ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > Counseling & Therapy > Behavior Modification
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Behavior Modification Discuss behavior modification therapies and strategies

Old 10-27-06, 09:20 AM

Meow is on a distinguished road
Neurofeedback

Has anyone got any first hand experience of neurofeedback? It is a way of training the brainwaves which in turn helps children/adults concentrate etc? I know some trials have been carried out and have proved just as effective as meds but I would love to hear from someone who has first hand experience.
Old 10-27-06, 03:40 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Zach326 will become famous soon enough
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...=neurofeedback

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...=neurofeedback
Old 10-27-06, 07:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

lbawd is on a distinguished road
My neice was in a car accident and has some brain damage and my sister used it to try to re-map some of the brain waves. At first she was really excited and tried to get us to sign up our ADHD kids but I think in the end she was not real impressed. She also met another mother trying it for her kids with ADHD and she spent $2000 upfront and her kids hated it so much they will not go.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-06, 07:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
It is controvertial, and currently popular.

There is just one study that accounted for the placebo effect which found it to not be any better than the placebo in the treatment of ADHD.

There are a number of studies that claim it to be effective, but most (or all) of those seem to be published by those selling it as a servce.

Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow
Has anyone got any first hand experience of neurofeedback? It is a way of training the brainwaves which in turn helps children/adults concentrate etc? I know some trials have been carried out and have proved just as effective as meds but I would love to hear from someone who has first hand experience.
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 10-28-06, 08:32 AM

add_maslinbeach is on a distinguished road
Yes, I tried it for about 20 sessions. I wore a scull cap with sensors which monitored the brainwave activity while I played a computer game. When my brain was operating in the right frequency ( ie, for problem solving and thinking) I got some feedback - sound beeps.
The goal was to be able to switch mental states and activate the right brainwaves for thinking and concentration.

What did I learn? Well, that when I smiled my brain frequency changed. That thinking happy thoughts or visualising a peaceful place helped achieve the desired brainwaves. It showed me the impact of negativity on my brain activity.
It validated the value of the relaxation strategies I had learned in meditation lessons.

Can I concentrate better now?
It's hard to say as I have struggled with the effects of menopause on brain function. I do think that like meditation you need to do it regularly to have ongoing benefit.
Old 10-29-06, 09:30 PM

jealibeanz is on a distinguished road
I did biofeedback therapy a few years back. I am skeptical of these things. It seems like "mumbo-jumbo" crazy idealistic theoretical therapy in a eutopian world. I thought it was ridiculous that my form of biofeedback therapy, which involved watching movies and controlling and monitoring your brainfunctions, concentration, and anxiety level via a digital display from a sensor placed on the head.

Well, I have to confess, it worked. But I think I'm unusual. I'm very dedicated and determined and intelligent. I have born prematurely and apparently suffered prefrontal brain damage while I was without oxygen for several minutes. My therapist explained that my persistance in the therapy forced my brain to form new capillaried to the prefrontal area by stimulation. This was monitored with sensors.

My world changed. My percention and processing speed increased. It was like I was seeing the world through tinted glasses and suddenly they were changed. It wasn't miraculous or fun or great though. It was scarey to have all of my former beliefs slightly altered by my changed brain.

Now, I no longer do the therapy and don't have access to it. I would consider doing some form of biofeedback again, although I'd like a more modern, sleek machine than the one I used.

I still suffer from inattentive ADHD, depression, and anxiety. However, I will say, that I did improve from my therapy. It brought my baseline up to a different level.

I don't know what I should do from here. I may try medications again (for all disorders). Maybe biofeedback, although I think it's difficult to find a reliable method. I wonder if I could further improve from using it. I did try it last spring after stopping for a few years. I made no progress, but I was experiencing major anxiety at the time. I can't make progress when my anxiety isn't controlled. The therapist did say he wasn't sure if I needed to use it throughout my life or not, but the progress I had made (the capillary formation) wasn't going to reverse from not using the therapy.

So, I'm a story of success I suppose. Although I don't consider myself a success since right now I'm seriously suffering from extreme anxiety and depression, and the ADHD is hurting my schoolwork, which exacerbates my other conditions. I did make physical changes in my brain that were measurable. That's pretty significant.
Old 10-31-06, 01:19 PM

Meow is on a distinguished road
Thank you very much for your responses; I am still undecided as to whether to go down this road, with my son of 13. I currently feel if it isn't going to hurt him and there are no side effects then why not give it a try as we have nothing to lose.