ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Learning Disabilities (LD)
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-08, 10:51 PM
Jr Member

strike333 is on a distinguished road
Re: A MUST READ!!! Top Five Emotional Difficulties of Adults with LD

how to deal with this Mixed receptive-expressive language disorder? My doctor said to go out in social situations with determination to learn. Is there a better way to do it? medication? techniques? etc..

how does speech therapy help with this condition?

Thanks,

I pray that we all can overcome this problem.
Old 10-03-08, 01:01 AM

dorian_deficit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am 30 years old and still attend college. I have been called "immature" and "retarded" by people on the internet. I have had to not work while studying and have had people tell me that I should stop wasting the government's money and get a job and stop pursing my art degree. Art was what got me through some of my trials and tribulations. I do not understand how someone can just get behind a keyboard and totally be allowed to tell someone how awful they must feel and not be reprimanded for it. That's why I like this site so much, you guys really do a good job at making this a community.
First n foremost, I admire you for pursuing what inspires you! I'm comorbid Bp/Add too, and I know the neccessity of having that available outlet (often creative) to steer you through the trying times of this kind of dual Dx.

And well.. there's no reprimanding when you type ******* comments about another person behind a computer screen; it's unfortunate but simply just the case-- too much anonymity involved to make some people care enough about what they write.

Next time, remember:

"Immature"-- synonymous in my wordpicnicfiles with "lighthearted," or "one who has effortlessly managed to maintain zeal and sense of youth."

"Retarted"-- anyone who includes this word as part of their vocabulary is clearly an inanimate object themselves.. or should be, anyways.
Old 02-19-09, 03:33 AM
Jr Member

compart23 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Top Five Emotional Difficulties of Adults with LD

I think i will copy this and paste it into my facebook page so my freinds can better understand what i've tried to explain but can never put it together right.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-09, 05:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

thanksss addi for posting this threde very nicely put and lesson for us all to watch and leren toghterrr on the path we walk in life x

dorm
Old 03-22-09, 09:12 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I've discovered learning disabilities are defined differently in the UK. In the US, a learning disability is something like dyslexia, in the UK, it's defined more as mentally handicapped as in Down's syndrome so just be careful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marspider For This Useful Post:
dormammau2008 (03-22-09)
Old 03-22-09, 10:17 AM

Thanked 25,450 Times in 11,835 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Da Da View Post
I have Attention Deficit Disorder and bi-polar and Identified with a lot of this (except dyslexia. I never have had too much trouble with reading. Is there such a thing as Math dyslexia?)

>>
Yeah, there is. It's called Dyscalculia. I was an accelerated reader - when my older brother would bring home his new school books each fall I would devour them. Wasn't long until I was reading some of my mom's old college books (especially enjoyed Greek myths). But my grades in math were inconsistent. It wasn't until I began bowling in high school that something finally clicked in my head and I could understand how to do math. I still have an awful time with phone numbers or writing down an address and mix the numbers up. I've called sooo many wrong numbers that I just love having a cell phone that automatically dials the phone number for me!

My granddaughter is just like I was when I was her age, and she can't keep track of whose turn it is when playing board games and such. I didn't realize some of these were related to dyscalculia - but I can check off every one of these symptoms.

Quote:
Normal or accelerated language acquisition: verbal, reading, writing. Poetic ability. Good visual memory for the printed word. Good in the areas of science (until a level requiring higher math skills is reached), geometry (figures with logic not formulas), and creative arts.

Difficulty with the abstract concepts of time and direction. Inability to recall schedules, and the sequences of past or future events. Unable to keep track of time. May be chronically late.

Mistaken recollection of names. Poor name/face retrieval. Substitute names beginning with same letter.

Inconsistent results in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Poor mental math ability. Poor with money and credit. Cannot do financial planning or budgeting. Checkbooks not balanced. Short term, not long term financial thinking. Fails to see big financial picture. May have fear of money and cash transactions. May be unable to mentally figure change due back, the amounts to pay for tips, taxes, etc.

When writing, reading and recalling numbers, these common mistakes occur:
number additions, substitutions, transpositions, omissions, and reversals.

Inability to grasp and remember math concepts, rules, formulas, sequence (order of operations), and basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts.

Poor long term memory (retention & retrieval) of concept mastery- may be able to perform math operations one day, but draw a blank the next! May be able to do book work but fails all tests and quizzes.

May be unable to comprehend or "picture" mechanical processes. Lacks "big picture/ whole picture" thinking. Poor ability to "visualize or picture" the location of the numbers on the face of a clock, the geographical locations of states, countries, oceans, streets, etc.

Poor memory for the "layout" of things. Gets lost or disoriented easily. May have a poor sense of direction, may lose things often, and seem absent minded. (Remember the absent minded professor?)

May have difficulty grasping concepts of formal music education. Difficulty sight-reading music, learning fingering to play an instrument, etc.

May have poor athletic coordination, difficulty keeping up with rapidly changing physical directions like in aerobic, dance, and exercise classes. Difficulty remembering dance step sequences, rules for playing sports.

Difficulty keeping score during games, or difficulty remembering how to keep score in games, like bowling, etc. Often loses track of whose turn it is during games, like cards and board games. Limited strategic planning ability for games, like chess.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 03-22-09, 10:05 PM

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

By the way, I've discovered learning disabilities are defined differently in the UK. In the US, a learning disability is something like dyslexia, in the UK, it's defined more as mentally handicapped as in Down's syndrome so just be careful.

a mental handcape thats a new one to me???? where dse it say that if i may ask never though id be though an haveing a mental illness

???????????????
dorm
Old 03-26-09, 05:41 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormammau2008 View Post

a mental handcape thats a new one to me???? where dse it say that if i may ask never though id be though an haveing a mental illness

???????????????
dorm
I moved to the UK last year. I told someone I had a learning disability and they looked me at oddly. I didn't cotton on till months afterward I read a story about a man with a learning disability who set off a bomb in a restaurant. It said he had a mental age of 10, I remember wondering why having dyslexia or similar would make you have a mental age of 10 cause that's generally for people with normal intelligence (not that people with lower intelligence can't have dyslexia too).
The story http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...ffset=0&page=1

Learning disability in the UK
http://www.mencap.org.uk/page.asp?id=1684

Type learning disability on Google US, and you get results like dyslexia etc, on wikipedia, it says learning disability is not indicative of low intelligence etc.

Type learning disability on Google.co.uk and you get stuff like Down's syndrome etc. on the Mencap page, it says learning disability is not mental illness or dyslexia.

Confusing isn't it? And I haven't seen anyone on any websites actually highlighting the UK and US differences of the term. And it's A BIG DIFFERENCE. Surely I can't be the only one who's noticed.
Old 09-19-09, 09:18 AM
Forum Guru

Logic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to all

I'll apologise in advance for being finicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi View Post
Myth #6: Adults with learning disabilities cannot succeed in higher education.

Fact: More and more adults with learning disabilities are going to college or university and succeeding (Gerber and Reiff 1994). With the proper accommodations and support, adults with learning disabilities can be successful at higher education.
I know that this is an old thread, but the part of me that likes to correct other people's spelling and grammar just can't let that bit lie... sorry

Shouldn't it read: Adults with learning disabilities can succeed in higher education?
That way, the fact statement makes sense and isn't a contradiction in terms.

I'm sure everybody read it like that anyway, but I want to do other stuff today, and if I didn't 'bring it up' by posting on it, then I'd never get anything else done, because I'd be thinking about it constantly!

Logic
Old 09-19-09, 11:23 AM

Thanked 25,450 Times in 11,835 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic View Post

I know that this is an old thread, but the part of me that likes to correct other people's spelling and grammar just can't let that bit lie... sorry

Shouldn't it read: Adults with learning disabilities can succeed in higher education?

I'm sure everybody read it like that anyway, but I want to do other stuff today, and if I didn't 'bring it up' by posting on it, then I'd never get anything else done, because I'd be thinking about it constantly!

Logic
The fact statement is supposed to contradict the myth statement. Yes?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 09-19-09, 11:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Kiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic View Post

Logic
The FACT is disputing the MYTH......the false statement that adults with LD cannot succeed. If they agreed there would be no contradiction....nothing to correct in the myth.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. ~ Oscar Wilde
Old 09-19-09, 12:13 PM
Forum Guru

Logic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to all

I see where you're coming from, I processed the syntax in the text differently (in my head) and decided that it read wrong.

I've gone back and re-read the text to discover a 50/50 discrepancy in how the 'fact' either disputes or supports the 'myth', so yes I was right in my assumption that the majority of people that read it, will read it as it was originally intended - to dispute the 'myth'.

I generaly like my facts to agree with statements, and not dispute them, but that's my personal preference. Like I said in my original post, I apologised in advance for being finicky (knowing that some one somewhere would disagree as we all process information differently).

Logic
Old 09-20-09, 09:16 PM
Contributor

Infinity is a jewel in the roughInfinity is a jewel in the roughInfinity is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~boots~ View Post
Great post Andi..I even managed to read half of it nearly :-)
I'll print it off
LOL!!!! me too.

Im jumping to the end of the line from here.

I have since joinign this forum come to see I have dyslexia. And it was two posters who mentioned it that got me to begin paying attention to my spelling errors and I see I flip letters constantly .
And when I write down telephone numbers I flip the numbers.

I thought I was just not remebering . not so . Im flipping them

I also have to have thigs repeated time and again on the phone. directions names and numbers.

I have not been tested.

And this may be why I have such poor grammer . the only way I have been able to write anything is creatively . where structure is more lenient.

Im trying to find out how to get tested ..
any body know how to get tested, whats involved?

I was not tested for dyslexia whne I took tests for ADHD.

Infinity~
Old 09-20-09, 11:04 PM
Forum Guru

Prusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to behold

I've been wondering about LDs and me...like a lot of other things.

I can recognize all the feelings in Andi's post, but...I did great in school, at least in general. My math skills and "speed" were nothing to cheer for, but not much below average either. I could read and write pretty well before I started school, and during certain times in my life I pretty much plowed through literature. One or two fiction books a day wasn't rare for me. I just couldn't let them go. Everything else than the book I was "inside" were nuissances, sometimes still are, I still do it.
I now know it's called hyperfocussing and that that ability has "saved my life" every once in a while. Terrible random thing, that...

Still, I'm not really sure that ADD alone could have screwed me up so much all alone.
I just have no idea how to get checked out for LDs and other sidedishes, how they are seperated, and if anything else can be done if I turn out to have some problem areas apart from the ADD. If knowing would give me newfound knowledge that I could use to really chance the circumstances in my life, I'd like to know.
If it's "just another stamp on the butt" for the sake of collector's mania, I don't need it. Actually, there's no place left. I lost some weight over the past year.

I'm done playing "Pick a card, any card" when people ask what's wrong with me, why I'm on disability..."You seem so normal to me!"

Yeah, I clean up pretty nice.
I look alright.
But I feel all wrong.

"...and the drugs don't work, they just make you worse..." (The Verve)
applies to me too...getting my potential LDs assessed and confirmed...is it possible it'll have a lifechanging effect if I find out, or are chances that it'll just be yet another dx for the long list of "gifts" I didn't wish for...?

It's a nice post, Andi, even if I am too tired right now to appreciate that it brought possible assessment for LDs and some other conditions up in my brain again.
I've been burying it a bit. Kind of scared of the: "Now you know...not that it matters one bit, you're still as ****ed as ever" direction things might take.

Does anyone by any chance have a link that explains the differential dx thingy for ADD vs. LDs...how to tell the difference, how to rule out one or the other...?
Unmanagable (06-23-11)
Old 09-21-09, 11:00 AM
Contributor

Infinity is a jewel in the roughInfinity is a jewel in the roughInfinity is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusilusken View Post
sure that ADD alone could have screwed me up so much all alone.
I just have no idea how to get checked out for LDs and other sidedishes, how they are seperated, and if anything else can be done if I turn out to have some problem areas apart from the ADD. If knowing would give me newfound knowledge that I could use to really chance the circumstances in my life, I'd like to know.

Does anyone by any chance have a link that explains the differential dx thingy for ADD vs. LDs...how to tell the difference, how to rule out one or the other...?
I don't know how they rule out adhd from dye slex ea .

I just googled adults and dyslexia and read there is more than just dyslexia . a neuro phychologist does the testing through inteligence tests and sequencing type testing.

i was not tested for dyslexia Im fairly certain .

I remember writing a parody about a woman writing in to about.com asking a question about left and right i wish i had a copy of it i felt pretty ackward doing it . had no clue at that time I may have both adhd and dyslexia . I just was not understood well told I was disocitive on line and was a poor speller .

I remenber using my pointer dog writing in as the woman
asking " why is it that when I hear or see a bird I end up with a ground hog in my muzzel ? "

I googled dyslexia baout.com

and found this..

http://www.moshe-szweizer.com/fun/miscellaneous1.htm

at least I do noy feel so all alone..

let your learning disability show.....

LD pride walk ... or is it pride talk...

Infinity

His idaes of first-aid stopped short of squirting soda water. -- P.G. Wodehouse

Human cardiac catheterization was introduced by Werner Forssman in 1929. Ignoring ihs deptartment chief, anbd tying his assistent to an operating table to prevent ehr interference, hge placed a ureteral catheter into a vein in ihs arm, advanced it tothe right atrium [of his heart], and walked upstairs tothe x-ray deptartment wherre hge took tyhe confirmatory x-ray film. In 1956, Dr. Forssman was awarded tyhe Nobel Prize.

I get myu excercise acting as pallbearer to my freinds woh exercise. -- Chauncey Depew

I got tyhe bill for myu surgery. Now I nkow whta thsoe doctors were wearing masks for. -- James Boren

"I keep seeing spots in front of myu eyes." "Did yuo ever see a doctor?" "No, jsut spots."

If a person (a) is poorly, (b) receives treatment intended to mkae him better, and (c) gets better, thne no pwoer of reasoning konwn to medical science can convince him tyhat it may not havebeen tyhe treatment that restored ihs health. -- Sir Peter Medawar, "The Art ofthe Soluble"

If I kiss you, tyhat is an psychological interaction. On tyhe otehr hand, if I hit yuo overthe head witha brick, that is also a psychological interaction. The differance is tyhat one is freindly andthe otehr is not so friendly. The crucial point is if yuo cxan tell wihch is which. -- Dolph Sharp, "I'm O.K., You're Not So Hot"

If yuo look liuke yuor driver's lisense photo -- see a doctor. If yuo look liuke yuor passport photo -- it's too late fora doctor.

It is vrey vulgar to talk liuke a dentist wehn one isn't a dentist. It produces a false impression. -- Oscar Wilde.

The Following User Says Thank You to Infinity For This Useful Post:
Prusilusken (09-21-09)