ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-02-06, 11:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,426 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
Share Your Adderall Success Stories

I saw this in the Strattera forum and decided to start one here!

Too often we read about the negativeness of Adderall, rather than the wonderful things it's doing for us.

Quote:
- What dosage works for you?

- What was your titration (dosage path; i.e. 5mg to 10mg to 20mg) and how long to reach your target dosage?

- What was the single most benefit of taking Adderall?

* Please do not post anything negative or stray from what is described above. As a moderator, I will edit the content or remove the post.

Share your Adderall Success Story!!

Here's mine:

I've been on Adderall IR since 1999. A week after I started taking it I was noticing the full effects of what Adderall was doing for me.
I was in college when I was first diagnosed and put on Adderall (IR).
I was no longer falling asleep in classes, I was able to cut my amount of study time by at least 1/2. I was learning, rather than just memorizing.
I was getting the best grades I had ever gotten and made the Dean's List for the first time ever.

Many of my classes were in "fish bowl" classrooms, meaning one wall was completely glass and you could see everyone who was hanging out and entering/exiting the building. Although it sometimes still distracted me, I was able to cue into the lecture and continue on. Before Adderall, if I looked out the window, I was a goner.

7 years later, I'm in a masters program and still going strong. There are definitely areas in my life I'm still working on (organization, procrastination, to name a few), but I'm so much more confident because of the successes I've had with school.

It makes me so happy I can be at a family function or out socializing and not get too distracted by other events/conversations around me. I can hear them, but am not taken in by them.

It helps me, plus has enabled me to learn how to organize my thoughts better, rather than them being so chaotic. It helps my head stay on straight.

Adderall has helped me function more fully, enabled me to work on goals and develop coping skills. I'm a happier, more confident person than I used to be because I am succeeding.

Courtney

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)

Last edited by timh; 08-16-06 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: Merged threads.
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to livinginchaos For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-23-10), auntchris (01-10-10), baasje91 (07-04-17), badcats (02-02-10), BellaVita (09-22-12), Berlin (06-07-10), Breezlesauce (01-26-15), BudalaADDzena (02-19-10), cry.about.it... (03-01-16), DanielDom (07-20-11), Dano82 (12-23-13), JoeyBJoey (06-28-11), Jordanna (02-13-14), kattterina (10-02-12), Kingflow (11-19-10), meisam317 (04-12-11), Mignon (11-18-10), moni123 (07-23-11), nanajoy (05-09-17), NHite143 (07-10-12), pcassiano (11-07-10), pechemignonne (08-05-11), rickymooston (09-10-12), rockydaydreamer (08-18-12), scstudent (04-09-12), Smooth (08-11-08), socalffcrazy (07-18-13), superstressed (11-07-09), Tendtodigress (02-18-13), vpilar (06-16-14), Water Boy (10-20-12)
Old 04-04-06, 07:41 AM

scuro has disabled reputation
I have to agree with you here. There seems to be a big increase in the number of negative drug posts on the board. Whats that all about? Perhaps we have a lot of new members who have issues with drugs. But you are right, we shouldn't forget that meds make a huge difference to millions of Americans.
auntchris (01-10-10), cry.about.it... (03-01-16), Dano82 (12-23-13)
Old 04-04-06, 04:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

panthoot is on a distinguished road
That's wonderful, livinginchaos!

My life was a barely contained disaster through most of my 20s. I dropped out of college numerous times. My credit was terrible because I would forget to pay bills on time and then never get around to dealing with collections people. I got fired from jobs for not showing up on time. I lost my driver's license twice because I didn't renew my registration in time, got fix-it tickets, and then missed the deadline to fix it or appear in court. I lost two cars to the city when they were towed for unpaid parking tickets (up to a thousand dollars each), and I couldn't afford to get them back. I was supporting myself and paying rent, but barely. Some days I just could not seem to get out of the house at all- I'd get up, shower, and feel exhausted and have to sit down for a while. This would last until the day was almost gone. I thought I was lazy and I felt ashamed and went to great lengths to hide how little I did from others. I drank too much and too frequently. I'd never filed taxes in my life because I had no idea how to do it, and kept putting it off. I made little enough money that I always reasoned they'd owe me, so it was ok, but I still lived in fear I was wrong.

BTW, the picture I'm painting is of some total loser (which I was), but that is not how people would have described me. They would have used words like "free spirit" or some such, since I mostly seemed cheery and together, if flakey, from outside.

Since being on Adderall, I have been insanely productive. I went from failing out of my statistics class last summer to getting the highest grade on the midterm this semester. I have paid all my outstanding bills and parking tickets (and even renewed my car's registration before it was due). I'm not late for things anymore. I can't have more than one drink without feeling sick, but I find I don't even want to drink. I started working out regularly. I met with a tax attorney to file all my back taxes. I made a dentist's appointment without being in pain. I have not spent a single day lying around my house doing nothing in the past few months. I have a budget, and a scheduler that I actually use.

All these are things that would not have happened before Adderall, and the funny thing is I'm not even trying! It just happens. It kind of breaks my heart to think of how often and how hard I tried to fix all the things that were wrong with my life, only to have it fall apart again right away. I always thought I was lazy and unmotivated, but apparently I'm really energetic and productive when my brain is fixed! Who knew?

Adderall has no side effects other than making me unable to drink (good!) and unable to overeat (good!). I love it so much, and hope anyone who has the problems I did can find a drug that works half as well for them.
The Following 56 Users Say Thank You to panthoot For This Useful Post:
addinbc (01-21-13), AddYourAll (03-30-12), baasje91 (07-04-17), badcats (02-02-10), Bambi20 (09-08-12), bassetmaster (06-04-16), Berlin (06-07-10), betweenthebars (05-14-10), BMB1079 (11-11-12), bricaru (09-22-10), BudalaADDzena (02-19-10), ChillMike04 (05-27-10), cry.about.it... (03-01-16), Dana K (12-20-09), Fima (09-21-09), Fishstix (04-12-10), heresomewhere (05-04-12), jessnobx (11-26-13), JLambz (12-02-12), jmcv1983 (06-09-13), johnny s. (04-28-09), jsmith567 (01-06-09), Just Cuz (02-03-11), Kingflow (11-19-10), ks2358 (07-28-11), Leann8806 (01-14-15), Lil'Miss_Spacey (10-17-08), M&Ms (03-10-09), Mamapepper (11-09-15), Mignon (11-18-10), Mindfeed (12-12-09), momtootwo (04-15-10), moni123 (07-23-11), moonshine (08-04-08), Mrs.Combobulate (04-12-12), MyBoobah (08-02-10), Neander (09-14-10), Nick The Newbie (04-15-11), NotaMidget (09-10-11), Nytol1 (01-03-12), Pdx7217 (11-05-14), pechemignonne (08-05-11), PickMeUpRoadie (09-26-09), PieceInPeaceOut (08-30-12), sam.boone2 (01-30-16), sheila065 (02-14-11), stevepmd (01-11-16), stillcatchingup (03-12-15), superstressed (11-07-09), Surly Dave (01-11-11), Tendtodigress (02-18-13), TheRealShow (10-22-12), Travis (09-12-11), vpilar (06-16-14), Water Boy (10-20-12), Xtina143 (12-13-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-06, 04:47 PM

Brandy has disabled reputation
It has been a lifesaver for me to. Everyone talks about the negative side effects, but I have thought about it and every medication on the market hasve negative side effects. Like Tylenol, it hurts you liver, very bad, and its over the counter. I think as long as the positive effects outweight the negative ones its ok. And for me taking adderall, the positive ones truely outweigh the negative ones, by 100 lbs. lol. By the way great story!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brandy For This Useful Post:
GimmeShelter (10-24-09), Leann8806 (01-14-15)
Old 04-04-06, 06:12 PM

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuro
I have to agree with you here. There seems to be a big increase in the number of negative drug posts on the board. Whats that all about? Perhaps we have a lot of new members who have issues with drugs. But you are right, we shouldn't forget that meds make a huge difference to millions of Americans.
You know the score as a teacher, Scuro. People are always more likely to complain (or at least seek help) when they have a problem, then to remember to take time to say "thank you" or this works great! How many thank yous do you think the average teacher (above first grade ) gets compared to complaints? Unfortunately, just human nature.

I also think sometimes we also expect perfection in our lives. Nobody gets that -- ADD or no. Medication can be very helpful, but is seldom a perfect solution to all our problems. Which just means we get to work on our shortcoming the old fashion way, just like the rest of humanity -- meds just frequently make that effort a lot more productive.

Good thread topic!

Scattered

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scattered For This Useful Post:
bassetmaster (06-04-16), tired1823 (03-29-11)
Old 04-04-06, 08:04 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthoot
That's wonderful, livinginchaos!

My life was a barely contained disaster through most of my 20s. I dropped out of college numerous times. My credit was terrible because I would forget to pay bills on time and then never get around to dealing with collections people. I got fired from jobs for not showing up on time. I lost my driver's license twice because I didn't renew my registration in time, got fix-it tickets, and then missed the deadline to fix it or appear in court. I lost two cars to the city when they were towed for unpaid parking tickets (up to a thousand dollars each), and I couldn't afford to get them back. I was supporting myself and paying rent, but barely. Some days I just could not seem to get out of the house at all- I'd get up, shower, and feel exhausted and have to sit down for a while. This would last until the day was almost gone. I thought I was lazy and I felt ashamed and went to great lengths to hide how little I did from others. I drank too much and too frequently. I'd never filed taxes in my life because I had no idea how to do it, and kept putting it off. I made little enough money that I always reasoned they'd owe me, so it was ok, but I still lived in fear I was wrong.

BTW, the picture I'm painting is of some total loser (which I was), but that is not how people would have described me. They would have used words like "free spirit" or some such, since I mostly seemed cheery and together, if flakey, from outside.

Since being on Adderall, I have been insanely productive. I went from failing out of my statistics class last summer to getting the highest grade on the midterm this semester. I have paid all my outstanding bills and parking tickets (and even renewed my car's registration before it was due). I'm not late for things anymore. I can't have more than one drink without feeling sick, but I find I don't even want to drink. I started working out regularly. I met with a tax attorney to file all my back taxes. I made a dentist's appointment without being in pain. I have not spent a single day lying around my house doing nothing in the past few months. I have a budget, and a scheduler that I actually use.

All these are things that would not have happened before Adderall, and the funny thing is I'm not even trying! It just happens. It kind of breaks my heart to think of how often and how hard I tried to fix all the things that were wrong with my life, only to have it fall apart again right away. I always thought I was lazy and unmotivated, but apparently I'm really energetic and productive when my brain is fixed! Who knew?

Adderall has no side effects other than making me unable to drink (good!) and unable to overeat (good!). I love it so much, and hope anyone who has the problems I did can find a drug that works half as well for them.
Wow, thanks so much for posting that. :-]
That first part is me to a T. I've been feeling a whole ton of guilt and shame lift since my recent diagnosis. I thought I was just... I don't know. Lazy? Unambitious? Broken? Plus I've been misdiagnosed as bipolar for the past seven years, which added more confusion. I've wanted to do so much but after enough failures I've been too scared to try anything anymore. It's looked pretty hopeless for many years now.

I just started Adderall IR today. I'm really optimistic about it. I've had a great day. I feel a little silly because I'm sitting here tearing up a little just thinking about how long I've been wishing for something, ANYTHING, to let me function like a normal person. My day went really well with the Adderall. I am hopeful that this will be what works for me. I haven't felt much hope in a really long time.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to meriellyn For This Useful Post:
aarondev (09-13-10), auntchris (01-10-10), crusty (08-30-10), fropunka (06-22-10), Gonzohst6869 (05-20-16), jessnobx (11-26-13), Kingflow (11-19-10), Leann8806 (01-14-15), Mignon (11-18-10), millzclassics (09-28-10), MyBoobah (08-02-10), Oasis77 (02-26-11), Surly Dave (01-11-11), Tendtodigress (02-18-13), TheRealShow (10-22-12), Travis (09-12-11), Water Boy (10-20-12)
Old 04-04-06, 09:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

panthoot is on a distinguished road
Oh, I'm so happy for you! Getting a diagnosis (at 29, finally) changed my whole worldview. Rather than feeling doomed, I felt like now I had something I could work around and fix.

BTW, I went through about 5 months of drug trials (wellbutrin, strattera, concerta, adderall) before I found anything that worked for me, so don't give up hope if the first few things you try don't have much of an effect.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to panthoot For This Useful Post:
aarondev (09-13-10), bakontrk (08-17-10), crusty (01-12-11), justme76 (11-30-18), sheila065 (02-14-11), Travis (09-12-11)
Old 04-04-06, 10:27 PM

Brandy has disabled reputation
The same happened to me but i feel good now!
Old 04-06-06, 05:02 PM
Jr Member

jaymarc is on a distinguished road
Mine is short but sweet: I was always somewhat crappy student in high school in college but I always did real well on standardized tests and such, but I ended up with a 2.7GPA in undergrad. After undergrad, I become proactive and decided to take care of my ADHD, I fought long and hard, went to grad school took the MCAT and found myself a pretty good allopathic (MD program) medical school. The first year was extremely tough but I have been doing extremely well and while my grades are somewhat mediocre I have scored in the 90% on most of my shelf exams (standardized testss for med school). Right now I am preparing for probably the most important exam in my career, Step I of the licensing exam. so to say the least i am nervous but i will keep you updated.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jaymarc For This Useful Post:
annamarie (10-10-09), BudalaADDzena (02-19-10), Leann8806 (01-14-15), Nick The Newbie (04-15-11), Pdx7217 (11-05-14), Star123 (05-04-08), unepetitevoix (01-23-11), vpilar (06-16-14)
Old 06-13-06, 11:26 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about
Share your Adderall Success Stories

Please share with us your successes of taking Adderall (Instant Release or XR).
- What dosage works for you?

- What was your titration (dosage path; i.e. 5mg to 10mg to 20mg) and how long to reach your target dosage?

- What was the single most benefit of taking Adderall?

* Please do not post anything negative or stray from what is described above. As a moderator, I will edit the content or remove the post.

- "Tim's incessant talking is wearing on all of us." (comment on 4th grade report card)

Cocktail : Adderall XR (10mg AM), Lexapro (10mg), Strattera (40mg AM/40mg PM)
Old 06-13-06, 03:21 PM
Contributor

Bob1951 will become famous soon enough
Thanks Tim,

I am having good results with Adderall.

I am prescribed regular release 20mg AM, 20mg PM Adderall. I have tried 30mg XR also. What works best depends on my schedule. If I am going to be mostly doing one thing during the day, the 30mg XR works best. Otherwise I am better off with the 2 20 regular release. I only take a total of 40 those days when the load on my brain is high. I frequently take one or both weekend days off.

Titration path: 10mg Ritalin regular release 2x/day prescribed by family doctor. Started with shrink - shrinks ups the regular release Rit gradually to 80mg/day. Then switches me to 20mg Adderall XR. My focus was improving remarkedly all along but I still had problems with my moods - frequently depressed, anxious. Shrink adds Strattera to mix. Strattera works wonders with mood control and still had good focus. But the sexual side effects were intolerable. Shrink ups Adderall to current dose and terminates Strattera. Moods stayed stable. Back to family doctor.

The singularly best benefit of taking Adderall is the ability to focus and concentrate better than I ever thought possible. Work efficiency skyrocketed. I am much less inclined to go off on fun tangents and stick to the task at hand. However, where Adderall has left me short is in the ability to switch mental gears so to speak - go from one task to another. My damn brain gets locked into a thread, it doesn't want out. Never has. Some improvement with Adderall but not much.

I finding it very helpful to supplement Adderall with simple things like good scheduling and organization practices. Putting things back in their place when done and starting each day with a task list. Really simple but effective practices.

Good diet and exercise are also very helpful. I give my self a C- in those areas. They help to the degree that I do them.

Bob
I think the conviction and the intensity and the passion and the sincerity - the honesty - you feel these qualities when you hear this record, and that's what makes it so compelling - Joshua Redman on Trane's "Love Supreme"

It is what makes us ADHDers compelling also - Bob1951
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob1951 For This Useful Post:
DonPearson (04-11-17), Mignon (11-18-10), Mrs.Combobulate (04-12-12)
Old 06-13-06, 05:37 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
i dont have a success story with adderall but I am quite sharp with it's "chemical cousin" dexedrine though and for the anti-ADHD people and the FDA it's about the same... it has a bed rep of it's own as a diet pill
Old 06-25-06, 04:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

tinkerbelle is on a distinguished road
I've had lots of success with Adderall so far. I've been on it at the current dosage level for about 4 mos, and was tinkering with different levels for a few months before that.

I take 30 mg Adderall XR in the morning, then 10 mg IR (Barr) at 2 pm. If I don't take the IR, or take a lower dosage of XR, I fall asleep in the early afternoon and stay drowsy til bedtime.

I started with 10 mg XR for a month, then 20 mg XR for a month, then 30 mg XR for a month, then added an afternoon 10 mg IR and have been satisfied ever since.

My greatest benefits have been mental clarity and general productivity. I'm not sure which has really been more beneficial.
The Following User Says Thank You to tinkerbelle For This Useful Post:
vpilar (06-16-14)
Old 07-17-06, 09:27 PM

rawlo5660 is on a distinguished road
Adderall XR is great!

I finally got prescribed Adderall XR 10mg. I generally take 20mg as I have found that this dose lasts all day for me. I feel that it is far more beneficial than Ritalin. Adderall gives you more focus, enhances memory (at least for me), better confidence, does not make you crash, rids one of what I term "mumble mouth" (when your mouth can not catch up to your cognitive output), and enhances sociability. Unlike Ritalin, I found myself less wired more focused and generally a better person overall. I love Adderall XR.

Also I do not feel any withdrawl symptoms after using it, and can not take it one day without any craving.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rawlo5660 For This Useful Post:
aarondev (09-22-10), vpilar (06-16-14)
Old 08-15-06, 07:47 AM
Jr Member

cjfchris is on a distinguished road
Post Works great, but be careful...

I was started on Adderall XR 20 mg once a day about a month ago. I cannot begin to explain the relief I felt when, after battling GAD and depression all my life, I found something that treated these things as well as my ADHD. I also take 10mg Lexapro once a day, but I don't think I will be needing this much longer.

Yesterday my doctor changed my prescription to 20 mg IR Adderall twice a day. he did this to help with the fact that my body metabolizes Adderall quickly, and the XR would run out approximately 5-6 hours after I took it, leaving me tired and irritable.

One word of caution - do NOT take more than the prescibed dose. I decided to have a little "fun" with my XR's over the weekend, and ended up staying up for three days straight - NOT FUN! I could see even the most risk-averse person becoming addicted to this drug, mainly because IT WORKS!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cjfchris For This Useful Post:
aarondev (09-22-10), auntchris (01-10-10), bassetmaster (06-04-16), heresomewhere (05-04-12), NotaMidget (09-10-11), rokinuplate (12-20-14), vpilar (06-16-14)