ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-06, 11:27 AM

ADHDismywife is on a distinguished road
ADHD and Energy Drinks

Hello All,

I am new at this since I'm not the one with ADHD. BUT my wife is and she is the one usually on here and posting messages.

But I am curious about what other people with ADHD thinks or experience with this. My wife tried one of our energy XS energy drinks awhile ago and it didn't do great for her. She said it kinda made her on edge and/or little more paranoid than usual. But just two night ago, I got her to try the caffine-free XS energy drink and she said she could feel herself calming down. In fact, by the time she finished the whole can, it made her really tired and slept really good that night without having any troube getting to sleep. And I tell you, it's actually rare that she sleeps good and she usually has trouble gettting. Also when she doesn't sleep good or has trouble getting to sleep, it really bothers me therefore makes it hard for me too. So I recommended to her to mix one can with one can of water so she can drink it thru out the day.

So I am just curious, is there anyone out there who finds that energy drink helps ADHD. I was told by one person that she buys energy drink to help someone else but I don't know anybody else who is ADHD.

I hope to hear from you guys and gals, I'm curious what everyone says regarding energy drinks.

P.S. the energy drinks we is 0 sugar, 0 carbs, 0 caffine and only 8 calories with extremely high vitamin B3, B5, B6, B12. Could it be the vitamin B that is helping my wife to relax and help her sleep???????

Last edited by EYEFORGOT; 11-06-06 at 05:42 PM..
Old 11-06-06, 12:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

Missfit is an unknown quantity at this point
I cant drink them - they cause me to be more hyper.. I have ADHD.
Old 11-08-06, 11:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,164 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold
When I drink them I get nice and calm too :-) Give me two and I am practically asleep I am so relaxed..

CHINESE PROVERB
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-06, 08:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

Missfit is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyhaddb
When I drink them I get nice and calm too :-) Give me two and I am practically asleep I am so relaxed..
for me it almsot conteracts the ritalin - revs me up whereas the ritalin calms me down
Old 11-09-06, 02:32 PM

ADHDismywife is on a distinguished road
My wife has tried many different meds (including Ritalin and two others) and they all seem to work for while but eventually wears off and don't work anymore... the current meds that my wife is on is Modafinil. They used to work, but since she started work three weeks ago, she seems back to square one as if never been on meds before. However, she still takes it on days she's not working.

When she tried the energy drink, it was on a day she hasn't taken her meds yet. I found this out after posting the first message.

So, it's possible that the energy drink may interact with meds but if no meds taken it helps ALOT?

I also read on the net quite a few times that the Vitamins B (extremely in in the XS drinks) help the normal brain function for ADHD. I have ordered more XS caffine free energy drinks and my wife said she's going drink more. I will keep track when she drinks them and if she has taken her meds too or not.

I just found it strange that the energy drink clamed her down and helped her sleep.
Old 11-09-06, 03:12 PM

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Any kind of stimulent has the potential to calm some ADDers down. My only caution is to be cautious and check with your doctor before mixing them with Ritalin, Adderall or whatever stimulent med you're taking. I know I had to lower my dose of Concerta when I started taking Estroven Extra Strength which has "natural" stimulents in it. These days it makes me tic when I take it -- it's not a energy drink, but the same principle applies.

Scattered

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Old 11-10-06, 04:00 AM

Fuu! is on a distinguished road
Was the amino acid l-taurine in the drink perhaps? It's a common ingredient in energy drinks. I take it in pill form and find it really calms me down.
Old 11-10-06, 02:32 PM

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuu!
Was the amino acid l-taurine in the drink perhaps? It's a common ingredient in energy drinks. I take it in pill form and find it really calms me down.
Welcome to the forums, Fuu!

Scattered

Old 11-10-06, 08:55 PM

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation
enagry drinks are very bad with what coulers E NUMBERS THEY PUT IN THEM i advoed cos i get really illl theres no help really from them dorm
Old 11-11-06, 01:21 PM

Fuu! is on a distinguished road
Thanks Scattered ^^
Old 11-11-06, 05:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

anamari is on a distinguished road
My husband buys "Ginseng grean tea" because it makes him feel more energetic and keep up with babies...I tried it twice because he kept pushing me -I usually experience lack of energy and it put me to sleep...
Old 11-11-06, 11:48 PM

Gingsing green tea actually works well for me -- it calms me emotionally so I can get more accomplished (my productivity goes way way down when I'm stressed). I feel energized with out being speeded up. We're all wired pretty differently though -- I think it just depends on your on chemistry.

Scattered

Old 05-05-11, 03:25 AM

MultiPettan is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD and Energy Drinks

Well I have ADD and I've been drinking several energy drinks. Rockstar, Red Bull, Powerking, Monster....etc. Energy drinks doesn't really "bite" on people with ADD because we're the..how do you say "the calm" type. Energy drinks only works on people with
Old 05-07-11, 12:14 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,663 Times in 788 Posts
Simenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDismywife View Post
My wife has tried many different meds (including Ritalin and two others) and they all seem to work for while but eventually wears off and don't work anymore... the current meds that my wife is on is Modafinil. They used to work, but since she started work three weeks ago, she seems back to square one as if never been on meds before. However, she still takes it on days she's not working.

When she tried the energy drink, it was on a day she hasn't taken her meds yet. I found this out after posting the first message.

So, it's possible that the energy drink may interact with meds but if no meds taken it helps ALOT?

I also read on the net quite a few times that the Vitamins B (extremely in in the XS drinks) help the normal brain function for ADHD. I have ordered more XS caffine free energy drinks and my wife said she's going drink more. I will keep track when she drinks them and if she has taken her meds too or not.

I just found it strange that the energy drink clamed her down and helped her sleep.
Before I was diagnosed it took me 4 to 6 cups of java to get to sleep.
Old 05-09-11, 10:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

fatality is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDismywife View Post
Hello All,

I am new at this since I'm not the one with ADHD. BUT my wife is and she is the one usually on here and posting messages.

But I am curious about what other people with ADHD thinks or experience with this. My wife tried one of our energy XS energy drinks awhile ago and it didn't do great for her. She said it kinda made her on edge and/or little more paranoid than usual. But just two night ago, I got her to try the caffine-free XS energy drink and she said she could feel herself calming down. In fact, by the time she finished the whole can, it made her really tired and slept really good that night without having any troube getting to sleep. And I tell you, it's actually rare that she sleeps good and she usually has trouble gettting. Also when she doesn't sleep good or has trouble getting to sleep, it really bothers me therefore makes it hard for me too. So I recommended to her to mix one can with one can of water so she can drink it thru out the day.

So I am just curious, is there anyone out there who finds that energy drink helps ADHD. I was told by one person that she buys energy drink to help someone else but I don't know anybody else who is ADHD.

I hope to hear from you guys and gals, I'm curious what everyone says regarding energy drinks.

P.S. the energy drinks we is 0 sugar, 0 carbs, 0 caffine and only 8 calories with extremely high vitamin B3, B5, B6, B12. Could it be the vitamin B that is helping my wife to relax and help her sleep???????
If you live in the U.S, try these two energy drinks:

Focus / Calm feeling:

Rockstar energy drink - make sure the sugar is low and the second ingredient is glucose. The lemonade one works alright for me.

Energized / Alert feeling:

Mountain dew AMP energy drink - The cherry overdrive is my favorite so far.

I don't really care for the rockstar drinks, they're like a beer to me They just calm me down and can put me to sleep.