ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-06-06, 02:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

smileh1985 is on a distinguished road
A Few adderall questions

How long does it take adderall to start working? I'm going to be starting my first dose tomorrow and I'm just curious how long it takes.

Also, how will this drug make me feel if its working correctly?
How will I feel if its NOT working correctly?

I know these are questions that you can't really answer because you're not psychic but I was just curious what you people thought.
Old 04-06-06, 03:10 PM
Jr Member

groovymcawesome is on a distinguished road
I just asked a similar question and haven't heard a response yet. I've been on it for about 2 weeks and really haven't noticed any huge changes, but I'm wondering if it takes a while to kick in.

I started at 10mg and slowly upped it to 40. I've experimented with times I take it too. I'll keep on it for a bit, but my doctor said we'd try something else in a few weeks if it doesn't improve. Probably concerta. I'm inattentive, but not hyperactive.

Does anyone know how long it'll take to tell if it's working or not?

Thanks.
Old 04-06-06, 03:10 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

runinl8 will become famous soon enough
I was told that you should feel something in about 30 min. It usually took me about 45 min. As far as how it will make you feel...I can't answer that 'cause everyone is different.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-06, 03:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

barbyma has disabled reputation
Everyone is different and for some the change isn't very dramatic. A lot depends on how impaired you are at the time.

When I started taking it, I was in pretty bad shape. I noticed a huge difference immediately. By day 2, life was exciting again.

There isn't any particular way you should feel; you won't really know how well it's working until you've been on it a few weeks. If it "works" right away, that doesn't mean you won't experience either side-effects or adjustments during the first few weeks.

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 04-07-06, 04:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

panthoot is on a distinguished road
I did not feel it for weeks. Even then, I did not actually "feel" any different. I only realized it was working after noticing a few days had gone by where I got everything I'd hoped to done on time. I did not think it was working for almost a month.
Old 04-07-06, 01:05 PM

Shelle0812 is on a distinguished road
I think it's different for everyone but when I take my meds, I feel like my head is on straight, and I have more confidence in myself to do and say the things I need to. You shouldn't feel "high" or "out of control" or "drugged"....at least that's my experience.
Old 04-07-06, 03:06 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about
You shouldn't feel carried away by the drug, really jittery, nervous, sick, itchy, etc. Some people gets headaches or upset tummy. I strongly suggest eating before you take it.

Concerta made me sick as a dog. Adderall annoys my tummy a tad but that's about it. It was slightly surreal the first day but that's because I've never felt "normal" before. Now I just feel good.
Old 04-11-06, 07:01 PM

Brandy has disabled reputation
When I take my med., I am alot easier to get along with, when I do not take it my mom says I am like a walking time bomb, ready to explode! It also helps me get motivated and I function alot better! It usually takes about 20 mins. for me to feel it. But I never get high or buzzed like alot of addicts talk about! It just makes me feel better!
brandy76 (07-16-14), Hyperman87 (06-16-11), Josh77 (11-08-12)
Old 04-12-06, 04:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

tinkerbelle is on a distinguished road
I can feel it kick in about 45 mins after I take it. I feel an increase in hearbeat at first, then I just feel like I have woken up and am aware of the world around me instead of in a fog.

I also notice that little things dont bother me as much, like random noises.
Old 04-17-06, 01:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sun2707 is on a distinguished road
I also feel like I just woken up after I took my dose of adderall XR 20mg and I don't feel my usual foggy self. I don't feel high or drug, I just feel that I'm at my best, I got more motivation and energy. I also realise that when I have a cold my daily dose of adderall doesn't work. Many things can make my daily dose don't work, like what I eat or drink, orange juice and fatty meal decrease the effect of my dose of adderall, if I sleep too much the night before or didn't sleep enough may decrease the effect of the adderall. My daily dose of adderall XR 20mg will start to kick around 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours later after I took my capsule but sometimes it may kick in earlier then that or later then 90 mins, it depend on many things, I know few factors that may decrease my adderall but I'm don't know all of them, I'm still searching for the other factors. I'm keeping track each day, I wrote down if today my dose of adderall had work or not, when my dose of adderall had start to kick in and how long it last, what I eat and drink, if it's seem to deacrease or increase my daily dose of adderall? I been on adderall XR 20mg for a few months now and I still don't know all the factors that may deacrease or increase my daily dose of adderall XR, it's still vary and each days can be different.

I got some informations about adderall XR on a paper but I don't understand few things on it, like the Pharmacokinetic of ADDERALL XR, they show us a graphic about how long it can take to reach maximum plasma concentration (Tmax) for ADDERALL and ADDERALL XR but I don't understand the graphic, on the bottom vertical line it the TIME (HOURS) and it's written 0, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24 and on the horizontal line it's written MEAN PLASMA CONCENTRATIONS OF DEXTRO AND LEVOAMPHETAMINE (ng/mL) from 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30. They said the time to reach maximum plasma concentration (Tmax) for ADDERALL XR is about 7 hours, which is about 4 hours longer compared to ADDERALL (immediate-release). This is consistent with the extended-release nature of the product. So do this mean it take up to 7 hours to reach the full of effect of ADDERALL XR or the effect of ADDERALL XR last up to 7 hours? What mean DEXTROAMPHETAMINE and LEVOAMPHETAMINE? I know each capsule of adderall xr contains Dextroamphetamine Saccharate and Dextroamphetamine Sulfate USP but that's the only thing I know about Dextroamphetamine. I also been told that we need to take adderall XR daily and with time the effect of the adderall will become more consistent and will work more, I thought the effect of adderall XR decrease after a while, if I take my daily dose of adderall do the effect of it will increase or decrease with time? They said the mean elimation for adderall XR is 13 hours, do this mean the effect of adderall last up to 13 hours? If anyone know more about this I will really appreciate if you let me know? Hopefully someone would reply soon.
Old 04-17-06, 01:42 AM

PlainlyOrdinary has disabled reputation
i have only taken the immediate release version of adderall. in my experience: if swallowed-aprox 25 minutes; if chewed first, then swallowed-aprox 15 minutes.

when dealing with a full stomach, i often found that it'd take closer to 30-45 minutes. everyone has a different rate of metabolism, but the figures i just gave you are probably pretty common.
Old 08-16-06, 10:27 PM

jeneez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelle
I can feel it kick in about 45 mins after I take it. I feel an increase in hearbeat at first, then I just feel like I have woken up and am aware of the world around me instead of in a fog.

I also notice that little things dont bother me as much, like random noises.
This has been my 2nd day of taking Adderall and it takes me about 15 minutes to feel the effects. It doesn't make me feel high or anything like that. I actually feel very calm and less stressed. I feel like I can concentrate more and feel like I get more done than I used to. Also, I have less thoughts come in and out of my head and distracting me. I do feel more self-confident and I can actually start and hold a conversion now!! I feel energized too!!
Old 08-17-06, 07:06 AM
Jr Member

amphetamine78 is on a distinguished road
You will feel a strong intense feeling of euphoria. Followed by a mellow calming affect.
Old 08-18-06, 02:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

barbyma has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphetamine78
You will feel a strong intense feeling of euphoria. Followed by a mellow calming affect.
?

Not neccessarily. Everyone's responses are different. Intense euphoria isn't common, for example. Most people feel a great sense of relief when they realize that it's working, but euphoria is limited or even absent for the majority.

The OP is dated April, but for anyone reading this with the same question, it's really difficult to say how you'll feel, but most people experience dramatic effects within an hour of taking their first dose.

Barb

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 11-21-06, 10:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

JustinL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphetamine78
I wouldnt call it an "intense" euphoria....usually though, its kind of like a mild rush of awareness and I am put into a better mood. I feel more alive, and then I agree with the mellowing, calming effect...that happens within an hour or so.

And I just feel content, and focused. Not so scattered like when Im off of the medication.