ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-06, 07:18 PM
Contributor

Jett has disabled reputation
Concerta and sleep

I just switched from adderall-xr to concerta. The adderall was making it impossible to sleep without a sleeping pill.

Does concerta also cause insomnia? I just started 36 mgs of it today. If I take it about 7 am will I be able to go to sleep about 10 pm?

Stratterra doesn't cause insomnia but it can cause moodswings and depression in some people. I have to stick with the stimulants and anti depressants for right now!

The problem with sleeping pills is that many cause depression and I also suffer from bipolar 2 disorder ( no severe mania, mainly depression) along with the ADD, so that does not sound like such a good idea.

I tried restoril and that was a mistake. I have not been depressed for a few months and as soon as I started the restoril, I started feeling depressed, tired all day, my appetite was enormous, I had to pee alot, and I had trouble focusing. I went off the medicine and I am doing better.

I heard that most sleeping pills can cause depression. I tried some free samples of ambien and it works just fine. The problem is that it costs $100 for a 30 day supply and I may not always be able to get free samples. If I must I might buy a bottle and make it last 3 months. I could get free samples to help fill in the gaps.

My insurance does not cover sleeping pills. Does anybody have any idea of any affordable sleeping pills without any major side effects? ( affordable means under $25 for a 30 day supply).

Can anybody also give me any sleeping tips? I don't want to have to rely on sleeping pills forever.

I am hoping the concerta won't be as bad as the adderall when it comes to keeping me awake at night.

I have found that you have no true control over life. You do however have control on how you deal with it.
Old 07-10-06, 07:41 PM
Contributor

SnappyCloud has disabled reputation
Jett,

In my experience methylphenidate is more relaxing and allows me to sleep a night. As a matter of fact, I recently began taking small dosages AT BEDTIME. Remember everyone is different though.

A cheap way to help you sleep is OTC melatonin, 1-3 mg 30-60 mins before bed. Some people take one at sun down and another one before bed. More is not necessarily more effective.

Another cheap and possibly more effective way is plain OTC Benadryl (or store brand generic capsules) 25-50 mg 30-60 minutes before bed. Beware that 10% of people (ADHD?) get hyper (paradoxical effect) on it. So, the first try should be only 25 mg.

I have taken 50 mg Benadryl and 2mg melatonin together before bed. If this is your first time, do either, but not both. The higher the dosage, the more drowsy you might feel the next day. Melatonin does not do that to me, but Benadryl does, and the feeling can last up to to days. Beware that if you are taking benzos or alcohol, the effect of Benadryl will be augmented, so you might only want to take 25 mg.

Read all directionss and, if in doubt, ask the pharmacist or your doc.

Happy dreams.

Snappy.