I have noticed that when I live alone I am much more organized and evenly tempered and more focused. I am married now and I can't seem to get anything organized!
Old 01-06-12, 02:34 PM

sammyscion is just really nicesammyscion is just really nicesammyscion is just really nicesammyscion is just really nice

I read about this and so identifies me. As a child I would cry about criticisim and cringe at stern looks. Now as an adult I tend to worry about what someone 'really' meant by a comment or look but at least I don't burst into tears anymore. That sensitivity has served well in being able to intuit unseen danger. However, the difficulty is knowing when it is accurate or just my 'over sensitivity.'
Old 04-20-12, 03:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ranmaru is on a distinguished road

I think I'm sensitive to smells. Especially sprays or just perfume. I hate it when my sister puts on her perfume IN THE DAMN CAR.

Also her singing annoys me...

I don't like it when I am touched. Especially when my mom pats me or something.

Also.... Maybe I am sensitive to touch. My girlfriend always manages to tickle me somehow by accident.

This is something I don't really think of too much though. Eh.
Old 04-24-12, 02:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,238 Times in 3,063 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I wish that link still worked.

Anyway me too! I'm very sensitive to food textures, I hate most perfumes, I hate the feeling of drying clay or dust on my hands, sock seams or tags in clothes drive me crazy, and I really disliked being caressed. Firm touch is okay, but soft light touch drives me up the wall. I've been that way since I was a child, I would yell at my mom not to touch me.
Old 04-24-12, 03:17 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,385 Times in 6,106 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Not the article in the original post but it does have a host of Reference Material for further investigation for those interested in specific areas.

I have hyper sensitive hearing which is actually measurably acute via sound proof audio booth testing. I have perfect pitch natually and woudl scream when ever an instrument was out of tune beginning at three months old continuing until this day.

I am also sensitive to food textures and tactile stimuli - I have to keep socks pinned together as to be sure any pair I wear has perfectly even elastic wear because if one is even slightly tighter than the other I can think if nothing else - NOTHING I own keeps it's tag - even the tag-less garments bother me when the iron on thing begins to wear because I can feel it peel - People wonder why I can't pay attention to stuff presented in staff meetings, conversations ect. .. . If they couldn't block out the texture of their garment the elastic on their under things, the sound of the over head lights humming, fizzing of a near by can of soda . . .. they wouldn't be able to focus either!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

Last edited by meadd823; 04-24-12 at 03:28 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
ana futura (04-24-12)