ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TEENS AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH ADD/ADHD > Homework & School
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Homework & School This forum is for teens with AD/HD talk about homework and other school related issues.

Old 02-12-10, 07:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 24,142 Times in 11,171 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 12 Things ADHD High Schoolers want their Teachers to Know

What an old thread!

But what a great list!

I'm really glad this thread got bumped again. I copied out the list in case my granddaughter needs it. She could have used it in 4th and 5th grades. Towards the end of 5th grade we finally got a proper diagnosis and got her started on meds. So far she's doing really well in 6th grade/middle school. But there's one class that she always pulls a lower grade in - and it's not because she doesn't understand the subject. I think she and the teacher just have trouble with communication. She doesn't have an IEP at this point, so showing this to the teacher might not be helpful. But if she keeps having trouble with this class, I think her mom is going to rethink the IEP and this would be good to share with that one teacher.

Actually, I think all teachers should read this and keep it in the top drawer of their desk at all times.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 05-24-10, 10:18 PM
Jr Member

Dolphin92 is on a distinguished road

I know my teacher actually told me that i wasn't trying because i didn't understand the stuff. And she is a really mean theacher she has actually called me stupid, and other things throughout the school year. And there have been times were i have just wanted to go off on her but i never have. But she jsut makes me so mad
Old 05-24-10, 11:22 PM
Contributor

ADHDKylee is a jewel in the roughADHDKylee is a jewel in the roughADHDKylee is a jewel in the rough

I wish my teachers had this... I had to argue that ADHD is important enough to even be put on my IEP. I have one for Nonverbal Learning Disorder and a Math learning disability but just recently I got my ADHD diagnosis included on my IEP and it was only because the special education teachers know how out of control I am when I don't take my medicine now (It also affects my mood according to my psychologist and psychiatrist) It gets annoying because NLD does need to be included yes but if my teachers don't know I have ADHD as well then how will they be able to really help me if they're missing half the information?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-10, 12:06 PM

LunaLovegood is on a distinguished road

I also wish my teachers had this when I was younger. I wasn't diagnosed till more recently. All of my teachers called me stupid and forgetful when I was younger. They'd refuse to let me have recess (as a punishment) in front of the class. So, I'd be pretty embarrassed, plus the afternoon would be pretty awful cause I had all this energy, and I hadn't gotten recess.

Elementary school just plain stunk - we never got to leave our desks, other teachers came to us, we never moved from those teensy little annoying desks, and they always assigned my seat with a bunch of boys so that I wouldn't talk, and things were never that great at home, so forget homework - when I did do it, it somehow lost its way. I used to break my pencil tips just so that I could get up, until one of my teachers had the 'brilliant' idea of giving me a hand-held pencil sharpener.

Diagnosed

Concerta
-First - 18mg in morning
-Now - 2 18mg in morning

Still doesn't help.
Old 10-03-10, 01:48 PM
Contributor

Alex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginchaos View Post
10) I don't like having "special accomodations." Please do not draw attention to them and help me to succeed with the least amount of attention drawn to my ADD.
This is so true. In elementary school they used to make a big deal out my adhd and they would do all sorts of stuff that didnt help, definitely drew attention to my adhd. In 5th grade, my teacher gave me these check lists everyday that had everything I needed to do and it was laminated so that I could use a dry erase maker to check stuff off as I did it. People used to ask me what it was, and that embarrassed me. And it was embarrassing as heck when the school psychologist had to take me out of classes and everyone saw her walk into the class room and me leaving with her. Thank god the middle school psychologist realized in 6th grade that I wasnt a future serial killer and I didnt need to see him.

On the flip side, I still need extra time on tests, but thats my only "accommodation". I dont even have an iep anymore, just a "classroom accommodation list" with 2 things on it haha
Old 10-07-10, 11:09 AM

Ashey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex9 View Post
This is so true. In elementary school they used to make a big deal out my adhd and they would do all sorts of stuff that didnt help, definitely drew attention to my adhd. In 5th grade, my teacher gave me these check lists everyday that had everything I needed to do and it was laminated so that I could use a dry erase maker to check stuff off as I did it. People used to ask me what it was, and that embarrassed me. And it was embarrassing as heck when the school psychologist had to take me out of classes and everyone saw her walk into the class room and me leaving with her. Thank god the middle school psychologist realized in 6th grade that I wasnt a future serial killer and I didnt need to see him.

On the flip side, I still need extra time on tests, but thats my only "accommodation". I dont even have an iep anymore, just a "classroom accommodation list" with 2 things on it haha

Wow! She gave you a laminated check list. *shakes head* My IEP was pretty ridiculous too. When the learning support showed me the proof version I was cracking up!! Two points were ''Ash will put her pen down and fold her arms if she is stuck and a teacher will come and help her". LOL and "If Ash has her head on the desk, the teacher will tap her on the shoulder". What on earth? hee hee! I thought there wasn't supposed to be any physical contact! LOL!
Old 11-07-10, 03:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

itsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud of

2,4, 6 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 are true the rest are not (for me)

How about adding:

*I only hear what you are saying half the time because I'm more interested in the girl in front of me or the bird outside the window. Anything is WAY more important than whatever your talking about.

*You need to make sure that I know that we have homework/tests/projects. Just because you said it to the class 8 times does not mean I heard it.

*Blurting out answers is not because I don't care about others, it's simply ADHD. It's not my fault.

*Same with jumping the gun

*Talking is a NECESSITY. If you yell at me for talking (most times it's about what you are talking about) than I'll lose focus of what my goals are and just think about how you are so mean and don't understand.

*Let us have intervals to walk around the room, sitting still is hard.

*Let me enjoy my coffee/coke, I need it to focus bc my pill wore off.

*STAY RIDGED! GIVE US EXPLICIT DIRECTIONS!!! telling us half-***** that we need to do something will lead me on a path of doing whatever I want, most likely not doing anything or something of terrible quality or completely off topic. MOST times it will lead to doing everything the wrong way if you don't give explicit directions. Tell me STEP BY STEP what I need to do.

*Than help me step by step on what I need to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to itsanADHDthing For This Useful Post:
SquarePeg (11-30-12)
Old 11-07-10, 03:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

itsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperChick17 View Post
Alot of my friends and teachers think that "ADHD doesn't effect school / homework" and "ADHD is only an excuse so you don't have to do something"

How can I get them to understand?

Everytime you don't hear the teacher say something, blatanly say "i wasn't paying attention, I was zoned out, what are we supposed to do?"

if you don't hear them after they explain it again, ask again.

keep asking till you understand fully, not 99.9%, fully.

if they just walk away or some other rude thing, just don't do it, or do what you know. when they ask, say it's not my fault, you walked away without explaining it.

teachers HATE repeating themselves, they already have to do it 5 times a day. asking and asking again will only get them aggravated, it will bring them to a point of realization that "hey, maybe this one chick does have adhd, she can NEVER focus, yet others do. maybe it IS a real disease."
Old 11-07-10, 11:08 AM

ChickenGirl is on a distinguished road

My mom apparently thinks that the 'ADHD is not an excuse' one means that I can not have problems with ADHD and schoolwork and just need to try harder. Oh, and because I am medicated, all problems with it should vanish... I really do try... She just doesn't believe me.
100% of fair maidens eaten were sacrificed to save their town.
Help raise awareness about the dangers of firebreathing chickens by posting this line in your signiture!
The Following User Says Thank You to ChickenGirl For This Useful Post:
mirandatoritess (08-04-13)
Old 11-07-10, 08:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenGirl View Post
My mom apparently thinks that the 'ADHD is not an excuse' one means that I can not have problems with ADHD and schoolwork and just need to try harder. Oh, and because I am medicated, all problems with it should vanish... I really do try... She just doesn't believe me.

It really seems that only ADHDers, psychiatrists, and very,very few people understand (or even truely believe) ADHD
The Following User Says Thank You to itsanADHDthing For This Useful Post:
hypergirl96 (01-25-11)
Old 01-24-11, 01:50 AM
Forum ADDvocate

hypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws13 View Post
By the way, I can relate to #3; except I left it in the fridge once
the best is when you cant find ur homework anywhere and go home just to find out that it was in the bottom of ur backpack the whole time but you couldn't find it in the mess.
The Following User Says Thank You to hypergirl96 For This Useful Post:
SquarePeg (11-30-12)
Old 01-24-11, 12:12 PM
Contributor

x6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypergirl96 View Post
the best is when you cant find ur homework anywhere and go home just to find out that it was in the bottom of ur backpack the whole time but you couldn't find it in the mess.
If I had a dollar for every time this happened.....well lets just say I wouldn't have to worry anymore.
  • 40mg Adderall XR (AM)
  • 30mg Adderall IR (PM)
"Change the world or go home" - Microsoft employee slogan
The Following User Says Thank You to x6eze For This Useful Post:
hypergirl96 (03-15-11)
Old 01-25-11, 07:16 PM
Forum ADDvocate

hypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginchaos View Post
9) I do better with a detailed plan and knowing what you expect. If you should change plans in the middle to adapt to some outside influence, please help me to adapt. It may take me longer to adjust to the changes. Structure and guidance are my best allies.
i love this one. reminds me of my tech teacher. she gives us the rubric and gives us the due date for some really hard project and expects us to figure it out ourslelves. but here's the kicker....she then complains that her emails clogged up and that she doesnt have enough time to eat her lunch cause she got so many questions from kids about the project. and then she changes part of the assignment a few days before its due and only tells one or two peaople and then claims she told everyone. its not her fault, of corse, its always our fault. *sigh* teachers
Old 03-15-11, 12:32 AM

kerbycheyenne is on a distinguished road

Very good points! So I went onto many websites and discovered that I have almost every sympton of ADHD inattentive, and these symptoms are both present at home and at work, but at school they aren't present. I'm a very good student and always have been. Is it possible to be a perfect(well very good) student and still have ADHD inattentive?
Old 03-20-11, 12:48 PM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,578 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute

I would add:
If I have somehow miraculously managed to come up with a system that is working for me (unlikely, but it has happened a few times), don't screw around with it. If I have no system (more likely), tailor it to my needs rather than giving me the cookie cutter "Unorganized Kid" plan.

In middle school, I ditched binders once and for all because I would just shove stuff into them and leave them places and it became ridiculously messy. When I continued to have organization issues, albeit less than with the binders, every single one of my teachers went, "WHY AREN'T YOU USING BINDERS?!"
For some reason teachers think that binders are like the holy grail of office supplies and every student must use them...I didn't see it.
You don't have to struggle to do what everybody else is doing if it's not working for you!

@kerbycheyenne,
I would say it is possible. You can act differently in different environments. My brother has NLD (Nonverbal Learning Disorder), and while his teachers think he's a star student, our family sees the temper tantrum side of him. He goes to a school with kids who have many different types of LDs, and many of them are the opposite: nightmares at school and angels at home, which is why it's difficult for some parents to get across to teachers that their kid is not a bad kid. My parents find it difficult to convince the school that my brother isn't perfect!

Last edited by pooka; 03-20-11 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add something