ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-29-06, 01:56 PM

northrose has disabled reputation
Adderall makes me eat!!

I`m taking 40mg twice daily. I`ve noticed a decrease in hunger pains as my dose was increased. Also, I`m very relaxed and can be sleepy at times. I`m able to focus much better on life, but no desire to tackle my pile of unopened mail, my daughters messy room [who also is medicated for ADD], laundry ect.. I`ve been taking adderall for 6 weeks. I don`t want to have a weight issue at this point in my life [I`m 41, 5' 5" & 120 lbs]. What is the max dose of adderall? My HR & BP have remained within normal limits. Maybe a med change is needed? Is there anyone out there with the strange same side effects?

Last edited by northrose; 04-29-06 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: forgot a word
Old 05-03-06, 10:53 AM
Jr Member

captivagirl is on a distinguished road
it hasn't decreased my appetite at all (and i was hoping for that lovely side effect) but it hasn't really increased it all that much either...it's pretty much the same....

it helps me focus more and some days i am more motivated than others to get things done like you need to but there are days when i am just more even keel and able to do things better.....

hth
Old 05-04-06, 02:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

tinkerbelle is on a distinguished road
Are you taking 40 mg IR both times? Just curious. I take ER in the morning and about an hour later, start cleaning and tidying like mad.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-06, 09:50 AM

I take 45 mg Adderall IR b/t6-7 am. The next 45 mg around noonish. I`m allowed to take 30 mg around 5-6 pm on those "full" days. The need for this last dose has increased in frequency since the school year has ended. I take Adderall IR instead of ER for one reason only...........$$$$$$$$
Old 06-17-06, 11:41 AM
Forum Guru

sloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of light
Gosh! What type of medical professional prescribes that to you?

Please forgive me if I'm sounding rude. I DON'T want to sound rude, insulting, or offensive in any way. I am asking because I have been on 20mgs of Adderall XR for about a year - and my prescriber (a psychiatric nurse prescriber at the mental health agency where I also attend weekly therapy sessions) has insisted to me that my 20mgs of AdderallXR is a "HUGE DOSE"! After much fussing from me, I was able to very reluctantly get an increase of an additional AdderallIR 10mg in the afternoon. Whoopity-doo!!!

I'd really like to have the opportunity for trying a slight increase. Maybe AdderallXR 30mg in the a.m. OR another AdderallXR 10mg in the afternoon (instead of the IR - which doesn't seem very effective). ANYWAY . . . THAT is why I'm asking you what kind of doctor prescribes that to you. Because MY PRESCRIBER claims that being prescribed AdderallXR 20mg 1 X per day is a "HUGE DOSE"! And I don't want to try another prescriber because it took me so long to find one who would even PRESCRIBE a stimulant med to me. (And that's even with my documented ADHD diagnosis from an area psychologist who SPECIALIZES in ADHD - and who DOESN'T diagnose someone with ADHD without a very time-consuming and THOROUGH evaluation process. I saw this psychologist for close to a year - I was seeing him every week - every other week for counseling too until I lost my health insurance.)

Sue
Old 06-17-06, 07:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation
dose it make you eat alot then sue??? maybe a lower dose will help???? dorm
Old 06-18-06, 11:46 AM

I was started on 20 mg IR, then 30, up to 40 and now 45 mg [1 1/2 tabs]. While on 20 mg I was sleepy and hungry. I swear they got the A`s [for amphetamine] and the B`s [for benzodiazepine] mixed up! The difference b/t 30 & 40 mg is when the sedation and hunger eased up some. Now at 45 mg IR, I`m not chilled out on the couch, eating popcorn and watching the tube all day. So, a lower dose for me is counter-productive. Were you asking if I`d sue someone b/c of weight gain?? You know, that never did cross my mind. Really, it seems silly to me, Why would I want to get fat a blame it on some RX company or Doctor? First of all, that would cost alot of money [which I don`t have],,,,, for food, a larger wardrobe, the legal fee`s, the list goes on..... But most importantly, this would set a poor example for my 10 year old daughter who also has ADD. On the flipside of humor, it would make a silly movie [hehehe]. Overall, Adderall seems to be working on me. It`s cost effective & suffer no cardiovascular, musculoskeletal or neurologic side effects. I see the world differently now,,,,
Old 06-18-06, 07:08 PM

To Sloppitty-Sue, I had trouble finding a Dr who was accepting of the fact that I don`t have insurance and I can`t afford expensive prescriptions [ie; Strattera]. Sounds like you have no insurance either. I refuse to have a Dr tell me I what I can and cannot afford. The Dr I see now has his own practice in a small town outside of the city limits. I like the fact that I see him,,, not someone else in the "Group". Because I have to see him on a regular basis, he cuts the fee down to $40.00 instead of $65.00. Ask around and be patient [yea,right!! I wasn`t at all!], you will find the right one!! I did.
Old 06-18-06, 11:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

adhdgirl has disabled reputation
I have no co-pay so have to pay the full price of my Ritalin. I started out on 20 mg. and am going to need an increase I think. Anyway, it has MUCH supressed my appetite even though that is not what I got it for. Maybe another kind of medicine will be necessary for you and still work as well.
Old 06-19-06, 01:09 AM
Forum Guru

sloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of light
Ya - I have insurance. That's not a problem. The only "problem" is that my prescriber believes that 20mgs of Adderall XR 1 X per day is a "huge dose." ?????? From what I've read here, it seems that SOME people are occasionally inducted on higher doses.

Anyway - I'm sorry if I hijacked your thread, Northrose!! I hope you find a satisfying solution, and I'm sorry I have no advice for ya, hun!!!

Take care,
Sue
Old 06-19-06, 09:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADDELINE is on a distinguished road
NORTHROSE...

Adderall has made me so hungry that I'm thinking of food all day long. I've gained 9+ pounds in the 5 weeks I have been on it! I also don't want to add a weight problem to the struggles I already have. Was so hoping that going on this med would let me relax my eating habits and I'd have more fun and pleasure from food.

Help??? Addeline
Old 12-14-06, 04:20 PM

zlata_bg is on a distinguished road
i am 25 and have been on ADD meds since the 4th grade.
started out with ritalin, then dexadrine till high school and switched to adderall in high school, throughout college up until now.
i take 30 mg a day.
i can't even fathom taking 90 mg a day on a regular basis.
i wouldn't be able to sleep, i would be like a zombie.
it's crazy how everyones body reacts to different amounts of the same medication.
Old 12-14-06, 05:53 PM
Contributor

janesays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlata_bg
it's crazy how everyones body reacts to different amounts of the same medication.
Well said.
Old 12-17-06, 02:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about
A maximum dose really is only a guideline. Doctors are going over that number more and more each day. I actually knew someone who was taking 2000mg of Seroquel! Each person is different.

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.
Old 12-18-06, 02:05 AM
Forum Guru

SolarLife will become famous soon enough
Quote:
"There are no good guidelines for determining what is the best dose of ADD medication for any individual. Trial and error are required. However, the maximum dose of Adderall is thought by many doctors, including the Harvard University ADD Group, to be 3/4 of a milligram per pound of body weight (120 mg per day for a 160 pound person). The maximum dose for Ritalin is thought by many doctors to be 1 milligram per pound of body weight (160 mg per day for a 160 pound person.) While these maximum doses are considerably higher than the 60 mg per day approved by the US Food and Drug Administration and more than most people need, some people do not get much benefit from doses of 60 - 80 mg per day. Please work with your doctor to find the correct dose for you."
[Quote from Marc Schwartz, MD]

msam76 is right and doctors have reasonable discretion to dose above FDA guidelines.

As the above quote indicates, correct dosing is determined by the individual and their subsequent response to the medication. "Trial and error are required." A large man may get a good response on 10 mg twice a day, while a petite woman may need 40 mg twice a day.

I average 30 mg nicely while another 10 mg and still another 90 mg

There is not a calculator that flawlessly produces a dosage that is just right, only averages and clinical data and results.