ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-30-06, 11:51 AM

Flitter has disabled reputation
Adderall and Citric acid

I'm still trying to figure out this citric acid rstrictiong the absorbtion of Aderall thing..

Now does any one know if this is ALL fruits including stuff like Tomatoes?

I mean if I have some pasta with marinara or even some pizza, will the tomatoes in the sauce reduce the absorbtion of Aderall? I know that XR is slowly released so I imagine it would be an all day thing..

How about a multi vitamin that has vitamin c in it?

Am I doomed to a life of choosing the effects of Adderall over ever eating fruits again?
That would suck

Thanks... flit
Old 08-30-06, 01:58 PM

Honda Shadow is on a distinguished road
I have just been put on adderall and I am Italian. I hope tomatoes dont' effect it. I have noticed that if I eat sugar it makes me feel terrible.

Would some of you know if sugar is a no no? I am about 30 lbs over my weight need to lose it. With depressions which also means boredom to me comes eating. So far with adderall I have been able to control this. Thank god. I know alot of us suffer from the pound syndrome.
Old 08-30-06, 10:39 PM

lovemytiel is on a distinguished road
I still drink my fruit juice every morning..right after I take my adderall. I think I am fine. I have to get my nutrition in sometime...and I dont really notice it doing anything to my adderall.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-06, 03:37 PM
Contributor

kvrrd has disabled reputation
WebMD said pretty much the same thing as below...
I haven't changed my eating habits much and I eat fruit and tomatoes all the time.
I want to say that I never felt an impact - but... I'll have to pay attention to this.
And I take Tums sometimes... My highlights in red.
Maybe this contributes to some people requiring higher doses.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...pecial-dietary

Quote:

What special precautions should I follow?Return to top

Quote:

Before taking dextroamphetamine and amphetamine,
  • tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to amphetamine, dextroamphetamine, any other medications,or corn.
  • do not take dextroamphetamine and amphetamine if you are taking monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors, including isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), selegiline (Eldepryl), and tranylcypromine (Parnate), or have stopped taking them within the past 2 weeks. If you stop taking dextroamphetamine and amphetamine, you should wait at least 2 weeks before you start to take an MAO inhibitor.
  • tell your doctor and pharmacist what other prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, and herbal products you are taking. Be sure to mention any of the following: alpha blockers such as alfuzosin (Uroxatral), doxazosin (Cardura), prazosin (Minipress), tamsulosin (Flomax), and terazosin (Hytrin); antacids; antidepressants ('mood elevators'), antihistamines; ascorbic acid (Vitamin C); beta blockers such as atenolol (Tenormin), labetalol (Normodyne), metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL), nadolol (Corgard), and propranolol (Inderal); chlorpromazine (Thorazine); diuretics ('water pills') such as acetazolamide (Diamox); guanethidine (Ismelin); haloperidol (Haldol); lithium (Lithobid, Eskalith); medications for high blood pressure; medications for seizures such as ethosuximide (Zarontin), phenobarbital (Luminal, Solfoton), and phenytoin (Dilantin); meperidine (Demerol); methenamine (Hiprex, Urex); propoxyphene (Darvon, Darvon-N,); reserpine (Serpalan); sodium bicarbonate (Arm and Hammer Baking Soda, Soda Mint); and sodium phosphate. Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
  • tell your doctor what nutritional supplements you are taking, especially glutamic acid (L-glutamine).
  • tell your doctor if you or anyone in your family has or has ever had motor (repeated twitching of any parts of your body) or verbal tics (repeating of words or sounds) or Tourette's syndrome (difficult to control need to perform repeated motions or to repeat sounds or words). Also tell your doctor if you have or have ever had an glaucoma (an eye disease); depression; anxiety, tension or agitation; mental illness; or thyroid disease.
  • tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking dextroamphetamine and amphetamine, call your doctor. You should not breastfeed while you are taking this medication.
  • you should know that this drug may make it difficult for you to perform activities that require alertness or physical coordination . Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
  • you should know that dextroamphetamine and amphetamine should be used as part of a total treatment program for ADHD, which may include counseling and special education. Make sure to follow all of your doctor's and/or therapist's instructions.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?Return to top

Talk to your doctor about drinking fruit juice while taking this medicine.
Old 08-31-06, 10:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nova has a spectacular aura aboutNova has a spectacular aura about
I'd worry more about 'diuretics', than citric acid.

Adderall causes me to dehydrate enough, by itself.
I woudn't think taking diuretics, on top of it, would be a grand idea.

- I, can bring, you, back, to Life.
-True Blood
The Following User Says Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:
mbolla (02-13-08)
Old 09-27-07, 01:25 AM
Jr Member

RABN is on a distinguished road
I am a biochemistry student, montioning this to let you know that while I'm not an expert I do know what I'm talking about, also metionning this because I have self-confidence issues as we all know accompanies this. I was just diagnosed 2 months ago and started taking adderall two weeks ago. Everything was great until one morning I ate a Power Bar Protein Plus. I ate 2 5mg adderall tabs with it. An hour and a half later I had indigestion and no effect from the adderall. Took another two pills over the next 2 hours, that's 20mg over 3.5 hours. I should have been super-hyper foceused to the point of feeling raggedy from the stim. Yet there were none of the usual signs. So later after my last class I drank a cup of coffee and took 2 more adderall. Then it finally kicked in. I got to thinking about amphetamines and their chemical properties. Did a little research and with my knowledge concluded this (this should by no means be supplanted for any official medical advice)

Adderall is an amphetamine. Amphetamine is a base in the chemical sense. When they say that the amphetamine is supplied as a salt, the mean that the "basicness" of the molecule has been neutralized with either sodium, or potassium or some similar substance. Why? When the salt goes into your stomach the metal atom leaves the molecule leaving the base behind. Amphetamine are transferred to your brain by a lipid(fat) mechanism involving a tranfers protein. In order for the amphetamine to get attached to a protein and transferred through the lipid mechanism it needs to stay a base. When your stomach is really acidic whether from something you ate, or in my case indigestion, the amphetamine gets neutralized, and becomes water soluble and can't bind to the protein which is required to transport the amphet to your brain. When it is neutralized it is not absorbed very readily and I believe although I'm not sure that the amphet. may just wash out of your body or get tied up in some other process and excreted as feces or urine(not to put those images in your mind). That is why there are warnings about vitamin c(lowers uptake) and tums(increases uptake). I have become very mindful about the state of my stomach. Drinking decaf coffee will help you absorb the amphets. drinking o.j. will not. Something to remember for those uncertain about whether or not the food or drink is acidic or basic, acid=sour base=bitter(in a very general sense).

Hope this helps, any?'s feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I'll answer to the best of my ability.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RABN For This Useful Post:
bostonstreet (04-07-08), Elandruss (10-06-09), Fishstix (04-26-10), kgtennisfan (05-26-10), Nachons (04-03-13), robdizz (04-03-13), Shevey (04-06-12), sinned17 (07-12-12), Tooraj (06-02-12), WarPhalange (10-06-08), yeche006 (04-29-13)
Old 09-27-07, 06:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

steviefranchise is on a distinguished road
Very imformative RABN.

Read this and let me know what you think. It is a quote from Robert Young, Alkaline diet advocate.

It is often said that "acidic" fruits like lemons, limes and low sugar grapefruits are acidic and will acidify the fluids of the body. In fact, the citric, lactic, and other acids in such fruits exist primarily in their anionic form, especially as their Na+ and K+ salts (e.g., potassium citrate or calcium ascorbate).

Following absorption, these anions are metabolized to bicarbonate (HCO3) and therefore will alkalize -- not acidify -- the blood and tissues. Alkalinization occurs even though the fruits pH in vitro is typically low (4 pH), because the free protons are more than offset by the generate bicarbonate -- electrons. For example, a liter of diluted lemon juice (1 part lemon to 10 parts distilled water) with a pH of 4 has only 0.1 mmol (i.e., 10 to the minus 4 moles) of free protons. As long as the quality of organic anions exceeds this small number, which it does, a net alkalinization will occur.

I hope this gives many of you clarity concerning the alkalinization of low sugar fruits in vivo.
Old 01-07-08, 02:40 AM
Jr Member

tomxkite is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and Citric acid

I have found that the adderall+caffine make a great combination for me. Most people suggest not combining these two, but since I have found them to work well, I am reluctant in letting them go.

It is not uncommon for me to have diet Pepsi Max ( 70mg caffine per 12 oz can) about the same time as I have Adderall, or have some cappuccino from Starbucks (100mg caffeine) at the same time.

Coffee might interfere with the absorption of adderall but it does add a kick due to caffine. So as long as I am getting desired effect, I am OK with it.

I guess the key is to keep it consistent.

I have ton of issues to deal with (that's why I am taking Adderall to begin with); I am not sure I want to add stringent diet restriction to it.

So if orange juice reduces the absorption of Adderall, and if you take 20mg Adderall, then may be the right dosage for you is either 20mg Adderall and no fruit juice and no soda; or 25mg with moderate amount of fruit juice and soda, as long as you do it consistently.

Your millage may vary.
Old 01-07-08, 10:41 AM

Cetin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to everybody from Germany. Lucky you that are able to get Adderall, here in Germany there is no Adderall but the pharmacy has to mix Amphetamie capules by themself.
The self produces amphetamine capsules contains:

amphetamine sulfate 0,020
acid citric 0,020
and saccharum lact and aerosil.

Therefore I was googling about the possible interaction of amphetamine and the other stuffs in this capsule.

Can any of you adderall users tell me what is in the adderall capules according to the package leaflet besides amphetamine? Is there also acid citric in?

I am concerned of a possible unwanted interaction because I read this: http://health.yahoo.com/urinary-medi...-d03952a1.html

It is written:

"What other drugs will affect citric acid and sodium citrate?

Before taking citric acid and sodium citrate, tell your doctor if you are taking:
  • amphetamine and dextroamphetamine (Adderall)"
Old 01-11-08, 08:58 PM
Contributor

t-bird is on a distinguished road

I can't believe after all the research I've done on Adderall and for how long I've taken it I've been drinking tons of OJ this whole time!!! Oh Snap!
Old 01-11-08, 09:30 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

The citric acid content probably isn't high enough to make a difference. Adderall capsules (only XR comes in a capsule) contain triethyl citrate, which I believe is a form/derivative of citric acid.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 01-11-08, 09:34 PM
Contributor

t-bird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFunctioning View Post
The citric acid content probably isn't high enough to make a difference. Adderall capsules (only XR comes in a capsule) contain triethyl citrate, which I believe is a form/derivative of citric acid.
Well I take the regular 20 mg tablets and usually follow that with 16 ounces of OJ. hmmmmm... I think I'll just start drinking it at night instead.

edited to add: I just realized you probably weren't even talking to me in your post! sorry.
Old 01-12-08, 11:15 AM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

My citric acid comment was directed towards Cetin's post (as to how some locally created capsules seem to contain citric acid).
(Edit: I just realized that you realized, it would help if I read posts outside of my email-box)....

The problem with OJ is that it also contains Vitamin C.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).

Last edited by HighFunctioning; 01-12-08 at 11:47 AM..
Old 01-13-08, 09:48 AM

Cetin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My citric acid comment was directed towards Cetin's post (as to how some locally created capsules seem to contain citric acid).
(Edit: I just realized that you realized, it would help if I read posts outside of my email-box)....

The problem with OJ is that it also contains Vitamin C.
Thank you, so I do not have to worry about the capsules mixture made by my pharmacy guy containing citric acid because the amount is just too small to have an effect. That sounds easing to me as I thought he may have done a mistake by using citric acid in the mixture. And it eases me also to hear that even Adderall contains acid (triethyl citrate) so it cannot be that wrong.

By the way, what do you pay for Adderall or Dexedrine? I had to pay 108,50 Euro (about 150 US-Dollars) for 120 capules. I have to take 2 capsules, so that costs me 75 Dollar every month.
Old 01-13-08, 11:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all

Quote:
acetic acid pka 5
citric acid pKa1=3.15
pKa2=4.77
pKa3=6.40
water pka 15.7
methyl acetate pka 25

An ester like triethyl citrate is not very acidic.

I found this link that talks about Adderall.

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...fo.cfm?id=5535