ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 06-26-06, 05:57 PM
Jr Member

wingstogo is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Adderall & Ativan? Is this a common combo?

Hello everyone. Ive just recently been diagnosed with ADD and am taking 30 mg of addrall per day, on top of the 2 mg of ativan a day (for years) for anxiety. This combination has me very concerned, just curious if anyone else has taken these meds for an extended period of time and with what type results, etc? Thanks beforehand for any info provided.

Last edited by wingstogo; 06-26-06 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: wrong forum
Old 06-26-06, 07:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
I have had ativan when I was a in a hospital setting on a daily basis. It is usually prescribed as a PRN which in medical terms which mean take as needed. I know for a fact that ativan is very addictive and has bad side effects when you become addicted.

You need to talk to you dr and have him or her put you on something else. I would do some research on ativan and take the infomation highlighted to you doctor.
There are other medications taht are used of anxiety problems. There is a Anxiety page ( forum) further down the page as you scroll down. There my also be others in there that have some infomation.

I hope you find the information that you are looking for but I do hope you talk to your doctor soon about this medication.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Last edited by auntchris; 06-26-06 at 07:15 PM..
Old 06-26-06, 07:44 PM
Jr Member

Thanks Chris. I will look into it. Have a great evening.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-06, 11:28 PM

SweetNicole has disabled reputation
I was taking the same thing, 2mg Ativan for GAD, 60mg Adderall XR with 10mg Adderall IR 8 hours later for ADHD. I HATED how Adderall made me see how dumb Ativan made me. I craved to know things, which turned into an obsession to learn throughly Adderall and Ativan. Ativan is what I like to consider "anti-adderall" it acts in the opposite dirrection that Adderall acts. Although Ativan saved me from being completely anxious, after three months of treatment, I stopped taking it. I could no longer withstand being the zombie it made me. I missed "normal sleep" I hated the sudden withdrawal I would get if I missed a dose. I decided to suck it up, stop the ativan by tapering as much as I could. Withdrawal was nasty for the first two weeks, the third week I was still craving the Ativan. On the fourth week I was Ativan free and never plan to do that again unless my situation gets as bad as it was when I started. I noticed a huge decrease in my ability to recall things, I felt confused over word sounds and spelling, I felt "stupid" for the longest time. It has been two months since my last ativan, I have regained most of my vocabulary back, I can recall things with more detail, and I see the world as beautiful for the first time. Ativan did wonders in helping me through the roughest of times. Quiting Ativan is just as hard as quiting smoking or drinking coffee. You will have withdrawal, you will feel like absolute digestive waste, and you will be emotional. I am willing to talk with you one on one if you are interested. Send me a private message with your AIM screen name. I will message you and share informative websites that will help. I will also go over alternative therapies. I myself use Effexor now, Effexor is a nasty drug, but it helps, I can talk more about Effexor and provide resources if we talk.
For the time being, keep your chin up! Look for something to love everyday, I usually find my love of the day in the sky or in wildlife.
Don't be afraid to dive into serious research about medications, users experiances, and other related topics.
Lexapro 30mg
Lorazepam 1mg
Adderall XR 60mg
Multivitamin
Calcium 1200mg
Vitamin B-12 1000mcg
Old 06-27-06, 11:58 PM
Contributor

SnappyCloud has disabled reputation
getting off Effexor won't be easy either...
I'm currently exploring treating anxiety with beta blockers: daily plus prn.
Old 07-14-06, 06:29 PM
Jr Member

Thanks for the info SweetNicole, sorry for the slow reply. Ativan works well for me although I would rather not take it at all of course. But the adderall I cant handle. It make me feel like Im obsessed with the task at hand, whatever that may be. And a sense of urgency in everything I do. Sleeping well but cannot relax during the day. Ive only been taking adderall about a month and cannot tell any difference. I just decided it isnt worth it and quit altogether. Have a good evening.
Old 07-14-06, 10:16 PM

AJB187 is on a distinguished road
Some nights when the Adderall Anxiety comes around... ill take two 1mg sublingual ativan(lorazepam) tablets. Works great if Adderal decides to give you uncontrollable thoughts and worries once it kicks out. You must watch out for the addictive potential of them though, but if your a stable person who can control yourself to taking it only when you really need it, I don't think there is a problem with it.
Old 07-10-12, 10:28 PM

ThinWoman is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall & Ativan? Is this a common combo?

Sweet Nicole is right.

Adderall and Ativan work in exactly the opposite ways. Adderall will help you focus, and Ativan will help you go to sleep. I used to take Adderall during the days, and Ativan at night to help me go to sleep. I switched when I experienced and read about how bad the side effects of ativan are.
Old 07-11-12, 06:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

ceebee is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall & Ativan? Is this a common combo?

The problem with ativan and other benzodiazepines, at least for many people, is that you develop tolerance to them quickly and need more and more. I think its best to get a responsible doctor to help one taper off them very slowly (and I do mean very very slowly). I personally was on Ativan then Klonopin and had to take 3-4 months tapering off using Valium (a benzodiazepine with a very long halflife). It was such a short taper simply because I was taking a very low dose of klonopin (0.25mg - equal to about 0.5mg Ativan).

Disclaimer: I am not a physician. Any post or advice I give should in no way be considered medical advice. Consult a physician (MD or DO) with health/medication questions.