ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 04-26-06, 02:10 AM

danceswthnobody is on a distinguished road
Is it legal to snort your own prescription?

Before someone lays into me about this, let me say that I am NOT going to be snorting anything! I tried snorting something once when I was a teenager and learned the hard way not to do it again!!!

This is simply an intellectual question that came up when I was discussing meds with a friend of mine who also takes Adderall (he claims he has ADD, but he also tells me he really wanted Adderall after reading about up-and-coming execs using it to increase performance in DETAILS magazine).
Is it illegal to snort your own prescription? My bottle reads "Take one tablet twice daily". It doesn't specify take orally.

Anyone know the answer?

"Beauty fades...Dumb is forever!"- Judge Judy Scheindlin

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade...then find someone who life gave vodka and have a party." - Ron White
Old 04-26-06, 02:16 AM

splendid4 is on a distinguished road
I don't think it's illegal myself. I just don't think it would feel too great. I can only think of cold remedies stating to "snort" salt water to clean out your sinuses. That's not illegal so I woudln't think snorting your prescription should be either. This is the first thread I've read on here. Very thought provoking. lol, good luck!
Old 04-26-06, 02:33 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

stanzen has a spectacular aura aboutstanzen has a spectacular aura about
Ask a silly question!

Drugs are tested, classified and prescribed by medication content and by delivery system.

If you violate the delivery system you violate the law, especially with a schedule II drug.

As an intellectual curiosity, tell your prescribing doc you've been snorting your meds! Then laugh and say you were only kidding.

Dr. Pangloss: "There is a concatenation of all events in the best of possible worlds . . ."

"Excellently observed," answered Candide; "but let us cultivate our garden."

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-06, 05:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

jonquiljo is on a distinguished road
I think you can stick your prescription up any orifice you so desire - as long as its your prescription and not someone elses. At least its that way in California.

Last I loooked, we had laws - but this country isn't Nazi germany yet!
Old 04-26-06, 05:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,164 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold
If we can crush and sprinkle on sauce, why can't we crush and snort??

CHINESE PROVERB
Old 04-26-06, 08:44 AM

scuro has disabled reputation
Snorting a stimulant over a short order of time will lead to addiction. As President Clinton would surely say about this topic, "it's the delivery system, stupid". Snorting puts the drug in your brain in fractions of a second and creates the high and crash of addiction. Try shooting alcohol straight into your neck and see if the delivery system doesn't totally change what that drug does. Glue sniffing also creates that rush. Ingest glue and no high.
Old 04-26-06, 09:04 AM

Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,164 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuro
. Glue sniffing also creates that rush. Ingest glue and no high.
LOL...I know it's not funny, but *what* will happen to the glue if we do swallow it?? it is a strange, yet rather amusing idea..LOL..we we get bunged up? Or will we just get sick? no..don't worry, I won't try it...

CHINESE PROVERB
Old 04-26-06, 03:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

DianeS will become famous soon enough
I think the answer to your question lies in the big sheet of information that is probably stuffed in the bag with your prescription, and that most people never read.

I dug out my husband's when he first started taking Adderall, and it was very explicit. Had information on taking it, whether he needed food at the same time or not, to avoid alcohol, etc. All sorts of stuff.

And I'm pretty sure it contained the warning that it was illegal to take the medication "in a manner inconsistent with its labeling" which I see on just about everything nowadays. You just have to read the BIG sheet of information to learn how it's supposed to be taken, it doesn't always say those details on the bottle itself.
Old 04-26-06, 07:50 PM

Shielded is on a distinguished road
People who don't have ADD can snort a 25mg instant release adderall and the effects are similar to cocaine. College students enjoy it and refer to it as "poor man's cocaine."

If you have ADD/ADHD, the high just hits you a bit more and lasts shorter.

And no, it's not legal to do this, and not even WORTH it.
Old 04-26-06, 07:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ms_sunshine has a spectacular aura aboutms_sunshine has a spectacular aura about
Is it legal to snort your own prescription?

No. It is drug abuse, and illegal.
Old 04-27-06, 06:32 PM

PlainlyOrdinary has disabled reputation
i would discourage abusing your meds, it can set aspin your brain chemistry and keep it confused. and using prescription drugs for a high will alost definitely lead to addiction. but i can't really see any law governing HOW you take your meds AFTER BEING LEGALLY PRESCRIBED THEM. i mean abusing drugs is illegal, but taking a dosage of a legally prescribed drug in nonaccordance with the label is something that couldn't be enforced. too many variables.

i have been prescribed medication on inumerable situations where the prescribing doctor altered the dosing instructions. so using the medication contrary to the labels use, so long as you do not give the drug to anyone not prescribed it, doesn't seem like it could be a crime.

having said that, i find it quite frankly orwellian that governments tell people what they can and can't put into their own body.
Old 04-27-06, 06:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

Tater is on a distinguished road
Good question- i think that its illegal to do it, i think it specifies to orally take it- and has been said before, depending on what you do depends on how the drug effects you- so probably not legal.

In the black, There is some white; In the wrong, There is some right; In the dark,There is some light; In the blind,There is some sight.
-Abhinyana

After observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
-Buddha
Old 04-27-06, 08:57 PM
Forum Guru

Hyperion has a spectacular aura aboutHyperion has a spectacular aura about
well the truth is that no one is likely to see or catch you, so you'd be unlikely to be arrested.

However, it should be mentioned that pills, tablets, or capsules are designed to be swallowed orally. They often contain ingredients which are perfectly safe in your GI tract, but which can cause serious health problems if snorted. Specifically, many of them are not water soluble and can clog up your sinuses, resulting in improper mucus drainage that can lead to infection. If they get to your lungs, they can cause all sort of problems in terms of cutting, tearing, and damaging the alvioli in your lungs, and clogging them up because they are insoluble in water and cannot be cleared.

Plus, there's a good chance that you wouldn't even feel any effects. A 10mg pill would contain 10mg of active ingredient in several grams of inert material. Most of the inert material would most likely clog the sinus lining of your nose, preventing the tiny amount of active ingredient from absorbing. Any effect you received would most likely be due to material that dripped down the back of the throat and was absorbed in the GI tract anyways.

So just go ahead and swallow your pills, it's how they were meant to be taken.

Oh, and it goes without saying that you should never inject a pill, doing so could kill you.
Old 04-29-06, 02:48 AM

I ate paste in kindergarten....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyhaddb
LOL...I know it's not funny, but *what* will happen to the glue if we do swallow it?? it is a strange, yet rather amusing idea..LOL..we we get bunged up? Or will we just get sick? no..don't worry, I won't try it...
I used to always sneak the paste to a corner and eat it...I guess that might explain a lot!

Seriously, it is an intellectual curiousity. I can't even stand saline spray in my nose, it hurts and makes me sneeze like crazy. I can only imagine something like Adderall would hurt like crap!

Besides, it works great going down with a Diet Coke.

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade...then find someone who life gave vodka and have a party." - Ron White
Old 04-29-06, 02:51 AM

I couldn't even imagine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion
well the truth is that no one is likely to see or catch you, so you'd be unlikely to be arrested.

However, it should be mentioned that pills, tablets, or capsules are designed to be swallowed orally. They often contain ingredients which are perfectly safe in your GI tract, but which can cause serious health problems if snorted. Specifically, many of them are not water soluble and can clog up your sinuses, resulting in improper mucus drainage that can lead to infection. If they get to your lungs, they can cause all sort of problems in terms of cutting, tearing, and damaging the alvioli in your lungs, and clogging them up because they are insoluble in water and cannot be cleared.

Plus, there's a good chance that you wouldn't even feel any effects. A 10mg pill would contain 10mg of active ingredient in several grams of inert material. Most of the inert material would most likely clog the sinus lining of your nose, preventing the tiny amount of active ingredient from absorbing. Any effect you received would most likely be due to material that dripped down the back of the throat and was absorbed in the GI tract anyways.

So just go ahead and swallow your pills, it's how they were meant to be taken.

Oh, and it goes without saying that you should never inject a pill, doing so could kill you.
Snorting sounds painful enough, but the thought of injecting anything makes me queasy! How could anybody do that I wonder? Isn't it easy to kill yourself (unintentionally) if you get air bubbles in a syringe or is that just urban legend?