ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 11-19-06, 08:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

leana is on a distinguished road
can you get disability for adult adhd?

hi there,im a mid age female with many back problems,3 herniated disks,siatic nerve, degenerative osterarthritis,and disk disease.ive tried twice for disability,and they keep denying me.ive always had depression,anxiety issues too, but a few months back been diagnosed with adult adhd, ive had it all my life by the sounds of it.does anyone know if anyone can get disability for this, since it seems to be impossible to get it just on physical problems alone, any replies please?
Old 11-19-06, 09:10 PM

neverdoanything is on a distinguished road
I know it would be difficult (not impossible) to get it just on ADD.

But if you combine all the health problems you have and put it on the application, you could improve your chances. Where do you live? I'm not too familiar with the disability program in other countries than Canada. But I'd say go for it. Disability programs are there for a reason, and it's sad how some people have to try really hard to prove that they need it, when they obviously do. And all the cuts, atleast in Canada, that they've made to social programs is not helping the problem anymore. I wish you the best of luck in your application, and if they deny you, ask why. That's important, because it sounds like they really don't have a reason why.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-06, 10:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Different disability plans have different thresholds, i think.

Here in Canada, it is easier to get the provincial disability benefits than the federal ones.

In the USA, the main plan is SSDI, right?

I think the main strategy is to deny applicants, first off.

Then, when you get a lawyer to send the disability office a letter saying you will fight them, they'll give it to you.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-06, 08:55 AM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
In the United States ADHD does not qualify for disability but you may get SSI. Look into it.
Old 04-07-10, 09:03 AM

Rosa is on a distinguished road
Re: can you get disability for adult adhd?

I am not sure about that. The National Benefit Authority has mentioned it in the list of disabilities. If you live in Canada you can contact them to know more about it.

http://www.thenba.ca/disabilities.html
Old 04-07-10, 09:51 AM
Jr Member

Craigy is on a distinguished road

so wait you can get money for having adhd?
Old 04-08-10, 12:46 AM

Rosa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
so wait you can get money for having adhd?
Children do get benefits for ADHD but to know if adults can also get benefits you need to contact The National Benefit Authority. They are very professional and will assist you.
Old 04-08-10, 10:02 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,142 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer is yes you can qualify for state and federal benefits for psychiatric disorders such as depression. To date I have not heard of any adults receiving disability benefits solely for AD(H)D.
-- Oscar Wilde