ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TEENS AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH ADD/ADHD > Homework & School
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Homework & School This forum is for teens with AD/HD talk about homework and other school related issues.

Old 09-25-12, 09:03 PM
Jr Member

brandon_g is on a distinguished road
Re: Homework Tips!

I try to do it homework, fun, homework fun routine.
Old 12-20-12, 09:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

gemini-dreamer is a jewel in the roughgemini-dreamer is a jewel in the roughgemini-dreamer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginchaos View Post
5. Use a cardboard box to keep all your loose papers in. Each day when you do your homework, empty your books, backpack, pockets, etc. of loose papers and add them to the box. When you need old papers for school, you will know exactly where to find them.!

This one is a great idea. I think it would really help in our house!

Old 12-30-12, 10:40 PM

shahidsaif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkland8 View Post
Ah thanks never though of that... lol
many thaks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-13, 05:44 PM

PreppyGorgon will become famous soon enough

Don't forget to talk with your teachers. I have had to request modified assignments twice. The more recent one I felt really guilty about until I asked a classmate how long he had spent on his homework. His completed assignment had taken him 2 hours. Suddenly the 10 hours I had been spending on my incomplete assignments was more than enough reason to request a modification.
Old 04-11-13, 08:33 AM
Jr Member

Ninjas is a jewel in the roughNinjas is a jewel in the roughNinjas is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginchaos View Post
Taken from:
http://add.about.com/cs/forteens/a/blteenshomework.htm

1. Try to complete your homework in daylight hours.
Some studies indicate it takes longer to complete the same task at nighttime.

2. Create flashcards for yourself when studying for a test.
These allow you to break down information into small segments easily.

3. Use an assignment book.
Don't rely on your memory to keep track of what you need to remember. You can also try using a pocket size tape recorder (you might need to get permission from the school to use this) and you can speak your assignments and what you need to remember. You can also use this at home to record what you need to remember to do in school the next day.

4. Create a space for yourself to complete your homework.
Keep this area as clutter free as possible and have supplies, such as pencils, pens, and paper, readily available. Ask your family to respect your homework space and not take supplies or move items around so that you are not using homework time to reorganize yourself each day.

5. Use a cardboard box to keep all your loose papers in.
Each day when you do your homework, empty your books, backpack, pockets, etc. of loose papers and add them to the box. When you need old papers for school, you will know exactly where to find them.

6. For long term projects, break down into small chunks and make a schedule for completing each item.
Keep your schedule on the wall of your homework area (use a white board or bulletin board on the wall) so that each day you can see what needs to be completed toward your project.

7. Complete the hardest homework, or the subject you dislike the most first and get it out of the way.
If you save this for last you could drag out the rest of your homework in order to delay it.

8. Keep a list of classmates and their phone numbers
in your study area so that you can call if you have forgotten the assignment or have questions about what should be completed.

9. Take a short break every half hour to stretch and then get back to work.
Be sure to limit your break time to 5 minutes and make sure you don't start watching TV during the break.

10. When studying for a test, read through the summaries of sections and chapters before reading the chapter itself.
This will help you to focus on the main ideas of the chapter.

Post other tips that you want to pass on!

Ahahaha that awkward moment when I realize I do the opposite of everything here...

OOH, I GOT ONE:

When studying for a test, use online quiz sites such as Docbrown science (Trust me it works) BBC Bitesize (life saver notes) and go to Youtube, search Crash-course science xD
The warlus killed the dance-man
You smell like
Pizza in the crowd stand
LOOK EVERYBODY, CARAMELLDANSEN!!~!

Misheard ftw.
Old 08-06-13, 07:39 AM
Contributor

Adduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of light

I hope you find the following links helpful and hopefully pick up some tips that you may not have come across before.

The articles are from a UK newspaper and are aimed at 16-18 year olds regarding study skills especially in the run up to exams.

Here are two of the articles, and within them you will find links (about 10 or so) linking to 'more by this author' and 'related articles'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...sion-time.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...n-success.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Adduce For This Useful Post:
cosine106 (08-18-13)
Old 08-28-13, 10:13 AM
Jr Member

novelwriter is on a distinguished road

I always had to do my history/map skills last for homework, because that was my weakness and it happened to be a strength of my dad's. He would help me study that subject constantly drill my brain for quizzes and tests when I was in school.
Old 09-07-13, 05:31 PM

Nicky94 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce1800 View Post
Do your homework as far away from a computer as possible
guilty :/ but then again, I always felt more comfortable typing my homework than writing, and it went faster (bad handwriting :/). It's easier for me to motivate myself to sit on the computer and write a few sentences or whatever, than to make myself write the whole essay by hand. These days there are enough methods to block you from accessing the internet while you shouldn't be distracted. As long as I don't have anything else open, I'm pretty productive doing homework on the computer. I like typing, and usually like doing essays and the like, so that's how I motivate myself to get started.

But I guess that's just me because I prefer typing to writing by hand.

I agree with Thenor on the doing something easier/more fun first. It's really hard to start homework knowing you have to do something you don't like or find hard right away.
I would do something that's easy/that you like first, then the most difficult/least liked subject. That way, you can motivate yourself by doing something fun or easy first, and afterwards you feel good about having it out of the way, and then you might have the motivation to go on and do something difficult, so you've got that out of the way.

Also, I went to a friend's place after school a few times, and was extremely baffled by the fact that she did homework right after getting home, with a little break for lunch (school often wasn't that long yet, so we'd have lunch at home), and then went back to homework right afterwards, going through the different subjects fast and without a break. I would've never had the motivation for that. I still have to try to make myself start homework right after I come home (I had great experiences with doing homework at school too, there's less distractions than at home). I'd usually either not do it at all, or hurry through it before bed.

Thanks for all the tips, they're awesome!
Old 11-05-13, 02:43 PM

birchtree123 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Homework Tips!

Great suggestions!

Another tip:

When you sit down to do homework, try this: 15-5 system

Choose one subject and work for 15 minutes straight. Then give yourself a 5 minute break (bathroom, quick snack, jumping jacks). Then back to another 15 minutes of focus. Then another 5 minute break. This breaks it down a little

I use the alarm on my iphone to time myself for the work and the break.

Works really well for me.
Old 12-27-13, 01:42 PM

Michio is on a distinguished road

I actually find that I do some of my homework best at night. Things like mathematics and those kinds of subjects are easier to focus on, for me at least, in the evenings once it starts getting dark because it doesn't feel like I'm wasting my whole day doing them. I do stuff like papers and readings when it's bright out so that I can do stuff that's kind of fun and not demotivating and then do the other subjects like math and economics in the evening when focusing on them won't feel demotivating.
Old 10-08-14, 12:22 AM

XXYYXX is on a distinguished road

I am a huge advocate when it comes to organization in connection with technology.

A great useful took if you are using Google Chrome is My Study Life

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bihjhkeo?hl=en

Class Planner, scheduler, To-Do, reminders, and much more.

D-amphetamine Salt Combo 2x15mg IR // 2x30mg IR
D-amphetamine Salt Combo 1x30mg ER

Klonopin 2x2mg
Seroquel 1x50mg

OFWGKTA
Old 12-08-14, 05:13 PM

Kelly K 1314 is on a distinguished road
Re: School Help!!!!!!!!!!

one thing I do is writ in my assignment book exactly where I put work so I know where to look in order to find it. It also helps me to focus by playing music, although I do normally have music playing in my head
Old 12-08-14, 05:27 PM

Kelly K 1314 is on a distinguished road
Re: School Help!!!!!!!!!!

one thing I do is writ in my assignment book exactly where I put work so I know where to look in order to find it. It also helps me to focus by playing music, although I do normally have music playing in my head
Old 05-02-16, 01:06 PM

dopeamine is on a distinguished road

I also find it helpful to clean your area before you begin studying and before taking your medicine.

This could only relate to me but when I am studying, I often get distracted by the mess around me whether it be something small such as clothes on the bed I always have to clean.
Old 07-11-16, 02:31 PM

mchammer is on a distinguished road

Hey so I just got prescribed to concerta 36mg and am wondering if this will only calm me and/or help me stay focused, i.e help me on homework....any remarks?