ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-06, 10:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,164 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold
pick out words..

does anyone else pick out certain words in a post? I seem to read certain words and miss the rest of it??? I focus on some words, but manage to miss the complete meaning sometimes
I will find an example and get back to it..

CHINESE PROVERB
Old 06-29-06, 11:10 AM

chloe516 will become famous soon enough
yup! I can't think of any specific examples right now either, but I do have a hard time getting the whole idea of a post. I tend to remember just a part of it rather than the big idea! I have misinterpreted posts before because of it.

Oh well, at least people here understand!

"Success is the prize for those who stand true to their ideas!" -Josh S. Hinds

Old 06-29-06, 12:02 PM
Contributor

boardtabitz has disabled reputation
I'm taking an online class and I keep missing things on the tests even though I have the book right in front of me because of that.
Old 06-29-06, 02:02 PM
Contributor

Proscrire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardtabitz
I'm taking an online class and I keep missing things on the tests even though I have the book right in front of me because of that.
Me too! My mom used to make me read my homework assignments out loud to avoid that. Had to do it on exams in college too.
Old 06-29-06, 03:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

adhdgirl has disabled reputation
If I see a relatively long post, I don't even TRY to read it. It drives me bonkers I write them sometimes though but usually only when my medicine is in effect
Old 06-29-06, 04:55 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

boone1 will become famous soon enough
yeh I do that too.

I hate reading really long posts but I do try my best. I start reading the first few lines, then I notice theres a few more paragraphs and read a line from each of them, then I remember that im still reading the first paragraph and it can go on like that for ages, so I just give up.
Old 06-29-06, 05:19 PM

chloe516 will become famous soon enough
For me it depends on how the long post reads, if it is an easy read I do well, if not, then I struggle or give up.

I write some long posts sometimes, I just try to break them up a bit too.

"Success is the prize for those who stand true to their ideas!" -Josh S. Hinds

Old 06-29-06, 08:58 PM
Contributor

Verizon just sent me some alternative customer agreement due to some lawsuit and I have the choice of accepting it by not responding or by notifying them that I want to stay with the old agreement - as if I ever read that one in the first place.

I tried to read through it but besides putting me to sleep it was giving me a headache.

I almost hung a jury I was on because I could understand how the guy could sign something refusing a breath test without taking the time to read all the details and repercussions without being drunk.

When you all read something for pleasure, do you read it all the way through?
When I read a book, I read a third and then I read the end. If the ending suprises me then I go back and read the middle. I did it that way most of my life before I even tuned into that I was reading that way.
Old 06-29-06, 10:41 PM

Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,164 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold
My daughter, she's 16, will READ everything I put in front of her before she signs it!!! I am like "Gee, don't you trust me?" and then she just gives me the *look*

Me, I'll skim it, and then sign it..

Books..if it gets my attention I can read it all..but if my attention lags I will find I start skimming to find something to grab me again..if I don't find anything , I will put it down, and not finish it.
I NEVER read the last bit first ...LOL...then there is no point reading the rest..
Quote:
I almost hung a jury I was on because I could understand how the guy could sign something refusing a breath test without taking the time to read all the details and repercussions without being drunk
I can understand that too..

I have NEVER read any bank documents..luckily my sister is my bank manager, and she fills it all in for me, and I just trust her, and sign it..I was joking the other day and said "OMG, she could have the house put in her name and i wouldn't even know!" scary thought...I'd better pay more attention LOL

CHINESE PROVERB
Old 06-29-06, 11:20 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyhaddb
does anyone else pick out certain words in a post? I seem to read certain words and miss the rest of it??? I focus on some words, but manage to miss the complete meaning sometimes
I will find an example and get back to it..
Yes.... Another thing I do is see words that aren't really there. I'll be skimming words in a book and spot a word that has some special meaning to me, yet when I go to look for the word, it isn't there, but I'll see a somewhat similar word.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 06-29-06, 11:46 PM
Contributor

See if the ending doesnt match what I figured was goign to happen then I figure it is an interesting book. If the ending was what I thought it was goign to be then I jsut saved a ton of time by not reading the middle.lol

Sometimes I screw up things for the kids because I dont read the school papers closely enough. That is when I feel like dirt. Some of them I play over and over in my mind for years and how I should have just read it closer. Especially when they have questioned me on it and I just brushed them off because I knew what I was doing. It usually envolves some social function that I caused them to miss. Sh** I'm going to bawl just thinking about it.
Time to go to bed I guess.