ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 11-28-06, 12:35 PM

gillygill is on a distinguished road
Child has become angry on Concerta!!

I have an 11yr old son who I've been having problems with since the age of 2. At first I thought he had odd, and to some extent I still do. Last year he saw a psychologist who diagnosed him with depression and put him on prozac. I don't think my 10yr old should have been on prozac. Yes, I do believe he was somewhat depressed, but only from the problems caused by add. I never once thought my child had add, but that was also on the psycological evaluation. I took him off the prozac and decided to put him on add meds. His doctor told me that concerta was one of the best with less side effects, so I have been giving him 18mg for the last week. Today he started on the 36mg. The problem I am seeing is that he wakes up angry and comes home angry. I try to be very calm and not respond to his negative attitude, but I just can't stand it anymore. I have been crying for the past hour wondering why he is acting this way. He's so mean and talks awful. To make matters worse I run an in home family daycare, and he talks really mean to the children in the morning before he goes to school. I can't stand it anymore, and I need any help I can get. He has always had somewhat of a negative attitude, but it's been really really bad since he started the meds. Please, any insight into what may be causing this, or what I can do. Thank you.
Old 11-28-06, 12:43 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Welcome Gill my own child became hostile and nasty which is not her usual MO when she was on Zoloft (although she does get depressed) and on Adderal (although she does have ADHD) because she was undiagnosed at the time with BiPolar II. Stimulants and antidepressents administered to cildren (and adults) with BP who are not on mood stabilizers will usually result in mania/hypomania, which can present as extreme irritability and even psychotic episodes (my daughter went psychotic briefly).
Old 11-28-06, 12:45 PM
Forum Guru

Aizlyne will become famous soon enough
My younger brother(6) became angery and violent when he was started on Strattera for suspected ADD. but since then my mom has been suspecting that He doesn't have ADD, Just Asperger's alone. SHe stopedd the Strattera and event hough he was off the wall and hyper, at least he was angery all the time.

~Unknown
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-06, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping I will get some answers soon to what is really going on with him. I feel he could even have a wrong diagnosis.
Old 11-28-06, 01:04 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Its entirely possible Gill. Bipolar II is a rough one to DX in children and hypomania looks suspiciously like hyperactivity. Adolescent onset BP also tends toward more periods of hypomania than depression and the depression may also look more like a period of irritablility and disgust with the world more than what an adult might experience when depressed. This will eventually swing its way into adult BP and the depression will become more pronounced but anyway, enough on that...please stick around and keep us posted will you?
Old 11-28-06, 01:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

steviefranchise is on a distinguished road
I also deal with anger issues with my 15 year old son.

Not sure about the depression meds but I can tell you for sure that when he takes the 36mg Concerta it works wonders.
He wasn't taking it during the weekends so I started asking him to take it on Saturday's and it is has been much better since.
My son was on the 54mg and his dose was lowered.
Perhaps try going back to the 18mg?
Old 11-29-06, 03:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

MGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud of
My non ADHD daughter has been having anger issues for a while too. A lot of it comes from frustration. I don't think it is all from frustration, but definately part of it is. How is your sons day at school? Does it go well? Are there kids bothering him? Does he get along with his teacher?

Maybe some therapy would help. Not with the MD, they are too quick to medicate for problems and too expensive for therapy. Try to get a recommendation for a good therapist.

With depression, anxiety (frustration) a lot of issues can be helped with good therapy.
Old 12-03-06, 11:35 AM

I do think a lot of the anger and frustration comes from what is going on at school. Kids can be pretty mean, and he may be just letting off steam. Fortunately, he has a wonderful, understanding teacher. She really sees the good in him. I think I do need to look into getting him into therapy.
Old 08-20-08, 05:39 PM

Juliak will become famous soon enough
Re: Child has become angry on Concerta!!

are people with ADD generally angrier than non-ADD people? because i have ADD and it does seem that i get angrier than my friends do. (but then again, i am a red-head and they are known for firey temper) but still?

"...dwell in that light, that sudden paradise of sound." -from "moon" by mark strand

"la la la la la... Sing to the rythm of your heart" - Rooney Smile (me)
Old 08-29-08, 05:51 PM

Roop21 is on a distinguished road

I was prescribed 36mg concerta and had many different behavioral effects and just stopped taking it. Anger was not one of them however, sign your kid up for sports.
Old 09-08-08, 03:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

MGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud of

Oh look I posted about this two years ago. Recently found that my non-adhd child has depresion. Depression in children often shows up as irritable. She would wake up grumpy and just be mad at everyone. At the young age the are angry and just figure it must be someones fault. 1st choice is generally parents, then siblings, then friends. She would be grumpy for days. She was just miserable, and there was no cheering her up. A small dose of an antidepressant worked wonders.
Old 09-08-08, 09:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jillette is a jewel in the roughJillette is a jewel in the roughJillette is a jewel in the rough

It may be the med is not for him, my child was terrible on concerta she got mean. She is on Ritalin LA and doing so much better. There is no perfect science to medication it is all trial and error I am afraid. Do you have any help with your son?