ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-09-06, 08:41 PM

Scooba is on a distinguished road
I take Adderall and Ritalin, anyone else?

My doctor has me on adderall xr and then an optional does of ritalin instant release after that wears off, does anyone else take anything like this?

I feel like they work totally different and I just wish adderall xr lasted longer. Also, why wouldn't the doc put me on adderall xr with adderall ir?
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooba For This Useful Post:
Mesaana (04-13-11)
Old 12-10-06, 02:39 PM
Forum Guru

SolarLife will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooba
My doctor has me on adderall xr and then an optional does of ritalin instant release after that wears off, does anyone else take anything like this?

I feel like they work totally different and I just wish adderall xr lasted longer. Also, why wouldn't the doc put me on adderall xr with adderall ir?
Good question. The duration of action of Ritalin IR is 2 to 4 hours verses the about 5 hours for Adderall IR. Your doctor may be concerned about insomnia. There is nothing wrong with this combination though. Talk to your doctor.
Old 12-10-06, 03:30 PM

Scooba is on a distinguished road
That's interesting. She has me taking 10mg of Ritalin IR at a time, but she knows that some days I take 2 10 mg doses in a row (3 or 4 hours apart) if I need it to work longer, now I really wonder why she chose this. I just saw her so I don't see her again until March. Also, she knows I have had no proble, sleeping at all, I can sleep any time on eiter of these pills.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-06, 08:10 PM
Jr Member

Lynners is on a distinguished road
I take 25 mg of Adderall at 8:00 am and then 10 mg of Ritalin LA at 1 or 2 pm. I like the combination of both for now. I am in the first few months after diagnosis - so who knows where I will end up.

Last edited by Lynners; 12-31-06 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: mis-spelled word
Old 01-03-07, 01:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

em123 is on a distinguished road
I was actually thinking about this a while ago and the combanation I didnt think it was possible, i made an appointment with my doc cause i want ritalin also. I have two questions I hope someone can answer before my appt on theursday.

1. Whats ritalin like? My two friends were on it before and they always just seemed like zombies to me. My one friend took it pretty much his whole life and got off it like a year before I met him and he seems like he has a hard time concentrating all the time ? Is it the complete opposite of adderall, Iv heard some say its like dope while adderall is like crack? does it stimulate the mind liek adderall does?

2. With adderall and ritalin combined does that even out the zombie effect at all?

My adderall lasts me the whole day, but it doesnt seem to help me calm down much anymore im on 30mg xr. It only seems to helps me calm down if i get little sleep thats why Im iterested in getting it so hopefully someone can help me out before i go to the doctor..

I really want the adderall effect still because I love learning now, i retain everything in school, I dont want ritalin messing that up. my grades are finally b's and not F's lol.

thanks
Old 01-31-07, 03:25 PM

SoCal21 is on a distinguished road
Not sure it is good to take both Ritalin and Adderall simultaneously, but I am not a doctor. Taking different types of stimulants can cause a synergistic effect in your brain chemistry. BUT, if your doctor prescribes it, then do it. Consider yourself lucky you have options.
Old 01-31-07, 10:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

Bipolarruledout will become famous soon enough
They DO INDEED work totaly differant. XR is intended for once per day dosing and methylphenidate is certainly more mild and shorter acting. He may be concearned about overmedicating you or insomnia. I don't think it would be a steath to ask for an IR dose instread if the ritalin isn't working well. I can certainly see how this combo may work very well for some people however. Make sure any IR dose he gives you is at most 50% of the XR dose....less is sometimes good later in the day. Seems like many doctors turn stupid when they dose the two.

FYI methlyfenidate is a dopamine reuptake inhibater and should cause no interactions if taken at least 8 hours after the adderall XR. Even if taken together there is not likely to be interaction complications but it's not something *I* would recomend. Adderall increases the release of dopamine. If combining the doses you would of cource would want to take 50% less of each. Keep in mind that methlyphenidate is generaly dosed at at least 150% of an adderell dose.

Don't assume that your doctor magicaly came up with the perfect drug combo for you... doctors are human and assumtions along with personal bias and politics almost always come into play when they should not.... but then we ALL are like that.... if your doctors perscribes arsenic I would certainly recomend against taking it.

ADD drugs can cause the "zombie" effect and it's more pronounced when starting out on the drug. It's important to weigh the benifits against the side effects. Stimulants act very differantly in people with ADD but if comparing to street drugs than ritalin can most be compared to cocaine and adderall is an amphatmine blend.... amphetamines are less abused now with the advent of methamphatmine. There are big differances between the two but there continues to be conciderable debate about this issue.... one I don't feel like going into at the moment.
Old 02-01-07, 06:46 AM
Jr Member

Lynners is on a distinguished road
Talking Adderall and Ritalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolarruledout
FYI methlyfenidate is a dopamine reuptake inhibater and should cause no interactions if taken at least 8 hours after the adderall XR. Even if taken together there is not likely to be interaction complications but it's not something *I* would recomend. Adderall increases the release of dopamine. If combining the doses you would of cource would want to take 50% less of each. Keep in mind that methlyphenidate is generaly dosed at at least 150% of an adderell dose.

Don't assume that your doctor magicaly came up with the perfect drug combo for you... .
My doc says it is ok for me to take Adderall and Ritalin together. Adderall is a combo of 4 amphetamines of which ritalin is one. So, there should be no problem with taking Adderall and Ritalin since the Adderall contains the same thing as Ritalin. I trust my doc's judgement and as always your doc is the best resource for medication questions since he knows your medical history and has examined you.
Old 02-01-07, 12:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Lynners: Ritalin (methylphenidate) is not an amphetamine. Adderall is a mixture of 4 amphetamines. Adderall contains NO ritalin-type med. Methylphenidate is similar to amphetamines in that it's a stimulant but they are 2 different 'animals' in how the operate.J
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1973 For This Useful Post:
Ms.Maddbord (04-12-11)
Old 02-07-07, 12:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

Bipolarruledout will become famous soon enough
I would certainly not recomend against someone taking the combo as fatal reactions are not likely. I did wish to suggest however they do do indeed work differantly and concurent admisistraion in practice has not been well studied. Given current knowledge it would seem most prudent not to perscribe them concurrently. It should also not be understated that every drug has risks and side effects that should be weighed againsts their benifit.... clearly your doctor feels the benifits outweigh the risks.
Old 02-09-07, 08:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

bandie08 will become famous soon enough
Adderall XR and Prozac for mild depression/anxiety

Trumpet + ADHD = Fun
Old 04-12-11, 12:59 AM

Ms.Maddbord is on a distinguished road
Re: I take Adderall and Ritalin, anyone else?

ritalin-DRI-dopamine re-uptake inhibitor-adderall-mixed amphetamine salts- dopamine agonist among other things----i want to take them together because they both help me in different areas-they both curb my impulsiveness,and hyperactivity,but the concerta i am on allows mw way more mental clarity and ability to prioritize tasks but the adderall boosts my physical energy,lifts my mood,and even my libibdo,which vanished after childbirth....i need to investigate further into hormone levels,electrolyte imbalances,and i am dedicated to therapy,but in the meantime,more stimulants seem to be a good idea
Old 04-12-11, 01:01 AM

Ms.Maddbord is on a distinguished road

i guess too much dopamine causes psychosis,but i believe i am severely deficient and in no danger of overload
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms.Maddbord For This Useful Post:
MattMa (10-06-13)
Old 04-12-11, 02:12 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

surferdude123 has a spectacular aura aboutsurferdude123 has a spectacular aura about

I have this/done this, all through my first 2 years of med school......sigh

They DO work totally different. You're right.

However, your receptors will become downregulated (Fry) quicker, meaning, tolerance will develop quicker than a solo stimulant.

That said, if it's effective, and it works, stick with it. Because it's better than dealing with the core symptoms of ADHD.

On a side.....it's interesting you say Adderall doesn't last very long for you....I could take a 10mg XR at 7am, and still be awake at 3am that night......lol annoying. but I prefer Adderall to Ritalin.
The Following User Says Thank You to surferdude123 For This Useful Post:
GuamBomb (04-13-11)
Old 04-13-11, 04:31 PM
Jr Member

GuamBomb is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: I take Adderall and Ritalin, anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude123 View Post
I have this/done this, all through my first 2 years of med school......sigh

They DO work totally different. You're right.

However, your receptors will become downregulated (Fry) quicker, meaning, tolerance will develop quicker than a solo stimulant.

That said, if it's effective, and it works, stick with it. Because it's better than dealing with the core symptoms of ADHD.

On a side.....it's interesting you say Adderall doesn't last very long for you....I could take a 10mg XR at 7am, and still be awake at 3am that night......lol annoying. but I prefer Adderall to Ritalin.
It's interesting you are a medical student and have been using both these medications. I am in the same position myself and have just recently been prescribed low dose ritalin. I have done a little research on both clinical trials and anecdotal evidence which have each led me to become more curious about the effects of adderall.
Surferdude, since you have experienced both of these meds, and are a medical student, would you mind detailing why you prefer adderall over ritalin?
thanks for any help you can provide.
The Following User Says Thank You to GuamBomb For This Useful Post:
MattMa (10-06-13)