ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Learning Disabilities (LD)
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-09, 09:22 PM
Contributor

ADHDKylee is a jewel in the roughADHDKylee is a jewel in the roughADHDKylee is a jewel in the rough
Re: A MUST READ!!! Top Five Emotional Difficulties of Adults with LD

Hm.. Interesting. I have a Specific Learning Disability of Mathematics and Social and Perceptual NVLD. That's all very true. I actually have above average verbal intelligence even though I'm "learning disabled" A lot of people think the wrong things about learning disabilities. It doesn't mean you are stupid or have below average intelligence (although in some learning disabilities it can mean that in a specific area), it just means you learn in a different way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADHDKylee For This Useful Post:
mimi'sdreaming (12-29-10), Unmanagable (06-23-11)
Old 01-25-10, 11:36 AM
Jr Member

bhweller is on a distinguished road

just remember that Richard Branson and lots other people have had wild success. many successfull people are totally undiagnosed but they adapted. The only shame would be walking around telling people and expecting the average ******* to be nice about it. Accept it yourself, but don't be a martyr or expect good behavior from the average talking monkey that you will meet. Most ADHD people I meet have well above average intelligence, creativity, and emotional sensitivity, and that essentially makes them aliens in most cultures.
Old 02-21-10, 05:39 PM

cbnj is on a distinguished road

Good points bhweller! Branson is definitely a character...wouldn't mind a trip to Necker Island!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-10, 10:47 PM

supergirl79 is on a distinguished road

[quote=ADHDKylee;806265]Hm.. Interesting. I have a Specific Learning Disability of Mathematics and Social and Perceptual NVLD. That's all very true. I actually have above average verbal intelligence even though I'm "learning disabled" A lot of people think the wrong things about learning disabilities. It doesn't mean you are stupid or have below average intelligence (although in some learning disabilities it can mean thatth

I would love to chat with you sometime. I am for sure that I have some kind of math disability that is keeping me from finishing college. I can ace it all but fail math over and over. I was wondering if there was a way I could get some testing done or help for college?
Old 05-01-10, 07:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

In school I had a maths LD and a reading LD. I could not even write the way I write these days. My punctuation and comprehension was pretty low. Even in college I couldn't comprehend the large bodies of text I had to study, unless I re-read them again and again.

I still cannot do math above year 6 level. It's not that bad, seeing as I don't have to go to school or college anymore and my friends don't give me grief about it.

Funny how if you can't draw you don't have an art LD and I was an exceptional artist at such a young age. Of course they never graded me on it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (09-09-12), mimi'sdreaming (12-29-10), zannie (12-13-10)
Old 05-20-10, 11:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold

Don't have the attention span or the will to read all of the posts, another part is that we dyslexics have and abnormally high or low pain threshold.

aixelsyD out.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
The Following User Says Thank You to Werl For This Useful Post:
zannie (12-13-10)
Old 06-06-10, 11:50 PM
Jr Member

AmberMommyof2girls is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: A MUST READ!!! Top Five Emotional Difficulties of Adults with LD

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Wish I could have taken this to school with me many years ago.
I agree. This for me was always hard to explain to people. Friends just didn't understand how i could be in AP classes for some subjects and be so far behind in other subjects. I have ADHD and a processing disorder. This would have made my life so much easier to just hand to them and say here read this.
Amber
Old 08-09-10, 04:29 PM

Appel has a spectacular aura aboutAppel has a spectacular aura about

For what it's worth, I can certainly read just fine and retain some of the subject, not as much as often required. I find discussing the subject matter, or doing hands-on experiments is how I really learn, then the subject is just plain more interesting and engaging more parts of your brain.

-Appel
Old 11-05-10, 11:22 PM
Contributor

AlexaN is a jewel in the roughAlexaN is a jewel in the roughAlexaN is a jewel in the rough

Myth #2

Learning disabilities are just an excuse for irresponsible, unmotivated or lazy people.

Fact

Learning disabilities are caused by neurological impairments not character flaws. In fact, the National Information Centre for Adults and Youth with Disabilities makes a point of saying that people with learning disabilities are not lazy or unmotivated (NICHCY , 2002).

Gosh, this is how i spent high school:
"You are lazy! You are not trying hard enough".
"You can but you're too lazy to sit and learn for hours!"

I had problems with Math.
I was just not getting it!
It was like chinese for me.

and I am a daughter of a Ph.D Math Professor...

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexaN For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (06-23-11)
Old 11-06-10, 05:39 AM
Jr Member

CrazyAndStrange is on a distinguished road

Hello

I know this myths quite good because of my own experiences....
Often I thought about myself that I might be lazy because often it feels like lazyness.
But it is more a kind of helplessness and being stuck in my own world with a few intense interests.And I often can`t stop it so easily.

I also got problems with maths when I was a teenager,I had a chaotic lifestyle, always forgetting my things and being inattentive when it was too much boring theory.

When I was in primary school I hadn`t got many problems because I was a good pupil, but teachers often said that I am very chaotic and hyperactive and once my teacher tipped out my schoolbag...
Old 12-13-10, 11:26 AM

Thanked 1,358 Times in 814 Posts
zannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werl View Post
Don't have the attention span or the will to read all of the posts, another part is that we dyslexics have and abnormally high or low pain threshold.

aixelsyD out.
That is very interesting. Where could i find more info about that.
Old 12-13-10, 11:34 AM

Thanked 1,358 Times in 814 Posts
zannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
In school I had a maths LD and a reading LD. I could not even write the way I write these days. My punctuation and comprehension was pretty low. Even in college I couldn't comprehend the large bodies of text I had to study, unless I re-read them again and again.

I still cannot do math above year 6 level. It's not that bad, seeing as I don't have to go to school or college anymore and my friends don't give me grief about it.

Quote:
Funny how if you can't draw you don't have an art LD and I was an exceptional artist at such a young age. Of course they never graded me on it.
That is an excellent point!!!

I have met a few people with LD that are fantastic artists although I am not one of them.
Old 12-29-10, 05:07 PM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDKylee View Post
Hm.. Interesting. I have a Specific Learning Disability of Mathematics and Social and Perceptual NVLD. That's all very true. I actually have above average verbal intelligence even though I'm "learning disabled" A lot of people think the wrong things about learning disabilities. It doesn't mean you are stupid or have below average intelligence (although in some learning disabilities it can mean that in a specific area), it just means you learn in a different way.
I've always been told that to have an actual learning disability, you have to have average to above average intelligence (on an IQ test).

You are so right that many people think the wrong thing about learning disabilities. I just had this conversation with a friend whose very bright son most likely has dysgraphia, but she just can't grasp it.

Update: I just read the full orignal post and saw that it is a fact!

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
Old 01-02-11, 07:55 AM

Derek_ will become famous soon enough

If it wasnt for the fact that the public school system had me in LD classes part time, mind you I was yanked out of my regular classes "TIME FOR LD" and I asked "what does LD mean"? and the fellow student replied "Learning Disabled"

Reading this post has just made me realize how perhaps I'm more emotionally scarred than before and now being just reminded of the mental torment I lived through growing up has just brought this "hard ***" adult to tears.

Its a VERY lonely feeling to where even others whom may be Bi Polar or Manic Depressive fail to understand.

I'm only 29yrs old and the thought of being alive for another several decades scares me knowing that this torment is going to be with me as everyone tries to convince me how ******* funny my torment is to them.
Old 07-25-11, 05:21 PM

aystro will become famous soon enough

since this is the only thread on LD here I expected some tips on management or the 'subtypes" ( if that exists? ). This is a fairly useful Q& A though.