ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 12-04-06, 02:06 PM

Dexx King of NY is on a distinguished road
adderall come up as a diff drug during urine test

i am in my final year of law school and am due to fill a new script of dexedrine today. i ran out a few days early, and a friend of mine gave me some of his adderall to hold me over during law finals (every second counts).

once in a while, my shrink will ask me to go for a urine test the day before i get my script, to make sure i am not doing basically anything besides smoke pot, which i do, and he could care less about.

i am concerned, however, that because i took adderall, that i will test positive for adderall as well as dexedrine. i am not familiar with how these screenings work? does it simply test for amphetamines, or do drug tests, for lack of a better word, 'pidgeon hole' each stimulant into a seperate result? please let me know...
Old 12-05-06, 05:34 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,784 Times in 5,851 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
To the best of my knowledge Adderall comes up as simply a stimulent in the urine. . . drug screen test for matabalytes (left overs) in the urine how specific the test gets depends greatly upon the type of test used. . . . .

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 12-05-06, 06:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

luke is on a distinguished road
Hmmm that raises another point, Do medicated stimulants show up in a drug test for illegal stimulants??

Also , are athletes, who are tested for performance enhancing drugs not alowed to take ADD meds??

Does anybody know??
Old 12-05-06, 07:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Yes. The stimulants given as medication are controlled substances and they are chemically the same as the "illegal" stimulants. The thing that makes them legal for you to posess is the fact that you have a prescription.

ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Hmmm that raises another point, Do medicated stimulants show up in a drug test for illegal stimulants??

Also , are athletes, who are tested for performance enhancing drugs not alowed to take ADD meds??

Does anybody know??
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 12-05-06, 07:43 PM

Freeway3137 is on a distinguished road
How long does it "stay in your system?"
Old 05-15-08, 01:53 PM

wreckyou is on a distinguished road
Re: adderall come up as a diff drug during urine test

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post

Does anybody know??
It really depends on the sanctioning for the event the athlete will be competing in... For the anti-doping testing for the Olympics, for example, all the Amphetamine salts(Focalin, Adderal, etc) are on their banned list...
Old 05-15-08, 04:14 PM
Contributor

watts will become famous soon enough

Both adderall and dexedrine are C9 H13 N -- the same chemical structure so they will appear the same in a urine test. Desoxyn, or methamphetamine, is C10 H15 N and will appear as a different metabolite.
The Following User Says Thank You to watts For This Useful Post:
adhdogwalker (05-16-08)
Old 05-15-08, 07:16 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,143 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Suggestion: This forum needs a "ADHD Meds & Drug Testing" sticky. This is a topic that never gets covered in the popular guides to ADHD and yet is so very important in the workplace etc.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Pauligirl (05-21-08)
Old 05-15-08, 09:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Most standard drug tests screen for the basics such as opiates, amphetamines, mdma, cocaine, and pot. I've taken two drug tests over the last year for my security clearance. One was a standard urine test and the other was a hair folicle. I got flagged on each test for amphetamines in which a doctor called me to discuss. He had me fax a prescription history report to him and that was it. No biggie

J
Old 05-17-08, 05:44 AM
Contributor

fxfake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckyou View Post
It really depends on the sanctioning for the event the athlete will be competing in... For the anti-doping testing for the Olympics, for example, all the Amphetamine salts(Focalin, Adderal, etc) are on their banned list...
It's not just stimulants and steroids that are banned. Beta-blockers (heart/blood pressure medication) are banned for some events (biathlon for example).

I imagine that the drug tests for such events are orders of magnitude fancier than ordinary employment, etc. drug tests.
Old 02-25-10, 11:48 PM

ADHD 75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by watts View Post
Both adderall and dexedrine are C9 H13 N -- the same chemical structure so they will appear the same in a urine test. Desoxyn, or methamphetamine, is C10 H15 N and will appear as a different metabolite.
what about blood tests? is it methamphetamines or amphetamines?
Old 02-26-10, 01:49 AM
Contributor

bumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of light

Actualy I know this guy that is also ADHD and took adderall. He and I both applied for the same job and were both tested for drugs. I passed he didnt. We both have scripts for adderall. The test was able to differentiate between pharmaceutical and street drugs. Turns out he was using meth.
Old 02-26-10, 02:31 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebe View Post
Actualy I know this guy that is also ADHD and took adderall. He and I both applied for the same job and were both tested for drugs. I passed he didnt. We both have scripts for adderall. The test was able to differentiate between pharmaceutical and street drugs. Turns out he was using meth.
Some tests ARE Able to differentiate between adderall and meth, they tend to be more expensive and more recent but they are capable.

THat being said, telling the difference between Adderall (75% dextroamphetamine/25% levoamphetamine) from Dex (100% Dextroamphetamine) is VERY unlikely. Quite simply they are just opposite steroisomers, a GCMS wouldn't be able to tell the difference (though there are other things that can, a non-chemistry lab would be unlikely to have these machines as they are expensive and very specialized).