ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 10-31-06, 08:16 PM
Contributor

Jett has disabled reputation
Strattera not covered and adderall being banned

I am a little bit discouraged and disheartened tonight. My doctor says that they are pulling adderall off the shelves and he prescribed me stratterra. One small problem: it is 152 freakin' dollars a bottle and insurance does not cover it.Unfreakingbelieveable! So I am going to have to call the doctor tomorrow and go back up there again. It takes me about 20 minutes each way. The adderall was really helping me, too but then again, if it is being pulled, it must be too dangerous or something.

I have been praying for a good med cocktail. I was on wellbutrin but that doesn't do squat for my ADHD or my anxiety. It helps with my depression a little bit ( not too much, I still have suicidal tendencies every now and then when I am on it), but lexapro is better. It takes away my sex drive but I am a Christian who is trying to stay chaste until marriage so I guess that can be a good thing in it's own way.

On a positive note I am back on lexapro. When I am on it, I am not a nervous wreck all the time and I don't have really weird nightmares all the time. The wellbutrin has me so nervous I have nightmares every single night and I worry constantly about every little thing you can think off.

Now I am going to have to wait and hope like heck that the doctor puts me on a good ADHD drug that helps. I was on concerta but that made me feel too calm and like a zombie. Then again he had me on a high dose, like 36 mgs a day. Maybe ritalin-la will help me, but then again he's the doctor and he'll prescribe what he wants.

Ok enough complaining but I am soooo unhappy right now. I need my meds to function. I am tired of being so distracted all the time. Unmedicated the house is always filthy and I can't concentrate or sit still very long... EVER!!

Anybody here that is spiritual, please pray that I'll get some good meds that help and that God will help me function as well as possible with my ADHD and somehow turn into a blessing.

Thank you for your prayers, I need them really bad tonight.
Old 10-31-06, 08:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

jerry83 has disabled reputation
As far as I know, Adderall is *not* being banned. A quick search for "Adderall" on Google News shows nothing to suggest that it is.
Old 10-31-06, 08:49 PM
The Guy Behind the Curtain

Thanked 1,862 Times in 552 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Blame Canada...Don't Flush Your Adderall XR

Perhaps this will shed some light...its an old article, but maybe this is what your doctor heard about:

Blame Canada
Don't flush your Adderall XR.
By Sydney Spiesel
Posted Tuesday, May 10, 2005, at 7:22 AM ET

A few weeks ago, the mother of a patient in my pediatric practice called me and said that her son had abruptly become much more difficult. The boy, who is wonderfully bright and creative but hard to handle, had been seeing an excellent child psychiatrist and was doing well when suddenly things sort of deteriorated. His mother knew what the problem was and told me: Health Canada (the Canadian equivalent of the FDA) had just banned Adderall XR, the medication he was taking, and—though the drug was still available in the United States—she had asked his psychiatrist to discontinue the treatment.

Adderall XR is used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, which lumps together all patients with attention problems—those with hyperactivity and those without it, as in the frenetic child and the space cadet. ADHD can be treated without drugs in a couple of ways. Often, though, (perhaps too often) doctors treat this condition with stimulants—drugs that also suppress appetite and interfere with sleep. At the moment, there are two ADHD drugs in the stimulant class: methylphenidate (Ritalin and Concerta) and amphetamine (Adderall). As far as I've been able to tell, the two kinds of stimulants work just about identically and are equally effective. They also have identical drawbacks: In addition to suppressing appetite and interfering with sleep, they can be abused and they're active for a very short period—a morning dose will usually be ineffective by afternoon. To lengthen the short duration, Adderall combines four different amphetamine compounds, each of which dissolves at a different rate. Adderall XR adds a second delayed-release mechanism to alter the time course slightly and, I suspect, to extend the period of patent protection to wall out the competition (the original Adderall is already available generically).

Why, then, did Health Canada ban Adderall XR while the FDA explicitly did not ban it? Between 1999 and 2003, about a million children, most of them in the United States, took Adderall or Adderall XR. In those four years, 12 boys being treated died suddenly and unexpectedly. At autopsy, five of the children were found to have structural heart problems, some surely present since birth. Of the rest, one was dehydrated after severe exercise in 110-degree weather, two might have been overdosed, and one came from a family with a history of abnormal heart rhythms. The rate of sudden unexplained death in children taking Adderall or Adderall XR averaged 4 per 1 million users per year (and none of the deaths occurred in Canada). For approximately the same age range, the annual cardiac death rate was about 6.3 per 1 million children. Given how similar these two rates are, it seems to me that it would be hard to make the case that Adderall adds significantly to the general risk of heart failure for the young people taking it. Unfortunately, however, there is no way to get at the most important datum: the annual rate of sudden, unexplained death in children with ADHD who were not treated with Adderall or Adderall XR. That means we can't compare the death rate between treated and untreated, but otherwise similar, children.

So, again, why did Canada ban Adderall XR? Frankly, it beats me. Probably the decision reflects simple economics: Because it's under patent, Adderall XR is a lot more expensive than generic versions of Adderall. But if Canada just didn't want to pay the extra cost, I wish the health authorities had owned up to that. When public health policy is submerged in other agendas, we can no longer safely turn to oversight agencies for reliable, trustworthy, and nonpartisan advice.

Source: http://www.slate.com/id/2118314/

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-06, 09:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

UnleashTheHound will become famous soon enough
I don't think Adderall is being banned. Even if it were, there are a bunch of other stimulant meds he could prescribe, some which your insurance would likely cover. It's not Strattera or nothing
Old 11-01-06, 12:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

jerry83 has disabled reputation
At least you don't live in Costa Rica... I will be moving back in the near future and all they have is Ritalin. No LA or anything, just instant release. And of course no Concerta, Adderall, Strattera, etc.
Old 11-01-06, 07:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

*~ §EEK ~* has a spectacular aura about*~ §EEK ~* has a spectacular aura about
I would call your insurance company. It doesn't make sense that your insurance company wouldn't cover Strattera.

All Posts Are My Constitutionally Protected Opinion.
_.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:l~§eek~l:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._
Old 11-01-06, 02:13 PM

Nova has a spectacular aura aboutNova has a spectacular aura about
Adderall is alive and well, where I live.

Just my opinion, but maybe your Doc doesn't believe in prescribing it.

I am, however, really, really sorry about your medical insurance situation, Jett.

- I, can bring, you, back, to Life.
-True Blood
Old 11-04-06, 01:16 PM
Contributor

Jett has disabled reputation
I think the problem is that I asked to bump up my dose and maybe he got suspicious. It's because the 10 mgs was beginning to wear off.

So he prescrobed me lexapro instead.
Old 11-04-06, 07:15 PM
Jr Member

Mozi is on a distinguished road
That's a rediculous decision he made.

Firstly, you should not be "punished" for asking to up the dose. I personally fear to directly ask for that, for that exact reason, and shouldn't. I don't know my Dr well enough to know if she will have the same reaction, and don't want to risk it. If she doesn't increase it if needed, I will switch doctors.

Secondly, Lexapro is completely different then Adderall. I take both, and Lexapro will do absolutely nothing (at least for me) for ADD. If anything, it might make it worse. It's wonderful for depression, and has the lowest side effects of any of the other SSRI's that I've been on, and I've been on a lot (Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa).

If you can, I would switch doctors immediately.

Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

-M
Old 11-04-06, 08:29 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
I'm pretty sure ADDerall is not going to be banned. Shire has invested way too much money for it to be banned. They just sponsored last week CHADD conference in Chicago too.