ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TEENS AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH ADD/ADHD > Homework & School
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Homework & School This forum is for teens with AD/HD talk about homework and other school related issues.

Old 10-25-11, 10:11 AM

crazystarf has a spectacular aura aboutcrazystarf has a spectacular aura about
Re: 12 Things ADHD High Schoolers want their Teachers to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronarTheBlack View Post
Congratulations. You have posted what worked for you with your personality and your ADHD. While this may have worked for you it might (read most probably) not work for others. So to me you sound like an NT saying "Try harder" you lazy bum.
I'm just basing my opinion on what my college school counselor told me schoolwork if you have ADD, and even if there was a reason for the classroom to give you treat you special because of your ADD, do note that you're not the only one in the classroom. Every person that I talked with who had ADD/ADHD said that they finished their education without special accommodations because in the real world, not a lot of people in the workforce would care if you even had ADD or not.

rickymooston seems to have gotten the right idea; if you need the teacher to treat you like you have ADD, you gotta mentally evaluate yourself first on what you have to work on. (Because your teacher might not know what kinds of problems you actually have in the classroom unless you explain your concerns to them.)
Old 10-25-11, 12:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,203 Times in 1,562 Posts
Luvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazystarf View Post
Oh boy here we go......Responses bolded in red

Lots of people with ADD have succeeded in both high school and college without special accommodations. If you don't want to have special accommodations due to your ADHD then put effort into working on your own and getting things done on your own (just like everyone else.)

There, I'm done. This is basically how I got through JH, HS, and basically the 1st and 2nd years of college.
this is a VERY condescending, hurtful, belittling, negative, crappy attitude towards those unfortunate individuals who's adhd problems are too severe for them to 'put effort into it'.

If ANY of my daughter's teachers spoke to her that way about how she should handle their adhd, I would immediatley call a conference with ALL administrators of the school and blast them a new *******. That is not acceptable.

So glad effort was your issue but for my daughter lack of 'effort' has nothing to do with it. She has adhd.

School is NOTHING! like the 'real world' and we are not talking about adults, we are talking about KIDS who haven't reached adulthood/independence yet.

This is the LAST PLACE a kid with adhd needs to read that they can be successful and 'just like everyone else' with no accomodations if they just worked harder.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luvmybully For This Useful Post:
CastleBravo (05-03-12), Lunacie (10-25-11), Ravenstar (05-09-14), SquarePeg (11-30-12)
Old 10-25-11, 07:04 PM

crazystarf has a spectacular aura aboutcrazystarf has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
this is a VERY condescending, hurtful, belittling, negative, crappy attitude towards those unfortunate individuals who's adhd problems are too severe for them to 'put effort into it'.

If ANY of my daughter's teachers spoke to her that way about how she should handle their adhd, I would immediatley call a conference with ALL administrators of the school and blast them a new *******. That is not acceptable.
What about those people who had ADHD back in high school but could not find help (mostly due to the school having a lack of knowledge of what ADD was)? I knew (and were good friends with) quite a few people whose ADD/ADHD would affect them so severely that some of them would ask me for help with their homework (I was probably one of the very few people that understood what ADD was, probably because I had it too). If his/her ADHD was really that serious in a way that it seriously impacts his/her performance in academics, setting an appointment with the school counselor and discussing what he/she can do to succeed would be in his/her best interest.

If there's one important thing that I can think from the top of my head about high school with ADD, it's that having a teacher who understands your disability and what it might potentially do to your academic performance is the key.

edit: I'm sorry if I offended your daughter but every time ADHD and high school comes up I keep having depressing memories. Most of the students back in my high school looked down upon kids with ADHD and I still regret that I wasn't able to do more to make people understand what having ADHD really meant.

Last edited by crazystarf; 10-25-11 at 07:21 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-11, 07:36 PM

Thanked 24,149 Times in 11,174 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh boy here we go......Responses bolded in red

Lots of people with ADD have succeeded in both high school and college without special accommodations. If you don't want to have special accommodations due to your ADHD then put effort into working on your own and getting things done on your own (just like everyone else.)

There, I'm done. This is basically how I got through JH, HS, and basically the 1st and 2nd years of college.
LOTS of people with ADHD ALSO quit/drop out of school, especially if they
aren't getting meds or other treatment, including some accomodations. I
don't remember the exact statistics, but something like 1/3 of kids with
ADHD drop out.

I didn't drop out of high school, barely finished, but no way was I going
to try to go to college.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 10-28-11, 09:36 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
What about those people who had ADHD back in high school but could not find help (mostly due to the school having a lack of knowledge of what ADD was)? I knew (and were good friends with) quite a few people whose ADD/ADHD would affect them so severely that some of them would ask me for help with their homework (I was probably one of the very few people that understood what ADD was, probably because I had it too). If his/her ADHD was really that serious in a way that it seriously impacts his/her performance in academics, setting an appointment with the school counselor and discussing what he/she can do to succeed would be in his/her best interest.

If there's one important thing that I can think from the top of my head about high school with ADD, it's that having a teacher who understands your disability and what it might potentially do to your academic performance is the key.

edit: I'm sorry if I offended your daughter but every time ADHD and high school comes up I keep having depressing memories. Most of the students back in my high school looked down upon kids with ADHD and I still regret that I wasn't able to do more to make people understand what having ADHD really meant.
We can't accept your point of view. The message you give us through your last posts can be summarized as:

there's low IQ ADHDers and high IQ ADHDers. The low IQ ones fail while the high IQ ones succeed even without accommodations so why bother helping the low IQ ones since their low IQ is the main reason why they fail?

That may be...but another reason why they failed is ADHD right? Even if ADHD accounted for less than 50% of their failure, had their ADHD been treated they may have graduated.

I had an ADHD guy like that in my thermodynamics class too who couldn't pay attention etc. His name was Supakim, we called him ''Super'' because he could solve anything. One day me and my friend worked on a past-year mid-term problem we smuggled from someone we knew and couldn't solve it, we were 3 people trying.

So we bring Supakim and show him the problem. The guy reads it really slowly. He then stops and looks at us for a few seconds, then says: ''do you have a pen and a paper?'' LOL. We all started laughing and gave him his pen and paper, and 5 minutes later he had finished. He spent 5 minutes reading the problem while a non ADHDer would have spent about 2 minutes, but he knew what to do and that's where he won time wise.

Proper evaluation of ADHD treatment is not designed to accommodate Supakim, who, in spite of his ADHD doesn't need any accommodations. It is designed to accommodate the remaining 99.9% of the ADHDers who are not like him.

Last edited by Massari; 10-28-11 at 09:51 PM..
Old 10-28-11, 10:07 PM

Thanked 10,116 Times in 3,182 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

I've always relied on "Wasn't Me" in dire straits.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Old 01-30-12, 04:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

mokthraka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
LOTS of people with ADHD ALSO quit/drop out of school, especially if they
aren't getting meds or other treatment, including some accomodations. I
don't remember the exact statistics, but something like 1/3 of kids with
ADHD drop out.

I didn't drop out of high school, barely finished, but no way was I going
to try to go to college.
I regiesterd to respond to this.

I have never been diagonsed with ADHD but I am going to the doctors soon, everyone has always said I probably have it, but I never wanted to admit there was something wrong, due to the way its portrayed.

anyways, during high school my teachers always looked at me as being stupid and lazy. I am not stupid at all. When I took the ASVAB I scored a 90+ on everything excluding math. but I could never focus in school, I would try so damn hard, but I would end up being distracted. when I went home and tried doing homework I would get distracted. I always had to ask how to do something 4 or 5 times, and half my teachers wouldnt bother because they didnt think I was taking them seriously, even though I honestly did not get it. so I ended up failing high school. I had to get my GED, which I scored very well on, except for math again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mokthraka For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-30-12), SquarePeg (11-30-12)
Old 11-30-12, 04:11 AM
Jr Member

BustedTs206 is on a distinguished road

Chh-please. This makes people diagnosed with ADD sound like they're some small minority who are at more of an educational/mental disadvantage than the mentally challenged. Listen, no one's perfect. We all got something wrong with us. And MANY have ADD, it's not anything special. You won't have special treatment for it.

For example, I'm bipolar. Before meds, I would go through weekly rotations of feeling euphoric, hyperintelligent and energetic to no-vocab, don't wanna talk cause I'm socially/egotistically paranoid, and wanna just lie in bed all day thinking about how pathetic I truly am... That's when you deserve special treatment But wait! I ain't even at the front of the line! Alzheimer's, parkinson's, retardation, blind, deaf, etc. all are at a severe disadvantage in comparison to ADD.

In my opinion, ADD/ADHD is a symptom, not a disease.
Sorry if I came off foul, I'm only trying to make a pleasant point.
Old 11-30-12, 02:58 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedTs206 View Post
Chh-please. This makes people diagnosed with ADD sound like they're some small minority who are at more of an educational/mental disadvantage than the mentally challenged. Listen, no one's perfect. We all got something wrong with us. And MANY have ADD, it's not anything special. You won't have special treatment for it.

For example, I'm bipolar. Before meds, I would go through weekly rotations of feeling euphoric, hyperintelligent and energetic to no-vocab, don't wanna talk cause I'm socially/egotistically paranoid, and wanna just lie in bed all day thinking about how pathetic I truly am... That's when you deserve special treatment But wait! I ain't even at the front of the line! Alzheimer's, parkinson's, retardation, blind, deaf, etc. all are at a severe disadvantage in comparison to ADD.

In my opinion, ADD/ADHD is a symptom, not a disease.
Sorry if I came off foul, I'm only trying to make a pleasant point.

This isn't - and shouldn't be - about who is at the front of the line, or
who has the worst problems. All problems should be treated if possible.

Some people with ADHD have very little impairment, but others have major
impairments in all areas of their lives and do have a severe disadvantage.

While not everyone with ADHD needs accomodations for school or work -
some certainly DO need those accomodations to "level the playing field"
so they aren't at so much of a disadvantage.

ADHD and Bipolar are not diseases, they are disorders. Diseases can
usually be cured. Disorders cannot be cured, at least not at this time.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (06-18-15), SquarePeg (11-30-12)
Old 11-30-12, 03:57 PM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorb View Post
I am reading this and wondering what is going to happen to my son. He is a good child and wants to do well in school but he has ADD and just cant do all of the things they want him to at once. He has 5 classes and honestly I think he can only keep up with maybe 3. Right now he has 4 F's and one C due to not completing homework and failing tests he doesnt let me know he needs to study for. I am trying to help him but he lies about the homework. He lies all the time saying he doesnt have any to do. I know he can figure it will hurt his grade but mentally I dont think he gets it. I dont know what to do??
Thereīs lying and thereīs forgetting, it can be one or the other or a mixture of both. When I went to see my sonīs year tutor about this problem he spoke to all my sonīs teachers to make sure that my son had written down in his diary what homework needed to be done. My son often has trouble copying it down fast enough. Everyone has a school diary which is the means of communication between the school and parents. I would check his diary every day. His tutor also emailed me every week after speaking to his teachers so that I would know if he hadnīt been completing homework or had other problems etc.
Old 11-30-12, 09:05 PM
Jr Member

BustedTs206 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
This isn't - and shouldn't be - about who is at the front of the line, or
who has the worst problems. All problems should be treated if possible.

Some people with ADHD have very little impairment, but others have major
impairments in all areas of their lives and do have a severe disadvantage.

While not everyone with ADHD needs accomodations for school or work -
some certainly DO need those accomodations to "level the playing field"
so they aren't at so much of a disadvantage.

ADHD and Bipolar are not diseases, they are disorders. Diseases can
usually be cured. Disorders cannot be cured, at least not at this time.
It'x extremely difficult to fully cure Bipolar disorder, as it takes years and years and years to finally prevent (thus I term it a disease, like curable cancer). I am on meds and I still have social triggers and days of being in the dumps. Anyways, I understand having ADHD creates a disadvantage, but there's so many that have it. So then if they all got "accommodations" for it then there'd be people without ADHD saying "Hey, I got Parkinson's and I don't get any special treatment?"

So what I'm saying is a lot of people should have a handicap; but there's just so many different disorder's that the only one's who do get the help are the one's who are SEVERELY disabled. And if more disorders were to be accommodated, I doubt ADHD would be one of the accepted one's. It's life changing, but not life-threatening.
Old 12-01-12, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedTs206 View Post
It'x extremely difficult to fully cure Bipolar disorder, as it takes years and years and years to finally prevent (thus I term it a disease, like curable cancer). I am on meds and I still have social triggers and days of being in the dumps. Anyways, I understand having ADHD creates a disadvantage, but there's so many that have it. So then if they all got "accommodations" for it then there'd be people without ADHD saying "Hey, I got Parkinson's and I don't get any special treatment?"

So what I'm saying is a lot of people should have a handicap; but there's just so many different disorder's that the only one's who do get the help are the one's who are SEVERELY disabled. And if more disorders were to be accommodated, I doubt ADHD would be one of the accepted one's. It's life changing, but not life-threatening.
Yes, I also think the level of impairment should determine whether one is
entitled to accomodations.

But it seems you are saying that physical impairment (or handicaps) are
worse than mental impairments. I do not agree with that thought.

My son-in-law has Parkinson's. I'm not aware he gets any accomodations
other than time off for ongoing testing and other doctor appointments.

Maybe that's because no one has figured out any helpful accomodations
for that particular disorder.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (06-18-15)
Old 05-04-13, 05:11 PM

WhenIGrowUp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorb View Post
I am reading this and wondering what is going to happen to my son. He is a good child and wants to do well in school but he has ADD and just cant do all of the things they want him to at once. He has 5 classes and honestly I think he can only keep up with maybe 3. Right now he has 4 F's and one C due to not completing homework and failing tests he doesnt let me know he needs to study for. I am trying to help him but he lies about the homework. He lies all the time saying he doesnt have any to do. I know he can figure it will hurt his grade but mentally I dont think he gets it. I dont know what to do??
This is an almost perfect description of me and I know that what I'm doing is wrong and yet somehow I can't seem to get my act together. The original post includes "Actually completing homework" but I don't. I want to, but I don't.

Does anyone else with ADHD/ADD have the lying/not doing work at all problem, and what do you think we should ask teachers/parents to do when it happens/to prevent it from happening?

And I know some people might say its up to me to stop it from happening, but I've tried and I need to try something different.
Old 08-03-13, 09:32 AM
Jr Member

derppy is on a distinguished road

#8 really caused me to have a constant dislike of many teachers throughout school.
Ended up being a huge ******* to a bunch of teachers because they would get on my *** about things that in my mind I truly was trying my hardest to do.

If I could go back and just deal with their crap I definitely would...

Pain in the *** trying to get into universities with a high SAT and a mediocre GPA....
Old 08-04-13, 02:40 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation

Many high school teachers believe that kids should be able to handle the workload and often forget that kids with a LD can struggle still. I found the most trouble with Organization. They got on my case a lot yet I still pulled A. Notes were pointless too.
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this I’m going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"