ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TEENS AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH ADD/ADHD > Homework & School
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Homework & School This forum is for teens with AD/HD talk about homework and other school related issues.

Old 12-27-13, 01:40 PM

Michio is on a distinguished road
Re: 12 Things ADHD High Schoolers want their Teachers to Know

Thank you for this post.

Number 10 in particular almost defines my reaction to my ADHD. I nearly got straight Cs in my first semester in College because I didn't want to have to be "that kid with accommodations". When I finally used them and got diagnosed and proscribed medication, my grades skyrocketed by at least a full letter grade each class. I went from a C, 2 C-, one B+ and 1 A- to to As, one A-, one B- and one pending.
Old 12-29-13, 04:29 PM

hs_sci_teacher is on a distinguished road

That is precisely what I thought when I read this list. I'm a first year teacher and trying very hard to be a better teacher for my AD/HD students.
Old 04-06-14, 06:41 PM

afox95 is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed when I was 8 or so but my mother did not want to treat me. I didn't even know what it was and never thought I had it until I just sat down and wondered why it took me almost two hours to write essays and my peers 30 minutes. I identify with this post the most. I lose things constantly and am very unorganized. Concentration is nearly unachievable, even if it's just my friends talking to me for more than 10 seconds, when I either tune them out, or interrupt them.I am naturally gifted but my aspiration to take the most rigorous courses I could at my HS put me in a very bad spot. These courses require a cohesive understanding of the material, aka, studying. With out these classes I had a 3.6 GPA from just tests, because I rarely got around to doing homework. So I was ok. I am struggling because I've yet to study effectively even once. So there's where I am now. I started Adderall yesterday, 20mg a day, two IR's. I know it's extremely early to start evaluating, but so far I don't feel much. I've yet to notice a difference. It's the weekend so I haven't been to school which will be the real test, but I just feel a little calmer. The only negative side effects I've experienced is rapid heartbeat, which makes me think that if I'm not really experiencing positive or negative side effects that I need a higher dose. Anyways, I'm sort of losing confidence, no "fog" has lifted, no epiphany that I've been fighting an uphill battle my whole life. But we'll see I guess. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-14, 02:42 AM
Jr Member

ZehRed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamant1988 View Post
I don't like having special accomodations for myself either but I will deal with it if it gets me to where I need to be. I use them sometimes out of courtesy of other students, if I'm being brash and impulsive it's in my best interest to let them get their work done, at least. No one else should have to fail school because I have ADD.
Screw the others. School is competition.
Old 07-03-14, 02:54 AM

Worldwonder1454 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Do I have ADD give me answers help

Hi my 13-year-old girl that wants know she has ADD I can never pay attention to what people are saying and I always announced people call me stupid because I can never remember peoples names and or what features talking about doing this day I was have to go up and acid teacher just about everything she had already gone through because I just simply can't pay attention a matter how hard I try although I still tended to fit very well in school because I pretend to be the cool kid in school but just asked that way for attention as a fairly well social life but it's not the one that I would want I would like to be the person that IM that haven't a fake being this way because I don't want people to know just how hard I am I always forget what I I went upstairs for and I tend to be very messy whenever seven mind to something it doesn't really Standerfer long the only day I can pay attention to and really focus on his basketball because I love it so much i'm always the last one to finish testing quizzes in school and I have to raise my hand whenever teacher asked who still wasn't finished this is been going on my whole life in school I don't really like it anymore I used to but people yesterday catch onto my little game someone please help me can always student still have ADD
Old 12-08-14, 05:27 PM

Kelly K 1314 is on a distinguished road

all of my teachers get mad when I don't have homework and one said I was a lair when I told her I really did do the work, but have huge organizanization problems. but I have all common symptoms and can relate to almost everything on this forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly K 1314 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (12-08-14)
Old 12-18-14, 11:33 AM

manofscience is on a distinguished road

i just moved because of my parents job and had one of my new teachers ask me if english is my first language (it is) after i kind of zoned out and didnt hear her talking to me, which is pretty embarassing. but yeah. i dont know why they can't ask things like that in private.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manofscience For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (03-17-15), rickymooston (03-07-15)
Old 03-17-15, 11:11 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofscience View Post
i dont know why they can't ask things like that in private.
You are right. My suggestion, talk to the teacher after school and make sure that next time, they reserve such discussion in private.
Old 03-17-15, 11:46 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,043 Times in 7,234 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofscience View Post
i just moved because of my parents job and had one of my new teachers ask me if english is my first language (it is) after i kind of zoned out and didnt hear her talking to me, which is pretty embarassing. but yeah. i dont know why they can't ask things like that in private.
My teacher asked my parents if English was my first language in high school. They said it's his only language. It still irritates me to this day.

I would like that teacher to know, I graduated from a major university with an advanced degree in English.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 03-18-15 at 12:00 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
casper (10-23-16), Little Missy (07-18-15), Lunacie (03-18-15), namazu (03-18-15)
Old 07-17-15, 11:09 PM

marcy687 is on a distinguished road

i really like number 5. i want so badly to understand so many things. i wish i could pick up a book and read it, and it's not that i am disinterested, i just have too many thoughts.
Old 07-17-15, 11:50 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

From a non high schooler...

Dont expect me to be good at everything. Help me become better at wbat I'm talented at.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 11-27-15, 08:30 PM

MisterShinto is on a distinguished road

all teachers need to get a class in ADD, ADHD and autism, i was a realy realy hieper active, all the signs of ADD wur there, but my teachers wurent smart inuf yet.

i was the smartest student they have ever seen, i know how i could get punishment and just chill and talk with my principal, he was so nice!
Old 10-19-16, 04:33 PM

asiAchiever is on a distinguished road

For nearly everything in that list, I could remember certain events that occurred that I wish could have gone differently pre-diagnosis. However, for me, I would forget about my homework quite often. Also, I never really had to have special accommodations nor did I behave very disruptively, possibly because I didn't have many of the hyperactivity symptoms.
Old 11-12-16, 05:52 PM

ADHDSquid is on a distinguished road

I love this entire list. I'm homechooled, and at things like co-op and swimming, my teachers and coaches think I'm lazy, but I'm trying my hardest
Old 02-14-17, 09:31 PM

FluffyCat is on a distinguished road

For me, I have a very high IQ so I perform really highly in class which makes me stand out and teachers call on me to "help other students" which I am not very good at as I get frustrated easily. Instead of not calling on me, my teachers feel that they are helping by calling on me more.