ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-06, 10:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Dore and Personal Experience

This is a discussion of personal experience specifically in support for individuals who are in the process of going through the Dore program, those who have family members in the program, those who have completed the Dore program, and for those who are genuinely interested in the program and would like to know of others' personal experiences.

No debates or discussions regarding Dore vs. medications or other "main stream treatments or scientific/alchemic discussions by those who are not interested in the Dore program as a means of treatment.

This is a thread where we can gather to support, encourage, and affirm each other, as we and our loved ones progress through the program, and provide helpful information to those who are seriously considering this program. I understand that some individuals that do not progress with this program, are due to compliance issues. If we can touch base occasionally, or feel we can come here and post our progress, or our diffiulties, my hope is that we can progress through it when we pull together for each other.

My 13-year-old son will be starting up with the Dore program in December, after he completes another type of therapy.
Old 07-15-06, 11:06 AM

FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
So, OK, ROLL CALL!

How's it going for you, updates please!

Old 07-18-06, 06:03 AM

Myomancy is on a distinguished road
Hi

I've completed the Dore programme over two years ago as a treatment for dyslexia. It took about 14 months to do and I made huge improvements in my spelling, my main weakness.
Old 08-18-06, 08:45 AM

loversinc is on a distinguished road
Chris, did u not feel it made any improvements to your adhd? did you do the exercises every day for the two years? would you say that you have dyspraxia as well?
I am hoping very much that the Dore program will help with a lot of my ADHD stuff, I am not to bothered about spelling.. but it would be great if i found academic writing easier. For me I have found academic writing very difficult, but don't know how much this has been caused by my dyslexia or ADHD. I have also found learning languages very difficult and so will start trying to learn one now. One thing Dore says is to practice those things you wish to improve alongside the program.. this I intend to do, did u do this?
At the very least i expect my hand eye coordination and general physical awareness will improve.. this in itself will be a worthwile thing.
I will post regular updates as to my progress.
Old 08-20-06, 06:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

ClarityWhere is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by loversinc
I have also found learning languages very difficult
Look also at =how= you're learning. Your style might be different than standard teaching approaches expect.

Despite severe ADD and very bad results with attempted language training, I've reached fluency in two foreign languages as an adult. (My definition of fluency: can negotiate contracts and manage projects, need proofreading for article gender/grammar finetuning. Local language for all private paperwork, errands etc.) This only happened by living in the language and refusing to speak English, even at first for residency paperwork when I couldn't really speak the local language. Don't knock yourself out if you find you're not doing well with book/class methods.
Old 08-20-06, 06:11 PM

LoversInc:

You had touched, somerewhere, about the eyetracking. With the Bender therapy that we are doing right now before DS starts Dore again, I have noticed some things. The Bender therapy does not include eye tracking exercises, but it is much easier for me to do eye-tracking tasks, because of this therapy, such as that I reported at work maneuvering between 13-15 open applications to complete each task. Which interestingly, in turn, makes me not want to daydream and drift as I do when I get lost in the task process. I believe that is the specific reason my concentration and focus are improved so far. In fact, there is an additional application that was optional to use as a book which I have tried on several attemtps to use on the computer and just not been able to use (just one more application to get lost in!!). However, I can use it now with very little difficulty as an application! That is good, because this application has information vital to the task that changes DAILY, and a paper copy just won't really do.

Bottom line, I wonder if the eye-tracking exercises done with Dore will bring on about the same result, in basically ease of focus, concentration, and keeping our brains on task, simply because we are not trying with such exhausting difficulty to constantly "find and keep our way to where we are going?" I hope that made some sense. It is like before, it was so difficult to "get there" so the brain wanders because wandering is much easier to do.

An Ah-HA moment, this is what perhaps what the eyetracking (and exercises to develp it) has to do with ADHD.
Old 08-21-06, 05:51 AM

I'm sure the eye-tracking exercises with Dore will bring about the same result, and that will make some things easier.
My little Ah-ha momment i've just had.... the cerebelum.. stabilises our eyes, our body and maybe it stabilises our mind too!
That would explain how Dore works not just on reading tasks etc.. but on peoples personalities.
Its so great being able to say that without having to have 100 guys in white coats (who are payed huge sums by massive drug companies) agree with me!
Old 08-21-06, 05:53 AM

Clarity
I lived in china for nine months... had lessons.. lived and worked with chinese people..
was often in places where no english was spoken.
I still sucked!
Old 08-21-06, 01:11 PM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Loversinc, perhaps learning other languages has nothing to do with ADHD? I know an ADHDer who is fluent in several languages, including one of a country in S.E. Asia.

Phaedrus

Old 08-21-06, 02:32 PM

maybe...
I am also dyslexic...
both adhd and dyslexia effect communication... obviously how they effect communication from individulal to individual differs.
also... if an adhder is particulary interested in languages... they may well be able to hyper focus on them.. thus becoming super linguists...
in the same way as i hyper focus on cooking...and am thus a super cook!
short term memory issues is a big thing for us adhders and short term memory can be rather important for learning languages.
I could not speak till i was about five... this is common with us with cerebelum developmental delay... will be interesting to see how dore exercises effect this.
There are many reports of people finding writing much easier, I'm currently writing in several places... partialy to see how over the coming months my writing improves... or not.
And today i started my teach yourself spanish course..
fingers crossed!
Old 08-21-06, 02:42 PM

Clarity, (in keeping with the intent of the thread) did you ever come to any Dore-like conclusions/interesting results to report back on from the similar physical therapy you were doing; the balance exercises and such? I remember reading that you had looked into the type of therapy Dore offered. :-)
Old 08-22-06, 03:57 AM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by loversinc
fingers crossed!
Done.

Phaedrus

Old 08-25-06, 02:20 AM

it has been an interesting week! after a few days of doing the exercises I felt my mood swings become more extreme... and attention... drop to about zero... non stop silly mistakes! And I know this is really bad science but because this is a 'sort out time' In the middle of this 7 day period i cut out sugar and caffeine as well! Dore said to expect that things may get worse for the first few weeks... I seem to be leveling of a bit now though. Some of the exercises are difficult, leave me feeling motion sickness for a period of time afterwards.. but I can really see how this will help make me less 'dizzy'. I have stuck to 30 mins of learning spanish everday, have been doing a lot of reading, and have started to learn to draw. I'm feeling good! And seeing as its going to be at least another three months till i get an appointment at the adult adhd clinic, where they'll be able to give me meds, to be doing something positive now feels great! it will be so wonderful if I don't ever need meds...
Old 08-25-06, 10:45 PM

Loversinc, it sounds like you received some of the same exercises DS did for his first month. I would take it as a good sign of the reconstruction process;what you are experiencing. DS does get carsick, motion-sick. Do you experience that also?? I had asked the therapist if the exercises would help with that, and she said very possibly! Gosh, you've had a busy week. I hope things have settled for you.

Three months seems to be the magic number, so maybe you won't need your appointment afterall, by then?? :-)
Old 08-26-06, 02:16 AM

Yea things are settling. I don't have the figures but I think there is a high correlation between people who get motion sickness and adhd. Some of the exercises make me motion sick, just a little, this is obviously training my brain. I'm sure this is possible as sailors who used to motion sick say that after an amount of time at sea everyone gets over it... I just think for some it takes much longer than others.
Have you looked at the new study? it's promising... but also confirms my belief that this needs a multi pronged attack... diet.. relaxation... and cbt.... is what I'm trying. For the relaxation part I'm doing yoga which I intend to carry on for life, I can't help but think that this is also good for the brain.
Closed Thread