ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-06, 05:21 PM

ricardo is on a distinguished road
Question Concerta + Zoloft

So hello,

I've been taking Concerta for more than a year now, stabilized on 72mg.
Without it everything boring takes me to yawn land, and if I am without it home alone, I end up sleeping all day or just couchpotatoing or weblinkfollowing. With Concerta, I am fully awake and energized, feel calmer... The calming effect is clear for example comparing between driving as if there were no rules, no left or right (still respecting redlights and stops) or actually driving as normal people do, for example. It's that effective. It has also helped me continuously lose weight (I was definitely overweight) by cutting my sugar cravings to zero. It gives me the mindset to focus on nutrition as a means to better health. Today for example. 30km biking and protein food in the afternoon. Forget sweets etc. But take away my Concerta and I'm back to junk land. Happened from this tuesday to yesterday - enough to recover a couple of kilograms! No kidding. Anyway, ups and downs, I am now in shape after months of weight loss. Wonderful.

Regarding ZOLOFT... I have begun taking it yesterday and will take it for a week at 50mg/day, then up to 100mg/day for six months. My mother who is a doctor (brings babies to the world and takes care of women's health and so on...) gave it to me as she does to much of her patients. This after a
me-mum-dad session in my psychologist. Basically they struggle with handling me, I am all dreams but no accomplishment, all revolutionary ideas but no materializing... and on top of this, I am a selfish, apathetic, couldn't-care-less-about-the-family young adult. I actually think I care, but it's like the rest, dreams. I would love to buy mum some flowers, take my 11yo bro to the skate park (or not let him down when the night before I'd said I'd take him), set the table, ask if anything is needed from the supermarket... bring the 4x4 before sunrise when I manage to borrow it... but I simply don't consider others. I went to London last week with my father and brother, and I went on my own, we did little tourism the three together. Because of my solitary attitude, and my dad always with the ghost of me wanting to be alone to do drugs - not at all, I was amazed with London and meeting people... and need no drugs for that fortunately - I ended up seeing my brother going with on a one-month inter-rail [eurail] last thursday and last minute my parents cut me the money because I would do the same solitary stunt and go rail on my own.

I end up talking and talking but I am going to shorten the most i can from now on... well basically the idea with the Zoloft is that I can moderate my fear of commitment - I have it at all levels, with some I don't care at all especially at 23, but with others, it's a survival skill... that I lack. So the Zoloft is to enable me to be more positive, more trusting, more empathic, more emotional. I haven't shed a tear in ages! Besides when singing, which is a weird one I have... anyone else? Doesn't happen when at karaoke or a situation with people I don't feel at ease with. But when I'm with trusted ones, I can cry like a faucet when singing.

And I deeply hope the Zoloft will help me with getting a financial sustainability, especially, help me be able to commit with my partner-to-be (34yo guy with management curriculum that believes me) in a company venture... and not bail out with fear of failure...

Well, I hope you understood my situation, sorry for being this long...

Practical data:

72mg Concerta
50mg Zoloft (1st week) 100mg onwards

Should I expect a need to adjust any of the dosages because of taking them both?
Should I expect any weird effects?
What information can you give me from personal experiences?
I've read something about a possible serotonin syndrome, should I be worried, are there warning signals...?

All information is gold... many thanks for your help!!

Ricardo
murphj4 (01-29-11)
Old 12-27-10, 11:34 PM
Jr Member

Pallet40 is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta + Zoloft

How did it end up working for commitment phobia??!!
Old 01-03-11, 05:37 PM

ricardo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallet40 View Post
How did it end up working for commitment phobia??!!
What I got was a ZOLOFT PHOBIA!!!

Seriusly... one week taking it, almost instantly stopped being able to orgasm, which I didn't like... stopped it... the problem continued until I solved it (the lack of orgasm) with BUPROPION (wellbutrin/elontril/zyban...)

This molecule BUPROPRION I read at the time could reverse my anorgasmia

And it did.

It also gave me more energy, better sleep, less food cravings, even sex was better, and less urge to smoke, which i was almost a non smoker anyways

These days after having been on many different things, I seem to have settled, for now, with Elontril 300+150 in the morning, 200mg modafinil in the morning, and 100mg topamax at night.

I am pretty motivated and doing better.

Of course, life circumstances also help... and they've been improving.

Good luck to you!
Old 01-23-13, 02:15 PM

hahanoseriously is on a distinguished road

This may be too late but I'm on 72mg of Concerta and my doctor is starting me on 25mg of Zoloft (to start).

How was it for you other than the orgasm problems?