ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 01-01-18, 01:01 AM

Anna26 is on a distinguished road
Got my Meds (Concerta 18mg) But Im terrified to take them! HELP

Hi all, Im (28 YO, 118lbs) relatively new here and as my recent and first post outlines I've recently been Diagnosed with ADHD and as of Friday Ive been given my meds. Ive done hours and HOURS of research and now Im completely anxious and terrified to try them, so much so that I can't even take them!
Is this normal?
I don't know what to expect and Im freaking out about what my family will think of me...Will I look or seem cracked up?
Also will I be cleaning all day, everyday? (Yes my house is a bit disastrous)
Any advice would truly help...Im freaking out even though Ive waited for this day for 28 years!
Old 01-01-18, 01:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,263 Times in 5,904 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Got my Meds (Concerta 18mg) But Im terrified to take them! HELP

Nothing to worry about, and 28mg is tiny.

Go For It,
Ian
Old 01-01-18, 04:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

CharlesH is a jewel in the roughCharlesH is a jewel in the roughCharlesH is a jewel in the rough

That's a normal and very safe small starting dose. Stimulants go in and out of your system quickly, so if Concerta ends up not being the right medicine for you, then it's just one day out of your life that you spent trying it. And yes, it's common for people to have cognitive anxiety about trying new medications. Try not to worry too much about your worrying!
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-01-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-18, 10:50 AM
Contributor

Swissy is just really niceSwissy is just really niceSwissy is just really niceSwissy is just really nice

When I was apprehensive about trying my meds for the first time, I reminded myself that children are prescribed the same meds at sometimes higher doses and are not harmed. And no, you will not clean all day every day. But you will be able to start something and follow through to finish before beginning something else, so things will eventually become more organized on a constant basis.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swissy For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-01-18)
Old 01-01-18, 11:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

18mg is a very low dose.

I've recently increased my dosage to 36mg and I still feel understimulated.

Whilst everyone is different, out of the three ADHD medications I have taken (Ritalin, Elvanse & Concerta), I have experienced the fewest side effects on the Concerta.

Hopefully you will have a good reaction to the drug. Even though I'm quite to new to the medication process (it's been about 3 months now), I'm beginning to suspect that slow release forms of stimulants are not terribly effective on their own as they seldom last for their reported duration.
Old 01-01-18, 12:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 24,127 Times in 11,163 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Will you look or seem "cracked up" to your family or friends? Not likely.

When my granddaughter started taking Concerta at age 11 it was wonderful.
She didn't automatically argue with everything, before she even had a chance
to think about it.

But ... she still didn't clean her room.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-01-18)
Old 01-01-18, 06:41 PM

Update!

Update!: Thank you all for your insightful and kind responses, if not for them I would have chickened out ONCE AGAIN!
I took my meds (Concerta 18mg) at 3:15pm and I feel absolutely NOTHING! I know some people say they feel nothing and perhaps thereís a slight change or feeling/ďbuzzĒ but I feel ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I actually just took a nap otherwise I would have updated earlier with this post

I should mention that prior to taking my meds I took some vitamins including:
B Complex
Vitamin D3
Zinc
Omega 3-6

Does this have any affect on the Concerta?
Also is there any point in continuing or should I simply get a higher dose?

As always, Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-02-18, 12:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

CharlesH is a jewel in the roughCharlesH is a jewel in the roughCharlesH is a jewel in the rough

Don't look for physical effects. In fact, those are side effects, so you should be happy you don't have them.

You want to notice the cognitive effects. For instance, if you try doing a task, do you find that it's easier to sustain focus? When you're not doing anything, do you notice your brain being less noisy with random thoughts?

Everyone reacts differently to the medications. You just have to start at a small dose, and increase gradually as instructed by your doctor until you find the right dose. If Concerta doesn't work, then you try a different medication. What are you doctor's instructions? (You should follow them!)

I haven't heard anything before about those vitamins interfering with Concerta. In general, make sure to get good sleep the night before and to eat a nutritious, filling meal. This ensures that your brain is in a receptive state to receive the therapeutic effects of medication.
Lunacie (01-02-18)
Old 01-02-18, 01:22 AM

Hey there! I literally just started Concerta 18mg today! As far as I can tell the only difference Iíve noticed is the white/background noise in my head is gone and that is a pleasant and welcoming surprise. I donít feel motivated or energized/compelled to clean and organize which I struggle immensely with Cognitively. Iím hoping an increase in my dose will address this. Other than the very subtle clear mindedness, I still have my hyperactive bursts of immaturity (Definately ME), I have my sense of humour acutely intact, and in all other respects Iím still me.

My anxiety has also subsided and I think ADHD is the catalyst. Having all these thoughts/plans and ideas but never attaining/or being able to materialize gave me a permanent feeling of anxiety.

Itís still my first day (I took it at 3:15pm today) so I Definately need to continue for at least a week.

Is this the optimal dose/results for most people or is it supposed to be better? Shouldnít I be more productive?
Old 01-02-18, 02:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

The purpose of ADHD meds is not to give you artificial motivation to do things that you fundamentally don't want to do. Very few people want to do their chores, regardless of whether or not they have ADHD.

Don't get me wrong, ADHD people definitely have a harder time than others with doing chores, but no medication will turn you into a super-human, at least not in the long-run (it's common for stimulants to cause intense motivation initially, but this quickly fades away).

Yes, definitely follow your doctor's instructions and continue on this dose for another week. Your dose is lower than average, but still within a normal range. Everyone is different, so try not to compare yourself to others. Think of it as getting fitted for glasses. You want the glasses that fit you, not the glasses that fit the average person.

Yes, I think the reduction in your head's background noise is a good sign. If you can bring yourself to start some tasks, then that would offer additional information to help you evaluate the med's effects.
Lunacie (01-02-18)