ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-06, 12:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Uminchu has disabled reputation
A post in favor of being medicated

I didn't take any meds today. Decided to take my wife to lunch. No big problems there -- just minor things like forgetting where the restaurant was.

Coming home, wife says she's going to go right back out so don't put the car inside the gate. Fine says I, putting on the parking brake, leaving the engine running, and getting out.

Only thing is, I had forgotten to put the car in park... It started rolling down the driveway, and crashed through the gate by the time I got back in the car and shut it down. Luckily the gate wasn't locked.

So add driving to the list of things that I am better off doing medicated.
Old 05-24-06, 01:02 AM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Yikes! I am so scared of driving right now, I can see myself doing something like that too.
Old 05-24-06, 01:36 AM
Contributor

Bob1951 will become famous soon enough
U,

You a riot. Have you torn off a gas pump yet? Ran red lights while fam is screeming. I'll tell you my worse one, very embarrassing, damn, I fear jail time, but, I walked into the ladies room at a restaurant and then said to self, "what the hell is she doing in here." After noticing lack of urinals, "what the hell am I doing in here."

Don't worry about no park. We get a fair share of ice in these parts and there is a fair share of hills. One such hill was in the driveway of a former residence. Hill, ice, car in park, car slide down the drive without me in it. That "Park" thing is overated.

Subtropical moderator, from CA? Ice is frozen water. Very slippery. I know, I am a wise assteresk.

Bob
I think the conviction and the intensity and the passion and the sincerity - the honesty - you feel these qualities when you hear this record, and that's what makes it so compelling - Joshua Redman on Trane's "Love Supreme"

It is what makes us ADHDers compelling also - Bob1951
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-06, 03:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

I did live in Ohio for two years, and I'll take typhoons over snowstorms any day. Yes, I managed to spin out on the ice a few times...

My favorite was "black ice" -- you know, ice on the road that gets covered with dirt and crud so it looks just like normal road? Hitting that stuff at 70 mph will definitely get the old heart pumping!
Old 05-24-06, 10:52 AM

literati has disabled reputation
Uminchu you had me ROFL'ing . Hey, at least you can "function" when off meds. I took a small vacation for two days last week and I could barely peel myself off the couch. But I love the part about forgetting where the restaurant is. Your wife must have been so amused...
Old 05-24-06, 11:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

It wasn't a total loss getting lost on the way to the restaurant -- I had also forgotten that today was its day off.

So we found a new place a ways up the road. It was OK, so not a total loss.
Old 05-24-06, 03:01 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
I get Road Rage without my meds and if they wear off while I am Driving the passenger usually takes over
Old 05-26-06, 05:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
I can relate Uminchu!

When I first started taking meds, I forgot to get them refilled before they ran out. I'm driving back from picking them off (meds are in the bag not my system) and my attention wanders and I almost hit a truck head on! I think there is a tendency to do even worse off meds than you did before you ever started them -- my theory is that before you were used to yourself being that way and made accomodations -- once you've been on meds you're a little less vigilant. Over time though I've found I've adapted and don't run head on into other vehicles even off my medication!

Scattered

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Old 05-26-06, 04:23 PM

chloe516 will become famous soon enough
I have noticed a big difference on and off meds since I started as well. And, like you Uminchu, I was very reluctant to start. I am much more sociable and patient.

Car stories from the last 6 months before meds:

1. car accident (technically not my fault, beginning of 3 car fender bender)
2. almost totalled my car without leaving the parking space rear tire started scraping curb, tried to straighten out by pulling forrward, accidentally hit gas too hard and ran up on curb, dented car's computer 1/2 inch!
3. too many close calls from tailgating to count
4. hit a patch of black ice (was drinking a hot chocolate while singing along to the radio) ran off road and got stuck in snow, car ok, but had flat tire.

Since then, still tailgate and drive too fast (I honestly don't mean to tailgate!!! I just don't notice the cars or how fast I was going! )

"Success is the prize for those who stand true to their ideas!" -Josh S. Hinds

Old 05-26-06, 07:28 PM

Redhead will become famous soon enough
Sorry Chloe516, but I had to giggle about your list! Perhaps there should be a new catagory of coverage offered by car insurance policies...something to do with intent verses outcome would do it! Too cute! Please tell me you appreciate the humor, rather than beat yourself up all the time? R
Old 05-26-06, 07:38 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Hey chloe don't feel bad, I have not WRECKED any vehicles but once actually drove head-on into those immovable cement posts at the gas station while merrily goofing off with my kids .
Old 05-26-06, 08:44 PM

chloe516 will become famous soon enough
I do laugh about it later, more when I don't end up having to pay the repair costs!

"Success is the prize for those who stand true to their ideas!" -Josh S. Hinds

Old 05-26-06, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe516
I do laugh about it later, more when I don't end up having to pay the repair costs!
Yes that experience of mine is only funny because the dent was something I was willing to live with. Had it been a better car, had I not intended to get another one soon anyway, it probably would not be as amusing an anecdote now would it?
Old 05-26-06, 11:37 PM
Contributor

boardtabitz has disabled reputation
My add has always made me a good driver. I've managed to avoid lots of things that would have been the other drivers fault because of my ability to scan all over the place and put my makeup on at the same time - im not kidding.
so i thought that stuff about add drivers being bad drivers was a bunch of bull until i had to teach my add teen. first of all he was sixteen before he even showed an interest in getting a permit. one of the first times i let him drive somewhere was on a weekend - doesn't take his meds then cause i might ask him to do a chore - we get to the destination. he gets out and i get out, walk around the car and get in the drivers seat. go to put it in drive and discover it is already in drive. i had just walked around the front of the car too.lol thank god my parking brake was a good one. now i ask if he has taken his meds first.