ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 09-25-06, 04:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

WesleyT is on a distinguished road
did medication improve your self confidence?

i'm wondering, because often cocaine is used ti improve confidence, and adder's often have low self esteem because of too low dopamine?
Old 09-25-06, 09:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

D.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura aboutD.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura about
An excess of dopamine in the brain gives a false sense of security and capability. I suppose you could translate that to self confidence, but of course its just an illusion.
Old 09-25-06, 09:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

so it didnt help you getting more selfconfidence?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-06, 09:16 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

D.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura aboutD.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyT
so it didnt help you getting more selfconfidence?
I think im trying to say theres more healthy ways to boost ones confidence than potentially destructive medication. That sort of thing leads to the cycle of habituation.
Old 09-25-06, 01:09 PM

simbryo is on a distinguished road
yes, medication did improve my self-confidence. this isn't an uncommon occurance when treatment begins and is succesful. there is of course the dopamine increase that leads to a transient and "false" sense of well being. at prescribed doses, this is generally not especially noticable.

there can often be real improvements in the social life of patients with ADHD who begin treatment (both children and adults). for me, it definately helped me socialize more appropirately which therefore made my interactions with others more comfortable and helped others be more comfortable around me. i have pretty characteristic ADHD traits; i tend to be focused on what interest me and not in what others are doing. this trait isn't especially great for social situations. i also tend to speak my mind without thinking of the consequences and not realize when i've hurt others feelings or said something innapropriate. these traits (and other ADHD related traits) have long caused be trouble in social situations. after i began treatment (during college), i found that these traits of ADHD (as well as many, many others) were less frequently causing problems and more easy to control (IE realize when i need to shut up or pay attention to someone else). the really did make it easy for me to be around other people and eventually this really did improve my self-confidence and self-esteem.

as i mentioned earlier, this is pretty common. many people, adults especially (but also kids), with ADHD have trouble in their relationships with other due to some of the personality traits. meds often make these traits easier to change, and this often leads to better social relationships and personal relationships and eventually leads to an increase in self-confidence. this is just one of many reasons why treatment of ADHD should be done by someone who is prepared to help you with the variety of ways ADHD symptoms can affect your life and how treatment can help (IE a psychiatrist specializing in ADHD).

and sure, people who abuse ADHD meds will get huge dopamine surges just like abusers of any stimulant (cocaine, meth). the difference in dosage between proper use and abuse is quite extreme, however. abuse leads to ups and downs that in the end will be quite destructive to the user and their relationships. that's why it's important to have a good, ongoing relationship with your prescribing doc.
Old 09-25-06, 01:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

Iwalani8 is on a distinguished road
the cocaine thing reminds me of a quote by bill cosby that went something like: "coke just enhances your personality, so if you're an a**hole, it just makes you even more of an a**hole."

makes sense.

i agree that the higher feeling of self-confidence from either stimulants or anti-depressants could be just drug-induced, and therefore false or illusory, but i guess that could be of benefit to some of us.

in other ways, i do know that my medication helped my confidence in the way that i knew i could do certain things in school way better, which has all types of effects. i don't know, it is all really different for every body.
Old 09-25-06, 02:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwalani8
i agree that the higher feeling of self-confidence from either stimulants or anti-depressants could be just drug-induced, and therefore false or illusory, but i guess that could be of benefit to some of us.
i see it the other way
we have low confidence because of too low dopamine, thats why lots of ppl with add are bullied at school etc
but medication can "normalize" this, so i dont see it as false, is see the unmedicated low confidence as false!

@simbryo
i have some symptons you have too, cant talk about anything in groups because it doenst intrest me!

tomorrow i will try my first medication, i will report here what it did
Old 09-25-06, 11:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

Iwalani8 is on a distinguished road
i agree ^^
but i know some peoples' lack of confidence isn't chemical. in many cases it is their upbringing, and especially in the case where people "self-medicate" with whatever they use (marijuana, cocaine, antidepressants, etc etc) they are just creating a false sense of self. some people can't face their pasts, and it doesn't always take medication to finally allow them to!

but i take wellbutrin and dexdrine... and in ways it has helped, especially wellbutrin. actually escpecially both! but i really believe that other methods are more permanent and effective in the case of raising self-esteem/confidence.

but that is probably why i am a psychology major! there are so many more options aside from medication, or in combination with medication.
Old 09-30-10, 06:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

livingpharaoh has a spectacular aura aboutlivingpharaoh has a spectacular aura about
Re: did medication improve your self confidence?

I understand what you mean. I have always felt that I could not reach my optimal level and it has been a massive blow to my confidence. I am a very attractive looking young man but I still hesitate to approach females even in night clubs when they are giving me open signals (ie bending over and shaking their asses in front of me). That 1% of doubt always holds me back. I think that Is why i loved ecstacy so much because it eliminated most of my doubts even if it did exaggerate my personality a bit sometimes.