ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-17, 12:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

WhiteOwl is a name known to allWhiteOwl is a name known to allWhiteOwl is a name known to allWhiteOwl is a name known to allWhiteOwl is a name known to allWhiteOwl is a name known to allWhiteOwl is a name known to all
Hello!

Hi, I don't really know where to start. I'm surprised I have not found this forum until now, since I've been aware of my ADD for a couple years now and have read a lot about it online. Glad to have found it now, though!

I am 33 yrs old and I have 4 kids (13,10,5,2). I was a med tech in the Air Force for 8 yrs, separated to be home with my kids, and am now a full time college student working towards a degree in the Health Information Technology. My husband and I are separated and heading toward divorce, after years of emotional abuse and undiagnosed conditions on both sides. I am finally aware of and working on my issues, but he is not. I was also verbally/emotionally abused by my father, so I've always had low self-esteem.

After realizing that I have had ADD and anxiety all my life, I started putting the puzzle pieces together and everything started making sense. Questions I have been asking myself since childhood, have finally been answered. I now know why I never paid attention in school, why I would always space out when my friends were talking, why I have always been so impulsive, so forgetful, why I was always so extremely shy, why I have panic attacks whenever I have to speak in front of others, etc.

I finally made myself go see a therapist the other day and I have just been diagnosed with general and social anxiety. The therapist agrees with me that it sounds like I have ADD, but will test me and officially diagnose me next week. We are going to do cognitive behavioral therapy and start meds. I'm trying not to get my hopes up and expect a miracle, but I am very hopeful to find some relief and "normalcy". Life has been sooooooo hard. I just want to be able to function, have a clear head, have healthy relationships, not always beat myself up and feel like a failure.

My two oldest kids have been on ADHD meds for awhile now and I see how much it helps them, but they deserve a mom who is being treated, as well. It's hard to help them be structured, when I am such a bad example and so disorganized myself. For example, they are much better about picking up after themselves when they take their meds, but they do still have to be reminded of some things. But then *I*, with my ADD, will forget to remind them. I will think up a schedule, plan, or system and then forget to enforce it or carry it out! It's kind of funny and sad at the same time.

Anyways, now that I've shared my life story......I don't know if this was the place to share all this, but I just wanted to get it all out there, it was kind of cathartic. Thank you if you read through it all. I have never felt like I fit in or belonged anywhere because of these issues, and have kind of closed myself off from a lot of people. I'm hoping to connect with people who "get it".
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-28-17)
Old 09-28-17, 01:21 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 19,343 Times in 11,202 Posts
midnightstar has disabled reputation
Re: Hello!

Welcome
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (09-29-17)
Old 09-28-17, 01:46 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

welcome friend!
WhiteOwl (09-29-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-17, 07:16 PM

KitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to all

Welcome! I am new here as well. I can identify with much of what you have experienced. Recently diagnosed and have been researching the ADHD disorder in hopes of better understanding myself. I, too, am looking for others who "get it", who understand where I am coming from. Nice to meet you!
The Following User Says Thank You to KitCat For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (09-29-17)
Old 09-28-17, 09:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,160 Times in 5,395 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Forums, and thanks for sharing of yourself.

And yes, you do belong here, and you are well and truly welcome because you are home at last.

Best to You,
Ian
WhiteOwl (09-29-17)
Old 09-29-17, 07:54 AM

johnbeaming is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
It's nice to be with you here.)
Old 09-29-17, 11:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

WhiteOwl is a name known to allWhiteOwl is a name known to allWhiteOwl is a name known to allWhiteOwl is a name known to allWhiteOwl is a name known to allWhiteOwl is a name known to allWhiteOwl is a name known to all

Thank you for the warm welcomes!
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
KitCat (09-29-17)