ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 06-11-06, 12:02 AM

Buddha has disabled reputation
What is the Average Dose of Concerta?

I take 54mg of Concerta. I think everything is going well but I also have OCD which makes me second guess every thing I do. I am always wondering if my meds are too high or low.

Anyway, I was wondering:

1.) What is the average dose of Conerta that is usually taken by kids/adults
2.) How do you know when your meds are too high
3.) How do you know if they are too low

Again, this is a more my OCD talking that my ADD.

Thanks

P.S For those that follow the soap opera that is my life, I talked to my doctor in of all places the super market. He said that he WOULD talk to my shrink and if things go well prescribe me my stims through his office. Family doc giving me my meds.. Woo hoo.
Old 06-11-06, 01:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

chloe516 will become famous soon enough
I'm not sure if there is an average dose. Dosages really depend on the person. I'm on 76 mgs in the morning, and that only lasts until 1 or 2, so then I take regular Ritalin in the afternoon.

I just try to think about how well I function on the dosage. My family, friends, and I have noticed a difference on meds, but I'm actually not sure how non-ADHD I should be on medication. I think it's really a lot of trial and error.

If 54 is working for you, great! Keep it up!

"Success is the prize for those who stand true to their ideas!" -Josh S. Hinds

Old 06-11-06, 09:05 AM

Well,

With Ritalin I knew when it was gone. With conerta I can read after 8pm. I take the med at 8am. I have to take Melatonin 3mg to sleep at night because It is still at least keeping me from sleeping.

I really don't like the short acting ritalin generic pills. Ups/downs suck.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-06, 12:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Vickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of light
Your dose is not high or low according to the data (studies) that I have read. In studies the most effective range for kids was 36 - 54mg/day, and up to 72mg/day adolescents. The current maximum dose is 2mg/kg of body weight. There are clinical studies going on with higher doses at this time.
hth
vickie
Old 06-11-06, 12:35 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
I am over the so-called "max dose". I take 81mgs a day.
Old 06-11-06, 05:02 PM

Thanks

Thanks... What about the other questions?

1. ) how to know you need more
2.) how to know you need less

???
Old 06-11-06, 05:44 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
1. ) how to know you need more...I feel relief significantly then suffer a sharp rebound effect just when I still need focus (in other words it does not last long enough for me to get things done in my life).
2.) how to know you need less...have not had this happen yet. I have been very fortunate in that the first med I tried is the one that seems to work for me. I believe the 81mgs is working fine since I can actually go to sleep focused.
Old 06-11-06, 06:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

chloe516 will become famous soon enough
I have yet to feel the need to take less, except for when I first tried regular Ritalin 3x per day, and that wasn't so much the dose, I think, but the switch from Concerta, I was only 6mg per day less on the Concerta. Basically, I felt jittery and had a bit of jaw clenching from the regular Ritalin when I first started, but that went away after a few days.

I think that the 76 words well for me until it wears off. I can tell I need more when I feel some or little improvement, but try a bit extra and notice an improvement. I had some leftover 18mgs from my first prescription, so after a bit at one dosage, if I think it may not be enough, I just try one extra 18mg to see if it wordks. I think the 76 is good for as long as it lasts, it just doesn't last long enough for me. It lasts 6 or 7 hours for me. Hence the need for the extra in the afternoon, although I think I will ask about getting extra Concerta for the afternoon, rather than the Ritalin. I just prefer Concerta. The only side effect I have is some dehydration.

"Success is the prize for those who stand true to their ideas!" -Josh S. Hinds

Old 06-12-06, 11:53 AM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
i was on 144 mg before I stopped it...
Old 06-12-06, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspen1018
i was on 144 mg before I stopped it...
Just curious as to why you stopped it?
Old 06-12-06, 03:08 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
my doctor says i develop too rapid of a "tolerance" to it, not in the sense of abuse but as far as the "behavioral effect" having a duration of 2 weeks before needing a dose increase... I had the same problem with adderall yet I never seem to have that issue with dexedrine at all i have actually decreased the dose and do a lot better with the short acting version the downfall is 4 doses per day...
Old 06-12-06, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspen1018
my doctor says i develop too rapid of a "tolerance" to it, not in the sense of abuse but as far as the "behavioral effect" having a duration of 2 weeks before needing a dose increase... I had the same problem with adderall yet I never seem to have that issue with dexedrine at all i have actually decreased the dose and do a lot better with the short acting version the downfall is 4 doses per day...
Ahhh thanks and I understand! We are currently determining whether tolerance is going to become an issue ourselves. So far (on this above-max dose) so good.
Old 06-12-06, 11:43 PM

Hmmmm

I wonder if tolerence is a big issue with Conerta or any other stims.... I may make a main board post about this issue because I want a lot of input.
Old 06-13-06, 12:46 AM
Contributor

Proscrire is on a distinguished road
2.) how to know you need less: felt like a 4 hour panic attack only without the panic. Pounding heart, shaking, mind racing like a chipmunk on crack
Old 06-13-06, 08:59 AM

I am going up because I am doing things that seem a little compulsive and im not relaxed as before.

Mind you , I do still have the ability to read for a while and I have no irritability. I just think I need to try the 36x2 in morn to get me back to 20/20/20 that I was on pre concerta.